As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me deal with a terrible neighbor.

FreiFrei A French Prometheus UnboundDeadwoodRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'll try to keep this short.

Moved in to new apartment building with wife in July. Everything was good, we had nice neighbors that were very respectful, the only exceptions being the girls living directly next to us occasionally being loud on the porch, but it didn't happen often at all and eventually just stopped.

Anyhow, about a month ago a guy moved in downstairs with his girlfriend. One of their first nights there on a weeknight, had several people over (mostly people who looked 16-18) drinking and yelling on our steps, basically directly outside our windows. Went outside and talked to his girlfriend, was very polite and so was she, even went back to make sure she didn't think I was trying to be a bitch or anything since I'm pretty laid back. So, the underage drunks quieted down and things were okay.

Couple nights later, screaming, yelling, pounding on doors and windows at 3am. Apparently he locked girl out of apartment after they had a fight and she would not leave (he is a dick). I came outside and asked if she needed help, to which she responded "I DON'T NEED TO TALK TO ANYONE!" and then started crying and ran off. She apparently moved out, but would come back sometimes, bang on his door and window and even threw a neighbors charcoal grill on the ground. I had reasonable talk with the guy, but he's kind of the typical stand-offish guy with an alpha male complex, he wouldn't directly acknowledge anything or even really show any mutual respect. I'm 24, he's probably 19 or 20, I'd say. I believe that you show people respect until they give you reason not to, and he has given reason not to.

Now, I know the best thing to do is to be to register a complaint, which I did. I talked to our apartment manager and she was very receptive and supportive, she talked to him, but it didn't keep him from blasting music that vibrated our floor, making unnatural amounts of noise at ungodly hours, etc. I have called the apartment manager over there a couple times and she has talked to him more, but it's always just a momentary fix. He stops when he's told, but just a day or two later it's whatever shit again. I don't think I'd care as much as I do if I were not living with my wife, who is not confrontational but still has to get up early and all of that. I'm fairly certain he won't be evicted unless something major happens, so I sort of feel like I have no recourse.

So, I'm not above getting my hands dirty (in perfectly legal ways) but I feel like I don't really have any recourse here. Do any of you have any experience with this or unconventional methods of dealing you'd like to share?

Are you the magic man?
Frei on

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1) call the cops on him. in nyc i think you have to keep sounds below a certain decibel level after 11pm and before 7am. every time he's loud, call the cops. again and again and again.

2) blast music into his place at 7am the next day for every night he is loud past 11pm. hammer shit. stomp on the floor. fog horn directed downward while you have earplugs on.

3) sue him in small claims court.

4) buy him a beer and ask him if he would please be a bit more considerate. think of the women and children, etc., etc., etc.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't buy a minor beer...

If he's really an alpha-male type, I would just keep calling the cops. He's not going to listen to reason, and if you challenge him directly it'll just make things that much worse.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, call the cops.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The cops probably won't do much about noisy neighbors, but you never know.

Just keep registering complaints with the landlord. He'll get kicked out eventually provided a) people are complaining about him and b) the people doing the complaining are good tenants.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just registering complaints with the apartment complex may not be enough.

If you call the cops every time he blasts his music, he'll eventually start getting citations. Also, every time they come out, they have to file a report. If you complain to the apartment complex, and provide police report numbers, they can eventually kick him out.

Unfortunately, you've already done the worst thing you can do, which is identify yourself to him as having a problem with his behavior. It opens you up for any manner of retaliatory behavior, and he knows where you live. Granted, anything he does to you can be dealt with through the legal system, but you still have to deal with him being a dick to you.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess that's another good idea. Talk to the other neighbors and get them to file complaints as well. If enough people do it, I think the landlord's hand will be forced.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you've already done the worst thing you can do, which is identify yourself to him as having a problem with his behavior. It opens you up for any manner of retaliatory behavior, and he knows where you live. Granted, anything he does to you can be dealt with through the legal system, but you still have to deal with him being a dick to you.

The neighbors whose grill was knocked over got into a big argument with him, while I've only ever been friendly and never let on that I reported him. Regardless, he is a scrawny and obviously cowardly man and I am not really worried about any sort of retaliation. In fact, if he tried something, it may even help me. The best thing that could happen would be if something were to provoke him without it leading to me, causing him to behave even worse.

I have not called the police yet, but I guess that's all I can do. Sometimes these things are just little 20 minute affairs, meaning by the times the cops got here, it'd be over and done with... even though sleep had already bee disrupted and all that. Basically, with calling the police, I'm afraid that whatever is happening will stop before they get here and they'll not take future calls to that location as serious.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Frei wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

The neighbors whose grill was knocked over got into a big argument with him, while I've only ever been friendly and never let on that I reported him. Regardless, he is a scrawny and obviously cowardly man and I am not really worried about any sort of retaliation. In fact, if he tried something, it may even help me. The best thing that could happen would be if something were to provoke him without it leading to me, causing him to behave even worse.

I have not called the police yet, but I guess that's all I can do. Sometimes these things are just little 20 minute affairs, meaning by the times the cops got here, it'd be over and done with... even though sleep had already bee disrupted and all that. Basically, with calling the police, I'm afraid that whatever is happening will stop before they get here and they'll not take future calls to that location as serious.
    tell them it's a pattern of behavior and you are making a record because your landlord won't do anything

maybe one contact from them will be enough to scare him into stopping

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe I was just spoiled by good landlords in the past. Hmmm.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We had a situation like this with upstairs neighbors. We called the cops and filed complaints. Enough complaints and they began eviction proceedings. They got noise citations from the police that helped.

I would also look into your lease to see if he's breaking any of it's terms. Our building essentially had quiet hours from 11pm to 7am and enough violations of that could get someone evicted. I would also bother your landlord quite a bit more about this and make it clear you're not going to go away and that they need to take this more seriously.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    LoklarLoklar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Have you considered moving? That sounds awful. It's not your job to fix him, he's probably on coke.

I'd follow advice in this thread but keep an eye out for new places to live as well. I don't know exactly how walking out of your own lease would work, but it's probably at least somewhat in your favour. Most of the time it favours tenants, and it seems like you have a good reason to move and are trying to be reasonable.

Loklar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, prior to moving here, I scouted all the apartment complexes around here and we really like this one. It's a good neighborhood, not near any schools, it's close to the interstate and several stores and restaurants. He has been literally the only problem in what is an otherwise great apartment complex.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there another apartment in this complex that you could move to?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if he is condoning underage drinking then call the cops. I don't think they will anything about it but if he keeps making a ruckus and has someone peeking over his shoulder all the time then he might reconsider being a complete and utter douchebag.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had an experience somewhat like this about 5 years ago - some guy that worked night shifts moved in above us, then at about 11 PM the first Sunday night, music starts blasting, deep bass that thumps right through the ceiling. This continued for weeks(we started calling the police after the third time), eventually culminating with a memorable Friday when music was blared all day, people were yelling and slamming eachother on the floor, and so on. After 5 or 6 calls to the police and probably a dozen to the complex manager, he eventually got evicted.
    Basically, with calling the police, I'm afraid that whatever is happening will stop before they get here and they'll not take future calls to that location as serious.

As So It Goes said, you need to establish a pattern if you're going to force your landlord to take action - dig in your heels and keep calling your landlord, keep calling the police, keep telling your landlord that you're calling the police. Make yourself a pain in the ass until it gets fixed, and don't assume the police aren't going to take you seriously unless it actually happens.

Also, as far as timing goes and the police catching him in the act, make sure you know exactly when your local noise ordinances and/or the lease rules about noise take effect - if quiet hours start at 10 PM and he's still blaring music at 10:01, then don't waste any time and call.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For every short problem, call the landlord and keep a record yourself of every single disturbance and every time you are woken up.

For parties or longer, call the cops.

This mix should cover your bases. As long as you are just reporting noise complaints with the cops it will not change the way they would respond to a different and/or more serious call.

onceling on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd say definitely call the cops the next time it happens.

Many cities have noise ordinances. Where I lived in college, and where I live now, if you are too noisy (particularly when its late) and the cops get involved, you can face a fine.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    all of that, plus documentation.

write down every happening, every call to the landlord, every call to the police. get everything on paper so that should something come of it, you have a written record that can correspond with the written records of the cops and the landlord.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ketherial wrote: »
    1) call the cops on him. in nyc i think you have to keep sounds below a certain decibel level after 11pm and before 7am. every time he's loud, call the cops. again and again and again.

2) blast music into his place at 7am the next day for every night he is loud past 11pm. hammer shit. stomp on the floor. fog horn directed downward while you have earplugs on.

3) sue him in small claims court.

4) buy him a beer and ask him if he would please be a bit more considerate. think of the women and children, etc., etc., etc.

1) yes

2) No, he's 24, not 7. PLUS doing this with a stand-off alpha male person usually just makes the person step up their annoyance, or just straight up punch you in the face

3) I don't see thins going anywhere without paying some serious dollars

4) from the OP it looks like he's past the "we'll be buds" stage. He's asked him to stop like a dozen times, it seems, he's called the manager or landlord several times, the next step is police.

Raneados on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    End wrote: »
    I'd say definitely call the cops the next time it happens.

Many cities have noise ordinances. Where I lived in college, and where I live now, if you are too noisy (particularly when its late) and the cops get involved, you can face a fine.
    The OP described what appears to be a pattern of violating noise ordinances, serving alcohol to minors and domestic disturbances.

Calling the cops is a perfectly legitimate approach here. Once he racks up hundreds of dollars in fine and/or gets arrested for serving booze to minors, he'll likely clean up his act fairly quickly. If not, keep calling the police. Cops love writing tickets.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why did you not call the police for the underage drinking in the first place, the first time it happened?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know how well this would work in your situation, but I have a strategy that I used at an old job when I'd have to kick out junkies, people panhandling, rowdy drunks, etc.

I would go outside and ask them to leave, but I would say that my boss was making me do it. Kind of "we're buds, and I think it's totally cool that you want to smoke crack in front of our store, but my boss is riding my ass about it and I'm gonna get fired if I don't ask you to leave. Can you help me out?"

People seemed to respond better to me asking them to do me a favor rather than me asking them to stop being an asshole. You could phrase it "my wife is getting woken up and she's getting pissed at me and womenamiright bro?"

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From what the OP said, it doesn't seem like this guy cares what the neighbors think. If you've already asked him a number of times to stop and he hasn't, I don't see any point in continuing to waste your time. Unless you're buddies with a group of Hells Angels and they tag along with you the next time you have a conversation with the neighbor.

Let the cops handle it. Keeping the peace is part of their job.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited January 2011
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    I don't know how well this would work in your situation, but I have a strategy that I used at an old job when I'd have to kick out junkies, people panhandling, rowdy drunks, etc.

I would go outside and ask them to leave, but I would say that my boss was making me do it. Kind of "we're buds, and I think it's totally cool that you want to smoke crack in front of our store, but my boss is riding my ass about it and I'm gonna get fired if I don't ask you to leave. Can you help me out?"

People seemed to respond better to me asking them to do me a favor rather than me asking them to stop being an asshole. You could phrase it "my wife is getting woken up and she's getting pissed at me and womenamiright bro?"

It's funny, I did try this approach at first, kind of playing the buddy and the henchman to my wife. The result was the same as when I didn't do that, though... he'd quiet down and just start up again the next day/night.

To the person who asked why I didn't call the cops the first time, that's just kind of... victim blaming. I haven't really had to call the police on anyone before and I definitely didn't think of it.

A development, though, apparently the cops were called on him while I was gone and the apartment manager came over, too, because he was blaring music in the middle of the day so much that two people in the building called the apartment manager. The fact that other people are starting to get involved bodes well.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Call the cops whenever he is blasting his music too late, or if there is underage drinking.

Also, if his GF or whatever she is shows up and starts fighting, whether he lets her in or not, call the cops and report it as domestic violence, they'll show up in a hurry, and are way less likely to let it skate.

I used to live above a guy who would play his music so loud that we couldn't watch TV or do anything, and he refused to turn it down, so we would lay my speakers down on the floor and crank up Metallica or something so loud that it would drown out his music to the point that he couldn't hear his music over ours. This happened 2-3 times before he got the hint and stopped doing it. (I am not condoning this behavior, especially if your other neighbors are home.)

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”