As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Backing up a Mac to a home NAS

jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
The story:

After 3 major hardware failures in 2 years (and one major and one minor data loss), my wife has thrown over the PC and acquired a Macbook pro. After the first data loss, I got a Dlink network drive enclosure, which now serves as our backup array, and which has been working fine in our pre-Mac Linux and PC environment. But with the introduction of the Mac, I'm at a bit of a loss; I want to backup the basics (her documents, pictures and iTunes, as well as mine) without turning the whole thing over to the control of the Mac. And I don't know how.

I'm sure there is some painfully straightforward way of doing this, but I'm pretty ignorant of how macs operate, so I don't even know what other data to include or what questions I should be asking. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
jamesra on