As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CAD Software

NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My question is a pretty simple one: does anybody know of a decent and free 2D CAD program? I only need to be able to use it to edit existing files, and even then it's really only going to be to fix formatting on text boxes and such.

I know there are a lot of free ones out there, but I was wondering if there are any that are really good or, alternatively, really bad.

Nostregar on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know about the 2D market, but you really get what you pay for with 3D CAD software - expect to pay dollar dollar bills.

Do you need a 2D CAD program or an image editing program? There's the GIMP for image editing.

Robman on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I also need a 2D CAD program that can scale and do exact measurements, for a friend.

Will root around as well and let you know if I find anything, Nostregar.

mully on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Robman wrote: »
    I don't know about the 2D market, but you really get what you pay for with 3D CAD software - expect to pay dollar dollar bills.

Do you need a 2D CAD program or an image editing program? There's the GIMP for image editing.

Well, since it may help here is the situation:

I work for a translation company and among other things we translate the text on CAD drawings. The person doing the actual translation has regular CAD software and that's not a problem. It's just that when we get it back from him, some of the text formatting isn't quite right and doesn't fit inside the boxes anymore. So, we just need a program that will let us open the CAD file and tweak the text formatting - that's it. It isn't really worth the money to buy a CAD program since we don't need much functionality out of it.

Also, thanks Mully!

Nostregar on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You might find something on http://www.blender3darchitect.com/2010/07/list-of-open-source-and-free-alternatives-to-autocad/ that will solve your problem.

The primary problem will be how well they support the dwg and dxf file formats, and if they even render the text the same ( font, etc ).

Ethea on
  • Options
    focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/draftsight-overview/

By the same people who make SolidWorks

focused7 on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Google Sketchup?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!