MOTW 1-26-11: Don't be like that, baby...

TexiKenTexiKen EliteRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Graphic Violence
Detective Comics #873 is now my favorite DC book, even beating Secret Six. This issue has fun with fear gas, plus Dick gets his own bat-armor:

Dick gets infected with a fear type gas that could also make him stroke out, he dreams that his legs were eaten by the Mirror House people, Babs wants some more Dick (lolz):

dc873a.jpg

wakes up, rbigns the fight to The Dealer, who Hulks out into a freaky thing. Bat-armor takes him down because it's the best:

dc873b.jpg

And Thunderbolts #152, Hyperion shows us what he's made of:
he takes out a godzilla monster, then tries another one:

tb152a.jpg

tb152b.jpg

TexiKen on

Posts

  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I tried the new Batman and Robin for one issue. I've seen scans here. Now with this, I have to wonder: When did Batman turn into an extension of the Hostel / Saw genre?

    CJG on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Elite Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are you talking about B&R #19? Because the Saw theme lasted for a few pages and turned out to be a ruse.

    None of the Bat-books right now are really grimdark and it's refreshing, although that's supposed to be what Finch's Dark Knight is if it can come out on time.

    TexiKen on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Now I have to ask, Why won't Dick just use the Bat-Armor all the time?

    Silver_Mage on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My moment of the week was picking up Shazam and finding out that the Marvel and Black Marvel families are going to be building themselves back up within the DCU.
    It was a pretty good issue, Freddy comes back, Mary pretends to betray him to Blaze by acting all Black Mary Marvel, punches are thrown and Freddy vows to find a way to repower Billy and Mary. Also, it looks like Freddy and Osiris are gonna go toe to toe in Titans #32.

    They were out of Thunderbolts when I got there though, so that made me sad.

    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This week's Action Comics is the first one I've enjoyed since the Grodd issue, and man, it's great. The Joker is treated pretty much perfectly, despite the fact that he somewhat clashes with the subject matter.

    MastaP on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    I tried the new Batman and Robin for one issue. I've seen scans here. Now with this, I have to wonder: When did Batman turn into an extension of the Hostel / Saw genre?
    Hahaha that's hilarious because of how accurate it is.

    Oh wait upon actually reading the books no it makes no sense at all.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    I tried the new Batman and Robin for one issue. I've seen scans here. Now with this, I have to wonder: When did Batman turn into an extension of the Hostel / Saw genre?
    Hahaha that's hilarious because of how accurate it is.

    Oh wait upon actually reading the books no it makes no sense at all.

    I call em like I see em. Batman and Robin #1 has (what appeared to me) someone strapped to the table in roder to become a "doll". There's knives in Batman's crotch with "Don't mansplain to me". There's drills pointed at Batman/Robin's heads and now nightmare scenes where Dick has had his legs chewed off and Barbara is planning with a knife and his crotch.

    Sure, I haven't read the books, and I might have just tuned in at all the wrong parts, but all I see of Batman and Robin these days are scenes like that. It certainly doesn't motivate me to give the book another try.

    CJG on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    CJG wrote: »
    I tried the new Batman and Robin for one issue. I've seen scans here. Now with this, I have to wonder: When did Batman turn into an extension of the Hostel / Saw genre?
    Hahaha that's hilarious because of how accurate it is.

    Oh wait upon actually reading the books no it makes no sense at all.

    I call em like I see em. Batman and Robin #1 has (what appeared to me) someone strapped to the table in roder to become a "doll". There's knives in Batman's crotch with "Don't mansplain to me". There's drills pointed at Batman/Robin's heads and now nightmare scenes where Dick has had his legs chewed off and Barbara is planning with a knife and his crotch.

    Sure, I haven't read the books, and I might have just tuned in at all the wrong parts, but all I see of Batman and Robin these days are scenes like that. It certainly doesn't motivate me to give the book another try.
    You do realize you are saying Batman, a franchise that heavily relies on the psychotic Rogue's Gallery that has formed over the decades, is using creepy violence. The same Batman that has a cannibalistic crocodile man, a mind-controlling pedophile and a man whose entire schtick is bringing your greatest fears to life. Oh and the Joker.

    This is the same comic that had readers voting on a teenage boy being beaten to death. Twenty years ago.

    Not to mention that you are naming three issues from about two years worth of comics.

    BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Elite Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's the point of the Dick/Babs nightmare scene, it was an odd fear gas that Dick wasn't prepared for that lasted two pages.

    And Una Nemo and all the man-hate comes from the fact she was one of Bruce/Hush's temporary girlfriends who never opened up to her. It's a very Cornell thing in his writing.

    TexiKen on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, Nemo's torture scene was actually a send-up of the whole Saw/Hostel thing which was nice.

    Also my previous post was pretty angry and I have no idea why

    BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    blank you gotta stop being angry

    and start writing that thing

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually scavenged ideas of that thing and am putting it into a new thing I like better

    BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was thinking about what you said, Blank. I guess I see people getting killed by the Joker differently from people being mutilated and living. I find the latter to be much more horrific. Not what I want to see in my Batman comics.

    I think Batman villains used to do all their bad stuff off screen and all we saw was the dead people, or Batman arrived to save them. The origins for bad guys were almost universally brutal, but it seemed that their use in the actual comics was scaled back from the horror of their origins. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

    A good example in comics of someone losing a limb and living that doesn't bother me at all is Oliver Queen in The Dark Knight. It happened off screen, in the past. There's also the context that Superman did it because Oliver wouldn't stop his anti-government campaign and Superman doesn't kill. Ultimately, he is initially presented in the comic as missing an arm and it's old history at that point, so it didn't bother me.

    I mean, they used to tell good Batman stories under the Comics Code 20 years ago without scenes like this.

    CJG on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They do good stories in current batman books without scenes like that, too.

    Like, all of them.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MastaP wrote: »
    This week's Action Comics is the first one I've enjoyed since the Grodd issue, and man, it's great. The Joker is treated pretty much perfectly, despite the fact that he somewhat clashes with the subject matter.

    The bit where he was making fun of Luthor and Luthor caught on mid-sentence was great.

    Algertman on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My MotW was picking up the first trade of Powers. Damn this is good. I'm going to try for the whole set at some point.

    Lalabox on
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They do good stories in current batman books without scenes like that, too.

    Like, all of them.

    Huh?

    Do you mean books with Batman in the title as opposed to the Detective Comics scan at the top of the page?

    CJG on
  • descdesc the '87 stick up kids Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Casanova: Gula 1 for MOTW. It's so ridiculous and frenetic and over the top. Love it.

    desc on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fables for Bufkin, the best monkey ever.

    TeaSpoon on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    They do good stories in current batman books without scenes like that, too.

    Like, all of them.

    Huh?

    Do you mean books with Batman in the title as opposed to the Detective Comics scan at the top of the page?

    All of them, all the books.

    All the books you don't actually read but like to opine at length about.

    Particularly since the events you're referencing are specifically fake things that don't happen in books that tend to be written in much the same style you say you're pining for a return to.

    I mean fuck, if you said "Green Lantern" I would get it, but you may as well complain of the violence in Knight and Squire.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All of them, all the books.

    All the books you don't actually read but like to opine at length about.

    Particularly since the events you're referencing are specifically fake things that don't happen in books that tend to be written in much the same style you say you're pining for a return to.

    I mean fuck, if you said "Green Lantern" I would get it, but you may as well complain of the violence in Knight and Squire.

    <blink>

    I feel like words don't mean what I think they should mean in this conversation.

    CJG on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Elite Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In B&R #19 the drills to the head were paper mache, a deliberate ruse to keep Dick and Damian away from the real goal.

    In Detective #873, Babs going crazy for Dick's dick was a nightmare brought on by fear gas.

    Both these things were feints. In fact the only deaths in Detective Comics for this first arc was when a guy crashed his car, and when another guy got filled with Poison Ivy spores to shut him up. It's a dark book because this is Gotham, but it's nowhere near early 2000's Batman stuff.

    TexiKen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Casanova: Gula 1 for MOTW. It's so ridiculous and frenetic and over the top. Love it.

    It so hard to trade wait this. I bought the original Casanova comics as they came out and it seems I have misplaced them. I was all set to buy both of the trades when the Marvel re-do thing was announced.

    it looks sooo good too

    Do the Marvel re-dos include the bizarre back matter from the original printings?

    DouglasDanger on
    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
Sign In or Register to comment.