As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dreaded BSOD

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I am starting to get BSODs with increasing frequency.

I can tell when one is coming, because my computer slows to an absolute crawl. When it happens in games, I get less than 1 FPS, sound is all distorted and skippy, mouse pointer jumps around. Today was the first time it happened while I was at my desktop, just starting KOTOR in Steam.

After ~30s of that, it bluescreens. I can't remember the whole error message, but it is something about kernel_stack. The rest of it talks about new hardware and disabling it (I don't have any new hardware). Is there a log of the bluescreen somewhere so I can get more info from it?

Then, when it reboots, it gives me a system disk error, like my hard drive isn't connected or doesn't have Windows installed. Sometimes restarting fixes it, sometimes it happens again on restart. Letting it sit for a few minutes and/or replugging the hard drive cable seems to help if restarting doesn't work. Hard drive is on a SATA cable.

Once I restart, everything appears normal until it happens again. It used to happen extremely sporadically, less than once a month. The past month or two, it has been increasing in frequency. Up to every few days now. I am worried some piece of hardware is dying, but I'm not sure which one it may be.

Running Vista, I can pull up hardware specs if need be.

captaink on

• Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, sounds like it could be a hard drive problem.

Try running all the standard defragging on it and see if that does anything.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    SkeezicksSkeezicks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you happen to know what the STOP code was on the BSOD?

It could be as simple as a bad SATA cable. Try replacing it.

In case it is your hard drive, you can try to do an error scan with a program like HD Tune. (Scroll down a bit for version 2.55, it's free.)

Skeezicks on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the first thing I would do is start up the task manager before playing.

check out how much memory the game is using at the start, at 15 minutes and at 30 minutes.

if it's going up then what's happening most likely is that the game has a memory leak and is using up all of your system resources until everything is gone. then it tries to grab a value that isn't available and crashes. that would explain the lag from your mouse right before the crash.

I also came across some rather dated reports about a problem with the audio causing similar crashes and slowdowns.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

check out how much memory the game is using at the start, at 15 minutes and at 30 minutes.

if it's going up then what's happening most likely is that the game has a memory leak and is using up all of your system resources until everything is gone. then it tries to grab a value that isn't available and crashes. that would explain the lag from your mouse right before the crash.

I also came across some rather dated reports about a problem with the audio causing similar crashes and slowdowns.

A game's memory leak would not account for the system disk errors on startup. It also sounds like the bsods are happening outside of games.

Skeezicks on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Skeezicks wrote: »
    Do you happen to know what the STOP code was on the BSOD?

It could be as simple as a bad SATA cable. Try replacing it.

In case it is your hard drive, you can try to do an error scan with a program like HD Tune. (Scroll down a bit for version 2.55, it's free.)

I did replace the SATA cable, forgot to say. Still happens.

Going to run a scandisk overnight.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

A game's memory leak would not account for the system disk errors on startup. It also sounds like the bsods are happening outside of games.

Yes, it's certainly not a specific game. I've had it happen in WoW, KOTOR, and STALKER recently.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HD Tune error scan came up with nothing.

captaink on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My first thought is heat.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hardware specs would help, as well as heat/power info. In fact, this sounds suspicously like a broken CPU fan - as the computer gets hotter it destablizes and eventually crashes. Modern CPUs slow down if they are reaching their heat threshold, so I'm guessing yours does that until it basically stops.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Probably heat related, but at least with a desktop that's easier to fix. I've had to have a desk fan blowing on my laptop for 4 years now...

Peccavi on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I would also chalk up the laggy mouse to the CPU before memory. USB has a fair amount of CPU overhead, so if your CPU is getting clocked down due to heat, or is overloaded and too busy USB devices won't work as well.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Well, sounds like it could be a hard drive problem.

Try running all the standard defragging on it and see if that does anything.

You don't want to defrag a failing harddrive. It won't help and will just put more strain on an already failing device. What you'll want to do is clone it to a new one or otherwise extract your data before it gives up for good.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can get a bit more information by analyzing the minidump files that Windows can generate on BSODs. There's a pretty straightforward guide here. The guide is for XP, but you should still be able to generate minidump files and analyze them similarly. A more thorough guide from Microsoft on this subject can be found here.

If the faulting module in the minidump file changes with each BSOD, it's sometimes a good indication that you've got bad RAM. Consistency in the faulting module can sometimes help track down what's going wrong. It's much more definitive for software, rather than hardware, issues, but it can still help.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Weird that heat would kick up in the winter. But it does get very hot when the heater comes on. I will keep an eye on it.

The processor is an intel Core2 quad core 2.4 GHz

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Weird. I have the dump file turned on, but the output file is dated last May.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have an ASUS Motherboard, running their AI Suite lets me see temps. Says the CPU is at 42 C right now.

captaink on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thats fine, pushing 70c is worrisome. Run a game and see what happens, or go get Prime95 and stress test.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    captaink wrote: »

You haven't disabled your page file have you? It can't write dumps if the page file isn't present. That and some types of crashes prevent dumps from being written. Such as when the hard drive croaks.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

You haven't disabled your page file have you? It can't write dumps if the page file isn't present. That and some types of crashes prevent dumps from being written. Such as when the hard drive croaks.

No, never messed with the page file.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh and the chkdsk completed overnight. Looks clean:
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x12970.
    592704 file records processed. 2614 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 60 reparse records processed. 713946 index entries processed. 0 unindexed files processed. 592704 security descriptors processed. Cleaning up 683 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 683 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 683 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream...
    60622 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    36829440 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    592688 files processed. File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    41720221 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
    Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

625129471 KB total disk space.
    457314808 KB in 444041 files.
    213040 KB in 60625 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    720739 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    166880884 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    156282367 total allocation units on disk.
    41720221 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    40 0b 09 00 61 b3 07 00 16 e4 0d 00 00 00 00 00 @...a...........
    ab 09 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....<...........
    30 c7 e4 76 00 00 00 00 50 23 e8 ff 00 00 00 00 0..v....P#......

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

captaink on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So if you're letting your computer sit there idle, does it crash and reboot?
    Does it crash if you do intensive processing?
    How about if you sat and let it ding away at your HDD for a while?
    If you ran Bart's Stuff Test , http://www.nu2.nu/bst/ , for HDD reading and writing, does/would that cause it to explode?

Are all the fans spinning on the inside of the case?
    If you go into BIOS, how fast does it say your CPU fan is running?
    I didn't see which video card you're using, but there are utilities that state how fast the fan is running and how hot the GPU is. You should download and install the correct one for your video card and see what it says.

Does it crash on every game? Or just on semi-graphically intense games? I.E. if you ran something like Ski-Free (lol), does it crash on that? What about if you ran it in KOTOR or WOW and turned the resolution and gfx down, just as a test?

What does the Event Viewer say? It should have something in there at the time when it crashed.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So if you're letting your computer sit there idle, does it crash and reboot?
    Does it crash if you do intensive processing?
    How about if you sat and let it ding away at your HDD for a while?
    If you ran Bart's Stuff Test , http://www.nu2.nu/bst/ , for HDD reading and writing, does/would that cause it to explode?
    No
    Not sure, I can try that application.
    Are all the fans spinning on the inside of the case?
    If you go into BIOS, how fast does it say your CPU fan is running?
    I didn't see which video card you're using, but there are utilities that state how fast the fan is running and how hot the GPU is. You should download and install the correct one for your video card and see what it says.
    Yes.
    Haven't checked.
    I have a GTX 260, I have the EVGA precision app running. GPU temp is a 52 C right now. Same application can control fan speed. I have it set to auto, which is 40%. Doesn't give RPMs.
    Does it crash on every game? Or just on semi-graphically intense games? I.E. if you ran something like Ski-Free (lol), does it crash on that? What about if you ran it in KOTOR or WOW and turned the resolution and gfx down, just as a test?
    Crashes appear to be random. This most recent one occured as I was launching KOTOR, the steam launching window was up when everything went haywire. So I don't think it's just the GPU.
    What does the Event Viewer say? It should have something in there at the time when it crashed.
    All it has is "The previous system shutdown at 7:32:03 PM on 1/26/2011 was unexpected." There are no events around 7:32, closest one is at 6:50.

captaink on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If the error is KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE try this

Turn off the page file and run a defrag. Once done, run chkdsk /r and schedule for reboot. Reboot

Once booted, turn your page file back on, min size should be 1.5x physical RAM (if you have 2 GB, set it for 3072 min 4096 max)

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why can you not try that application? It's a 32-bit application. At least try it.
    Go check to see how fast your main CPU fan speed is. It might be spinning, but not fast enough.

Your GPU looks like it's fine.

Do you have case fans? Are they running?

And by crashing at random, do you mean that there is absolutely no discernible pattern to it crashing, or you haven't paid attention to it other than the most recent time when it crashed on KOTOR?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why can you not try that application? It's a 32-bit application. At least try it.
    Go check to see how fast your main CPU fan speed is. It might be spinning, but not fast enough.

Your GPU looks like it's fine.

Do you have case fans? Are they running?

And by crashing at random, do you mean that there is absolutely no discernible pattern to it crashing, or you haven't paid attention to it other than the most recent time when it crashed on KOTOR?

The stuff test I will try.

ASUS AI suite shows CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, and PWR.

They are 1660 RPM, 1700 RPM, 1695 RPM, and 0 RPM respectively. I think it's confusing chassis fan 2 and power fan, because I don't have a second chassis fan. The power fan is working, I can see it.

The crashes could have a pattern, but it's not something I can discern. They are only every few days, and it's not reproducible. The only pattern is that I always get the system disk error afterwards.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It could be a virus. Have you run an Anti-virus program?

Skeezicks on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I did a full system scan through Avast! a week ago. Running another one now, but it should have picked up anything.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Playing STALKER for a while. Temps go up to 78 C on the GPU, 55 C on the CPU.

captaink on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Turn off the automatic restarts on blue screens.

Its under boot and recovery options in the properties of my computer.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok, finally got one to come up. Happened sometime while I was at work, so clearly the computer wasn't in use at all.

I took a picture with my phone

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/captainkeel/IMAG0016.jpg (linked for huge)

Googling that stuff right now.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Googling isn't turning up much that is new or comprehensible to me.

captaink on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks like bad harddrive sector to me, specifically where your pagefile is trying to exist.

Run a chkdsk C: /R from cmd. It will ask you if you want to run the scan on next boot, y/n?

Hit Y, then reboot.

After it starts again, you can review the results under application logs (it shows up as a Winlogon event I believe).

Ruckus on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, finally got one to come up. Happened sometime while I was at work, so clearly the computer wasn't in use at all.

I took a picture with my phone

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/captainkeel/IMAG0016.jpg (linked for huge)

Googling that stuff right now.

Have you tried this?
    Spudge wrote: »
    If the error is KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE try this

Turn off the page file and run a defrag. Once done, run chkdsk /r and schedule for reboot. Reboot

Once booted, turn your page file back on, min size should be 1.5x physical RAM (if you have 2 GB, set it for 3072 min 4096 max)

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah that's a paging error, most likely bad hard drive, or one on it's way out.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No, haven't run chkdsk. Forgot to last night.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Don't forget to turn off your page file beforehand. KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE error directly relates to a bad block in the portion of the HDD used for page file operations

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok. I'll do that now and move to my laptop.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    592704 file records processed. 1760 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 60 reparse records processed. 711716 index entries processed. 0 unindexed files processed. 592704 security descriptors processed. Cleaning up 161 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 161 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 161 unused security descriptors.
    59507 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    36188656 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    592688 files processed. File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    55673640 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

625129471 KB total disk space.
    401506384 KB in 423101 files.
    208236 KB in 59508 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    720291 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    222694560 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    156282367 total allocation units on disk.
    55673640 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    40 0b 09 00 3a 5d 07 00 1f 5c 0d 00 00 00 00 00 @...:]...\......
    38 09 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 8...<...........
    30 c7 b7 77 00 00 00 00 50 23 71 ff 00 00 00 00 0..w....P#q.....

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

Looks clean

captaink on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I want to say HDD error too, but that HDD scan looks pretty awesome. It might be klonking out entirely, but I dunno.

Error page/user story reads like whenever you do something memory intensive for a solid stretch, the OS is paging out some of it's functions (giving the game or whatev RAM priority) and then promptly loses its shit.

What's your page file usage like when you game? Heavy? May not be the HDD itself, but the ability of the OS to make proper use of it. You could try running a repair of the OS; if you can't find the wrinkle, sometimes its just easier to iron the whole damn shirt.

Sarcastro on