As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k]New Codex in October: The Ravening Storming Ravens

• Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nax wrote: »
    It Burns wrote: »
    Next secret santa everyone mails him a brush so he gets off his ass and paints everything.

In my defense, over half of the models of mine in those last shots are painted :P

Counter: My first game with IG was with a fully painted 1500 point army.;-)

Was it based?

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It was. He had like 3,000 points of IG fully painted before he ever played a game.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Damnit Tim you're making us look bad!

It Burns on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know what you can say to a guy that had a fully painted marine company and then 3k of painted IG before he plays his first game... wait, yes I do. You say, "damn, nice models!"

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To counter my own counter: I'd give up a good number of those models to have the free time to play more games.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, its nice to know that I'm not the only one that spent a bunch of money/time before ever playing a game. I had about 2750 of painted IG before I played a game, last month actually. Was something like 6 chimeras, 6 leman russ, 2 hydras, 2 vendettas, 4 sentinels, and ~60 infantry. Still want to do some type of unit markings for them though. Now I have about 500pts of Blood Angels painted too. Still have yet to play a game over 1k though, grad school takes up way too much time.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ogotai wrote: »
    Well, its nice to know that I'm not the only one that spent a bunch of money/time before ever playing a game. I had about 2750 of painted IG before I played a game, last month actually. Was something like 6 chimeras, 6 leman russ, 2 hydras, 2 vendettas, 4 sentinels, and ~60 infantry. Still want to do some type of unit markings for them though. Now I have about 500pts of Blood Angels painted too. Still have yet to play a game over 1k though, grad school takes up way too much time.

Take solace in the fact that you own twice as many Hydras as the guy who everyone calles, "that crazy IG dude."

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited January 2011
    So yeah, yesterday was a good time. Slapnuts is an awesome dude, and I hope I get to play him again sometime :)

He wanted me to play a ridiculous list, so I took some things that I would never normally field or pair together. It looked like:

Mephiston
    Sanguinor

Lemartes with 7 Death Company (jump packs, 3 power weapons, 1 fist)
    Furioso with Talons in a Pod
    Death Company Dread with Talons in a Pod

10 Assault Marines (2 melta guns, fist, jump packs)
    10 Assault Marines (2 melta guns, fist) in a Land Raider Redeemer

Funny moments:

- My Redeemer immobilizing itself in the turn it was going to drop a flame template on Ragnar and his Wolf Guard that were conveniently coming around a corner and in a flame template shape :)
    - My Redeemer's Assault Cannon wrecking Logan's Land Raider (yes, really, Scurvy)
    - Slapnuts moving Ragnar and the wolf guard toward my death company dread. I explained to him what blood talons do. Ragnar and the wolf guard moving away from the death company dread :)
    - The drop pod then becoming the closest visible unit and that death company dread getting stuck until the bottom of turn 6.
    - Every single reference to the cheating bastard from Mystery Shadow's LGS every time I did something with the Sanguinor

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    - Every single reference to the cheating bastard from Mystery Shadow's LGS every time I did something with the Sanguinor

Yes. This. So much anger at a guy we've only heard about from a guy we've never met.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What am I? Chopped liver? :)

Our game was a lot of fun and playing with Nax is something everybody should do. Its always nice to have someone who knows all the rules and is really chill about stuff.

I took 1,500 points of Nurgle vs his BA. I found out a few things:

1. MCs no longer get cover from craters (still stuck in 4e I guess)
    2. Mephy can destroy a daemon prince
    3. Oblits can shrug off a lot of heavy bolter and assault cannon shots

The game ended in a draw with me making an about face around top of turn 3 to retreat back to my objective after being utterly shunted by a furioso and meph.

Also, this was the first time my defiler has EVER gotten the charge into CC. It killed a bike then put 2 wounds on mephy before exploding.

Spherick on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think everyone has that one model that sucks it up big time, despite being good in theory. For me it's my Hammerhead, which rolls a one to hit and wound about a third of the time. Its been named the fail boat, and is as consistent as it is horrible. It is almost never shot at, and while its burst cannons can do some damage, its rail gun is like a wet noodle. I think this is the reason why I was able to get in on ebay for super cheap, I think the model is cursed and the previous owner just wanted it out.

saluksic on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Slapnuts wrote: »

Yes. This. So much anger at a guy we've only heard about from a guy we've never met.

Pretty sure it's not even really directed at that guy specifically, since we wouldn't know him from Adam, but a much greater store of rage directed at cheaters in general suddenly finding a lens to focus through.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cross from Painting thread, here is that IG army I rarely get to use.

Few guys left to base in the IG and all the BA, and 2 more sentinels and a bassy to wash. I think all the IG tanks need unit markers of some type, just not sure yet what I want to do with them.

everything.jpg

assault marines

assaults.jpg

Libby, Honor Guard, Devistators

hgdev.jpg

Libby
    libby.jpg

officers, primaris, MoO
    16158376.jpg

sargents
    sarg.jpg

special weapons
    specialsm.jpg

lasgunners
    troopse.jpg

rocket teams
    77938555.jpg

sentinels
    sente.jpg

chimeras
    chimeras.jpg

hydras
    hydras.jpg

leman russ
    lr1n.jpg
    lr2m.jpg

vendettas
    valkf.jpg
    valk2.jpg

Ogotai on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, it occured to me yesterday, while playing a friend game of 40k, that it seems kinda silly to just have one major piece of scenery in each 'tile' of the board.

Like... shouldn't there be little stuff laying around, too?

What kind of tables do you guys play on/like/recommend?

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Space Marines only, no special characters, Final Destination.

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    To Colonel Ogotai:

Dear sir,

I am contacting you to inquire as to the place from which you aquired those excellent Hydra turrets.

You Humble Servant,

Colonel Hector Penny, CO 6th Arcadian Infantry

*Signed but not read.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    So, it occured to me yesterday, while playing a friend game of 40k, that it seems kinda silly to just have one major piece of scenery in each 'tile' of the board.

One with at least 25% of the table space being cover, and a good mixture of things that block LoS, things that just give cover saves, and things that disrupt movement and otherwise throw a wrench in clear fire lanes and deployment.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    One with at least 25% of the table space being cover, and a good mixture of things that block LoS, things that just give cover saves, and things that disrupt movement and otherwise throw a wrench in clear fire lanes and deployment.

Man. Played my nids vs orks, we had set up the terrain diagonally against the long sides... and then rolled spearhead, meaning nearly all terrain was now parallel to our deployment zones. Nothing but one big firing lane for Ork Lootas.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Generally, the guidelines in the rulebook are pretty OK; mark out a quarter of your table, fill it edge-to-edge with bits of scenery of various types, then redistribute those bits in a pleasing pattern. You might then want to add D3+3 6" long sections of barricade to break up really obvious lines of fire, but that's not always necessary.

See, it turns out that most folk are piss-poor at guesstimating areal density, especially from a semi-oblique viewpoint, and never end up putting out the recommended 25% even though they think they have.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Generally, the guidelines in the rulebook are pretty OK; mark out a quarter of your table, fill it edge-to-edge with bits of scenery of various types, then redistribute those bits in a pleasing pattern. You might then want to add D3+3 6" long sections of barricade to break up really obvious lines of fire, but that's not always necessary.

See, it turns out that most folk are piss-poor at guesstimating areal density, especially from a semi-oblique viewpoint, and never end up putting out the recommended 25% even though they think they have.

I also like to make sure there's 4-5 peices of terrain tall enough to block LOS to anything about the size of a Leman Russ, and said terrain peice should be largeish. It blocks firing lanes going right down the board. While it seems unfair to people playing mainly shooty armies, it's nice to have both sides actually move.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I played a guy once that stuck a little tower in the middle of the board and said that was all the terrain we needed. I stared at him a minute and said okay.

He was Necrons with lots of Monoliths.
    I was an Imperial Guard Armored Company.

He bunched his guys up.
    I stole the initative.

He phased out at the end of my first turn's shooting phase.

The moral of the story? (Well one of them) Sometimes, having no terrain is good for a Guard player.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I also like to make sure there's 4-5 peices of terrain tall enough to block LOS to anything about the size of a Leman Russ, and said terrain peice should be largeish. It blocks firing lanes going right down the board. While it seems unfair to people playing mainly shooty armies, it's nice to have both sides actually move.
    Also, switching it up with a random bit of "usable" scenery is good; don't just have ruins and forests and hills* out there - throw in a Planet Strike bunker w/guns and use the automated defences rules! Or something like that.

*Hills are another thing; some people like to count them as part of the 25% and some don't. I personally reckon they only count as part of the quarter if they are high enough to block LoS, are difficult terrain, or both.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, my friend just got two of the citadel ruins kits (manufactorum, and something else), so that's pretty neat. I don't really feel like blocking his LoS too much, as he's a Tau player and my Tyranids have been doing really obnoxiously well against him for the most part, but I don't mind getting cover saves. And he could probably use them, too, as my 'Nid shooting has been somewhat effective.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Slapnuts wrote: »

He has become a focus for all our hatred of 40k cheaters. Throw it at him!!

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Ahahaha. That grater as terrain just cracked me up.

Is it for cheesy armies?

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Also, switching it up with a random bit of "usable" scenery is good; don't just have ruins and forests and hills* out there - throw in a Planet Strike bunker w/guns and use the automated defences rules! Or something like that.

Sometimes it's fun to completely cover the table with terrain! War isn't fair. And even if it's low shrubs or fences, why not play with 75% terrain?

Mystery.Shadow on

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a table in Warhammer World that's an Ork scrap yard, which is probably 80% terrain.
    Great fun to play against assault pack jump armies :P

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Hydra turrets are from this kit,

http://www.megahobby.com/flakpanzergepard1-35tamiya.aspx

If you build it as is, its too big to get on a basilisk hull. So left the back part off, the part with the radar dish. Then I took a dremel to it and cut the side bits off from the base of the turret, then cut it in half and removed about .5in from around the level of the top hatch, then glued the front back on. Plasticard to close up the gaps. Then I just made a piece of plasticard to slid into the slots for the bassy gun deck and close up the hull and mounted the turret to that. So I can slide in and out the hydra hull piece or the bassy gun deck and use it as either tank.

Its a bit of work, but I made one and base coated it in a couple hours.

Also, it leaves you with the hull unused. Think I can make some terrain out of that, wrecked cargo track mabe.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    saluksic wrote: »
    I think everyone has that one model that sucks it up big time, despite being good in theory. For me it's my Hammerhead, which rolls a one to hit and wound about a third of the time. Its been named the fail boat, and is as consistent as it is horrible. It is almost never shot at, and while its burst cannons can do some damage, its rail gun is like a wet noodle. I think this is the reason why I was able to get in on ebay for super cheap, I think the model is cursed and the previous owner just wanted it out.

Just FYI, the odds of rolling either a 1 to hit or a 1 to wound are 11/36, which is just below 1/3rd.

Heffling on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Usually when I play friendly games, my opponent and I will just each take turns picking a terrain, placing it where we think it looks cool, and scattering it. We do this until we both agree the table looks good

Also, I'm glad you guys have a good time :) and yes, everyone should play me! Everyone come visit :)

Nax on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ogotai wrote: »
    The Hydra turrets are from this kit,

http://www.megahobby.com/flakpanzergepard1-35tamiya.aspx

If you build it as is, its too big to get on a basilisk hull. So left the back part off, the part with the radar dish. Then I took a dremel to it and cut the side bits off from the base of the turret, then cut it in half and removed about .5in from around the level of the top hatch, then glued the front back on. Plasticard to close up the gaps. Then I just made a piece of plasticard to slid into the slots for the bassy gun deck and close up the hull and mounted the turret to that. So I can slide in and out the hydra hull piece or the bassy gun deck and use it as either tank.

Its a bit of work, but I made one and base coated it in a couple hours.

Also, it leaves you with the hull unused. Think I can make some terrain out of that, wrecked cargo track mabe.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

While I love the FW style Hydra, I have the one Ein made me and I don't want to get any FW ones that might possibly detract from the awesomeness. I'd much rather get something totally different.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Things like that make me want to meet you and play 40k with you, Tim.

Nax on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Ahahaha. That grater as terrain just cracked me up.

That is my cheesegrater of doom Echo. My mother gave me it long ago when i was moving out at 18. I never used it, but when i started playing 40k i took one look and said "yes that will be drybrushed and terrain" I put some plasticard in the top to make it a sniper spot.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So just got back from Owlcon where they had a 21 man 40k tourney. First scenario was a king of the hill mission where if, at the end of every opponents turn you had control of the objective in the exact center of the table, you got 7 points. And you could control it with your av 14 land raider. There were also another set of points up for grabs for kills and surviving units at end. So, end of the round shows up, people are doing scoring, and the TO reveals that if you tabled your opponent, you got full points (60ish) and your opponent got 0. Regardless of what points were earned in the game. So 3 players that tabled plus one guy that forced a phase out got max points and became a 4 way tie and the 4 tabled guys were tied for last at 3 (sports). Pretty much downhill from there. ;P Next round was a lot of people ignoring objectives in favor of trying to table.

Didn't see round 3 but it was multiple objectives, all were av12, 10 points if blown up. Only grenades could hurt them. If your troops didn't have grenades, they got wuss ones that only worked on objectives. Seemed super imbalanced, but hey, just table. :)

Also didn't help that there was a bye and the TO gave it to someone who preregistered instead of making one of the alternates who showed up day of and replaced no shows sit out. The guy who was told he needed to sit on his ass for 3 hours left upset. (like 5 people with the TO and no one brought a ringer army)

Anyway, was first one I've really seen in forever and seemed... Iffy. Or is this fairly normal?

I was unimpressed.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That sounds like a very, very shitty tournament. Granted, I've only been in one, but have spectated quite a few. Did you fight some nice guys at least?

Spherick on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sorry about your bad experience, Skarsol :( If you're ever in the area of Tampa, FL then let us know, and we'll show you an awesome time with 40k :P

Honestly though... If you've got alternates that didn't signup and just showed up on the day of... One of them sits and you roll with an even 20. Done.

Also, "Surprise objectives" or "Surprise clarifications of scenario instructions" is just stupid. If someone outplays another person for 4 rounds to gain more objective per turn points, and then goes through a bad streak of luck while the opponent goes through a good luck streak and all of your shit explodes, breaks, or dies.... Thats entirely unfair. That's supposed to be one of the benefits to a "points per turn" sort of scenario

Nax on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Worst tourney I was in, was 800 points. The tables had very little los blocking terrain and were square, about 55" on each side. TO didn't care about it and only popped up between rounds to take care of the matchups and then left again to try to sell more card games to kids.

And someone brought 3 Hammerheads and a Devilfish with DP, and an HQ with a pieplate.

Ass.
    It was me.

It Burns on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    I just got an urge to make a silly DE footslogger list where everything has FNP and Furious Charge.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So many haemonculi.

Really, four Grotesques, a haemonculus and an Archon in a Raider seems like a pretty formidable webway opener unit.

I can't wait for the plastic Wracks and stuff to come out.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heffling wrote: »
    saluksic wrote: »

Just FYI, the odds of rolling either a 1 to hit or a 1 to wound are 11/36, which is just below 1/3rd.

Oh yeah, I get that. What I meant to imply was that this failboat rolls one twice as often as usual, whether to hit or wound.

On the same thread as all this tournament talk, does tabling an opponent not confer victory in a kill points game? I could see the argument against it, but it seems a little silly.

Whenever I play with people I know we usually substitute units' point values for kill points. Those three carnifexes? Not worth as much strategically as two gun drones off my Devilfish. tauplayerrant\

saluksic on
This discussion has been closed.