As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Latest O'Keefe sting backfires hilariously (again)

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
(Sorry I can't add this to the old thread, but search is kaput.)

I'm sure you remember James O'Keefe. He's the guy who dressed like a pimp at ACORN branches to try to discredit the group, the guy who attempted to wiretap Mary Landrieu to prove that her office wasn't answering calls, and the guy who tried to lure a CNN anchor to a simulated sex party to... well, none of us really know what he was doing on that one other than gain attention to himself.

Well, O'Keefe, or at least his gang of Candid Camera rejects, are at it again. Their target was Planned Parenthood, a frequent target for O'Keefe in the past. And, according to Wikipedia, he had some success.
O'Keefe helped plan and produce undercover videos with pro-life activist Lila Rose in 2006 and 2007 that showed several Planned Parenthood workers willing to circumvent state laws requiring that abortion clinics report statutory rape. The videos received national attention. O'Keefe met Rose, a UCLA student, while he was visiting the university as a Leadership Institute campus representative in 2006. With O'Keefe's support and advice Rose launched her first foray in activism at the UCLA campus health center. Soon he came up with the idea to have her pose as an underaged pregnant teenager, go to Planned Parenthood clinics for advice, and record the conversations that followed. Their expectation was that the clinics would try to get around reporting laws concerning statutory rape or engage in other illegal behavior. Seven videos resulted. In the first, a Santa Monica clinic advised Rose to "figure out a birthdate that works" and lie about her age to be eligible for an abortion.[38] Later videos led to an effort by Tennessee lawmakers to end a $721,000 contract with Planned Parenthood, and a vote by the Orange County California Board of Supervisors to suspend a grant of nearly $300,000 to the organization.[24]

O'Keefe phoned several Planned Parenthood clinics posing as a donor in 2007, specifying his gift should go to fund abortions of minorities because "the less black kids out there the better."[39] Clinics in seven states reportedly agreed to accept his donation under those terms.[40] After audio recordings of the conversations were made public in 2008, Planned Parenthood apologized for the behavior of the staff members, calling it "inappropriate".[39] In a call to an Albuquerque office, O'Keefe discussed affirmative action and said there were too many black people competing with white Americans for admission to schools; the clinic's representative replied, "Yes, yes, it's a strange time for sure."[41][42] A representative of Planned Parenthood of Ohio replied, "For whatever reason we'll accept the money."[43] Planned Parenthood of Idaho's vice president, Autumn Kersey, was suspended after the recordings divulged her laughing out of embarrassment and disgust, placating the caller by saying, "understandable, understandable" and "Excuse my hesitation, this is the first time I've had a donor call and make this kind of request, so I'm excited and want to make sure I don't leave anything out." After which she made attempts to have the call traced and recorded.[44][45]

O'Keefe's recordings led to demands by black leaders to withdraw public financing of Planned Parenthood,[46] and to a protest in Washington D.C. by African-Americans pastors who accused Planned Parenthood of perpetrating "genocide" on blacks.[40] Alveda King, a black minister and a niece of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., who had two abortions herself,[47] also supported the campaign.

Only this time his group has stirred up something entirely different.
The FBI has begun investigating a series of incidents in which a man told Planned Parenthood clinics around the country that he was running an underage sex trafficking ring, according to a spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood.

The FBI has been interviewing people at the clinics -- a total of eight spread out over five states and D.C. -- over the past two days, the spokeswoman tells TPM. She said Planned Parenthood has been giving law enforcement all the information they have.

The FBI did not return a request for comment.

Planned Parenthood requested an investigation earlier this month after the clinics reported getting nearly the same visit: A young man would come in, claim he needed treatment for a sexually transmitted disease, and then reveal to a staff member that he was operating an interstate sex trafficking ring that exploits minors and illegal immigrants.

The visits all happened within a span of five days. Planned Parenthood, which is a frequent target of anti-abortion groups, wrote a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder asking him to investigate the potential sex trafficking operation, but acknowledged that it might be a "hoax."

The organization says they believe they've identified the man who made the visits and, they say, believe he's connected to Live Action -- a group that uses James O'Keefe-esque hidden camera "stings" in an attempt to dismantle Planned Parenthood.

The group is led by Lila Rose, an associate of O'Keefe's, and has been targeting Planned Parenthood with hidden camera operations since 2006.

Rose did not return calls from TPM. O'Keefe declined to comment.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/01/planned_parenthood_fbi_investigation_underway_over.php?ref=fpb

You'd think these guys would get the hint that perhaps they should be a little less ludicrous and a little more law-abiding.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh good, he's still being a jackass.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure he'll never stop being a jackass, until he crosses that line where being a white conservative isn't enough to keep him out of prison.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He didn't dress like a pimp at ACORN branches, that's just how it was portrayed by his editing and the idiotic racists at our news networks.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is this enough yet for Federal Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Prison?

I mean, you can't go around to hardware stores and gun shops telling them you're planning on blowing up a building and asking for advice, even if it's all a hoax.

Edit: Can you?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe now we'll get more stories about how he got people to go along with him while they were actually stalling and calling the cops, without bothering to mention the second part!

Because it's totally responsible for someone to tell you they're involved in underage sexual abuse, and just throw them out instead of smiling and nodding while you email someone to call the feds!

kildy on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »

I mean, you can't go around to hardware stores and gun shops telling them you're planning on blowing up a building and asking for advice, even if it's all a hoax.

I think if you can prove you had no intention of doing it, and aren't shady looking, the cops will probably just yell at you and let you go. Same thing with death threats apparently. People make them all the time, get hunted down by the feds, and the feds go "enh, he was all talk" and don't actually punish them to prove that no, you can't just go around making death threats because you had a few beers and disagreed with someone.

kildy on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kildy wrote: »
    Octoparrot wrote: »

I think if you can prove you had no intention of doing it, and aren't shady looking, the cops will probably just yell at you and let you go. Same thing with death threats apparently. People make them all the time, get hunted down by the feds, and the feds go "enh, he was all talk" and don't actually punish them to prove that no, you can't just go around making death threats because you had a few beers and disagreed with someone.

Yes, but in this case they was doing it deliberately and for their own profit, whether political or monetary. If you make the police waste their time because your stupid, intoxicated or insane you should be held accountable for it but not anything serious (education of the relevant laws, treatment, mental rehabilitation).

If your doing such a thing on purpose you are wasting societies resources for your own gain.

In both cases you CAN be prosecuted for your actions. It's just that the first case its not worth the effort to do so.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I heard about this and thought that it stunk of O'Keefe. Turns out the simplest answer IS most often the correct one.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    His last stunt against the teacher's unions had sickening consequences, I'm not sure if there was a thread about that?

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find this hilarious for a totally different reason.

I mean, what is the message here? Unplanned parenthood is the only good parenthood?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The message I got was that planned parenthood doesn't train people how to react to insane racists or criminals in a way that is media friendly when recorded secretly and presented in a one sided way.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The message I got was that planned parenthood doesn't train people how to react to insane racists or criminals in a way that is media friendly when recorded secretly and presented in a one sided way.

Clearly the only logical solution is to completely defund the program.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    His last stunt against the teacher's unions had sickening consequences, I'm not sure if there was a thread about that?
    Link?

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My favorite O'Keefe moment is when one of his planned stunts was so boneheaded one of his own people blew the whistle because she didn't want to watch the trainwreck. That was the one where he was planning to lure a reporter onto a boat that was a "seduction palace" or something.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Misleading topic title imo.

I don't think O'Keefe had anything to do with this one. This looks like an entirely different douchenozzle this time.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Link?

http://www.newsy.com/videos/ambush-filmmaker-james-o-keefe-goes-after-teacher/

It's worth reading in full, absolutly outragous stuff.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Link?

http://www.newsy.com/videos/ambush-filmmaker-james-o-keefe-goes-after-teacher/

It's worth reading in full, absolutly outragous stuff.

Classy as hell. But man, if that's the best he got out of a drunk Spec Ed teacher, he's a worse reporter than we think he is.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like how the teacher ended up being someone who jumped in front of a van to save a dozen kids.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I like how the teacher ended up being someone who jumped in front of a van to save a dozen kids.

Like I said, sickening.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait. She got punished for repeating what someone else said? When she was criticising the use of it?

And if I am reading this right, some random dickhead who thinks he's important is trying to say this is acceptable and normal because anything might be recorded and disemminated online so you shouldn't ever say a bad word?

Because someone might be recording you it's your fault for saying a bad word that could possible be taken out of context?

Is this what happened here?

I'm just trying to fully explore the awfulness of this whole thing, like you might prod a bad tooth.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wait. She got punished for repeating what someone else said? When she was criticising the use of it?

And if I am reading this right, some random dickhead who thinks he's important is trying to say this is acceptable and normal because anything might be recorded and disemminated online so you shouldn't ever say a bad word?

Because someone might be recording you it's your fault for saying a bad word that could possible be taken out of context?

I'm just trying to fully explore the awfulness of this whole thing, like you might prod a bad tooth.

Allow me to just put the pliers around that tooth and yank: the answer to all of those questions is "yes."

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Allow me to just put the pliers around that tooth and yank: the answer to all of those questions is "yes."

Also add if one lower ranking individual in an organization is caught doing something, the entire organization is corrupt and unrepairable.

Void Slayer on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Unless that organization is Republican or dedicated to violent overthrow of the government, in which case it was an isolated incident.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure he'll never stop being a jackass, until he crosses that line where being a white conservative isn't enough to keep him out of prison.

:^:

Ah yes, the paradigm of white conservative privelige that people like O'Keefe will never understand. Is he a Tea Party activist as well? From the sounds of it he'd fit right in!

Docken on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And in a twist that will shock absolutely nobody on the forum, Planned Parenthood was right.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's so irritating that they went after planned parenthood. The thing is: even the things these boneheads "caught" planned parenthood doing (in the absolute loosest sense of the word) are things that I have no problem with. Helping an underage sex worker have an abortion? They should be doing that. That's part of their mission IMO as an organization trying to improve the quality of life of both the parents and the unborn children.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Docken wrote: »

:^:

Ah yes, the paradigm of white conservative privelige that people like O'Keefe will never understand. Is he a Tea Party activist as well? From the sounds of it he'd fit right in!
    He prefers attending white supremacist meetings, as far as I'm aware.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My favorite O'Keefe moment is when one of his planned stunts was so boneheaded one of his own people blew the whistle because she didn't want to watch the trainwreck. That was the one where he was planning to lure a reporter onto a boat that was a "seduction palace" or something.
    It amazes me that people (*cough*ChrisChristie*cough*) still take him and anything he makes seriously these days, especially after that bizarre case of attempted date rape. To paraphrase Edwin Edwards, it seems that the only way a prominent conservative can lose political influence these days is to get caught with a live boy [strike]or a dead girl[/strike].

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    TaxexemptionTaxexemption Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    O'Keefe should be in jail for some of these incidents IMO.

If I put baking soda in a bag and try to sell it as cocaine and the police arrest me, the charges arn't any less just because what I was selling was actually baking soda. If you represent yourself as someone who commits a certain type of crime and claim that you do commit that kind of crime, you should be charged for it.

There should be strictly enforced laws that if I am having a conversation and someone is recording me they need to tell me who they are, where the recording will end up, and that I am being recorded. This guy is mis-representing himself and profiting from it, letting him get away with this sets a bad precedent for society.

Taxexemption on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's so irritating that they went after planned parenthood. The thing is: even the things these boneheads "caught" planned parenthood doing (in the absolute loosest sense of the word) are things that I have no problem with. Helping an underage sex worker have an abortion? They should be doing that. That's part of their mission IMO as an organization trying to improve the quality of life of both the parents and the unborn children.

What also bothers me is that a lot of the reporting laws are there to further punish the girls who are in a really fucking hard position.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If I put baking soda in a bag and try to sell it as cocaine and the police arrest me, the charges arn't any less just because what I was selling was actually baking soda. If you represent yourself as someone who commits a certain type of crime and claim that you do commit that kind of crime, you should be charged for it.

Mens rea (intent) without actus reas (the action) is no crime, bub

Jintor on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am somewhat surprised he hasn't been civilly sued for slander/libel. Though I don't know how that would interact with using actual but edited footage. I think something like tortious interference could apply but with one side being the federal government that would be a little weird.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

Faking a crime is arguably a step beyond intent, though

i suspect its argued otherwise because that allows for sting operations

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

Where I live, selling baking soda and claiming it's cocaine is indeed a crime, but a completely different one with a slightly lesser punishment.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure this is the sort of thing where you need a law already on the books.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fraud and wasting police time should cover it.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am somewhat surprised he hasn't been civilly sued for slander/libel. Though I don't know how that would interact with using actual but edited footage. I think something like tortious interference could apply but with one side being the federal government that would be a little weird.

A fox news brand conservative is impervious to slander and libel laws

override367 on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There should be strictly enforced laws that if I am having a conversation and someone is recording me they need to tell me who they are, where the recording will end up, and that I am being recorded. This guy is mis-representing himself and profiting from it, letting him get away with this sets a bad precedent for society.

The problem is that undercover reporting does have a place in society. O'Keefe is an asshole, but he's not worth getting rid of potentially valuable reporting.

Neaden on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm just curious as to why no one is suing this guy and Breitbart for defamation. I know they have deep pockets, but given what they've done, surely there's a lawyer with their eyes on a good payout.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to why no one is suing this guy and Breitbart for defamation. I know they have deep pockets, but given what they've done, surely there's a lawyer with their eyes on a good payout.

They are, but unfortunately, the millstone there grins exceedingly slow.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »

Breitbart could threaten a failed lawsuit has to pay all lawyer fees, and they both enjoy bad publicity, so I don't see how even fishing for a fast settlement would work.

Octoparrot on