As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Contracting around the US

zktzkt Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I was contacted today by a recruiter for a contracting firm. The position would require me to move to their HQ for 6 weeks for training (transportation and corporate housing will be paid for, and I will be paid min wage). After the training I will then work with someone to be placed at a location anywhere in the US, kind of like temp work. I have never done temp work but the fact that I'd be unable to seek permanent for for a few years because I'd be signing a contract to be exclusive with this company is something I dont like the sound of: what if they are unable to find me work? I do like the idea of travelling but only airfare and the first few weeks of housing will be paid for, meaning I'd have to find and pay for my own apartment for the next few months for the contract. Has anyone ever done contract work like this? What are some questions I should ask to be well informed on what I'm getting into? The company seems legit and all, they offer full benefits, but the fact that its possible I could be unemployed for a period of time and not get paid is concerning.

zkt on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there any sort of guaranteed salary, or are they allowed to train you, then just tell you to fuck off for six months and never give you any work, and you're not allowed to work anywhere else?

What, exactly are the conditions of your employment?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    zktzkt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Is there any sort of guaranteed salary, or are they allowed to train you, then just tell you to fuck off for six months and never give you any work, and you're not allowed to work anywhere else?

What, exactly are the conditions of your employment?

Yes, I was told it would be $50k + chance for a bonus at the end of the year for this entry level MS exchange position. This does sound a bit too good to be true since it took me almost 2 years to find my current part time job, but I guess the trade off is that it is contract work. Apparently they are very rarely out of work to assign and I'd get 2 weeks of paid vacation time to take advantage of when this does occur.

zkt on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    entry level MS exchange position that will pay a contractor $50,000+ bonus + benefits? That doesn't sound completely legit, bro. In order to pay you 50,000, they'd need to charge the client about 80,000 for your services.

What company is it?

Deebaser on