As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Faded Sneakers Thread of Resurrection

Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Artist's Corner
Howdy Everyone ~

Some may remember me. Others not. In any case after a year away from you delightful folk I am back.

Im relying on a digital camera and a public library computer here so the quality of the pics are not great but I hope that wont stop feedback.

Here are a few things. Hugs to everyone!

Sketches for now. More completed stuff to come later. GAH! Bout to run outta time. RAWR!

DSCN1724.jpg

DSCN1723.jpg

DSCN1726.jpg

DSCN1727.jpg

DSCN1728.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1731.jpg

DSCN1733.jpg

DSCN1734.jpg

DSCN1736.jpg

DSCN1737.jpg

DSCN1738.jpg

DSCN1739.jpg

Instagram: fadedsneakers
Faded_Sneakers on

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey sneakers. Nice ta meetcha.

SO many picutres, can't pick a favorite, but I love what you did with the hair pattern 3rd from the bottom. Can't wait to see more of your completed stuff.

Looking @ deviant art nao.

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thank you Ninjai. Nice to meet you as well.

Here are a few more images. Yes, lately Ive been a little preoccupied with angels. ~_O

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Especially on making my poses less static and helping to differentiate the forfront figure from the background without eliminating the textures completely.

Thanks!

DSCN1740.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1742.jpg

A quick sketch of a friend wearing a weird mask jacket thing, which he used to draw his own version of himself adding a samuraii sword, so I had to go back to it and add TWO and a hawk because Im competitive and a dork.
    DSCN1743.jpg

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1748.jpg

DSCN1749.jpg

DSCN1750.jpg

DSCN1751.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

DSCN1754.jpg

DSCN1755.jpg

A self portrait on a self portrait.
    DSCN1756.jpg

DSCN1757.jpg

DSCN1760.jpg

DSCN1761.jpg

DSCN1764.jpg

Off to the drawing board. Lates!

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    This is almost too much to crit at once... Its good to see a bunch of drawings, Im glad you are busy. I Guess for me I have questions to know how to help.

How much of this stuff is referenced? Are you drawing from life?

Do you sketch these things out before you go over them with pen? Are you using ball point?

I would either really slow down on your hatching and try to hatch with forms, or try some different shading methods. Things seem really inconsistent to me. Sometimes you have a pretty okay sense of structure and the shading shows some light and volume, other times its all over the place. Some of the medias aren't mixing well either, pencil is so gray and shiny, it doesn't really play well with anything.

What artists do you admire? Are you working to a goal?

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey Iruka! Good questions:

Id say about 1/2 and 1/2 from references. Both photos and real life. I try not reference other peoples arwork intentionally unless trying to make a tribute to them or spoof them in some way.

The sketched / messy ones are almost all just straight ball point pen. The more completed / cleaner ones are sketched in pencil first.

Artists I like are along the lines of MC Escher and the other Illusionist artists, and comic book artists like Joe Mad, Travis Charist and Art Adams.

My goal is to self publish my own comics and stories probably on the web and perhaps teach art at a university or high school at some point. Maybe get into tattoos. Not sure about that though.

Some of the inconsistencies I think may boil down to two issues, sometimes I have an idea for a face, stance, or single point of interest, then draw it and decide to force it into something I hadent thought out like a landscape, body, etc and other times I simply loose focus or interest but still feel obligated to finish the sketch etc.

I need to draw more thumbnails and quick prep pics. I find that helps with both issues.

ttyl

Faded_Sneakers on