As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thoughts on the [Motorola Xoom]?

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yup, it is weird. You have to buy some matter of contract for the Xoom, and even if you do, you're not getting the 4G speeds that are all over the marketing.

Evander on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am very interested in an Android tablet, but I don't want another wireless bill I have to cover each month. If/when they offer the Xoom with wifi only, I'll be all over it.

Assuming I can get one for less than an iPad ;-) </pipedream>

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If the rumored price of $800 is real I don't see it selling very well. I think that the iPad is really at the top end of the tablet market and the only competitive price for anything other than an iPad is less than $500. For the price of a Xoom you can get a decent laptop.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/16/motorola-xoom-price-official-799-unsubsidized-on-verizon-600/

So $600 for a WiFi only version isn't bad but its also the same price of the iPad 32GB wifi and could possibly be out priced by the next iPad model but its a lot more attractive than the $800 3G option.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    $600 isn't bad at all, especially since I didn't want the 3G at all

Interest++

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, 600 is tempting.

Though I don't think I actually need a tablet in my life and just got gadget envy.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, 600 is tempting.

Though I don't think I actually need a tablet in my life and just got gadget envy.

I had similiar thoughts before I bought my iPad. Now I use that thing everyday. Now my Mom wants one too. Shit's addictive.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm still surprise they didn't try to come in at Apple's entry price of $500. It just seems so... weird... that Apple would be the implied value leader. I'm curious if the minimum iPad price gets bumped up when iPad 2 hits.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I'm still surprise they didn't try to come in at Apple's entry price of $500. It just seems so... weird... that Apple would be the implied value leader. I'm curious if the minimum iPad price gets bumped up when iPad 2 hits.

The thing is, Apple's entry level price of $500 is for a 16GB WiFi only tablet. These honeycomb tablets coming out a solid year+ after the initial iPads causes their manufacturers to have very little desire to put out a 16GB option.

Many of the new tablet manufacturers see 32GB as the minimum they should put into their "next generation" tablets, and maybe they are right. All I know is that if 16GB lets you hit that super low $499 price point and people looking for the cheapest option into the tablet game start gobbling it up, then it's a win-win, right?

The Xoom is 32GB only (from what I've seen) and seems to come as either the 3G + WiFi for $799 or the WiFi only for $599ish. **Also to note is that it's supposed to have a microSD slot, but that the functionality to use that slot to expand the storage capacity might not be there at first, but will come shortly later if missing.

I say 599-ish, because actually the Motorola guy didn't give a price for the wifi only version he only said something along the lines of he expects the price to be competitive with Apples 32GB WiFi only iPad, which goes for $599.

In essence Motorola is matching the iPads 32GB WiFi only option, but ditching a 16GB choice. Then the standard 3G + WiFi Xoom is at $800 (possible $820 is that 1 month 3g rumor is true) while Apples 32GB 3G + WiFi iPad goes for only $729.00 and their full blown 3G 64GB version goes for 829.00

So you could have the top tier iPad for $9 more bucks and have double the internal storage. You'd also be buying year old harware that many said was underpowered to begin with, but we're going to assume the iPad 2 is right around the corner and that Apple keeps its price points (with maybe dropping the 16GB, I think it would be wise to keep it personally) and the iPad 2 will obviously have beefier hardware then it's predecessor.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apple will keep their price points -- it's how they role.

We'll might see a 32GB $500 iPad2.

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Personally I'm waiting for the iPad 2 to at least be announced so I can compare features/specs with the Xoom and then I'll pick. I'm DYING for a tablet. I don't have a laptop (notebook or netbook), but I've used a laptop on the couch during commercials as well as an iPad and I just prefer the tablet form factor. My cell phone is provided by my job and it's the original motorola Droid, which I love, plus it's free. Then we've had a 32GB iPod touch since the 32gb came out, so about 3 years and I like it as well, even though it's dated being such an old generation. I'm pretty even between Android and iOS, but I still feel the apps are whats going to decide it for me. Apples tablet specific apps have had a year to mature while the first honeycomb tablet hasn't even been released plus you have fragmentation to deal with certain apps running better on certain hardware.

I love angry birds on my droid, but my sister has some cheap android phone and i couldn't even stand to play it with all the lag.

Price really isn't the issue for me so if the iPad 2 underwhlems me and the Xoom impresses me I may opt for it, but right now I'm still point toward the iPad 2.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/21/motorola-xoom-will-ship-without-flash-support-on-february-24th/

Curious as to know if earlier versions of Android run Flash why is the latest version of android having to wait?

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dunno, maybe you have to buy a month of Verizon service before they'll deem you worthy of using it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/21/motorola-xoom-will-ship-without-flash-support-on-february-24th/

Curious as to know if earlier versions of Android run Flash why is the latest version of android having to wait?

If was wondering the same thing.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    rockmonkey wrote: »

If was wondering the same thing.

Unless Adobe are still creating a version of flash especially designed around Honeycomb platform, It really is a worrying sign considering one of Xoom's rival tablets the original Galaxy Tablet runs flash fine on 'inferior' version of android.

Part of me believes this is bullshit, but might be worth waiting if anyone was thinking about buying this tablet computer.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IT has to do with Adobe's new version. It's coming out in days or weeks depending on who you ask.

Adobe probably told them to wait until this version comes out because this is the "be all end all" flash for mobile release.

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm to the point where I ask myself, "do I even care whether it does flash or not anymore?". The answer is mostly no. The only thing that bothers me (but mainly I just find it funny) is that the Xoom (as with all other non-apple tablets so far) has really thrown the "flash-enabled" thing if your face. Any description or spec/feature list for these non-apple tablets have pushed and pushed the fact that they can play back flash content.

Granted the Tab plays flash, mainly because foyo had flash added to it, but here we have the much anticipated Xoom, a lot of people's big hope to an ipad alternative and their no flash stance, and now it won't have flash right away.

I have been salivating for a tablet and while I'm still undecided (like mentioned a few posts above) I'm still leaning towards the ipad 2 when it comes out, but I WANTED to like the Xoom, and it's going to be a good device, but these little things keep chipping away at its armor, it's image, before it's even out. Like the high price, the mandetory 1 month subscription to enable wifi, and now the delay in flash.
    While they may not doom the device they sure don't help it any.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    zktzkt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm to the point where I ask myself, "do I even care whether it does flash or not anymore?". The answer is mostly no. The only thing that bothers me (but mainly I just find it funny) is that the Xoom (as with all other non-apple tablets so far) has really thrown the "flash-enabled" thing if your face. Any description or spec/feature list for these non-apple tablets have pushed and pushed the fact that they can play back flash content.

Granted the Tab plays flash, mainly because foyo had flash added to it, but here we have the much anticipated Xoom, a lot of people's big hope to an ipad alternative and their no flash stance, and now it won't have flash right away.

I have been salivating for a tablet and while I'm still undecided (like mentioned a few posts above) I'm still leaning towards the ipad 2 when it comes out, but I WANTED to like the Xoom, and it's going to be a good device, but these little things keep chipping away at its armor, it's image, before it's even out. Like the high price, the mandetory 1 month subscription to enable wifi, and now the delay in flash.

I feel the same way. Moto/Veri/Bestbuy screwed up the handling of the Xoom with required monthly plans and features promised to work at a later date. As much as I hate apple I think im going to wait and see how the ipad 2 shapes out...

zkt on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zkt wrote: »

I feel the same way. Moto/Veri/Bestbuy screwed up the handling of the Xoom with required monthly plans and features promised to work at a later date. As much as I hate apple I think im going to wait and see how the ipad 2 shapes out...

I'm not so sure its Best Buy's fault on this one--Best Buy actually doesn't get the "bounty" on the Xoom's activation unless people keep it for 2 months. So, if they buy it and then cancel the contract right away, Best Buy essentially makes 0 money on it. That doesn't seem like a deal they'd want to make if they had much choice.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    williamcllwilliamcll Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    i might by a A3.0 in the futrure, depending if ipad2/3/4 is better

williamcll on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So until March 15 you can visit the Motoral store and use coupon code OCNNSB25 to get $200 bucks off the XOOM.

$600 for the XOOM is pretty tempting.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So until March 15 you can visit the Motoral store and use coupon code OCNNSB25 to get $200 bucks off the XOOM.

On March 15th they drop it to $600 for everyone?

This is some pretty blatant bullshit, not that I was going to get a Xoom anyway, but they're making it clear that they can afford to price the unit at $600, and then just charging a $200 tax on anyone who doesn't know about the deal.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man, the on-button for the Xoom is such a terrible design. At work yesterday, I watched at least 5 people struggle with figuring out how to wake the damned thing up.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Evander wrote: »

This is some pretty blatant bullshit, not that I was going to get a Xoom anyway, but they're making it clear that they can afford to price the unit at $600, and then just charging a $200 tax on anyone who doesn't know about the deal.

Just tried it, no worky. :(

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

What? Where did you get that from?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I doubt the validity of the coupon code. The Motorola store upon check out starts using Amazon's system and I too could not get that code to work in the promotions box. I'm not even buying a Xoom I was just seeing if the discount worked because Iceman could not get the code to work for him.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    From Droid-Life
    Update: The coupon code has been fixed at Motorola’s site since it was allowing people to order discounted XOOMs when it should have just been discounting accessories. The good news is that Motorola reached out to us to confirm that they will honor all orders placed before the coupon code was pulled. A ton of you received one heck of a deal. Might want to tip your glass to Moto tonight.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The question mark? It came from my keyboard.

The Xoom is way overpriced. There's precedent for immediate pricedrops in the mobile market already. Either they are idiots when it comes to pricing, or they are just cashing in on the early adopters. $800 contract required is absurd when an ipad can be had around the same price with no contract.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The question mark? It came from my keyboard.

The Xoom is way overpriced. There's precedent for immediate pricedrops in the mobile market already. Either they are idiots when it comes to pricing, or they are just cashing in on the early adopters. $800 contract required is absurd when an ipad can be had around the same price with no contract.

They nixed the contract requirement for Best Buy, at least.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm not surprised that they got caught on that one. The price is still absurd, though. As a rule, Apple is over priced, so if you are pricing to match Apple, you are pricing too high. This is what happened in the mp3 market for years. Everyone tried to just match Apple, and the message to consumers was "Apple is the company to beat, so you should just get an Apple and have the best."

It is a poor strategy for competing with Apple that has been shown to fail in the past.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm not surprised that they got caught on that one. The price is still absurd, though. As a rule, Apple is over priced, so if you are pricing to match Apple, you are pricing too high. This is what happened in the mp3 market for years. Everyone tried to just match Apple, and the message to consumers was "Apple is the company to beat, so you should just get an Apple and have the best."

It is a poor strategy for competing with Apple that has been shown to fail in the past.

Im glad someone else thinks this. You can have a high end electronic device and still be priced far lower than Apple. Its all about public image.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011

Im glad someone else thinks this. You can have a high end electronic device and still be priced far lower than Apple. Its all about public image.

As other manufacturers have made clear, it's not as easy for them to do this in this situation. Apple's been slowly buying up (or investing in) the entirety of their supply chain over the years for these phone and tablet parts. They own the company who designed the CPU, they invested millions and millions in advance wholesale contracts with multiple vendors to build the displays and flash storage, and they've put billions into FOXCONN over the years to assemble the things.

Whereas Motorola is placing orders with suppliers for a few hundred thousand units at a time, Apple's making long-term multi-year contracts to build millions of iPads over multiple years. They're making huge investments to build factories. This is what drives costs down on the iPad, and what makes things like retina displays in the iPhone and iPod Touch possible at the prices they're asking. Apple might be known by consumers for having high profit margins on their devices (and they still do with the iPad, though they're slimmer than with some other products), but this is one time where they've got their competitors beaten hands down on pricing, and until market prices on these parts drop, it's going to be pretty difficult for them to catch up.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Monoxide wrote: »

As other manufacturers have made clear, it's not as easy for them to do this in this situation. Apple's been slowly buying up (or investing in) the entirety of their supply chain over the years for these phone and tablet parts. They own the company who designed the CPU, they invested millions and millions in advance wholesale contracts with multiple vendors to build the displays and flash storage, and they've put billions into FOXCONN over the years to assemble the things.

Whereas Motorola is placing orders with suppliers for a few hundred thousand units at a time, Apple's making long-term multi-year contracts to build millions of iPads over multiple years. They're making huge investments to build factories. This is what drives costs down on the iPad, and what makes things like retina displays in the iPhone and iPod Touch possible at the prices they're asking. Apple might be known by consumers for having high profit margins on their devices (and they still do with the iPad, though they're slimmer than with some other products), but this is one time where they've got their competitors beaten hands down on pricing, and until market prices on these parts drop, it's going to be pretty difficult for them to catch up.

While I do understand the manufacture of a tablet is going to be difficult to go up against Apple right now, IMO it really is hiding the fact that a lot of these companies like Motorola, Samsung etc sat around and let Apple take such a foothold of the market instead of an aggressive push to get a high end tablet onto the market. Worse still these companies ended up waiting for Google to make an OS for them instead of looking at the options ready for them, and the final nail in the coffin for me is that the Chinese knock offs with phone stock Android were able to come out faster than the original galaxy tablet also with phone stock Android.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Man, the on-button for the Xoom is such a terrible design. At work yesterday, I watched at least 5 people struggle with figuring out how to wake the damned thing up.

How do you go about waking it up anyway?

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Hit the power button. The power button is the wake button when tapped, and power button when held.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Hit the power button. The power button is the wake button when tapped, and power button when held.

sounds the same as the ipod/iphone/ipad and most android phones

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Except the button is on the back of the device. A black button on a black back, within a black bar that that also as another round black spot that is a camera.

So, people look around the front and feel around the edges, looking for a button which isn't there. And then when they do glance at the back, they see the camera and just sort of move on and continue looking.

It is a totally unintuitive place for the button, and I've had more than a few people ask me why the Xoom display unit isn't working.

Just a really weird design choice.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Except the button is on the back of the device. A black button on a black back, within a black bar that that also as another round black spot that is a camera.

So, people look around the front and feel around the edges, looking for a button which isn't there. And then when they do glance at the back, they see the camera and just sort of move on and continue looking.

It is a totally unintuitive place for the button, and I've had more than a few people ask me why the Xoom display unit isn't working.

I found it by accident while playing around with it in Best Buy... picked it up by that corner, display shuts off. "Guess I found the power button.."

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Of that, we are in agreement. The placement, color and look of the power button doesn't seem intuitive at all.

If it were easy to find by feel, then maybe it'd be ok. But it just looks like an afterthought with its current placement.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I got play around with one of these today at Best Buy.

Omigod I want one right now.

Just...not for $800.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg