As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: "Well sometimes you don't even listen to me!"

• Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've never heard of the team Empire. Who's on it?

Imma watch total biscuit I think
    http://www.teamliquid.net/calendar/2011/2/#event_3685

iowa on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Empire is one of Europe's strongest teams. Their biggest names are beastyqt and Kas.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They're some Russian team.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TB is going to cast a bratok vs dimaga replay I think:
    http://www.justin.tv/totalbiscuit#/w/837267264

iowa on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    iowa wrote: »

Biscuit? It's JP and Sheth.

Where can I hear Biscuit be awesome?

Edit: nm, looking at the wrong post.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Biscuit? It's JP and Sheth.

Where can I hear Biscuit be awesome?

above post bro

iowa on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    150+kB/s at 240p? Jesus.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    meh

nerf banelings v terran rite

iowa on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/4712303/

more fundamentals... this is like teaching you how to shoot and dribble in basketball... A lot of people actually don't do it well and it affects their game and they won't even think about it.

It looks like I'm a born to be SC2 Player btw.

Also McnDover... awesome Model. It just needs shading to make it look sick!

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TB is going to cast a bratok vs dimaga replay I think:
    http://www.justin.tv/totalbiscuit#/w/837267264

I really really like biscuit as a commentator. He might not be that knowledgeable, and obviously he isn't that great a player himself, but he makes things interesting and damn he is actually good at noticing things and pointing stuff out that so many other casters miss as they waffle on about what the two players may or may not be doing. He just points everything out he sees, and looks everywhere, and always seems to be where the interesting action is.

So yeah, I love TB.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    tlo fightin on tb's stream

iowa on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TLO's Stalker/Phoenix play is SO HOT.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh TLO, countering mass stalkers with phoenixes.

That magnificent bastard.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    how are there so many of these weird synthetic starcraft related hip hop songs.

did black people suddenly start loving starcraft or something.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    how are there so many of these weird synthetic starcraft related hip hop songs.

did black people suddenly start loving starcraft or something.

The recent bevy of nerdy rap songs are made by the whitest of pasty white people.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    like the beastie boys but nerdy?

iowa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    For instance, this guy and his body of work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KyleDangerHenick#p/a/u/2/6wHp4VJ47v0

kedinik on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    gg EMP

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't envy protoss players trying to micro HT's against ghosts.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    did tb say what game hes gunna cast next

this 'stan' cover lol

iowa on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey I'm having trouble finding a build order for terran that is text and not a video. I just want the basic when to depot, when to barracks, when to refinery, when to 2nd barracks, for marines or marines and marauders up to the tier 1 push. Anyone know where I can find it?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    constantly be building scvs
    depot on 9 food
    barracks on 11 or the next 150 min you have after the depot (minus cost of constantly building scvs)
    gas on 13
    orbital command on 15
    next two 150s will be spent on barracks'
    throw on add ons when you can, research what stim if you're pushing early

I usually build 2 marines out of my first barracks before putting on a tech lab on it if i'm going for 3 rax

iowa on
  • Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure its just
    10 depot
    12 rax
    13 refinery
    15 OC
    15 Marine
    ...not sure after that actually

edit: damnit, beated

Impyrocker on
    1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What the fuck is this... where is TLO.

TheBog on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    thank ye gentlemen

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    I don't envy protoss players trying to micro HT's against ghosts.

especially cause of HOW FREAKING SLOW THEY ARE GAHH I HATE PVT ENDGAME WHEN THEY USE GHOSTS!!!!
    ...thankfully, very few terran do.

Impyrocker on
    1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WhiteRa vs. TLO coming up.

BRACE FOR EPIC

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    constantly be building scvs
    depot on 9 food
    barracks on 11 or the next 150 min you have after the depot (minus cost of constantly building scvs)
    gas on 13
    orbital command on 15
    next two 150s will be spent on barracks'
    throw on add ons when you can, research what stim if you're pushing early

I usually build 2 marines out of my first barracks before putting on a tech lab on it if i'm going for 3 rax

God damn son. Aren't you a Terran? And you don't even know the basic Terran BO?

10 supply
    12 rax
    13 gas
    15 Orbital Command
    15 Marine
    16 supply

From there you can either throw down a factory for a more tech heavy build, or another barracks for bio-centric play.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just played a PvP on Scrap in which my heart rate accelerated as a function of my macro game. After I won, my pulse was pounding in my ears and I felt distinctly unwell.

TL DR on
  • Options
    EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How many corruptors should I be forced to get to bring down a toss ball that has 5 collosi in it? Don't tell me to engage him earlier or I'll toss your grandmother out of the nursing home window.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ezekiel wrote: »
    How many corruptors should I be forced to get to bring down a toss ball that has 5 collosi in it? Don't tell me to engage him earlier or I'll toss your grandmother out of the nursing home window.

At least 15. You'll have to overkill on corruptors to take down 5+ colos and then rely on banked larva to eat the rest of the toss ground army.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Honestly I'd say like 20 corruptors. But that's just me. You'll 1 shot the first colossus and maybe the second. Then 2 shot the rest. Gotta do it fast enough.

TheBog on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just played a PvP on Scrap in which my heart rate accelerated as a function of my macro game. After I won, my pulse was pounding in my ears and I felt distinctly unwell.

That used to happen to me a lot. As you play more games that last long you will get used to and not be nervous. There are also lots of little tricks to help reduce nervousness like turning off the countdown before matches and controlled breathing to name a couple.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Honestly I'd say like 20 corruptors. But that's just me. You'll 1 shot the first colossus and maybe the second. Then 2 shot the rest. Gotta do it fast enough.

20 was my first number but I edited it for no particular reason. But you're right, the correct answer is "a disproportional amount" or "more than you think" unfortunately.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wrote: »

BRACE FOR EPIC

where?

Guek on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The more I listen to him, the more I think that Biscuit is the best caster out there.

I think more than anyone else, he's really dynamic. He can just keep talking, sometimes it's nonsense but it's always entertaining, very knowledgeable, etc. Doesn't rely on some thing to define him (other than being the British guy). He's great.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

BRACE FOR EPIC

where?

It's over now.

Game was really lame.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    boo

Guek on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The ladder is making me incredibly angry. I'm a total newb and lost 18 games in a row until i switched from zerg to protoss. I'm assuming thats why i'm facing such easy opponents. It's making me mad though when i'm slowly going up my ladder i get 0 points for 2 games and then maybe 2 points from the next 1 and then another 2 games where i get no points. This goes on for about 10 games at which point i look and i have 14 points which laughably puts me in 29th in my league. The next match is a zerg, apparently zergs in bronze league know only one build, and thats the six pool. i unfortunately have never, ever, ever, never been able to defend the 6 pool and thus i lose.

So i'm like ok thats not that bad i just lost one match i fight very few zerg right now then i look, oh look i just lost 14 points and am now in 41st in my league (yes you can get to 41st if you beat someone).

is the basic premise just to wall in the entire ramp and place cannons behind it, especially if i have the knowledge that i'm gonna get 6 pooled straight from the begining?

This is going to be a lot of text, but I'm going to explain why this is happening to you.

Its a quote from a FAQ on Team Liquid that explains whats known as the "Bronze Zero" phenomenon.
    Q: I'm in Bronze with 0 rating and a poor win ratio. I'm only getting 2 or 4 or 6 points -- including bonus pool -- for a win, but losing 22 points for a loss! Why is this happening, and how will I possibly get above 0 rating as long as this is happening to me?
    A: This one was tough to figure out because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface. Point gains and losses that are that extreme can only mean that you're Favored in every single match, but how is that possible if you're already in Bronze with 0 rating? The answer is that your MMR can go below Bronze 0. Because your rating -- which is zero -- is higher than your MMR which is somewhere far below zero, you will constantly be Favored. Because of the way MMR gains work, however, as long as you maintain a positive win ratio, you will eventually find matches where you are Slightly Favored and ultimately Teams Even and beyond. At that point, you will start to gain more points than you lose.
    Speculation: This may be a remnant from Beta, either from when Copper league was removed or when players started at 0 rating when they used to start at 1000 rating. It could be that Bronze 0 is equal to Beta's 1000 rating (and therefore Bronze 0 = 1000 MMR).

More info: Allowing MMR to dip below the minimum point value is one way to help ensure that inflation beyond the bonus pool does not occur. The player who loses will have his MMR dip below Bronze Zero, which will cause him to be Favored in every matchup and therefore, because points drift toward MMR, he will remain at zero. This means that any points that are gained are quickly taken away by any losses, thus vacuuming up any points that would have been not really "earned" by the points floor until his MMR rises above the equivalence of Bronze Zero. This stops the production of extra points from the floor of 0.

More broadly, your points drift towards your MMR. Because of this mechanism any inflation that occurs will be counteracted by the game outcomes. That is, if point inflation in fact existed, then your points would eventually outpace your MMR and you would then start gaining less points on a win and losing more points on a loss, thereby negating any "inflation" that might occur. Note that this assumes that MMR does not inflate.

So essentially, you have two ratings on the Blizzard ladder. Your displayed rating, and your MMR or MatchMaking Rating. The amount of points you get for wins and losses is tailored to make your displayed rating slowly drift towards your matchmaking rating. This is why you gain a lot of points for a win and lose very few if you are in Bronze and facing (and beating) Diamond players, because your MMR is at Diamond level so the system is increasing your rating rapidly.

And as it says above, it is possible for your MMR to fall below zero, while it is not possible for your displayed rating to do so, so if your MMR goes below zero you will be constantly losing a ton of points as the system tries to bring your displayed rating in line with your MMR.

It is confirmed as a bug by Blizzard and they're working on a fix.

Dhalphir on