As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Mixed Martial Arts thread

hambonehambone Registered User regular
This thread is for the discourse and/or debate of my favorite sport: Mixed Martial Arts. Please discuss all recent (within a month or two) fight results with spoiler tags, some people watch pay-per-views later than they originally air.
wikipedia wrote:
Mixed martial arts (commonly referred to as MMA) is a combat sport in which two competitors attempt to defeat each other by potentially utilizing a wide variety of fighting techniques, including striking and grappling. Well-known MMA organizations include the Ultimate Fighting Championship and PRIDE Fighting Championships.

MMA has also been referred to as no holds barred (NHB) fighting, however this term is no longer considered an accurate description of the modern sport, with its formalized rules and banned techniques that have been developed for the fighters' safety.

There's three big fights in tonight's UFC pay-per-view:

Quinton Jackson, aka Rampage, is making his UFC debut after having a stellar run at PRIDE. Tonight he'll be fighting Marvin Eastman, trying to avenge a loss from the beginning of his career. Rampage has come a very long way since those days, and it was a close fight, so I gotta give it to him. Eastman is still in good shape though, so it won't be easy.

Prediction: Rampage in the third round by ground and pound stoppage. Like this:

5818.jpg?t=1170538672

Also making the switch from PRIDE to UFC is Croation member of parliament, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic. Cro Cop comes to the UFC as one of the most dominant fighters in the history of the sport. He'll be "fighting" heavyweight tomato-can Eddie Sanchez. And by "fighting" I mean, "kicking the living shit out of".

Prediction: Cro Cop by head kick, first round. Like this (notice how big his legs are):

7212722.jpg

The main event of the night was supposed to be a middleweight title fight between champion Anderson "Spider" Silvia and Ultimate Fighter reality show winner Travis Lutter. But Lutter couldn't make weight, so now the title isn't on the line.

Silvia has freakishly long arms and legs, and may be pound for pound the best striker in the sport. Lutter's a great, if orthodox, jiujitsu man. I predict Lutter trying to clinch for a takedown, only to eat too many knees.

Prediction: Spider by knees, first round.

Also, Scott Smith from the Ultimate Fighter reality show has a fight against some no-name. Smith's fight against Pete Sell had maybe the craziest ending I've ever seen in a fight.

In other MMA news, supposedly Randy Couture has come out of retirement to fight Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia soon. Sylvia is one of the least interesting fighters ever. His last several fights have involved nothing but Sylvia pacing around defensively trying not to lose. Couture should whip him good, though I wanted to watch Cro Cop beat him down. Either way Couture vs. Cro Cop would be amazing.

Youtube Links:
Rampage and Eastman's first fight
Anderson Silvia highlight video (gets watchable at 2:00)
Cro Cop highlight video
Scott Smith vs. Pete Sell ending

Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
hambone on

• Options
    Marblehead JohnsonMarblehead Johnson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I REALLY, REALLY wanna see the Cro Cop fight tonight, but for the first time in six months, everyone I know who likes UFC / MMA is out of town, and I'll be busy putting in new laminate floors, so... no fight for me. *sob* I'll have to catch the replays online tomorrow... stupid everything.

Also, yes, Lutter is going to get his ass handed to him... in a cup.

I wanna see a Rampage / Monson fight. Monson's a f***ing goon. Everytime I see him on screen, I remember Tim Roth from 'Reservoir Dogs':

"You remember the Fantasic Four?"
    "Yeah, with the Invisible Bitch, and Flame On, and shit..."
    "Yeah... The Thing. Motherfucker looks just like The Thing."

The Monson / Sylvia fight a few months back was pretty impressive. ANYONE who can go five full rounds against EITHER of those guys, and lose by a point, is really, really good. Same weight, TEN INCH height difference.

Marblehead Johnson on
    Magus` wrote: »
    It's human nature to derive meaning from that something that actually lacks it in order to suit your goals.

Dismayed By Humanity Since 1992.
  • Options
    SealHammerSealHammer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I want to see a Ramon Dekker video in here.
    Or I will kill you.

SealHammer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Monson / Sylvia fight a few months back was pretty impressive.

I 100% disagree. There's nothing impressive about going the distance when neither fighter is being agressive. I'll give credit to Monson for his early takedown attempts, but he really gave up after those didn't work. And Sylvia just paced around like normal, trying to once more squeak by on a descision.

He should have lost his belt for the way he handled that fight. It was embarrassing to see a champion fight like that.

That said, I'd like to see more of Monson, just for the fact that he does appear to have talent. Just as long as he fights someone who's agressive.

hambone on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    SealHammer wrote:
    I want to see a Ramon Dekker video in here.
    Or I will kill you.

Okie dokie.

While we're posting kickboxing videos, here's my personal hero:

Kaoklai Kaennorsing (video gets good at about 0:45)

hambone on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    I 100% disagree. There's nothing impressive about going the distance when neither fighter is being agressive. I'll give credit to Monson for his early takedown attempts, but he really gave up after those didn't work. And Sylvia just paced around like normal, trying to once more squeak by on a descision.
    I was about to yell at you, but yeah, you're right... Monson at least tried to go for the legs with a lot of impressive jumping-dive-tackle-things, but the fact is, they got tangled up, and the fifth round was just them pounding the snot out of eachother. Sylvia, yeah, really could have done more... It was just fun to watch two guys that big and scary try to fight eachother without getting hurt. COME ON! Look at yourselves! THROW A PUNCH!

How about Sylvia vs Silvia? I'd pay to see that...

Marblehead Johnson on
    It's human nature to derive meaning from that something that actually lacks it in order to suit your goals.

• Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    As always, I am rooting so hard for Rampage to lose.

We should also talk about training MMA in here. Anybody do anything interesting beyond the standard bjj/kickboxing combo? I've been thinking about taking Krav for a few months, but all of the places that you can train it around here fully scare me off. The whole class has to do pushups if someone is 1 minute late? No fucking thanks.

I'm sad to see Crocop make the switch. Pride won't be the same without him.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    The Monson / Sylvia fight a few months back was pretty impressive.

He should have lost his belt for the way he handled that fight. It was embarrassing to see a champion fight like that.

That said, I'd like to see more of Monson, just for the fact that he does appear to have talent. Just as long as he fights someone who's agressive.

Monson was simply the more aggresive fighter. Tim didnt want to lose, Monson kept on getting his takedowns stuffed. Basically after Tim was able to stay standing the ball was in his court to press the action. If you cant finish a guy who isnt a striker when you have a foot of height and reach on the guy, its time to get some new tools in the ring.

A lot of people hate Tim, I do not. I think that if Tim fought his fights like he fought against Ricco back in the day, everyone would like him. He squaked out a boring decision and now he needs to seriously KO someone.

The Monson/Sylvia and Herring/O'Brien fights are great arguments for authorizing knees to the head of a downed opponent. Had knees been legal, both those fights would have ended in the first or second rounds.
    defrag wrote:
    I'm sad to see Crocop make the switch. Pride won't be the same without him.

I think it's a good move for now. It gives Mirko time to face new opponents and face new challengers before he tries to take the PRIDE heavyweight belt from the only man on Earth who can stand against him.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    defrag wrote:
    We should also talk about training MMA in here.

Fine by me, as long as it doesn't derail into a general martial arts debate.

I did BJJ and Judo for about six months a few years back, so I can't really comment much on serious training with any real authority. Training just two or three hours a week is hard work, I can't imagine what it takes to be in the gym all day every day.

hambone on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    I did BJJ and Judo for about six months a few years back, so I can't really comment much on serious training with any real authority. Training just two or three hours a week is hard work, I can't imagine what it takes to be in the gym all day every day.
    A huge Xyience sponsorship deal, or some sort of bank scam. :)

Seriously, if money was not a worry (so this is completely fictional) I would definitely spend a large part of my time working out and training. Maybe not for UFC, but I fought competitively a few times in my 'younger days', usually just as a for-fun fight (I was more than double the size of the 'average' fighter there), and I have to say, I really enjoyed it, and I miss it. *tear* That's back when I was training six hours a week, since I didn't have a job. The people who break into the UFC are way more dedicated than me, since they probably also have day jobs, and families...

Marblehead Johnson on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    A huge Xyience sponsorship deal, or some sort of bank scam. :)

Seriously, if money was not a worry (so this is completely fictional) I would definitely spend a large part of my time working out and training. Maybe not for UFC, but I fought competitively a few times in my 'younger days', usually just as a for-fun fight (I was more than double the size of the 'average' fighter there), and I have to say, I really enjoyed it, and I miss it. *tear* That's back when I was training six hours a week, since I didn't have a job. The people who break into the UFC are way more dedicated than me, since they probably also have day jobs, and families...

It is amazing some of the jobs and education these guys give up to become fighters. Rich Franklin was an algebra teacher with a college degree, Jeff Monson had a degree of University of Illinois, Carmelo Mererro was/is a human resources director for a company in New York.

I wouldn't have the dedication to do any of that crap, including the day jobs.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    MothercruncherMothercruncher __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Could Bruce Lee really beat up some of these guys?

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

You can't post on these forums anymore!

lol nub!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lee was only like 140 pounds so he'd probably have some trouble with someof these guys

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MothercruncherMothercruncher __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    But wasn't he like super fast?

Force = Mass * Acceleration?

Bullets don't weigh shit. And I'm sure they wouldn't have any trouble with some of those guys.

Mothercruncher on
    Dear shithead

You can't post on these forums anymore!

lol nub!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bruce lee was only like 5 foot 8 or something. He was very small, but he was fucking strong and fast. He could punch you before you were done blinking.

SealHammer on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    While we're posting kickboxing videos, here's my personal hero:

Kaoklai Kaennorsing (video gets good at about 0:45)
    And gets holy shit awesome at about 5:00

Zoolander on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dude could do pushups with 2 fingers too

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

But how many cock pushups could he do, eh?

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited February 2007

But how many cock pushups could he do, eh?
    Not physically possible as the penis has no muscles.
    Epic anti-funny maneuver, right?

SealHammer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Wow, this thread went nowhere fast.

Does anyone here watch any King of the Cage? I'm always interested to watch it, since Mac Danzig fights there. He's got his first Pride fight coming up at The Second Coming though, vs Hayato Sakurai. That's one tough way to enter Pride.

Edit: For those of you who don't know Mac Danzig, read his blog:

http://macdanzig.blogspot.com/

He's an awesome dude.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would just like to say that, should he ask, I would willing be Crocop's love slave.

For those of you that didn't see the bout, he stalked Eddie Sanchez like he was the fucking Terminator.

God that was awesome.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    UFC results:
    Cro Cop vs. Sanchez
    [spoiler:56222a4f01]Cro Cop beat the crap out of Sanchez from the mount, ref stoppage in the first round. He followed him around the ring like a cat toying with a mouse, only less playful. That guy means business.[/spoiler:56222a4f01]

My prediction was close.

Jackson vs. Eastman (lol black on black crime)
    [spoiler:56222a4f01]Rampage beat Eastman in the second round, rocking him with uppercuts, until ending with a ref stoppage on the ground in the second round.[/spoiler:56222a4f01]

I called it! (barely)

Silva vs. Lutter (for some reason I kept calling him Silvia in the OP)
    [spoiler:56222a4f01]Lutter gets some decent take downs and puts Silva on the defensive, until he gets caught in Silva's ridiculously long legs. Silva wins from a bad triangle, throwing elbows at the top of Lutters head until he chokes. Officially, it's Silva by triangle choke in the second round, even though he didn't have a choke sunk in at all. I thought Lutter was going to get a straight armbar from the mount, but it was a brilliant ploy by Silva to stand back up.[/spoiler:56222a4f01]

Not quite what I predicted...

Smith vs. Cote
    I was wrong to say Smith was fighting a no-namer. I didn't realize he was fighting Cote.
    [spoiler:56222a4f01]zzzzz... Cote by decision, boring fight. The one chance Cote had to really rock Smith, he hesitated, probably because of Smith's previous comeback over Pete Sell.[/spoiler:56222a4f01]

Best fight of the night:
    The undercard bout between lightweights Frank Edwards and Tyson Griffin. Lightweights are so fun to watch. They're always agressive and take forever to knock out.
    [spoiler:56222a4f01]Griffin slapped a nasty kneebar on Edwards (who was ahead in points) at the very end of the fight. Edwards held on to win for a decision, limping. Great fight.[/spoiler:56222a4f01]

Huerta vs. Halverson, Rivera vs. Martin:
    [spoiler:56222a4f01]I blinked, what happened?[/spoiler:56222a4f01]

Overall, it was a satisfying night of fights, but not mind blowing like St. Pierre vs. Hughes. I'm looking forward to seeing Hughes, Couture, Franklin and Sylvia next month.

Also this month on PRIDE: Dan Henderson vs. Vanderlei Silva (my favorite fighter), Nick Diaz vs. Takanori Gomi, Shogun vs. Overeem, and your boy Danzig vs. Sakurai. Pretty swell card, I think.

Youtube link:
    St. Pierre vs. Hughes (USA, USA!)

hambone on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Huerta vs. Halverson will probably be ruled a No Contest.

[spoiler:ee04c0e94d]Huerta hit Halverson with an illegal knee as Halverson was getting up from a takedown attempt. Huerta then mounted his back and hit Halverson with a solid rain of punches until the ref stopped the fight.

Since the main damage was done by an illegal knee, Halverson will probably dispute the call with the NSAC.[/spoiler:ee04c0e94d]

Glaeal on
  • Options
    HrakaHraka Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Glaeal wrote:
    The Huerta vs. Halverson will probably be ruled a No Contest.

[spoiler:841e7931d8]Huerta hit Halverson with an illegal knee as Halverson was getting up from a takedown attempt. Huerta then mounted his back and hit Halverson with a solid rain of punches until the ref stopped the fight.

Since the main damage was done by an illegal knee, Halverson will probably dispute the call with the NSAC.[/spoiler:841e7931d8]

[spoiler:841e7931d8]The replay seemed to show the knee hitting the shoulder. But if thats true I don't know why halverson was just laying there seemingly knocked out[/spoiler:841e7931d8]

Hraka on
    I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I couldn't really tell either way, from the camera angles they showed.

hambone on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cro Cop looked like he was grocery shopping. I've never seen anyone so calm in such a situation.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't know what it is about those Eastern European and/or Soviet-bloc fighters. They're all cold as ice. Fedor, Vovchanchyn, Cro Cop, all of them just seem merciless.

Even old Oleg Taktarov from the early days of UFC was a cool customer. I remember one time during a fight he tried to throw a nasty kick that resulted in dislocating his knee. Without missing a beat he snapped it back into place and finished the fight. His expression didn't change once the whole time.

Speaking of old-school, my one-time favorite fighter, Carlos Newton, has lost yet again, this time to Matt Lindland. That brings his record down to an embarassing 13-12. Oh how the mighty have fallen. He had such potential, too.

hambone on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Carlos Newton hasn't had a good record since 2000, though. I never liked him much, but he's certainly never been consistent since then.

Eastern Europeans don't fuck around. Fedor looks like a lazy tiger whenever he's in the ring. Not necessarily chomping at the bit to tear you apart, but as soon as you misstep he's all over you. Not my favorite fighter to watch, but still really good. Crocop is by far and away the most entertaining of all those guys.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I heard an urban legend about a guy who did a fighting style of tai chi owning up in one of these competitions. Did that happen? I've always wondered.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    No.

hambone on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    Speaking of old-school, my one-time favorite fighter, Carlos Newton, has lost yet again, this time to Matt Lindland. That brings his record down to an embarassing 13-12. Oh how the mighty have fallen. He had such potential, too.

He hasn't been the same since he beat Matt Hughes.

And he did beat Matt Hughes in their first fight. I don't care what the ruling says.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My favorite fighter is Melvin 'The Young Assassin' Guillard. I just wikied him and he's actually younger then me. Man I feel old. I love watching him fight. He's always fucking jacked as all hell and I don't think there is anyway to put more muscle on his frame. He's been training in Tito's camp recently and I think that's really cool. I'm glad he's also developed a ground game and not just lethal strikes.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't know much about MMA, but I do love watching Crocop kick people in the head.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am just so amped to finally have the very real posiblity of seeing what the best (or almost best) from pride HW can do to that lethargic lump Sylvia. I like both leagues, but I fall asleep watching UFC heavyweight fights.

I was so excited to watch Cro Cop in his UFC debut, and it really was like going to the store for him. He walks in, owns the octogon, and just obliterates the other guy without even thinking about it.

And I agree, In both leagues, I love watching the lightweight guys go at it. So much fun

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I heard an urban legend about a guy who did a fighting style of tai chi owning up in one of these competitions. Did that happen? I've always wondered.

I have never heard of that and the odds are stacked against that happening. A Jiu-jitsu practitioner won 3 out of the first 4 UFC events, but that is a different story altogether.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    matt7718 wrote:

I have never heard of that and the odds are stacked against that happening. A Jiu-jitsu practitioner won 3 out of the first 4 UFC events, but that is a different story altogether.

Now you HAVE to have a mixed background in order to compete. Hughes proved this when he rolled Gracie.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is the UFC real fighting, or is it bullshit?

I don't really know enough about it to judge.

And is there a way to watch it without paying fourty-fucking-dollars for pay-per-view?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Is the UFC real fighting, or is it bullshit?

I don't really know enough about it to judge.

And is there a way to watch it without paying fourty-fucking-dollars for pay-per-view?
    "Yes", and "Go to the pub".

Marblehead Johnson on

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    One of the reasons I stopped watching UFC was the absolutely tedious nature of fights with anybody who practices Gracie JuJutsu. The fights head to the mat early and they stay there. I'd love to see what kind of styles develop in a multi-fighter match (rendering ground-fighting exceptionally dangerous).

What's the nature of the sport now? Can a strike-focused fighter beat a ground-based fighter?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    templewulf wrote:
    What's the nature of the sport now? Can a strike-focused fighter beat a ground-based fighter?

See St. Pierre, a tiny French man, kick the crap out of anyone who tries to get close enough to grapple.

Marblehead Johnson on

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    templewulf wrote:
    One of the reasons I stopped watching UFC was the absolutely tedious nature of fights with anybody who practices Gracie JuJutsu. The fights head to the mat early and they stay there. I'd love to see what kind of styles develop in a multi-fighter match (rendering ground-fighting exceptionally dangerous).

Yes, wrestling stopped being dominant a few years ago. None of the current UFC champions are wrestlers, and all newcomers to the sport are either strikers with take down defence or purely mixed fighters.

edit: sorry, the lightwieght guy is a wrestler.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.