As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSP] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together [OT] NA Feb 15/EU Feb 25

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does Ninjutsu ever get good? Level 11 ninja on a level 9 enemy and it's still 1 damage.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Momento MoriMomento Mori Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I never played this when it was on PS1, but FFTactics was always one of my favorite games. So much so in fact that the incomplete work of the team on FF12 was enough to make me love that often disliked game. Now that I am playing this all I can think of is how awesome it would have been if when Square acquired this company they didn't tie their hands in regard to telling adult stories. This game has it all rape, torture, ethnic cleansing, Major NPCs dieing pointlessly, and acceptable civilian casualties . Tactics Ogre is a shining jewel in an age of poverty when it comes to telling mature stories. Man what would have FFTactics been like without the Lucavi?

Momento Mori on
    tumblr_m367g22SJP1qb9sxqo4_250.gif
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ninjitsu + concentration = 100% status effect, which is nice.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love Alexander O Smith or whoever insisted on naming all the finishing moves after Vagrant Story break arts.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, buying new equipment is a pain in the ass. Has anyone devised a good method for comparing upgrades? It's further complicated because you can only wear 2 of the 4 types of armor at any one time.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Easiest thing to do is buy 1 of whatever new equipment you want to try out, then check it with everyone in the party menu. Once you've decided the ideal setup, go back and buy what you need. Only takes a couple of minutes.

Or you can just compare the stats right there in buy menu, but that won't give you an accurate representation of how the bonuses will add up for each character.

Finally got Dame Ravness, and now I understand her role in the game: she's the voice for the Galgastani moderates, who existed in the original, but had no real representation in the story.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, buying new equipment is a pain in the ass. Has anyone devised a good method for comparing upgrades? It's further complicated because you can only wear 2 of the 4 types of armor at any one time.

I just go through the store, buy one of anything I don't already have, and use auto-equip with the focus I want for each character. I never buy armor, as it seems to drop enough to keep things good.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So... do nin's stay unbelieveably amazing? Cause dual wield is just damn powerful for me atm.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hngrh... Even though I just got two games I'm sinking all of my time into, I really want this game.

...Probably gonna buy it this week.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So... do nin's stay unbelieveably amazing? Cause dual wield is just damn powerful for me atm.

Really? So far my experience has been them doing so little damage it's not even funny. And they die when something looks at them funny.

I suppose if I ever get them up to speed with the rest of my group that might change.

edit: Does anyone know if learning a spell by using it in combat bypasses spells you can't normally use in a given class? Like, could I teach my wizard the elemental buff spells that way?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My ninja right now will kill enemies with the first swing almost 100% of the time if they're ranged, caster, or healers. Everything else will die with the 2nd hit unless its a melee resistant enemy like golem, dragons, or bosses. I'm using +1 weapons and armor with her though, and she always gets the Touched spells cast on her. I'm somewhere in the middle of chapter 3 atm.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's pretty much the experience I'm having. I think this is the one and only time I will double up on a class. 2 nin's just seems like it will be beyond brutal.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vyse with 2 Daggers has been an absolute eye opener.

It turns out that Daggers get +1 Attack per point of Dex, instead of the +0.5 that other melee weapons get, and Vyse is able to equip some otherwise Archer specific equipment that gives huge piles of Dex as well.

Even on Daggers that otherwise have lower attack than other weapons, they tend to have higher attack after all is said and done just due to his default stats.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So should I be using all named characters? I always play these games with my original squad and just add in named guys when I have room, but these named folks seem much stronger than the regular squaddies you start with. Should I just kill them and transfer their skills to the named folks to replace their spot in the groups?

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Named characters start off with sweet abilities and a finisher which makes them worthwhile for any party, but if you've got a dedicated team then they'll be just as strong.

Finally made my way through the tough parts of Chapter 3, now going to spend time levelling everyone up to 14 in the forest. Trying to keep 18 characters around the same level is brutal on your exp, skill points and finisher acquisition. Denam still doesn't have one, though as a ninja he's not actually been rocking 1h katanas for long.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shen wrote: »
    Named characters start off with sweet abilities and a finisher which makes them worthwhile for any party, but if you've got a dedicated team then they'll be just as strong.

Finally made my way through the tough parts of Chapter 3, now going to spend time levelling everyone up to 14 in the forest. Trying to keep 18 characters around the same level is brutal on your exp, skill points and finisher acquisition. Denam still doesn't have one, though as a ninja he's not actually been rocking 1h katanas for long.

More importantly to me, named characters start out with their vital stats somewhere between 40-45, usually.

Speaking of named characters, I'm a little disappointed by White Knight

It gets more status healing spells, but loses out on Infuse Light which is maybe one of the best buffs in the game and trades out the awesome Phalanx for the near useless Paralyzing Blade.

I've actually kept Ravness as a Valkyrie because I feel like she has a better spell selection, and she has roughly equal stats and much better speed.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Infuse Light? What's so awesome about that spell? Am I missing something?

Regarding Battle Squads: I feel so dirty. Once I got Arycelle (Aloser) and changed Canopus to Archer they've been able to solo most battlefields. Hell, the only things that give me some trouble are monsters and golems. Also...I'm starting Chapter 13 and I'm already 14? Did I overlevel?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

The infuse status effect causes your attacks to do roughly an extra 20% damage

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

The infuse status effect causes your attacks to do roughly an extra 20% damage

What?! So my Terror Knight could be even more awesome! Damn game...I really should've bought the guide.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really, REALLY hate that I can smack my own characters with my missle attacks and spells and that the game won't tell me if that's going to happen.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Once I got Indirect attack spells I never looked back.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I really, REALLY hate that I can smack my own characters with my missle attacks and spells and that the game won't tell me if that's going to happen.

This is basically the only thing I utilize the Chariot system for

I figure the computer always knows 100% who a bullet spell or direct ranged attack is going to hit, so it's basically just evening the score. :P

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I figure the computer always knows 100% who a bullet spell or direct ranged attack is going to hit, so it's basically just evening the score. :P

How do I use the Chariot system? Do I just use the Chariot tarot card if I have one?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

How do I use the Chariot system? Do I just use the Chariot tarot card if I have one?

Press start during battle to open the menu, and it'll be the option that looks like a wheel with spokes.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What happened to the nice looking guide that was supposed to be released with this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0744012929

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Press start during battle to open the menu, and it'll be the option that looks like a wheel with spokes.

Alternatively, just hit the left shoulder button.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Even better, just hit "L" then "X" to restart that unit's turn.

EDIT: Beat'n

Neurotika on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should be getting my copy of this today. Are you able to rename characters after creating them? I was toying with the idea of renaming my standard characters based on events that happen during a battle.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    arcath wrote: »
    What happened to the nice looking guide that was supposed to be released with this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0744012929

It'll show, I hope. Most guides are getting cancelled last minute these days tho.

edit: I pre-ordered the thing off Amazon as soon as it was listed but they never shipped it so I'm guessing it's cancelled.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    dirkdirdendirkdirden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so does anyone have a list of available job classes. I read somewhere that there are 60 and I see maybe 20 or so and I'm almost done with the game.

dirkdirden on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    dirkdirden wrote: »
    so does anyone have a list of available job classes. I read somewhere that there are 60 and I see maybe 20 or so and I'm almost done with the game.

This is all I could find quickly and I think it's a Japanese list:
    <Human Classes>
    (Unless said, all classes are shared with male and female. Also some can be played by demi-human units as well like Hawkman, Lamia, Orc, Gremlin and Fairy)
    Warrior.
    Knight.
    Archer.
    Wizard (male) / Witch (female)
    Cleric.
    Rune Fencer (male) / Valkyrie (female)
    Berserker.
    Beast Tamer.
    Terror Knight.
    Dragoon.
    Ninja (male) / Kunoichi (female)
    Rogue.
    Sword Master.
    Warlock (male) / Siren (female)
    Gunner.
    Necromancer.
    Lich.
    Divine Knight.

<Special Classes - for specific person>
    Lord - Denim only.
    Princess - Kachua only.
    Bucaneer - Denim, Vice, Aloser and Canopus.
    Priest - Kachua only.
    Dark Priest - Kachua only.
    Ranger - Vice and Aloser.
    Shaman - Folina sisters, Deneb and Julia.
    Paladin - Lancelot only.
    White Knight - Gildas, Mildin and Lavinia.
    Astromancer - Worren only.
    Witch (not ordinary one) - Deneb only.
    Temple Commando - Ozma only.
    Vultan - Canopse and Hawkman.
    Diva. - Julia only.

<Demi-human special Classes>
    Hoplite - Lizard man, Lamia and Orc.
    Patriach / Matriach - Lizard man, Lamia and Orc.
    Familiar - Gremlin, Fairy and Pumpkin Man.

<Monster only classes>
    Clay / Stone / Iron / Baldur Golem.
    Cloud / Earth / Flat / Flame / Frost / Thunder / Arc / Dark Dragon.
    Hydra.
    Griffon.
    Cockatrice.
    Octopus.
    Cyclopse.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would muuuuuuuch rather have paralysis blade than phalanx. I haven't even learned phalanx. All of my TP and even slower turns than usual doesn't sound like a good deal for reducing the damage from attacks my knight is already not going to be targeted by or sustain significant damage from.

Meanwhile double spear stuns. I wish I had Ravness : (

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love playing this and having no idea who is friend or foe, who can be recruited or not. I just hit the first point where I failed more than twice at a battle - the solo fight in Chapter 2.
    I've got Pavel as a lv 13 ninja dual weilding spirit blades with strengthen, anatomy, and the usual other melee based skills for that level, but I can only hit Vyce for 11-13 per hit, while he hits me for around 45, and 22 on a counter.

Goddamn.

I'm not looking for advice just yet. I just didn't want to spoil what might be this game's Riovanes Castle.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    dirkdirdendirkdirden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dirkdirden wrote: »

This is all I could find quickly and I think it's a Japanese list:
    <Human Classes>
    (Unless said, all classes are shared with male and female. Also some can be played by demi-human units as well like Hawkman, Lamia, Orc, Gremlin and Fairy)
    Warrior.
    Knight.
    Archer.
    Wizard (male) / Witch (female)
    Cleric.
    Rune Fencer (male) / Valkyrie (female)
    Berserker.
    Beast Tamer.
    Terror Knight.
    Dragoon.
    Ninja (male) / Kunoichi (female)
    Rogue.
    Sword Master.
    Warlock (male) / Siren (female)
    Gunner.
    Necromancer.
    Lich.
    Divine Knight.

<Special Classes - for specific person>
    Lord - Denim only.
    Princess - Kachua only.
    Bucaneer - Denim, Vice, Aloser and Canopus.
    Priest - Kachua only.
    Dark Priest - Kachua only.
    Ranger - Vice and Aloser.
    Shaman - Folina sisters, Deneb and Julia.
    Paladin - Lancelot only.
    White Knight - Gildas, Mildin and Lavinia.
    Astromancer - Worren only.
    Witch (not ordinary one) - Deneb only.
    Temple Commando - Ozma only.
    Vultan - Canopse and Hawkman.
    Diva. - Julia only.

<Demi-human special Classes>
    Hoplite - Lizard man, Lamia and Orc.
    Patriach / Matriach - Lizard man, Lamia and Orc.
    Familiar - Gremlin, Fairy and Pumpkin Man.

<Monster only classes>
    Clay / Stone / Iron / Baldur Golem.
    Cloud / Earth / Flat / Flame / Frost / Thunder / Arc / Dark Dragon.
    Hydra.
    Griffon.
    Cockatrice.
    Octopus.
    Cyclopse.

Sweet looks like I'm only missing the last 4

dirkdirden on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I would muuuuuuuch rather have paralysis blade than phalanx. I haven't even learned phalanx. All of my TP and even slower turns than usual doesn't sound like a good deal for reducing the damage from attacks my knight is already not going to be targeted by or sustain significant damage from.

Meanwhile double spear stuns. I wish I had Ravness : (

Stun is incredibly unreliable, in my experience. Probably the least useful status effect.

Or more like it seems that whenever the enemy is stunned they never stumble, but if they stun you you'll stumble on half your actions.

I'd rather be able to make my Knight effectively invulnerable for a single turn, especially considering they can also be an effective roadblock with Rampart Aura. (Particularly once you get RA2, they can clog up some fantastically wide areas and prevent enemies from getting by)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Knights are really well-suited to being roadblocks, item lobbers and infusers. To that end, Phalanx is really handy to have in a pinch. Not something to be used every turn due to RT costs, but the Knight is such a painfully slow unit to begin with that it's not such a great setback.

I wouldn't use a Knight in an offensive capacity due to their crippled speed, unless item lobbing counts as such.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's more to the point that Phalanx is something, while Paralyze Blade is effectively nothing.

Though, I was a little more satisfied with White Knight once Velocity Shift showed up, so meh.

I probably still won't change Ravness to White Knight for it, because Infuse Light/Boon of Swiftness/Much better speed are way too good to pass up, but at least Gildus and Mirdyn are reasonably useful in a support role.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone have any tips for chapter 2 vyse al- fight?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Somehow I didn't realize this was out yet.

I'm assuming if I loved FFT and thought FFT:A dumbed it down, I'll like this?

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Somehow I didn't realize this was out yet.

I'm assuming if I loved FFT and thought FFT:A dumbed it down, I'll like this?

The gameplay portion is basically not much like FFT at all honestly, aside from being a grid based tactical RPG with class changing

The story is similar, but with far less over the top magical goofiness like the Lucavi and no detour into "plucky kid saves the world" territory

Maddoc on