As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catching Up - PC Games for the po' boy

balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
After my ancient laptop finally gave out on its last legs today (best game I was able to run was Deus Ex), my dad bestowed upon me his older laptop, which is considerably better than my last one. Here are the specs:

Intel Core TM2 Duo t7300 @ 2.00Ghz (according to systemrequirementslab.com, this means CPU speed is around 3.3Ghz)
2.0Gb RAM
Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (About 359 MB Video RAM, again, according to sysreqlab)
Running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 32-bit

So I have like a decade+ to catch up on. Throw some recommendations at me. I particularly like RPGs, FPSs, and especially love any combination of the two. Willing to try anything that's good and will run, though. Thank you.

balerbower on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everything with 4 or more stars on GoG.com.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anything cheap on steam...which is pretty much everything at some point. ;)

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I've played the shit out of Baldur's Gate I and II, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, and all those pre-2000 classics. I'm just hoping I can run something a little bit more fresh now because, as much as I love those games, I do want to play something prettier, despite how shallow that sounds.

balerbower on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You probably could run magicka.

Try the demo on steam.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rollercoaster Tycoon.

It's not and RPG or an FPS and you've probably played it but just play it again.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    balerbower wrote: »

I've played the shit out of Baldur's Gate I and II, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, and all those pre-2000 classics. I'm just hoping I can run something a little bit more fresh now because, as much as I love those games, I do want to play something prettier, despite how shallow that sounds.

Then all the games with 4 or more stars on GoG.com that came out after 2000. Your laptop isn't exactly a powerhouse.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Your biggest problem is going to be that integrated graphics solution. There isn't much out these days that doesn't require at least something on the level of an nvidia 7600. That being said:

Quake Live
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    League of Legends
    Warcraft 3
    Team Fortress 2 will run, but badly.
    Minecraft
    Guild Wars

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    G0DG0D Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rollercoaster Tycoon.

It's not and RPG or an FPS and you've probably played it but just play it again.

Oh god, I must find a way to run that on my netbook.

G0D on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My old computer was very similar to yours, so I know your situation. Here are some suggestions w. their genre:

Plants vs Zombies - puzzle
    Dawn of War 1 + x-pacs - RTS
    World of Goo - puzzle
    Braid - puzzle
    Football Manager (if you like football/soccer) - sim
    Galactic Civilizations 2 - grand strategy
    Space Rangers 2 - RPG
    Puzzle Quest (haven't played the second one) - puzzle
    Rome: Total War - grand strategy/RTS

Here are my recommendations from gog.com (aside from obvious classics):

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - turn-based strategy/RPG
    Commandos 2 - RPG/puzzle
    Stronghold Crusader - RTS
    Age of Wonders 2 - turn-based strategy/RPG
    Jagged Alliance 2 - turn-based tactics

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some humble suggestions:

Homeworld: A very different and interesting 3d strategy game with a moving story.
    Diablo 2: No description needed
    Dungeon Keeper 2: Play as an evil dungeon master, rule your minions and kill the heroes. May have compatibility issues.
    Beyond Good and Evil: Delightful action game.
    Medieval 2: Total war: My suggestion in the TW series, especially with the addons and mods.

These suggestions go out to all of you by the way, play them no matter what computer you have.

Vic on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    G0D wrote: »
    Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Oh god, I must find a way to run that on my netbook.

I just tried the other day, but it said I had to remove the previously installed RCT before I could continue. I haven't been able to continue yet :(.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Neverwinter Nights is only $10 on GoG.com, and paired up with adventures like The Aielund Saga and Darkness over Daggerford it will keep you busy for quite a while. I still play it myself. I'll put it this way: my son, who wasn't born when I first bought NwN, plays it with me now.

Freelancer is not an FPS and it's not an RPG, but it's an old game that I usually play through at least once or twice per year because it's so fun. Official multiplayer support was discontinued (matchmaking service) but if I remember right the community stepped in and set something up themselves.

Anything from the Jedi Knight series is fun if you're into FPS and Star Wars. Once again, a game my son and I play together (Jedi Academy, the last of the series). Letting him hit me with a pixel lightsaber is much less painful than his plastic toy one. He swings that thing hard.

Battle for Wesnoth is a game I recommend in nearly every game recommending thread I post in. It's a turn-based strategy game with some RPG-ish elements thrown in, it's seriously addicting, and best of all it's free.

Oh, and hey - how about Morrowind, or the Thief series of games?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    Jagged Alliance 2 - turn-based tactics

If you have even a passing interest in tactical turn-based action, get this game.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Puppy Games makes awesome retro-indie arcade style games that should run on anything. They look and sound great and are fantastic twists on arcade classics. Except for Revenge of the Titans, it's a pretty modern design, a frantically fun Tower Defense/RTS mash-up. I have and adore all of their stuff. If you ever enjoyed games like Space Invaders, Paradroid, Berserk, Robotron, Galaga, Astrosmash and the like get the Ultrabundle. If you like Plants vs Zombies but want something a little more action packed and awesome then check out Revenge of the Titans.

Drake on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sacrifice - the original Brutal Legend

Also, one faction is run by Earthworm Jim, basically.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Sacrifice - the original Brutal Legend

Also, one faction is run by Earthworm Jim, basically.

I think Sacrifice had a great story, mostly because the God's dialouge was so awesome. So hard to stick with one God when the others had a great unit if you just worked for them for just a mission or two...

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png