As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Email Harvesters

JeiceJeice regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, a friend of mine is working for the Toronto School District Board and he was asked to get all the emails from this site and put it into a document.

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/schools/tdsb_school_search/SearchBySchool.asp?show=AllElementary

only problem is, to get an email, he has to individually click on the link, and then copy and paste the email address. Which, is very very tedious. Is there a better way to do this? Legally?

I was searching through the internet and found out that this is exactly what email harvesting programs do. Now, I know they are mainly used for spamming purposes, but this time, it's for a legit reason. There's this excerpt from wikipedia concering the legality of it.
In The United States of America, the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 [3] made it illegal to initiate e-mail to a recipient where the electronic mail address of the recipient was obtained:

* Using an automated means that generates possible electronic mail addresses by combining names, letters, or numbers into numerous permutations.

* Using an automated means to extract electronic mail addresses from an Internet website or proprietary online service operated by another person, and such website or online service included, at the time the address was obtained, a notice stating that the operator of such website or online service will not give, sell, or otherwise transfer addresses maintained by such website or online service to any other party for the purposes of initiating, or enabling others to initiate, electronic mail messages.

But, I don't really understand what that second bullet point is saying. Is it saying that it's legal if I'm doing it for non-spamming purposes?

As for the program itself, I found this website that seems to provide what I want to do. Is it legit?

Should he use that program? Or should he just man up and tediously go through each of those links?

Jeice on

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Your friend works for the TDSB.

The TDSB owns a website with email address on it.

The TDSB asked your friend to collect these email addresses from their website.

No this is not illegal. I can't speak to the pros and cons of that particular piece of software; but automating this process cannot possibly be illegal.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Your friend works for the TDSB.

The TDSB owns a website with email address on it.

The TDSB asked your friend to collect these email addresses from their website.

No this is not illegal. I can't speak to the pros and cons of that particular piece of software; but automating this process cannot possibly be illegal.

well that's not necessarily true

that law the OP quoted shows that sometimes it IS illegal

and a lot of phone dialers are illegal I think? and they just automate calling hundreds of phone numbers

Raneados on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's pulling tdsb email addresses*, off of a tdsb website, for tdsb business.

Using a script to gather your organization's email addresses from your own website is not illegal; not in any sane country.

The law makes it illegal to send unsolicited emails to people under X circumstances. The collection methods detailed there are not defined as crimes by themselves. He's not spamming anyone, or making a list to spam anyone. He's just making a list.

* Honestly though, what? I checked 10 of those at random, all @tdsb.on.ca; your friend's employer. Surely there's an easier way to collect these addresses?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If they're all from the same employer, don't they have a database of emails? Or perhaps the hosting service has a list?

Aurin on
  • Options
    brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jeice wrote: »
    * Using an automated means to extract electronic mail addresses from an Internet website or proprietary online service operated by another person, and such website or online service included, at the time the address was obtained, a notice stating that the operator of such website or online service will not give, sell, or otherwise transfer addresses maintained by such website or online service to any other party for the purposes of initiating, or enabling others to initiate, electronic mail messages.

But, I don't really understand what that second bullet point is saying. Is it saying that it's legal if I'm doing it for non-spamming purposes?
    No. It says it's not illegal, but for another reason. There are three important points: it says it's illegal to harvest e-mail 1) using an automated means 2) from an online source operated by another person 3) provided that source has a notification that says this information will not be transferred to other parties so they can use it to mail people.

2) doesn't apply here, so it's not illegal.

brain operator on
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited February 2011
    Aurin wrote: »
    If they're all from the same employer, don't they have a database of emails? Or perhaps the hosting service has a list?

I assume they will after he's done, lol.

Jeice on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jeice wrote: »
    So, a friend of mine is working for the Toronto School District Board and he was asked to get all the emails from this site and put it into a document.

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/schools/tdsb_school_search/SearchBySchool.asp?show=AllElementary

only problem is, to get an email, he has to individually click on the link, and then copy and paste the email address. Which, is very very tedious. Is there a better way to do this? Legally?

If he's working for the tsdb, why don't they already have these? The page is using ASP, and each link is most likely being generated by querying a database that contains all the information for each school. So they should be able to just query that database to get just the emails.

Either we're not getting the full story, or someone at tsdb is clueless. Just have your friend ask to be put in touch with IT or whoever maintains the website, and he should be able to have a full list of emails put together in a single query.

Daenris on