As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] PvP: Fuck you. POKEMON.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    All I know is I have 3 wins left for the achievement (and meta) for TB, and once those are done the only reason I'd set foot in there is for premade shenanigans. I'm tired of watching Horde fail at ring around the rosie and tunneling that warrior/dk who just won't die (hint: it's the guy in the white dress standing behind him with the yellow glowing hands).

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Warhammer Online is basically making their version of Battlegrounds a separate, F2P game.

I think this is the right move. The WoW model of PvP is fucking stupid and cannot be fixed. You're basically paying 15 bucks a month to sacrifice the fun part of the game for X weeks until you've hit the baseline for gear. Imagine if you bought a first-person shooter and had to play for weeks in order to get better guns. And not "alternative guns" like in TF2, but guns that suck less and armor that gave you more HP. And for all that, you have to pay a monthly fee. That game would sell negative copies.

And yet here we are.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I agree with "cannot be fixed." I'd argue that it can be fixed or at least greatly improved from the shambles state it's in right now. But then I would also go on to say that Blizzard won't bother since they spend zero man-hours per year working on PvP (about 1000 chimp-hours, though).

• Options
    It cannot be fixed in a way that will get people to stayed subbed to it. Blizzard wants people on the gear treadmill. They want you to spend that extra X weeks farming gear. That way, when you GET the gear, you feel obligated to sub for another month just to enjoy yourself. If we did shit the proper way, and had Thrall mail you a set of PvP gear upon hitting leveling cap, players would get bored faster. Blizzard might have to actually put some effort into their PvP game, and we can't have that!

It ain't gonna happen. PvE is much safer for them to work on. Any subs they pick up from PvP is gravy.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That's the difference between "cannot" and "won't."

• Options
    Well, yeah, I guess you're right there.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Let us hug!

Man, it's been a while since Petty Rabble has been updated!

• Options
    Yeah, that happens when you quit playing the game.

I try to blog but end up unsubbing early. That's like three failed blogs right there.

Maybe TOR will be different.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    imad

No, seriously. Been PvP leveling a hunter and the moment I hit 70 it's like someone set the Alliance mongo dial to 11. So annoyingly bad. They don't even fucking try! At all! Unfortunately I can't literally carry an entire team. At least as a non-healer. Fuck

Win, lose, who cares? But at least try. It's about competition, folks.

So tempted to reroll(again) as a healer so I can enjoy the very few games I'm put in with allies that can breathe without being told.

• Options
    Monsty wrote:
    So tempted to reroll(again) as a healer so I can enjoy the very few games I'm put in with allies that can breathe without being told.
    But this will make every other game a lot more frustrating. At least as a DPS spec you can just pew pew stragglers for HKs if you've got a neanderthal team until the other team wins.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Monsty wrote:
    imad

No, seriously. Been PvP leveling a hunter and the moment I hit 70 it's like someone set the Alliance mongo dial to 11. So annoyingly bad. They don't even fucking try! At all! Unfortunately I can't literally carry an entire team. At least as a non-healer. Fuck

Win, lose, who cares? But at least try. It's about competition, folks.

Preach it, brother. The lack of effort I see from 50% of the Alliance PVPers-- and it's only an Alliance problem, I've never seen it as Horde-- is very discouraging. Such a feeling of helpless entitlement, how do they even manage to pull up their pants in the morning ? When I see these kids start to complain in Raid chat, I have two words for them-- Marine. Corps. Nothing like a DI's face two inches from your own pouring forth encouragement to teach you about things like effort and self-respect.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote:
    On my server (Bronzebeard), Tol Barad alternates control. The faction holding it doesn't usually make much more than a token attempt to defend it, which is handy if you have toons in both factions, which I do. Wintergrasp was like this, too, for about the first 9 months, but then Alliance with its greater advantage of numbers started to dominate with the Horde only capturing it on Tuesday nites. I expect TB to follow this same course over time.

Interestingly, as WRATH aged and players no longer needed Wintergrasp, the Horde began holding it all the time because they are generally superior at PVP and can only be overwhelmed by Alliance numbers. In an even fight, Horde will win 90% of the time.

High-Five Bronzebeard.

Grr at your alliance toon...

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    There is a blue thread about the state of PvP, now: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973257189?page=1 Tons of bad opinions by posters, tons of people just linking their crazy ideas for new BGs and whatever but also some valid criticism. Zarhym doesn't seem to say much, but I guess we'll have to take what we can get.

/edit: Ok guys, don't bother. I skipped through the thread until page 27 or so, when Zharym said, he's out for the night and the only piece of information was that Shaman thing I posted in the Shaman thread. I guess you can still get your own opinion in there, if you like.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Grobian wrote:
    Ok guys, don't bother.
    Yeah, Blizzard isn't either.

• Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I love doing tons of BGs. I have so much to bitch about! At least this time around, the stupidity usually makes me laugh.

Today's topic is deathgrip. I can't find a DK that knows how to use it properly! It's amusing and occasionally frustrating.

"Hey look! A hunter... let me dismount here and deathgrip him to me. What a great plan!" Instant free kill for me. Thank you, sir, may I have another? The answer is always "yes". They'd at least have a chance if they waited to grip my disengage. I would call this a blessing if it wasn't putting me into bad habits.

I recently was in a BG where one of our melee just started battling some dude. Two of our DKs roll up--one deathgrip from the first melee, another deathgrip from that DK. Heh. I knew it was gonna happen and I still had to laugh. If the original melee guy was dying I would understand the first grip. But no.

The latest was when I was steady-shotting a fella(level 72, no fox yet ARGH) and one of my DKs dismounts on top of me and grips the guy, killing my cast. Minor inconvenience, I know. Still seems dumb and/or dickish.

I like to share. Or do I mean vent?

EDIT:
    Despite my whining, PvP is the only thing I enjoy in WoW anymore. I must be broken.

Monsty on
  • Options
    PvP can be fun, it just requires a grind broken by BG queues and ridiculous honor gain rates. It's telling that not PvPing is the fastest route to PvP gear.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Warhammer Online is basically making their version of Battlegrounds a separate, F2P game.

I think this is the right move. The WoW model of PvP is fucking stupid and cannot be fixed. You're basically paying 15 bucks a month to sacrifice the fun part of the game for X weeks until you've hit the baseline for gear. Imagine if you bought a first-person shooter and had to play for weeks in order to get better guns. And not "alternative guns" like in TF2, but guns that suck less and armor that gave you more HP. And for all that, you have to pay a monthly fee. That game would sell negative copies.

And yet here we are.

So you mean like, most every modern shooter?

Well not weeks, but point stands

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to gear up my warlock to do rbgs with, but I just can't handle grinding puggie BGs. For a while I was buying pvp bits with justice honor, but now that I don't really run five mans anymore that has dried up.

/sigh

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I really need to finish my Battlemaster meta achievement. I think I just need 50 AV more wins.

Help me...

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    fuck, if you finished warsong 50 more AVs should be a picnic

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    As if it were so easy to believe. My battlegroup is pretty horribad at AV. The guys I normally do prelates with abhor AV. So I am forced to pug it.

:(

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    As if it were so easy to believe. My battlegroup is pretty horribad at AV. The guys I normally do prelates with abhor AV. So I am forced to pug it.

:(

AV weekend is coming up as well so good luck with that. I'm guessing you're horde if you're saying your battlegroup is awful at AV. Your "best" bet to win the place is really to get a few of those mates who usually hate the place, follow the zerg and cap Stonehearth or kill Ballinda, then go back and start recapping some towers.

You do the bunker or Ballinda thing, mainly to give the alliance zerg a chance to move on, so by the time you and your group go back to a tower to recap it, hopefully there aren't many defenders and you can just walk over them. If you keep 2 towers up, it typically means the other side can't kill the last boss, and if your side loses anyway, well you've hopefully had a bit of fun killing people.

Top tip, turn off BG chat in AV.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Couldn't hurt. I actually kinda like to play AV. I just hate to solo too. Still, once I get those wins (and Tigoles autograph I just realized) I can avoid the place.

At least AV isn't as bad as all those horrible Stand achievements. Nightmares.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Finally hit 100 wins in TB. I'm now officially done with that terrible pvp location.

• Options
    Monsty wrote:
    I love doing tons of BGs. I have so much to bitch about! At least this time around, the stupidity usually makes me laugh.

Today's topic is deathgrip. I can't find a DK that knows how to use it properly! It's amusing and occasionally frustrating.

"Hey look! A hunter... let me dismount here and deathgrip him to me. What a great plan!" Instant free kill for me. Thank you, sir, may I have another? The answer is always "yes". They'd at least have a chance if they waited to grip my disengage. I would call this a blessing if it wasn't putting me into bad habits.

I recently was in a BG where one of our melee just started battling some dude. Two of our DKs roll up--one deathgrip from the first melee, another deathgrip from that DK. Heh. I knew it was gonna happen and I still had to laugh. If the original melee guy was dying I would understand the first grip. But no.

The latest was when I was steady-shotting a fella(level 72, no fox yet ARGH) and one of my DKs dismounts on top of me and grips the guy, killing my cast. Minor inconvenience, I know. Still seems dumb and/or dickish.

I like to share. Or do I mean vent?

EDIT:
    Despite my whining, PvP is the only thing I enjoy in WoW anymore. I must be broken.
    I like when some genius DK follows up a Chillblains Chains of Ice root with a Death Grip (for those unaware, death gripping someone who is rooted does nothing but waste the cooldown on your DG).

• Options
    So the horde win rate in TB on Hellscream has dropped to like 10 or 20%. Most the games I play I see a bunch of alliance from raid/pvp guilds. It seems like just about any alliance I bother to target have 130k+ max health (or around 140 if fort/mark buffed), so you know they're all at least fairly geared. Meanwhile our side seems to have about 50% fresh 85s in the 100-110k and low resil region.

Ugh. It's fucking infuriating going into an offense knowing you're still probably going to lose.

• Options
    Well, finally finished that damn AV grind and got Battlemaster. But ye Gods did I not realize how much gear stats have inflated!

I kinda took a break in season 9 cause of work, that was back in febuary. All this 384 gear that people have make it extra hard to get some simple wins.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I really wish Horde in my battlegroup (yes, I'm aware technically battlegroups are merged, however I'm noticing the vast majority of people I see in random BGs are from Nightfall) had actually learned that zerging with no defense doesn't win AV anymore. It's like the whole concept of back-capping or wiping them on Galv (or the IB gap) is a foreign concept.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote:
    I really wish Horde in my battlegroup (yes, I'm aware technically battlegroups are merged, however I'm noticing the vast majority of people I see in random BGs are from Nightfall) had actually learned that zerging with no defense doesn't win AV anymore. It's like the whole concept of back-capping or wiping them on Galv (or the IB gap) is a foreign concept.

Even better is being yelled at by the offense for not back capping when it's just you, alone, against 5 people defending a tower.

Also, if I had an honor point for every time this weekend I heard "a quick loss is better than a long victory", I'd have at least enough honor for at least a throwing weapon.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Well, @Decoy, it is. Only during AV weekend, but with the queues being instant for me, I was all for "no defense, just zerg onward". The only disclaimer is that you need 5 people each in Stonehearth and Icewing to make sure they burn for the bonus Honor. But I don't yell at people in AV anymore, it's just not worth it. I just do my thing and queue for the next one.

I did yell at the silly geese in my only Arathi for the weekend, where they got the Alliance "We've had it all along" from a cushy lead by generally leaving one person at captured bases (who also didn't even call incoming) and then zerging a single base with everyone else.

And, just like last week, I lost an Arena game to the Death Grip disconnect bug/exploit. I'm really happy that that is apparently back.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I think you're asking for trouble if you see that there's only one person defending each node. Chances that person is alt-tabbed and not paying alot of attention, or that person is a bot are pretty high.

Also, you sometimes don't really get the chance to say that your node needs help if a feral druid or a rogue or two opens up on you.

In other news, I got my 2nd shaman to 85 (this time as alliance), but unfortunately it was right at the end of AV weekend. However, it's IoC next weekend, so I'll just hide my awfulness in that (I'm the proud owner of 3 pvp bits; the rest of my stuff is green gear).

One of my friends alliance side must be bored. He doesn't need any pvp gear as he's got it all, but he insisted on us teaming up and doing some BG's. The slight problem is, is that my damage output amounts to a tickle, in addition to the fact I've got about 90k health. We can defend a base alright (I say we) but I'm pretty sure his damage output as a holy paladin is higher than mine. Even got heals in BG's where he wasn't there, because I'm just hanging back with the healers getting stuff off them. I normally have to whisper some of these healers and go "while it's nice you're trying to keep me alive, I'm in awful gear, so don't worry about it".

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    While sitting in a doomed AV may be less fun, the best option is to just lower your IQ a few notches and go for the zerg. Unless you have instant queues, it's better to lose slowly while getting steady honor as opposed to going back to your 30 minute queue.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Meh, I don't really play AV for the honor. I'd rather finish out achievements but the current player mentality makes many of them impossible.

• Options
    OK, that's it. Blizzard, take Time Warp away from mages. Time and time again they've shown they are not responsible enough to have this ability, so give it to another class that won't ruin it for everyone.

At least 1/3 of my AVs and IoCs end up with 40 people with Temporal Distortion before the gates have even opened.

• Options
    In my experience, that's only because they beat the shaman to the punch.

• Options
    But you still punish the kid who knocked the lamp over, not the other one who might have but didn't get the chance to!

• Options
    nono, I'm saying in my AV/IOCs, it's bloodlust that's the problem, not timewarp.

IMO, You should just start battlegrounds with a 2 minute sated debuff.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    That's a good idea, actually. Or whatever the battleground prep time is plus about 20 seconds.

Anyway, I say take it from mages since they're far more annoying/effective. Especially if resto Wind Shear gets nerfed.

forty on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    I <3 AV weekend, got my warrior all the Season 10 set pieces! Over 3500 resilience, and I can actually kill shit.

Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.