"he who breaks the law shall go back to the house of pain"

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "he shall then be forced to jump around, jump around"

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    aaaand he just praised China's actions in tiananmen square.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Gadhafi basically just said that if you're a part of the opposition, and you take part in the protests, you're gonna die.

Honestly

this guy's just nuts. I think Mubarak actually felt he was doing good, or at least trying to do good for his country. Gadhafi just doesn't care. He would rather die than leave. Libya needs help. Fast.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    being this crazy on tv is pretty much the best thing he has ever done for his country tbqh

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Gadhafi basically just said that if you're a part of the opposition, and you take part in the protests, you're gonna die.

1z30bh4.jpg

Solar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    he's been talking so long that aje just gave the translator a break and switched in a new one.

translator rotations he is forcing

Zoel on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...compared use of force (which he totally hasn't ordered yet but will if he needs to properly punish traitors to the revolution) to the raid on the Branch Davidian cult in Waco.

yyyyup.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is the most surreal thing I have ever seen.

He actually just said that all demonstrations are in support of him. That is a real thing he said.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "who would you follow if not momar, someone with a beard? impossible!"

Zoel on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you love Muammar Gaddafi you will go out and secure Libya's streets

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Please tell me someone is recording all of this and it will be up on Youtube tomorrow. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm gonna go ahead and ask a dumb question here...

Did you expect him to just...leave power without being a dictatorial asshat?

I mean these people are protesting for a reason. In the eyes of the government this is treason and war, I wouldn't expect him to do anything but start shooting.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    well, there's crazy and then there's
    the unity of china was more important than the people in tiananmen square

He openly declared his intention to kill everyone involved in the protest, saying they would beg for mercy and they will not be merciful, all the while accusing the Libyan people of being insufficiently grateful to him, and blaming it all on "drugged young people".

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't think anyone expected him to act differently, but that speech was impressively insane and rambling. He was scattershot, throwing out every excuse, explanation, and threat he could in the hopes that any of it would stick.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    LTM wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and ask a dumb question here...

Did you expect him to just...leave power without being a dictatorial asshat?

I mean these people are protesting for a reason. In the eyes of the government this is treason and war, I wouldn't expect him to do anything but start shooting.

nah of course not

the shocker was that he would reference beards as a disqualification for leadership, say everyone is high on drugs, etc.

Zoel on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    obviously it was a bad translation and what he actually meant was all these beards that are high on drugs are to blame

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    How long until there's King's Speech parodies involving Ghaddafi?

LTM on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    exciting times, these. his downfall has been a long time coming.

didn't we used to call him khadaffi?

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Its one of those Arab names that doesn't translate well. I've seen it with Kh, G, and Q.

LTM on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, do people expect the US to just do something yet?

I mean, we may have some tanks and stuff up on blocks that we could sell to perhaps fund an inquiry that could look into involvement in Libya.

Besides that, we're broke and foreign countries are far away. Not that it matters, it's all Obama's fault anyway whichever side is wrong or whatever.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Reagan would have invaded already.

LTM on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fearghaill wrote: »

trolled

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

trolled

Next he's going to Lemon Party Reuters

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hunter wrote: »

trolled

The true party of the people!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i keep getting the feeling that some of our foreign policy movers-and-shakers got together and said "you know what? all the fucking around we did in the middle east, dealing with dictators and oil tycoons have netted us nothing but trouble. fuck em. let the people toss a match on the fire and let's sit it out. we'll deal with the consequences as they come." this may all lead to a very interesting change in that entire culture.

i do hope the martyrdom is kept to a minimum tho. it's already been too high, but freedom has that effect.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There are apparently reports that a Libyan naval vessel has turned up in Malta and is trying to defect.

That beats the jet, I think.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »

trolled

The true party of the people!

old people maybe

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    There are apparently reports that a Libyan naval vessel has turned up in Malta and is trying to defect.

That beats the jet, I think.

They're just after the falcon!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Did anyone ever run with the theory that the Wikileaks diplomatic cables were what started this whole chain of events? Once people saw what the US really thought of Mubarak, etc, they realized it was the time for revolt...or something.

I remember seeing one or two articles with that theory, but never saw anything authoritative.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Defecting libyan jets to go unused by the Maltese airforce because they're not F-16s.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apparently there's going to be a presentation to the Security Council in 2 and a half hours. Should be interesting.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its one of those Arab names that doesn't translate well. I've seen it with Kh, G, and Q.

There is no G in Arabic, so i don't know where that comes from. The closest thing to the Arabic ق in english is a Q. And thats what his name is spelled with.

But I don't know much about what the dialect in Libya is like so they might pronounce ق differently, which isn't uncommon (In Palestine they pronounce ك and ق the same way, which I guess is funny to other Arabs because the words for "dog" and "heart" sound exactly the same, so no one knows which they are talking about.)

Its also possible that they translate it into "Kh" because Qadaffi doesn't look right in English, and would confuse people who were trying to pronounce it or something. That's the more likely explanation, I bet.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Muammar al-Gaddafi: so sayeth the authoritative source for all things spelling

How about a compromise: *ddafi ?

LTM on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Silliest of Silly Geese would work

Solar on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Muammar al-Gaddafi: so sayeth the authoritative source for all things spelling

How about a compromise: *ddafi ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_al-Gaddafi#Name
    Because of the lack of standardization of transliterating written- and regionally-pronounced Arabic, Gaddafi's name has been transliterated in many different ways into English and other Latin alphabet languages. Even though the Arabic spelling of a word does not change, the pronunciation may vary in different varieties of Arabic, which may cause a different romanization. In literary Arabic the name معمر القذافي can be pronounced /muˈʕamːaru lqaðˈðaːfi/. [ʕ] represents a voiced pharyngeal fricative (ع). Geminated consonants can be simplified. In Libyan Arabic, /q/ (ق) may be replaced with [ɡ] or [k] (or even [χ]; and /ð/ (ذ) (as "th" in "this") may be replaced with [d] or [t]. Vowel often alternates with [o] in pronunciation. Thus, /muˈʕamːar alqaðˈðaːfiː/ is normally pronounced in Libyan Arabic [muˈʕæmːɑrˤ əlɡædˈdæːfi]. The definite article al- (ال) is often omitted.

An article published in the London Evening Standard in 2004 lists a total of 37 spellings of his name, while a 1986 column by The Straight Dope quotes a list of 32 spellings known at the Library of Congress.[100] This extensive confusion of naming was used as the subject for a segment of Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update in the early 1980s.[citation needed]

"Muammar Gaddafi" is the spelling used by TIME magazine, BBC News, the majority of the British press and by the English service of Al-Jazeera.[101] The Associated Press, CNN, and Fox News use "Moammar Gadhafi". The Edinburgh Middle East Report uses "Mu'ammar Qaddafi" and the U.S. Department of State uses "Mu'ammar Al-Qadhafi". The Xinhua News Agency uses "Muammar Khaddafi" in its English reports.[102]

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Al-Jazeera is showing a US State Department press conference. This dude is dannncccciiiinnngggg.

Edit- Hell yes, reporters, bought time you showed some balls.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This twitter user again
    Al Hurra: Husni Mubarak is in the Saudi town of Tabuk & is suffering from Pancreatic Cancer

JoeUser on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    wikileaks probably played a hand by exposing abuse and corruption, but I doubt the us diplomatic cables added much of anything

it's not like the protesters were standing in wait for american approval or something. especially considering most of these dictators have been propped up by the states for decades

Yeah, at most the Wikileaked cable prompted the initial protest in Tunisia, but the government response to that was what escalated the situation to the point where it was able to spread as far as it has.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Why the hell is Clinton talking about Latvia?

Thetheroo on
This discussion has been closed.