As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick tax question

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've received unemployment compensation this year, and I have my 1099-G here. I'm trying to file online and turbotax is prompting me for a goddamn state ID number.

From "box 10-b"

There is no state ID number, there is no box 10-b, and my internet searches for this fabled state ID number are coming up aggravatingly blank.

Does anyone know where I can find this number?

e: I live in Iowa.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So it doesn't look like the form on page 2 here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099g.pdf

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be there if it's actually a 1099-G

Your best option is probably just to call the unemployment office and try to get someone who can give you the state ID number that you need.

Daenris on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nah, it doesn't look quite like that. It's basically the same, but mine stops at box 8.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, yeah in that case I'd just try calling the Iowa unemployment office, because someone there should be able to give you the correct tax ID info.

Daenris on
  • Stop HimStop Him Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Sadly, the Iowa UISD isn't answering its phone. Having just gone through the same problem, I was compelled to register here just to give this bit of info I learned by calling the Iowa Revenue department:

The State Identification number is essentially a duplicate of the Federal Identification number. Use the Federal number in the State field and you should be fine.

Stop Him on
  • localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Did you have any income tax withheld on your unemployment (box 4)? Because if not, and there are no other entries on your form, Turbotax might let you just type in the unemployment compensation manually (1040 line 19). If federal income tax was withheld, though, you'll probably need to have someone give you the state ID number (or a new form altogether).

localh77 on