As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Great New Look... Same Great Taste

Battman23Battman23 Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
With the Windows Vista launch everyone says the same thing: "It sure is pretty, but it makes all of our games run slow." Why not have the best of both worlds. I have found some cool Vista (and non-vista) look-alike shell enhancements and themes. What kind of programs and windows XP themes do you guys use?

Here is a link to dobee at deviantart. He has some great themes. (I am currently using NeoGeniX with his Styler explorer bar. Here is his gallery:
http://dobee.deviantart.com/gallery/

Battman23 on

• Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You might want to go take a look over at the official G&T desktop thread.... it's not just for posting screenshots, you know...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073839641

Also:
    http://www.windowsxlive.net/index.php?page_id=15
    desktop.jpg

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    God, am I the only person on the planet that thinks Vista/transparant windows both are totally impractical and look like ass?

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MrDeadMan wrote:
    God, am I the only person on the planet that thinks Vista/transparant windows both are totally impractical and look like ass?

They look like with the right theme, they COULD be really slick.

yalborap on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    MrDeadMan wrote:

They look like with the right theme, they COULD be really slick.
    well..its personal opinion whether they look like ass or not..but how are they any less, or more practical than non-transparent windows? they serve exactly the same purpose, just as well as non transparent windows

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MrDeadMan wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When I get Vista (which'll be fairly soon), I've long decided that I'll be running without the transparencies. Never been a fan of them.

Suriko on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think the vista theme is just... ugly. It's like MS found the bevel option in Photoshop and applied it to EVERYTHING.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    this thread gets a huge :^: from me.

Because, before I got XP, I ran this program that made 2000 look like XP... only it did it by moving the task bar below the screen, and then drawing it's own xp-style task bar onto the screen. It was slow, clunky, and messy.

But the theme software you listed in the first post is AWESOME. my laptop now looks and behaves just like OSX, only it's running XP.

And now I'm happy. Gracias.

A screenshot if anyone cares:

screenshotbc8.th.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    lofloloflo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MrDeadMan wrote:

Nope. I was just thinking the exact same thing before I read your post.

loflo on
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    loflo wrote:
    MrDeadMan wrote:

Nope. I was just thinking the exact same thing before I read your post.

Ditto. I love how in that first screenshot you can barely see the words 'My Documents' because of all the text in the window behind. (And by love, I mean hate.)

The wallpaper's nice though.

natxcross on
  • Options
    ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's because the screenshot has window transparency set really high. In Vista you can select any value you want. Mine's really subtle and it looks pretty nice, actually, even though I didn't think I'd like it at first. Plus, instead of pure alpha transparency like that XP theme, it applies a blur so you don't get text mixed up.

ecchi on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Because, before I got XP, I ran this program that made 2000 look like XP... only it did it by moving the task bar below the screen, and then drawing it's own xp-style task bar onto the screen. It was slow, clunky, and messy.

But the theme software you listed in the first post is AWESOME. my laptop now looks and behaves just like OSX, only it's running XP.

screenshotbc8.th.png

Are you using the Vista Transformation Suite for that, or did you just apply one of Dobee's themes from the very first post? I tried out the Vista thingy and didn't like it, so I'm back to Dobee's Royale Vista theme...

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    The TommyThe Tommy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like the transparent window titles, but IIRC in Vista there's also other transparent parts of the window (IE7 has a transparent navigation bar, etc.) that look like ass.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't like Vista's theme.

But, the fact that there are all those effects make me have high hopes for future Vista themes. Plus apparently Windows Blinds already works on Vista, with the DX10 support and everything (Stardock did design a good part of the Vista desktop after all).

EDIT: Apparently it doesn't.

EDIT2: oh wait it does.

Giganticus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

screenshotbc8.th.png

Are you using the Vista Transformation Suite for that, or did you just apply one of Dobee's themes from the very first post? I tried out the Vista thingy and didn't like it, so I'm back to Dobee's Royale Vista theme...

It was a long process. I clicked the Dobee link in the first post, and saw the OSX theme and the UXTheme thingy. I installed both and was moderately satisfied, but it wasn't enough for me.

So I went to google and began searching for "Windows XP look like OSX" and one of the first couple of links was a full blown guide. I opened it up and began reading it, and it mentioned 'Flyakyte" as a base to work with. So I googled it, and went to their website.

Basically, Flyakyte is a collection of small programs people have written for XP specifically to replace components with ones that look like OSX, bundled into one single self-extracting zip file. I downloaded that and installed it, and it gave me a good starting point.

That wasn't enough, though - it was a good base though. I installed a couple of other really cool add-ons, like this program that smooths fonts (like OSX) and an advanced tab-browser. Best of all is this program that adds finder-like attributes to any window.

The last step, which took a while to find, was a way to replace the startbar with the OSX menu-bar. There is object dock, which isn't free but works well. Unfortunately, I'm cheap, so that wasn't an option. I looked around, and there were maybe one or two alternatives - McBar sucks, and MacWin was terrible.

I kept looking, and after about an hour or so, I stumbled upon Finderbar, which is free and stable enough to cope with, and unlike McBar and MacWin, very functional and customizable.

And thus, I have my current desktop. If you're interested, I could go into more detail about what I did to my desktop in the desktop thread.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone know if there's a Window's Classic theme on Vista?

Because uhh... there better be?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    There is a classic theme.

bombardier on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

screenshotbc8.th.png

It was a long process. I clicked the Dobee link in the first post, and saw the OSX theme and the UXTheme thingy. I installed both and was moderately satisfied, but it wasn't enough for me.

So I went to google and began searching for "Windows XP look like OSX" and one of the first couple of links was a full blown guide. I opened it up and began reading it, and it mentioned 'Flyakyte" as a base to work with. So I googled it, and went to their website.

Basically, Flyakyte is a collection of small programs people have written for XP specifically to replace components with ones that look like OSX, bundled into one single self-extracting zip file. I downloaded that and installed it, and it gave me a good starting point.

That wasn't enough, though - it was a good base though. I installed a couple of other really cool add-ons, like this program that smooths fonts (like OSX) and an advanced tab-browser. Best of all is this program that adds finder-like attributes to any window.

The last step, which took a while to find, was a way to replace the startbar with the OSX menu-bar. There is object dock, which isn't free but works well. Unfortunately, I'm cheap, so that wasn't an option. I looked around, and there were maybe one or two alternatives - McBar sucks, and MacWin was terrible.

I kept looking, and after about an hour or so, I stumbled upon Finderbar, which is free and stable enough to cope with, and unlike McBar and MacWin, very functional and customizable.

And thus, I have my current desktop. If you're interested, I could go into more detail about what I did to my desktop in the desktop thread.

And yet your menu bars are still in windows-style.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bombardier wrote:
    There is a classic theme.
    <3

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:

screenshotbc8.th.png

And yet your menu bars are still in windows-style.

Is that so?

screenshotie4.th.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    "I installed a couple of other really cool add-ons, like this program that smooths fonts (like OSX) and an advanced tab-browser. Best of all is this program that adds finder-like attributes to any window."

Link plz?

rayofash on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wouldn't the Vista theme be as slow as molasses on Windows XP? Or are the purported benefits of Aeroglass just marketing?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

screenshotbc8.th.png

That would be cool. I'm sure the rest of the dudes in the desktop thread would appreciate it as well. I'd certainly like a good guide. I tried out Dobee's OS X theme and didn't much care for it.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    rayofash wrote:
    "I installed a couple of other really cool add-ons, like this program that smooths fonts (like OSX) and an advanced tab-browser. Best of all is this program that adds finder-like attributes to any window."

Link plz?

FindXer

MacSwitch

Font Smoothing

That whole website (osx-e.com) is a really good resource if you want to do this.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    what are key/telltale signs that you are looking at vista instead of xp?

are there any?

xta on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the help, TSR. I managed to get my desktop looking pretty good.

Here's a pic:

Desktop.jpg

I'm using RKLauncher in case you're wondering. I've been using it for quite a while.

I think it looks swell.

Descendant X on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the help, TSR. I managed to get my desktop looking pretty good.

Here's a pic:

Desktop.jpg

I'm using RKLauncher in case you're wondering. I've been using it for quite a while.

I think it looks swell.

Yeah, I use RKLauncher too.

There's a ton of add-on applications you can use to make your PC really look like OSX.

Whats cool is that these programs are getting smaller and smaller - I remember trying this with 2000 (to get it to look like XP) and my computer slowed to a crawl.

One problem with Finderbar, though - the app ends a bit after the word "Help" so if open a lot of programs, they'll start to peak through the start bar. I fixed this by placing a quicklaunch bar right where the FinderBar ended. It covered it up nicely.

TheSonicRetard on