As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why I hate the media and giant fucking rocks.

MeizMeiz Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
You might have read on the news recently that there is a chance that an asteroid will hit the earth in 2036. You might have also had a sense of deja-vu when reading this. The reason this is so familiar to you is that it's been told several times with only a few key factors changing slightly.

Sources:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/10/doomsday-determined-asteroid-apophis-strike-earth/
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20110208/sc_space/willapophishitearthin2036nasarejectsrussianreport

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaBglzQTmG8&feature=feedu

The reason why this seems familiar to you is because it has been reported before:
http://www.space.com/1740-asteroid-apophis-dealing-earth-future-troublemaker.html

Note the date on the space article.

Now look at your man.

Now back to him:
TYSONNEIL.jpg

And follow this link:
http://fora.tv/2008/02/19/Neil_DeGrasse_Tyson_Death_by_Black_Hole#fullprogram

Now ask yourself: Why are all these news organizations which have the Internet at their disposal not using it?

It took me all of 20 minutes to fish that up and the dated material has more information than shit that was written 5-6 years after the fact.

So for god's sakes, don't panic. It might just look a little weird as it's passing by and chances are, we'll be able to deflect it. But if you're really worried, how about switching majors doing some math and saving the world? Wouldn't that look boss on a resume?

Meiz on

• babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So have they found a drilling team extreme enough to blow this rock up yet or what?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Neil Tyson could smile at that rock and send it blushing into the sun before we need to spend the money on Team Armageddon.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    were you really worried anyone from this forum was gonna be panicking about this

redhead on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    I want to go out for lunch with Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Phil Plait on a day when they are both feeling super patient explaining super awesome shit to me that I have only the slightest grip on. Also the restaurant will need to have a large whiteboard handy so they can show me the math on it, please.

babyeatingjesus on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    redhead wrote: »
    were you really worried anyone from this forum was gonna be panicking about this

i was about to say

as much as some people around here are prone to buying into doomsday scenarios, asteroids are not one of them

Raneados on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want to go out for lunch with Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Phil Plait on a day when they are both feeling super patient explaining super awesome shit to me that I have only the slightest grip on. Also the restaurant will need to have a large whiteboard handy so they can show me the math on it, please.

gonna open a theme restuarant for scientists

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be nearly 50 in 2036. That's a pretty good time to die anyway.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I propose we convert this thread into a temple for the post-punk/early 80's Manchest Music scene. Call it "24 Hour Meteor People." It'll be way cooler than whatever this is.

Come on, let's do this thing

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited February 2011
    Fandyien wrote: »

gonna open a theme restuarant for scientists

The tables should be tablet computers that link up to one screen, so you can get together, have a sandwich, and calculate as a group.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited February 2011
    joy division is good times

Swill on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Raneados wrote: »

i was about to say

as much as some people around here are prone to buying into doomsday scenarios, asteroids are not one of them

And yet, it's probably the most likely one.

Meiz on
    edited February 2011
    I propose we convert this thread into a temple for the post-punk/early 80's Manchest Music scene. Call it "24 Hour Meteor People." It'll be way cooler than whatever this is.

Come on, let's do this thing[URL][/url]

okay

how about some cold wave

which is basically european post punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahs-oaAemjg

Swill on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Meiz wrote: »

i was about to say

mmmm maybe over the span of the entire existence of the earth? yeah

but in current life? man i dunno

Raneados on
    edited February 2011

i was about to say

I always figured it to be pandemic disease.

babyeatingjesus on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm afraid of super viruses.

stimtokolos on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

i was about to say

Nothing to worry about, either way, because we have no goddamn control over it with our current levels of technology.

In other words: relaaaaax.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait

Which giant?

I mean some of them do indeed rock, but a lot of them kinda suck.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
    edited February 2011
    Europe never made a single rock song. They just copied us. Or England. . . who copied us. What I'm saying is that I'd rather make fun of it than listen to it. . . not that I won't do both.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited February 2011
    The biggest threat to our existence are clearly cosmic horrors from some non-euclidean dimension of utter terror.

At least that's what I want to believe.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    edited February 2011
    Dubh wrote: »

i was about to say

Nothing to worry about, either way, because we have no goddamn control over it with our current levels of technology.

seriously if there's a bigass asteroid coming at us, either the scientists will be able to fix it or they won't

either way I have no control over that matter so I'm just gonna chill

Raneados on
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011

i was about to say

Ok, I see your point.

But I'd be more prone to listen to someone going "hay, giant fucking rock right now get in the hole!" than anything else. Granted, I'd still be seeing if Neil had anything to say on the matter. In fact, if the man told me Kool aid is for suckers, I'd never drink another drop.

Meiz on
    edited February 2011
    One good thing I will say about all this asteroid nonsense is it opened the discussion on possible fixes and I found out about the idea of gravity tethering and that shit makes me hard.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited February 2011

i was about to say

seriously if there's a bigass asteroid coming at us, either the scientists will be able to fix it or they won't

Well, Rane, if the world's gonna end I say we all fly over to one location and have a big-ass party, or something, 'neath the glow of our impending doom.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited February 2011
    I'm afraid of super viruses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijPE7fe4XTg

If rap is involved I only become even more scared.

stimtokolos on
    edited February 2011

i was about to say

Well, Rane, if the world's gonna end I say we all fly over to one location and have a big-ass party, or something, 'neath the glow of our impending doom.

I'd probably pass on that, that sort of party would get bad real quick as the people who only act good because of repercussions slowly start to realize there won't be any repercussions

I'd like my final hours to be classy and quiet and serene with a few like-minded people

Raneados on
    edited February 2011
    One good thing I will say about all this asteroid nonsense is it opened the discussion on possible fixes and I found out about the idea of gravity tethering and that shit makes me hard.

Me too.

stimtokolos on
    edited February 2011
    In 2035, the world will be hit by enough rap to crack the mantle like an egg.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited February 2011
    In 2035, the world will be hit by enough rap to crack the mantle like an egg.

And the barbarians will win.

Ferrus on
    edited February 2011
    If the world was going to end I would go and chill out in the country under the stars with some good booze.
    Rolling hills and rain forests here I come.

Or maybe I would hope that the impact didn't tear the earth the fuck apart. And live underground. Maybe.

stimtokolos on
    edited February 2011
    i suddenly realize that I think I'm in a perpetual state of thinking that technology is on some huge verge of amazingness

like I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be like Blade runner or A.I. or something

like we live on a fringe of advancement and yes, there are loads of technological advancements and I look at them and go FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING FUTURE

but there's just this THING that needs to make this technology wave crest over and crash down into "The Future"

it is pretty silly and idealistic! but it feels good so I'll keep on

Raneados on
    edited February 2011

Yeah, so when it does fly by, they can park a shuttle, tether it and as a result the asteroid misses the keyhole entirely and ends up crashing into some other planet full of suckers who end up evolving at a highly accelerated rate hellbent on our total annihilation.

Either that or they do the same and send it right back at us.

And we end up in an intergalactic game of ping pong that spans over millenia.

Meiz on
    edited February 2011
    Apparently in the remake of Brighton Rock, the guy who played Ian Curtis in 24 Hour Party People get into a fist fight with the guy who played Ian Curtis in Control.

That's film nerdy/music nerdy enough for me to catch it.

Oh, and John Hurt.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited February 2011
    Basically the universe becomes the game Fragile Allegiance where I build engines on my asteroids and fly them as weapons at my enemies because I don't feel like teching to Mega Missiles.

stimtokolos on
    edited February 2011
    Basically the universe becomes the game Fragile Allegiance where I build engines on my asteroids and fly them as weapons at my enemies because I don't feel like teching to Mega Missiles.

Not if Commander Shepard is around.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited February 2011
    If you butts like space pictures, APOD has a twitter account and posts cool shots like this:
    SH2_240_NobuhikoMiki.jpg

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited February 2011
    I'd like to see him try and stop me when I ally myself with the most powerful alien races.
    Except the blue guys, they're jerks.

stimtokolos on
    edited February 2011
    my soul was partially destroyed when I found out those space pictures aren't naturally colored

Raneados on