As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATM Card Question

An-DAn-D EnthusiastAshevilleRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I live in China and I've been doing a lot of traveling around to the point where I have no cash left. I do have an ATM card though, but my checking account is pretty much tapped out (I've been using it to make payments on my credit card, so I would have pretty awesome credit when I got back home in half a year. In theory).

But I have tons of available credit on my credit card (because awesome credit), so I want to draw out cash with that (I know about the penalty, but its kind of an emergency).

When I tried to use my credit card at the ATM, it was all 'Wrong pin number' and I'm all '...no, I'm pretty sure thats right.' But it doesn't work. Blah.

If I use my ATM card, and when that selection comes up for: Checking, Savings and Credit...if I hit 'Credit' will it deduct from my credit card? There apparently isn't an ATM within walking distance for me to test it, so I'm asking here and will try to find one on my way to the train station (I already have my train ticket to Beijing, thank god. That is fairly close to home).

I kind of rambled there, but TL;DR: "When using an ATM card and withdrawing money, if I choose to withdraw from my credit account, will it actually come from my credit card account or is it some weird thing that probably doesn't have money on it?"

The bank I use is BB&T and both my cards have VISA logo-things.

EDIT: This is a little bit urgent. At 2pm tomorrow, I get on a train for 20 hours (from Guangzhou) and I would like to have food while I do that. Its pretty rare to find a store or restaurant that takes VISA in this country.

An-D on

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You should probably call your bank. I think if they are two separate cards, you wouldn't be able to do that. But if they are linked for overdraft protection, maybe you can? I know i have a separate pin for my credit line, from my ATM (checking/savings). Also, be careful putting the wrong pin in too many times, it may eat your card and then you will REALLY be screwed.

In my experience, getting the pin for your credit card takes a few days, they wont give it to you over the phone. Can you buy travelers checks with a visa? that might be an option.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You should probably call your bank. I think if they are two separate cards, you wouldn't be able to do that. But if they are linked for overdraft protection, maybe you can? I know i have a separate pin for my credit line, from my ATM (checking/savings). Also, be careful putting the wrong pin in too many times, it may eat your card and then you will REALLY be screwed.

In my experience, getting the pin for your credit card takes a few days, they wont give it to you over the phone. Can you buy travelers checks with a visa? that might be an option.

The main problem is finding places that accept VISA cards. I'm also in Guangzhou where they speak Cantonese. A lot speak Mandarin too, but their accent is weird and I have a super hard time understanding them (doesn't help that I don't have a terrific ear for Chinese in general) - so its hard to find places that would accept it.

My credit card and debit card are linked to the same account, I think (when I log into BB&T online, they are both visible). I just tried to transfer $100 from the credit card to the ATM card and it failed (Insufficient funds? o_O), so I guess that is something weird I need to figure out.

Does anyone know what the credit selection does when withdrawing from ATMs?

An-D on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe the ATM simply doesn't accept your VISA card?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think a debit credit/check card contains any actual line of credit.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The machine I used said it accepted VISA, but it was also one that wouldn't let me choose Checking, Savings or Credit. I am positive that I know the pin for my credit card.

And I don't think it would have a line of credit either, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was linked to my credit card. (I really hope this is the case)

An-D on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can almost certainly try to call BB&T collect on their international help line.

Cash advances on credit cards come with an exorbitantly high rate of interest and no grace period.. FYI!

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    For people that were on the edge of their seats:

No. You can use your debit card to draw cash from your credit card.

The hostel I'm staying in now took my card no sweat (joy of being in a big city). The train station won't take the credit card so I can't make it all the way home (where my emergency supply of cash is), but if I find a travel agency, I can use my card there. In theory.

I also found like...50 yuan in my pants, so I can buy dumplings and shit.

Things are looking up for old An-D.

An-D on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Least you get a crazy traveling in China story (to go on top of your other crazy traveling in China stories)?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    An-D wrote: »
    For people that were on the edge of their seats:

No. You can use your debit card to draw cash from your credit card.

The hostel I'm staying in now took my card no sweat (joy of being in a big city). The train station won't take the credit card so I can't make it all the way home (where my emergency supply of cash is), but if I find a travel agency, I can use my card there. In theory.

I also found like...50 yuan in my pants, so I can buy dumplings and shit.

Things are looking up for old An-D.

Ahaha.

This happened to me almost exactly.

I was on an island somewhere that had ATMs from two banks on two different networks, so I was set with my ATM card!

Except one network wouldn't accept my card, and the other ATM was broken!

Luckily I had enough food to eat and found a travel agency that took credit cards so I was able to buy a ferry ticket off the island.

Good luck. :^:

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apparently travel agencies don't exist anywhere near my hostel, but my hostel would book a train ticket (but only in cash). They have credit card technology.

I got into a big discussion with them about why they couldn't let me book with my credit card ("because the train station only takes cash!"). They called the manager from home, and the discussion continued.

I told them that I would pay extra, that even though I didn't have cash, they did and why did it matter how the hostel got the money etc etc. I think I ended up drawing a diagram at some point.

But in the end, I got the hostel to reconsider their business strategy, and they took my credit card to get my ticket. 10pm (my time), I'll be on my way home to Changchun.

An-D on