Options

Whaddaya-call-it-when...? (Art term help)

Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm translating an exhibition pamphlet from Chinese into English, and the pamphlet uses the Chinese term 寫生, which refers to paintings or drawings where the subject is actually in front of the artist, as opposed to imaginary or historical subjects.

Is there a term in English that actually captures this shade of meaning? It doesn't matter particularly what the subject IS (it could be a landscape or still life), just that the artist has to be physically looking at it when painting it. I've looked up a series of wikipedia pages on visual art and don't see this distinction made at all. If there's no English art term for this I'm going to have to work around it somehow.

Pipe Dreamer on

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Painting from life?

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When someone sits for a painting/sitting for a portrait?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    saltiness wrote: »
    Painting from life?
    Yeah, I don't see how else you could translate this.

Aldo on
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure there is a catch-all term for what you're describing.

"Painting from life" or "life-drawing" is probably the closest you'll get.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Still life, perhaps?

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I immediately thought 'Still Life', but 'Painting from Life' seems just as good

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Still Life generally only refers to non-living or non-sentient subject matter.

saltiness on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Life drawing is good, also good is observational drawing or drawing from observation. Although drawing from observation has other meanings, so maybe that's not as good.

The Cow on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Google translate gives me:
    paint from life
    sketch from nature
    draw from nature

=P

Xaviar on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've heard it referred to as using a reference, also.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Plein air is the only term I can think of that we use, and it specifically for painting outdoors. I dont think there is an english term for life drawing/ still life drawing.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    When someone sits for a painting/sitting for a portrait?

Yeah, for portraits its known as A Sitting.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_plein_air

As Iruka said,

En Plein Air refers to art from real subjects in the outdoors as opposed to from imagination. It was used mostly to describe landscape painting, but it can be loosely applied to mean any subject.

Rye on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

To me that implies that the subject was actually not in front of the artist like in a life drawing scenario.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Visti wrote: »

To me that implies that the subject was actually not in front of the artist like in a life drawing scenario.

Yeah, you're right :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for everybody's input! I think en plein air is closest to what I'm trying to get at.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I really don't think en plein air is the best term to use here because it's a) French and b) it refers specifically to outdoor painting from life. I've never heard it used in any other context.

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've never heard it used before in any context. Maybe if the OP showed us what he had so far we could try to rewrite it a bit?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My google search for "en plein air" turned up a lot of results in a lot of contexts, including uses like "landscape paintings en plein air" so I'm pretty sure it's used, though certainly I could be wrong in this context.

Here's what I have so far:
    Her _________ contain a refreshing element of surreality, whether they depict Taiwan's cross-island highway, military dependents' villages pre-urban renewal, the spectacular vistas of Jinguashi, or other scenes from her travels.

Where the blank is where the mystery phrase should go (I was contemplating using "paintings en plein air"). Here's the source text, if anybody who reads Chinese happens across this:
    無論是長幅的橫貫公路圖、將汰舊換新的司法眷村圖、北台灣奇特的金瓜石風景線,以及國內外遊蹤所至等,據實非實的寫生都令人感到耳目一新

Pipe Dreamer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So she is drawing exclusively landscapes? Because then I'd use "en plein air landscapes"

I dunno what audience you're writing for, if it's readers who know a thing or two about art [history] or related subjects they'll understand what en plein air refers to and they will understand that "a landscape" means "a drawing of a landscape"*. If it's like a more random audience you might want to go with "her landscape paintings from life", because I think everyone will understand what you mean that way.

*the etymology of "landscape" is fascinating, really.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    I would say en plein air is almost certainly the correct term for an English translation. The technique was popularised by the French impressionists hence why we still use the French term rather than a translation. If you were going for a literal Chinese to English translation then you might want to use something else but if this is for an art museum going educated audience then en plein air would be the expected term.

If you were expecting potentially a lot of pre-highschool educated kids then you might include a literal translation or definition of the phrase in parenthesis or as a footnote. But I guess you would ask the curator/publisher/organiser for guidance on that.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ehhh, an art museum audience doesn't mean art history educated. I wouldn't use that term unless you also define it in the sentence.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ehhh, an art museum audience doesn't mean art history educated. I wouldn't use that term unless you also define it in the sentence.
    You can gather the meaning of the term from the sentence, a museum going audience will be pleased to learn a new word. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i'd favor From life over en plein air since it literally means "in the open air" and over here is used exclusively for landscapes (not because they're painted as they're seen, but because they're painted in the outdoors).

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    You can gather the meaning of the term from the sentence, a museum going audience will be pleased to learn a new word. :P

I disagree, to an extent.
    Her en plein air paintings contain a refreshing element of surreality, whether they depict Taiwan's cross-island highway, military dependents' villages pre-urban renewal, the spectacular vistas of Jinguashi, or other scenes from her travels.

Does not tell you what "en plein air" means. But yes, a museum going audience will be please to learn a new word/phrase. Therefor...
    Her en plein air paintings, paintings done of things that she was looking at, contain a refreshing element of surreality, whether they depict Taiwan's cross-island highway, military dependents' villages pre-urban renewal, the spectacular vistas of Jinguashi, or other scenes from her travels.

The best options doesn't read as awkward as what I threw together, but this at least explains whats going on.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Honestly, I'd just go with
    Her paintings, done from direct observation, contain a refreshing element of surreality, whether they depict Taiwan's cross-island highway, military dependents' villages pre-urban renewal, the spectacular vistas of Jinguashi, or other scenes from her travels.

unless we're specifying paintings made outside. Simple, conveys the relevant information, doesn't distract too heavily from the actual content of the work. No one in any kind of arts school would refer to anything except paintings made outside, almost always of a landscape, as 'en plein air'. The phrase also connotes certain traditional and impressionist attitudes towards painting, that may not jive with a contemporary painter's method and work. Coming from a gallery director for undergraduate's perspective, it's impossible to say without seeing what sort of work is being described.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That is much better written, although if we're allowed to nitpick on structure:
    Whether they depict Taiwan's cross-island highway, military dependents' villages pre-urban renewal, the spectacular vistas of Jinguashi, or other scenes from her travels, her paintings, done from direct observation, contain a refreshing element of surreality.

Improvolone on