As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How long should I wait?

OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So for a little while now, I've had a little bit of a crush on a young lady working at the cafeteria of the university where I work. She's funny, seems quite intelligent, and is very pretty to boot. She's a student there still, while I'm a recent grad. I've not had MANY opportunities to interact with her to any depth, however.

It didn't take much detective work to find out she had a boyfriend, so I more or less abandoned any notions of ANYTHING early on. However, today through a small conversation stemming from her mentioning how she was feeling down, she told me she had just broken up with said boyfriend.

Which brings me to the question...I would LIKE to ask her if she'd like to grab a drink after work/school or something to that effect, but I'm completely unsure of A) whether I should at all, and B) when would be appropriate, assuming I should at all and given the situation. So...try or don't try? If so...how/when?

I actually feel quite silly asking this question, but I really am this dense when it comes to things like this, despite having at least a few relationships under my belt at this point. Anyways, opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ormuss on

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ask her.

Just beware of ex-boyfriend rage.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd just say that you should probably check with your Uni's HR regulations on employees dating current students (presuming I'm reading your situation right).

If it's all good there, just ask her. She'll tell you if she's not comfortable with it.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    twmjr wrote: »
    I'd just say that you should probably check with your Uni's HR regulations on employees dating current students (presuming I'm reading your situation right).

If it's all good there, just ask her. She'll tell you if she's not comfortable with it.

...shit, that's an EXCELLENT point I had totally glossed over. I don't THINK it would be an issue given the type of employee I am, but I damn well better verify that.

As for ex-boyfriend rage, I'm not overly concerned about that, I suppose. If someone wants to physically assault me, they'll probably easily best me, but they'd be dealing with whatever legal consequences I could bring to bear on them.

Still interested in any further opinions people have.

Ormuss on
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think thepain meant ex-boyfriend rage in the sense that all said girl will want to talk about is how horrible her ex is and how much she hates him.

anyway...
    You're just asking her out for a drink, OP, not proposing crazy monkey sex in the supply closet. Just ask her out already, see what she says. Your goal is to spend some time together, get to know each other, see where it goes. Not that big of a deal.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't want to concern you, because you should ask her out, but ex-boyfriend rage is real.

I dated a girl who broke up with her bf around Thanksgiving. We started seeing each other a few days after Christmas. She TOLD him about it 3rd week of January. So 2 months after they broke up.

He found me and hit me in the face with a roll of dimes. No eating for a month while my jaw was wired shut.

So... don't take it so lightly and cavalier, please, if he did approach you.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't want to concern you, because you should ask her out, but ex-boyfriend rage is real.

I dated a girl who broke up with her bf around Thanksgiving. We started seeing each other a few days after Christmas. She TOLD him about it 3rd week of January. So 2 months after they broke up.

He found me and hit me in the face with a roll of dimes. No eating for a month while my jaw was wired shut.

So... don't take it so lightly and cavalier, please, if he did approach you.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a serious thing in that way. I certainly don't want to get my ass kicked at ALL, let alone over something like this.

Also, the OTHER sort of ex-boyfriend rage would certainly be a problem too. I'd be on the lookout for that.

Ormuss on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, when you said "They'll easily best me, but the legal consequences..." that showed you were not taking it seriously at all. Like, you could be in pain for the rest of your life serious. Legal consequences would not make you feel any better then.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think thepain meant ex-boyfriend rage in the sense that all said girl will want to talk about is how horrible her ex is and how much she hates him.

Yeah, you got me.

I didn't type it very clearly though.

My bad.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, when you said "They'll easily best me, but the legal consequences..." that showed you were not taking it seriously at all. Like, you could be in pain for the rest of your life serious. Legal consequences would not make you feel any better then.

I believe I understand the gravity of the potential danger, but in truth, I'm not entirely sure what I could do to prevent it from happening if a jealous ex decided to go crazy. Did you have a recommendation as to what could be done to prevent it?

Ormuss on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Strike while the iron is hot. Ask her on a date. Attractive and nice single people don't stay single long.

The worst that can happen is she says no, in which case no was probably going to happen anyway.

Just a date though, don't do anything like confess love or something stupid like that, she just got out of a relationship after all. Take it slow.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ormuss wrote: »

I believe I understand the gravity of the potential danger, but in truth, I'm not entirely sure what I could do to prevent it from happening if a jealous ex decided to go crazy. Did you have a recommendation as to what could be done to prevent it?

On one side, you really shouldn't overthink it. The 'when' in 'when should I ask her out' is the same 'when' in 'when I realized that I wanted to ask her out'. It is, ideally, a zero-time transaction. :)

On the other side, re: the ex, there is nothing you can really do, it's in the hands of other people so to speak. It's relatively rare*, so you've either spent a portion of your life thus far preparing for random combat, or you haven't.

* rare in general, but there are types of girls who are likely to have raging ex's. If you are unlucky enough to have an intuitive attraction to these types, raging ex's may become quite a common thing for you. Poor bastich. I myself seemingly have an attraction to girls who like to make big scenes in public about what an absolute asshole I am. Super awesome.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah don't let the slim possibility that her boyfriend is going to come raging after you stop you. it's not like you know the guy and are trying to get with her before they reconcile.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, go for it. I just want everyone to be aware that people CAN DO crazy things.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can they ever. :P

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I believe I'll take a chance and ask. Probably won't get to until the week after next anyways, since it's reading week this coming week, so there'll be a buffer time anyways, however short. Gives me a bit more time to work up the nerve, I spose.

Ormuss on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The sooner the better because you'll be playing off the rebound which only helps your chances. =p

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I believe I'll take a chance and ask. Probably won't get to until the week after next anyways, since it's reading week this coming week, so there'll be a buffer time anyways, however short. Gives me a bit more time to work up the nerve, I spose.

If I were you, I'd make a special trip asap, rather than waiting two weeks. If she didn't want you to know she was single, she would never have told you, dude. Go ask her today.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    spool32 wrote: »

If I were you, I'd make a special trip asap, rather than waiting two weeks. If she didn't want you to know she was single, she would never have told you, dude. Go ask her today.

Augh...I've been thinking this too. But here's the problem: I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned reading week. I will still be here during that week, since I work rather than go to school here...it is my ASSUMPTION that she will not, given her status as a student; the caf would likely give her the week off, too. I checked if she was working today, and she was not. I...might be out of luck, given that. :(

Ormuss on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, barring any other advice, I guess that's about all. I'll still try when I see her next, even if it's after the break. I wish the timing here had been a bit better so I didn't have to worry, but what can you do. Thank you all for the help.

Ormuss on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't make a big deal out of it. The more you build it up in your mind, the higher the chance you will be so nervous she'll be a bit put off (unless she already likes you in which case the nerves might be endearing, but don't rely on this), and if you're too nervous the little voice in your brain may just prevent you from asking at all.

Just casually mention to her you were planning to go for a coffee and would she like to come along.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Remember, asking someone out is not the same thing as entering a relationship. Sometimes I think guys seem to confuse the two. Just ask her out for some coffee, or a drink, or whatever it is you enjoy doing that you think she would be in to.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Remember, asking someone out is not the same thing as entering a relationship. Sometimes I think guys seem to confuse the two. Just ask her out for some coffee, or a drink, or whatever it is you enjoy doing that you think she would be in to.

This is good advice

Also, keep in mind that as she's freshly single she may say "I'm not looking to have a relationship right now". That's good, because then you're clear about what she wants, but also bad because if you keep pushing it too much she'll probably not want to even be friends with you anymore

Usagi on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't want to hijack, but it seems the OP has made a decision. I have a similar question.

Without getting to a back story there is a girl I want to see, but her situation is a little different. Well, she was dating this guy for several months, almost a year. They moved to another town together and were quite serious. Well one morning she woke up and he was dead next to her in bed. Yeah, fucked up. That was just about a year ago. Now, I would like to see her. Is there a more tactical/sensitive way to approach this? What I gather from a mutual friend is that she is still feeling the effects of the whole boyfriend dying on her thing.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To the o.p., is the girls name Ramona Flowers?

If not, the likelyhood of a deranged ex-boyfriend causing you severe physical pain is very low.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Is there a more tactical/sensitive way to approach this? What I gather from a mutual friend is that she is still feeling the effects of the whole boyfriend dying on her thing.

no there really isn't a way to move in on someone whose last boyfriend died in bed barely a year ago especially when a mutual friend says she's still pretty fucked up over it

like... pretty sure that's when not to hit on someone 101 or maybe even 095

cabsy on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack, but it seems the OP has made a decision. I have a similar question.

Without getting to a back story there is a girl I want to see, but her situation is a little different. Well, she was dating this guy for several months, almost a year. They moved to another town together and were quite serious. Well one morning she woke up and he was dead next to her in bed. Yeah, fucked up. That was just about a year ago. Now, I would like to see her. Is there a more tactical/sensitive way to approach this? What I gather from a mutual friend is that she is still feeling the effects of the whole boyfriend dying on her thing.

This one is out of my league and I don't really have advice for the situation but I do think you'll get a much better response with a thread of your own because, as you said, it looks like the OP is done and so there likely won't be as much foot traffic in this thread anymore.

Underdog on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EskimoDave, that's a risky one. One thing is, you have to understand that she probably still loves him - it's not like a break-up, where he told he didn't want her anymore. It's to be assumed that they were in a happy relationship. Put that kind of mourning on top of the emotional scarring and images she probably has nightmares about all the time, and a year may not be long enough for her. Best thing you could do is put aside your feelings and maybe offer some friendship, since that's probably what she needs the most.

melting_doll on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that's not really the same situation at all. Make your own thread, please.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn