As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

112th Congress: Boehner Claims Deal Exists, Government Shutdown Averted

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So hey, it's a new Congress thread! We were promised jobs, but the new House seems to mostly be focused on making women die. So that's exciting.

The Senate is its usual moribund self.

The major fight at the moment is going to be the budget. There are a couple major issues:

1) Funding the health care bill. Today the House voted to not so much fund it. This would force a government shutdown if the Dems and the President stand up for their bill.
2) Entitlements. Social security isn't so much the problem (or is easily solved with a lifting of the cap on the payroll tax). Medicare/Medicaid are a major long term problem, but slightly less so in the short term. They'd be most helped by a general lowering of health care costs, but nothing to do that will be passed in this here Congress.
3) How much to fuck over poor people? The Democrats say a lot, particularly in the realms of say, going to college or heating their homes. The Republicans say that nothing short of making them starve to death in the streets is acceptable.

Yes, I'm somewhat pissed at the moment, as the upcoming links to bullshit the House has done just today I'm sure will show.

Lastly, try to be nice to the conservatives and libertarians so jacob doesn't kill us. I won't post the big orange warning like I did in the previous thread, but know that you should play nice.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fuck it. I vote government shutdown. They'll (the Republicans, that is) lose the PR fight on that one.

And I say this as somebody who will be fucked over brutally by a government shutdown.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While the heating thing is bullshit, let's not go nuts about the student loan thing.

They removed a program to give people an extra round of grants during the summer. A program that was only recently implemented and one that, as I remember, didn't show much in the way of return.

shryke on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why do congressional Republicans hate America?

MKR on
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isn't a government shutdown exactly what the freshman Teapers wanted?

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    While the heating thing is bullshit, let's not go nuts about the student loan thing.

They removed a program to give people an extra round of grants during the summer. A program that was only recently implemented and one that, as I remember, didn't show much in the way of return.

It's partially snark. But there's a lot of poor people fucking in that proposed budget.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Fuck it. I vote government shutdown. They'll (the Republicans, that is) lose the PR fight on that one.

And I say this as somebody who will be fucked over brutally by a government shutdown.

I will probably only be fucked over gently, but I still say shut that shit down. The rabidly contrarian attitudes and behaviors of the red team are becoming blatantly childish. They need a time out.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What exactly would a government shutdown entail

Arch on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    House strips Planned Parenthood of Federal Funding!

I'm new to this thread so I don't know how much of an asshole I can be so just write to congress.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They also eliminated subsidized graduate school loans. Which, granted, isn't nearly as abhorrent as cutting heating subsidies, but is still complete bullshit, particularly when the President is talking about the need to out-educate and out-innovate competitors.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arch wrote: »

What exactly would a government shutdown entail
    All services provided or funded by the federal government would stop.

It would last about as long as it would take for the first round of Social Security mailings to not go out.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So let's recap this week.

1. Defunding of Planned Parenthood
    2. Defunding of parts of HCR
    3. Defunding of PBS/NPR
    4. Re-funding of the Army NASCAR cars.

Sounds about right.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isn't a government shutdown exactly what the freshman Teapers wanted?

Not really. Everyone says they want a government shutdown, but in reality its a huge pain in the ass. Teapers want a government shutdown until they realize "DA GUVERNMENT!" sends checks for Social Security and Medicare. Government shutdowns are a nightmare to deal with and clog up administrations for months.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, salaried federal workers still get paid for the time that the government is shut down. They don't get their paychecks until it restarts, but I believe they don't lose money in the long run. If they're living check to check it will cause some hardship, but still no savings.

Regrettably, I believe that includes congressmen.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    dojango wrote: »
    Also, salaried federal workers still get paid for the time that the government is shut down. They don't get their paychecks until it restarts, but I believe they don't lose money in the long run. If they're living check to check it will cause some hardship, but still no savings.

This is a good point.

Since so much of our federal budget is tied up in those pesky salaries, we'll basically be paying for government without actually getting anything from it.

How fiscally responsible.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edit: re needing a timeout

They really do. Some of this shit is just ridiculous. I've been increasingly horrified over the past several weeks. Like, I knew they were crazy, but I thought they were crazy within the confines of what congress should actually be doing. They're just being pathetic and spiteful. And for some reason some people like this bullshit.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

This is a good point.

Since so much of our federal budget is tied up in those pesky salaries, we'll basically be paying for government without actually getting anything from it.

We're not getting anything out of it now, so it barely matters. The poor and infirm will be hurt, but they'd be hurt more in the long run if people never got to see what happens when they get rid of government temporarily.

MKR on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    galenblade wrote: »

3. Defunding of PBS/NPR

Sounds about right.

Wait, did they ACTUALLY defund PBS/NPR? Or just say they would in the budget?

They also eliminated subsidized graduate school loans. Which, granted, isn't nearly as abhorrent as cutting heating subsidies, but is still complete bullshit, particularly when the President is talking about the need to out-educate and out-innovate competitors.

Yeah, that part is bullshit.

shryke on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, if the house and senate can't agree on a budget, and get the pres to sign off on it by 3/4/11, then shutdown?

Barring the senate dems being total geese and folding along with Obama, is there any way we're not having a shutdown?

VishNub on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How would Democrats come out looking better if a government shutdown happened? Wouldn't the President and Democrats be viewed as just blocking everything they disagree with?

fortis on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

This is a good point.

It'll screw over a lot of poor people. That's what fiscally responsible means, right?

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    VishNub wrote: »
    So, if the house and senate can't agree on a budget, and get the pres to sign off on it by 3/4/11, then shutdown?

Barring the senate dems being total geese and folding along with Obama, is there any way we're not having a shutdown?

It's the only endgame here where Democrats can win. If the Republicans force it, I can't imagine them passing on the chance to recover.
    fortis wrote: »
    How would Democrats come out looking better if a government shutdown happened? Wouldn't the President and Democrats be viewed as just blocking everything they disagree with?

A lot of apathetic liberals would suddenly become very motivated.

MKR on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The House leadership can rely on the Tea Partiers to pass their budget that will never amount to anything, or they can get some Democrats to do something saner.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    fortis wrote: »
    They didn't last time, but part of that was because Gingrich admitted he only did it because Clinton made him sit in the back of the plane.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    VishNub wrote: »

Pressure from constituents can turn around even crazy congresscritters.

That's part of why the whacko Republicans who are pro-shutdown are downplaying the effect on government assistance checks in the event of a shutdown.

You tell their biggest constituency that their Social Security checks aren't coming because they elected douchebags who can't even pass a reasonable budget and there will be walker-related fatalities on the Hill.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Fantastic, I wasn't aware of this. That's nice that even more interest will be made off of people who are trying to get educated and help this country 'win the future'. But hey, it's not like the interest rate on graduate school loans isn't like triple that of undergraduate loans (Hint: It is). Looking forward to this.

Also, about time we got the whole $300 million from Planned Parenthood back. Hopefully Congress will create a new program that provides free babysitting to upper income families with the savings.

BirdsWay on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5GOCfpE4RQ&feature=player_embedded

Here's Rep. Gwen Moore (D-WI) speaking in opposition to the Pence Amendment.

This is my transcription and I think it's pretty much right but I might have messed up a little:
    "I know a lot about having black babies. I've had three of them. And I had my first one when I was eighteen years old, at the ripe old age of eighteen. An unplanned pregnancy. And let me tell you, I went into labor unfortunately on New Year's Eve. I had not even one dime. Phone calls cost a dime at that time, I didn't have a phone in my home. I didn't have a dime to go to the phone booth to call an ambulance, an ambulance, which is a waste of money, using Medicaid dollars, but I didn't have a car and I didn't have cab fare. I just want to tell you a little bit about what it's like to not have planned parenthood. You have to add water to the formula. You have to give your kids ramen noodles at the end of the month to fill up their little bellies so they won't cry. You have to give them mayonnaise sandwiches. They get very few fresh fruits and vegetables, because they're expensive. It subjects children to low educational attainment because of the ravages of poverty. You know, one of the biggest problems that school districts have in educating some of these poor black children, who are unplanned, is that they're mobile, they're constantly moving, because they can't pay the rent.
    the rest is spoilered and you should read it
    And yes, I heard many of you talk about sexual predators, it subjects them to sexual predators, as when you try to go out to do a little work, you have to leave your kids with just anybody, 'cause you don't have $800-1200/month for childcare.

And let me tell you: the public policy has treated poor children and women who have not had the benefit of planned parenthood with utter contempt. These same children, it has been very difficult to get them health insurance through [???]. When you go to the grocery store, to buy them a little birthday cake with your food stamps, everyone stares at you in contempt. And yes, on a bipartisan basis, Democrats and Republicans ended the entitlement Aid to Families with Dependent Children. So that when we have a recession like we have now, women --who are alone, typically-- poor, of color, with these poor black children, have no money, go months and months and months with little or nothing to sustain themselves. And you know, I recall that the first item on the YouCut website was to cut Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.

And let me tell you what it does to women who cannot plan their parenthood. It derails their ability to complete education and training, so that they can get a job. The TANF law is very harsh, it won't even let women complete high school diplomas. It sends them into workfare programs at very low wage service industries, often jobs with no unemployment benefits, and of course they're treated with contempt and disdain when they apply for any aid. They're humiliated.

And so I would beg my colleagues to not defund Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood is healthy for women, it's healthy for children, it's healthy for our society.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

3. Defunding of PBS/NPR

Sounds about right.

5. 40% cut of DOE, NIH, and NIST so as to destroy federal research nationwide

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

3. Defunding of PBS/NPR

Sounds about right.

Ah, they did not. Thought they had, but apparently it's still forthcoming.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I get to stop deploying if they shut down. Right?

Right?

Quid on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quid wrote: »

I get to stop deploying if they shut down. Right?

Right?

Nope, you just get to stop being paid.

Well, actually I guess the army keeps getting to fight and keeps getting paid. Let nothing stop our glorious march to victory! Or something

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited February 2011

3. Defunding of PBS/NPR

Sounds about right.

Ah, they did not. Thought they had, but apparently it's still forthcoming.

whew, that's a relief. Poor Ira Glass will have to be narrating for food on the mean streets of Chicago otherwise.

dojango on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Duder on facebook saying we need to run our government at 300$ billion.

IDK what this is.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Duder on facebook saying we need to run our government at 300$ billion.

IDK what this is.

Laughable.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's less than half the defense budget alone.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maybe the guy's a pacificist and doesn't think we need to outspend all the other nations in the world combined?

dojango on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So far, the amendments for HR1 that have passed votes. I don't see an update for today so things like the planned parenthood amendment still shows as "House Amendment Offered".

Rest can be read there if you want to see what failed voting or was withdrawn.

Spoilered for big spike of text.
    6. H.AMDT.16 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 2 printed in the Congresssional Record to reduce Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation, Navy by $ 225,000,000, reduce Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation, Air Force by $225,000,000 and increase Defense by $450,000,000.
    Sponsor: Rep Rooney, Thomas J. [FL-16] (introduced 2/15/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Rooney amendment (A006) Agreed to by recorded vote: 233 - 198, 1 Present (Roll no. 46).

13. H.AMDT.23 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 368 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce funds to the Department of Justice, General Administration, National Drug Intelligence Center by $34,023,000.
    Sponsor: Rep Flake, Jeff [AZ-6] (introduced 2/15/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Flake amendment (A013) Agreed to by recorded vote: 262 - 169 (Roll no. 51).

15. H.AMDT.25 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 12 printed in the Congressional Record to redirect $20 million in funding for the Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, State and Local Law Enforcement Assistance.
    Sponsor: Rep Holt, Rush D. [NJ-12] (introduced 2/15/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/15/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Holt amendment (A015) Agreed to by voice vote.

17. H.AMDT.27 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 125 printed in the Congressional Record to increase the Department of Justice, Community Oriented Policing Services by $298,000,000 and reducing the NASA by $298,000,000.
    Sponsor: Rep Weiner, Anthony D. [NY-9] (introduced 2/15/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Weiner amendment (A017) as modified Agreed to by recorded vote: 228 - 203 (Roll no. 53).

23. H.AMDT.33 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 297 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce funds used for the Klamath Dam Removal and Sedimentation Study being conducted by the Bureau of Reclamation and the Fish and Wildlife Service by $1.897 million and apply the amount to the deficit reduction account.
    Sponsor: Rep McClintock, Tom [CA-4] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the McClintock amendment (A023) Agreed to by voice vote.

28. H.AMDT.38 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 223 printed in the Congressional Record to increase funding for Firefighter Assistance Grants by $510 million offset by a reduction in funding for the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology R&D by the same amount.
    Sponsor: Rep Pascrell, Bill, Jr. [NJ-8] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Pascrell amendment (A028) Agreed to by recorded vote: 318 - 113 (Roll no. 60).

29. H.AMDT.39 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 30 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce funding for the "Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Management of Lands and Resources" by $2 million and apply the amount to the deficit reduction account.
    Sponsor: Rep Burton, Dan [IN-5] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Burton (IN) amendment (A029) Agreed to by voice vote.

37. H.AMDT.47 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 84 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce the Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Programs and Management account by $8,458,000.
    Sponsor: Rep Pompeo, Mike [KS-4] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Pompeo amendment (A037) Agreed to by recorded vote: 239 - 185 (Roll no. 64).

38. H.AMDT.48 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 379 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce by $10,000,000 the Environmental Protection Agency, State and Tribal Assistance Grants account.
    Sponsor: Rep Reed, Tom [NY-29] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/16/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Reed amendment (A038) Agreed to by recorded vote: 228 - 203 (Roll no. 65).

42. H.AMDT.52 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 196 in the Congressional Record to reduce funding forthe National Foundation on the Arts and the Humanities, National Endowment for the Arts, Grants and Administration and increases the spending reduction account.
    Sponsor: Rep Walberg, Tim [MI-7] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Walberg amendment (A042) Agreed to by recorded vote: 217 - 209 (Roll no. 68).

43. H.AMDT.53 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered numbered 249 printed in the congressional record to reduce the National Capital Arts and Cultural Affairs funding by $4,500,000.
    Sponsor: Rep Canseco, Francisco "Quico" [TX-23] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Canseco amendment (A043) Agreed to by recorded vote: 248 - 177 (Roll no. 69).

44. H.AMDT.54 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 381 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce Presidio Trust, Presido Trust Fund by $15,000,000.
    Sponsor: Rep Reed, Tom [NY-29] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Reed amendment (A044) Agreed to by recorded vote: 239 - 186 (Roll no. 70).

49. H.AMDT.59 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 276 printed in the Congressional Record to increase IDEA state grants to FY 2010 levels and reduce school improvement grants and teacher quality grants by necessary amounts to fully offset outlays.
    Sponsor: Rep McMorris Rodgers, Cathy [WA-5] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the McMorris Rodgers amendment (A049) Agreed to by recorded vote: 249 - 179 (Roll no. 73).

50. H.AMDT.60 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 532 printed in the Congressional Record to restore the education funding authority for Alaskan and Hawaiian Native Americans.
    Sponsor: Rep Young, Don [AK] (introduced 2/16/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Young (AK) amendment (A050) Agreed to by recorded vote: 313 - 117 (Roll no. 74).

58. H.AMDT.68 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 108 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce the account for greening of the Capitol by $1.5 million and to increase the reduction in legislative expenses by a similar amount.
    Sponsor: Rep Whitfield, Ed [KY-1] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Whitfield amendment (A058) Agreed to by voice vote.

59. H.AMDT.69 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 100 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce USIP by $42,676,000, and increases Spending Reduction Account.
    Sponsor: Rep Weiner, Anthony D. [NY-9] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Weiner amendment (A059) Agreed to by recorded vote: 268 - 163 (Roll no. 76).

60. H.AMDT.70 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 248 printed in the Congressional Record to eliminate the East-West Center, and increases Spending Reduction Account.
    Sponsor: Rep Canseco, Francisco "Quico" [TX-23] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Canseco amendment (A060) Agreed to by recorded vote: 274 - 155 (Roll no. 77).

61. H.AMDT.71 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 291 printed in the Congressional Record eliminate debt restructuring, and increases Spending Reduction Account.
    Sponsor: Rep McClintock, Tom [CA-4] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the McClintock amendment (A061) Agreed to by voice vote.

68. H.AMDT.78 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 208 printed in the Congressional Record to prohibit the use of funds used to carry out chapter 95 or chapter 96 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
    Sponsor: Rep Cole, Tom [OK-4] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Cole amendment (A068) Agreed to by recorded vote: 247 - 175 (Roll no. 81).

69. H.AMDT.79 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 514 printed in the Congressional Record to prohibit the use of funds to be used to enforce the requirements in - 1. section 34(a)(1)(A) of the Federal Fire Prevention and Control Act of 1974.
    Sponsor: Rep Price, David E. [NC-4] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Price (NC) amendment (A069) Agreed to by recorded vote: 267 - 159, 1 Present (Roll no. 82).

70. H.AMDT.80 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 404 printed in the Congressional Record to prohibit the use of funds used to implement the Report and Order of the Federal Communications Commission relating to the matter of preserving the open Internet and broadband industry practices (FCC 10-201, adopted by the Commission on December 21, 2010.
    Sponsor: Rep Walden, Greg [OR-2] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Walden amendment (A070) Agreed to by recorded vote: 244 - 181 (Roll no. 83).

71. H.AMDT.81 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 334 printed in the Congressional Record to prohibit the use of funds to be used to provide grants under the Urban Area Security Initiative under section 2003 of the Homeland Security Act of 2002 (6 U.S.C. 604).
    Sponsor: Rep Lowey, Nita M. [NY-18] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Lowey amendment (A071) Agreed to by voice vote.

75. H.AMDT.85 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 195 printed in the Congressional Record to prohibit funds to be used for the payment of fees and other expenses under section 504 of title 5, United States Code, or section 2412(d) of title 28, United States Code.
    Sponsor: Rep Lummis, Cynthia M. [WY] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Lummis amendment (A075) Agreed to by recorded vote: 232 - 197 (Roll no. 85).

77. H.AMDT.87 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 211 printed in the Congressional Record to reduce the amount made available to the "Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Justice Assistance" for carrying out title I of the PROTECT Our Children Act of 2008 by $30,000,000.
    Sponsor: Rep Wasserman Schultz, Debbie [FL-20] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Wasserman Schultz amendment (A077) Agreed to by voice vote.

78. H.AMDT.88 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 165 printed in the Congressional Record to prohibit the use of funds to be used to implement, administer, or enforce the rule entitled "National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants From the Portland Cement Manufacturing Industry and Standards of Performance for Portland Cement Plants" published by the Environmental Protection Agency on September 9, 2010.
    Sponsor: Rep Carter, John R. [TX-31] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Carter amendment (A078) Agreed to by recorded vote: 250 - 177 (Roll no. 86).

79. H.AMDT.89 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 204 printed in the Congressional Record to prohibit the use of funds to be used to pay the salaries and expenses for specified federal agency positions and their offices.
    Sponsor: Rep Scalise, Steve [LA-1] (introduced 2/17/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/17/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Scalise amendment (A079) Agreed to by recorded vote: 249 - 179, 1 Present (Roll no. 87).

89. H.AMDT.99 to H.R.1 An amendment numbered 23 printed in the Congressional Record to eliminate reductions in funds for NIH, CDC and HRSA.
    Sponsor: Rep Hastings, Alcee L. [FL-23] (introduced 2/18/2011) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/18/2011 House amendment agreed to. Status: On agreeing to the Hastings (FL) amendment (A089) Agreed to by voice vote.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I anxiously await these deep cuts the tea party is proposing that will cut our deficit by a whopping 6%.

How bold.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KevinNash wrote: »
    I anxiously await these deep cuts the tea party is proposing that will cut our deficit by a whopping 6%.

How bold.

Turns out governing is easier from the side lines.

I mean look at libertarians.....

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is this going to turn into a habit once every time a Dem is in the Presidency, or is twice too little information? :P

On a more serious note: it's hard to be essentially the minority party, make a ton of hard line demands, shut down the government over it, and come out looking like the rational party. The control one of the three pieces of the budget process. That does not mean they get to hard line demand everything they want and nothing else.

Anywho, I AM amused that if that budget passed, the unemployment numbers would skyrocket.

kildy on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KevinNash wrote: »

How bold.

Turns out governing is easier from the side lines.

I mean look at libertarians.....

No one said it was easy. I'm well aware our country is going to sink into fiery holocaust funding our bread and circuses. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

KevinNash on
This discussion has been closed.