As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The King Of Limbs

Karl HungusKarl Hungus Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm loving me some new Radiohead sir! It's a bit mellower than I had hoped for but that's ok. It's great chilling music. The stand out tracks in my opinion are "Little by Little" "Lotus Flower" and "Codex". What do you guys think so far?

Karl Hungus on

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm loving it. I love not knowing what to expect going in.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love it as well. Need to listen to it a few more times though.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With one listen so far, my favorite is "Lotus Flower". Going to need a few more listens to really grasp it.

I was quite happy to learn that they moved up the release by a day.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Radiohead is unlike most bands in the way that they get better with age as opposed to worse. I'm going to listen to this album and this album only for at least a month.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another classic: one that marries the taut electronica of Pablo Honey with the anthemic Britpop belters of Kid A and the complex prog of The Bends. A radical reinvention that fuses timeless langour with post-modern darkness over towering ziggurat electronica. It is a quantum leap; in the sense that it transplants you inside the body of a West Virginia stripper in 1967 who has to solve her brother’s murder with the help of a computer called Ziggy.

King of Limbs is pretty boss.

animale on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    animale wrote: »
    Another classic: one that marries the taut electronica of Pablo Honey with the anthemic Britpop belters of Kid A and the complex prog of The Bends. A radical reinvention that fuses timeless langour with post-modern darkness over towering ziggurat electronica. It is a quantum leap; in the sense that it transplants you inside the body of a West Virginia stripper in 1967 who has to solve her brother’s murder with the help of a computer called Ziggy.

King of Limbs is pretty boss.

I couldn't have said it better =D

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Still taking the album in. Liking it so far.

Here's something to pass the time untill it reaches your ears: http://www.viceland.com/music/2011/02/new-radiohead-album-the-first-review/

DubiousAtBest on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've purchased every single limited edition Radiohead album since Kid A.

This will be the first one that I cannot afford due to money constraints.

This makes me a sad panda.

I have purchased this album online and will buy the physical copy when it's out in stores.

I loves me some Radiohead.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I have purchased this album online and will buy the physical copy when it's out in stores.

What is your favorite album and song sir?

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not as blown away as In Rainbows, but this seems like an album that will take a few listens before I place it into the hierarchy of Radiohead albums.

Reminds me a lot of Eraser.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

/same

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    BluntlyBluntly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not as blown away as In Rainbows, but this seems like an album that will take a few listens before I place it into the hierarchy of Radiohead albums.

Yeah, "this is kinda like Eraser" is my first impression as well. And I didn't really enjoy Eraser all that much.

Bluntly on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I missed this band. The whole album's up on Youtube already. Definitely gonna buy a physical copy eventually but for right now this is nice.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

i felt the same way about Amnesiac when i first listened to it but now i think its brilliant.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Two listens in. I'm liking it. But its probably not replacing In Rainbows as my favorite, nor has it really grabbed me as much on the first listen.

@ Uselesswarrior. I'm also getting the Eraser feel.

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    After four listens, I'm starting to really properly love it.
    There's some great stuff there.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What is your favorite album and song sir?

It changes. I still think that OK Computer is my favorite album, but right now A Wolf at the Door is my favorite song.

For a good long time Idioteque was my fav song, if only because of how much better it sounds live than on the album.

I'm really hoping that by the time my wife gets back to work proper the Newspaper album will still be available, because I would love to get it.

EDIT: I'm also hoping that they will come to Vancouver on their next tour and I will have the money to see them again. I've seen Tool, who put on an excellent stage show, and still Radiohead is the best band I've seen live. They really know how to work a crowd.

And Thom is just so much damn fun to watch.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Absolutely love Lotus Flower, haven't quite fallen for anything else yet but that is probably going to change

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Feral is becoming a favourite of mine.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cuttooth is one of my favorite Radiohead songs, one of the ones that I never skip past, always linger on.

It's worth so much more than a B side.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cuttooth is one of my favorite Radiohead songs, one of the ones that I never skip past, always linger on.

Ive never listened to cuttooth. Im going to youtube it right now!

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Great song, but it sounds more like it belongs on The Bends than Amnesiac.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll echo the complaint that it feels short. At 8 tracks and 37 minutes, it's easily their shortest work. But it's dense, and lush, it feels like there is a lot going on. It definitely seems like the sort of the album that slowly sinks in and grows on you. I liked In Rainbows, but it definitely felt like a collection of songs and it was easily their most accessible album since The Bends. I kind of like that this is weirder and more atmospheric, and it feels like more of a cohesive vision. Just wish there was a bit more, I guess.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    msh1283msh1283 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've given it about a dozen listens so far. And I'm almost entirely bored by it. Which makes me sad.

msh1283 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm hearing a lot of Burial, James Blake, Flying Lotus, and Teebs infuence. Which is cool and all, but those guys kind of have that sound on lock. Come on Radiohead, just be yourselves!

PS Not saying I don't like the album

Edit: Some links for comparison:

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i've heard a lot of people say Burial and Flying Lotus right now, and I kind of disagreed at first but I'm beginning to hear it a little bit more

i think it's awesome though. it definitely still sounds like Radiohead to me. Bloom and Feral are probably the most immediately beat-influenced songs on there, but they both definitely sound like they came from the band that made Kid A

Snork on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    also god DAMNIT that teebs album is so fucking good.

Snork on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bloom is fucking awesome.

EVOL on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    EVOL wrote: »
    Bloom is fucking awesome.

I'm loving Give Up the Ghost right now!

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    bloom is where it is at. morning mr magpie is also really great

Snork on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Snork wrote: »
    bloom is where it is at. morning mr magpie is also really great

Little By Little gives me a boner irl

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Heres an old version of Mr Magpie, played way back in 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7cdVmruJnw

EVOL on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i feel like thom did a much better job with a lot of the vocal parts on this album, too. i think the guitar did more singing and melodic heavy-lifting than he did on in rainbows (with the exception of stuff like nude)

Snork on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    EVOL wrote: »
    Heres an old version of Mr Magpie, played way back in 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7cdVmruJnw

Thanks for posting this. I like the album version better but it's nice to hear it in it's original form.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It seems like the people who don't like this album dont like it because it doesn't sound like In Rainbows. Well boo fucking whoo! Why would you want a band to keep making the same album over and over, that would be some redundant mundane shit. None of radioheads albums are the same as their previous ones, and why should they be! They are artists, you don't see painters painting the same portrait over and over or sculpters sculpting the same sculpter in some sort of deranged loop. I may not like every song they put out but I'll be damned if they don't put everything they are into every single one.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well this new one's been compared to a lot of their earlier stuff, so it not being like their last album doesn't mean it isn't like one of their others. I think most criticism falls on the length of the album and the fact that while it stands strong as an album, its songs don't stand as well on their own. Which is the only way in which this album's really been compared to In Rainbows.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Only 5 songs in and so far the album has been fantastic. I'm not big on comparing music to other music, even if it's by the same band. Just know I like this so far.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do you guys think it's going to be a double album? 8 tracks seem sort of small for a five year gap in between albums.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do you guys think it's going to be a double album? 8 tracks seem sort of small for a five year gap in between albums.

In Rainbows came out in October 2007, so it's only been a little over 3 years.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Morning Mr Magpie is my current favorite.

MikeMan on