As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Website Hosting Suggestions

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey!

Two questions: 1. Who to host with and: Can we do this with a site builder or should we get it coded by a pro?

We've had a website designed for us in Adobe Illustrator, and now that we like how everything looks it's time to code it. I'm not that savy with coding, but I believe our site is so simple that a hosting website that has one of those website builder things could work well enough. Here's all we need to be able to do:
  • Background image fitted to any resolution: no scroll bars
  • Text that is formatted so that it is on the same place on the background image for any resolution
  • Icons/images that are links and change to a different image on mouseover

And that's basically it, it's just a one page site that directs you to our facebook/twitter/myspace etc. Is this something that would take someone that codes like 10 minutes since we have all the image files and a pdf of the completed look, or should we try this ourselves with one of those site builders. I HATE templates, if I were to use a site builder it would have to allow to start from scratch with coding allowed.

Cool, thanks! Can't wait to hear your suggestions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure what HTML5 looks like, but from my limited experience with HTML, a webpage that looks the same at any resolution is a pretty tall oder to fill. It might have to be an all-flash site.

Unfortunately I can't help with who to use as a host. If this sort of thing cannot be done in normal HTML (HTML5 isn't widely supported by most users), then you would be looking at some kind of scripting language like PHP or you'd have to use a plugin like Flash. All in all, it's not impossible, just gotta find the right technology to use. Hopefully someone has some more helpful input in that regard.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I use Wordpress hosted by Host Gator, they have always done good by me :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Locust76 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what HTML5 looks like, but from my limited experience with HTML, a webpage that looks the same at any resolution is a pretty tall oder to fill. It might have to be an all-flash site.

Unfortunately I can't help with who to use as a host. If this sort of thing cannot be done in normal HTML (HTML5 isn't widely supported by most users), then you would be looking at some kind of scripting language like PHP or you'd have to use a plugin like Flash. All in all, it's not impossible, just gotta find the right technology to use. Hopefully someone has some more helpful input in that regard.

Jesus, no.

Javascript is your friend.
    What OP wants can be done with regular HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

What resolutions are your images you plan on using?
    Can you make and upload an image of the desired look so we can see how simple or complex it might be?

BoomShake on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm still pretty new to Javascript, but from the sounds of it, it's something you could manage to do yourself, but it might take you a while to figure it out. The part I would get frustrated with is having the background that looks the same on any resolution and text that is on the same place on the background on any resolution. Frustrating because you might need to account for different aspect ratios or window sizes.

Kinda difficult to say how hard it'll be to do what you want without actually seeing what you have in mind though.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This can all be done actually with a little bit of javascript, and some CSS trickery regarding images.

1) Static background image sized according to the user's window height / width
    2) "Text" images (your text is the image) placed with javascript math in the right places based on user's window height / width, and then stretched via javascript math to look right (either by very large resolution images or a hierarchy of sized images)
    3) events attached to those text images to make them links / rollovers

While not exactly easy, it probably wont be a days worth of work for a web guy. However, if it is some kind of very complicated design, then obviously it will take longer.

Of course, the next problem is really how much of an effort you want to deal with. If the user resizes their browser window to 300x200, your website isnt going to fit in that small of a space probably. What you should do is specify a maximum and minimum resolution to support and let your designer do work from there.

Then you'll need a round of testing on both your min and max resolutions, as well as many common resolutions in both normal and widescreen configurations.

Tejs on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, we approached a website design company today, they got back to us with a quote saying it would about 18 hours of work, 10 of which is coding, 4 for project management and a couple for testing. So it sounds like it really is as simple as I think it is, but they charge 110 bucks an hour so it still came to close to 2 grand, which is waaay more than we want to pay.

Their client list is pretty impressive, so they're obviously really over qualified for a site this simple, is it unreasonable to think we can find someone to do this for under 500 bucks?

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NiltNilt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The problem with most "web developers" in my experience (20 years in IT now, the past decade as a self employed tech consultant) is that they don't like these little jobs. The issue is you guys have a very specific design in mind so they have little flexibility. If they have little flexibility, it's unlikely they can reuse something they've done before. It's a ridiculous thing but many folks only want to go after the big invoices so they basically throw away these jobs. I wish to God I could find a guy who wanted to work with little projects; big ones are easy to fill but little ones aren't so much.

You may be able to find a student on craigslist but you get what you pay for there, oftentimes. I usually end up doing some crappy code for folks myself in these cases. I'm not a pro but it isn't all that hard if it's pretty basic. Without seeing your design, of course, I don't know how hard it is or isn't so I could be talking out of my ear here.

Oh, as for webhosts: I really like IXWebhosting.com myself.

Nilt on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, we approached a website design company today, they got back to us with a quote saying it would about 18 hours of work, 10 of which is coding, 4 for project management and a couple for testing. So it sounds like it really is as simple as I think it is, but they charge 110 bucks an hour so it still came to close to 2 grand, which is waaay more than we want to pay.

Their client list is pretty impressive, so they're obviously really over qualified for a site this simple, is it unreasonable to think we can find someone to do this for under 500 bucks?

It's going to take anyone that 18 hours to do the site. You could maybe get it done a bit less but really that is such a low number for effort that ANY site is going to come in close to that at a minimum.

At the rate they charge, you're wanting to pay for 4 hours of effort, which is simply not enough.

At $500, the only way you'd get that kind of rate is looking at a student or someone who isn't doing webpages as their primary income, since you can't live off the rate you're wanting to pay. :P

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And professionals who might normally do that much work for that budget won't find a $500 contract worth negotiating.

admanb on
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Making a landing page isn't very difficult, you can cheaply hack one together by yourself and host it for a pittance a month, or you can professionally design it and have it robustly hosted for hundreds a month. The question is, what is the purpose of this site and what is your scope?

Are you a band/sports team/notable people(s) and want a web presence so Google will funnel people to your social media? Are you starting a business/service and this is a placeholder to build awareness while you prepare a full site?

Apparently you have a budget, so I have to ask what for. What are you trying to achieve with your site?

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are entire communities where clients like you can find web designers. My fiance is a professional freelancer, and he uses Elance occasionally to pick up extra work, or to farm out minor components of his real projects.

The basic process goes something like this:
    1. A client has a project they want done - it could be a Wordpress theme, or a complete new website, or a logo design. They post information about their project on Elance, including a detailed description of what they want, any applicable deadlines, and their project budget. Clients can choose whether to have open or sealed bidding on their projects, but sealed is usually preferable.
    2. Freelancers and web design firms - Elance calls them "providers" - browse the project postings on Elance. If they see one that appeals to them, they submit a proposal, where they talk about their qualifications, offer information about how they intend to approach the client's problem, give an estimate of how long it will take them, and specify how much they'll charge.
    3. The client reads over all of the proposals he receives, and chooses one provider to award the project to. A contract is signed, payment is put into escrow with Elance, the provider gets to work, and once certain predefined milestones are reached, the payment is transferred to the provider.
    The great thing about Elance is that it lets you shop out your project - big or small - to an international marketplace of providers ranging from major web design firms in Argentina to that college kid down the street. The problem with Elance is that you get what you pay for; the college kid might be thrilled to make you a website for $100, but the college kid might have no concept of little details like making sure that website actually works on different browsers.

The other, bigger problem with Elance, though, is that you only get what you ask for. Clear communication from both clients and providers is absolutely crucial. Like, take a look at this posting.
    dental custom website i need a website for my dental office i need an elaborate website for my dental office

He has no idea what he wants. He says he needs an "elaborate" website, but doesn't say what that actually means. Does he just want it to look pretty and complicated? Does he want lots of bells and whistles like RSS feeds and Facebook integration and built-in Flash games? What's the purpose of his website?

Compare that to this proposal. The client there has a very clear idea of what he wants, he knows what the site will be used for, he knows his target demographic, he even has a specific colour scheme in mind.

It sounds like you know what you want; you just need to make sure you communicate that in your project description, because most of the good providers on Elance won't even bother submitting proposals on poorly-described projects - they know projects like that end up being nightmares. Similarly, you need to be very careful in your examination of proposals: if a provider submits a five-page form letter describing how awesome they are two minutes after you posted your project, they obviously didn't even bother reading the damned thing, so what assurance do you have that they're going to pay any attention to your feedback or requests? If that Indian firm submits a dirt-cheap proposal in horribly broken English, are you going to be able to communicate effectively with them? The cheapest proposal is very rarely the best one; you're generally much better off paying an extra hundred bucks to a provider whose bid is clear, articulate, and obviously tailored for your specific project.

As far as hosting goes, Pixels says "MediaTemple should be fine, until his website is big enough that he understands why MediaTemple isn't fine."

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As far as hosting goes: I use nearlyfreespeech.net and it's pretty reasonable - $5 a month or so.

However, they have a pricing structure that's very different from most other providers, so take a look at their policies before you sign up.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

To do it for under 500 bucks? Sure.
    Your best bet would be to craigslist it and put it up at local Universities with CS and IT departments. They'll have an interest in doing a good job so they can use it for their portfolios.

Fair warning though, there is an increasingly large danger of getting a crappy product at that price range. In an effort to save money, you may waste even the 500 dollars. Remember that sometimes you get what you pay for.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For $500 you'll get at best a prototype. Something that was built to work in a single browser and is not standards compliant nor tuned for performance. Also don't expect any sort of SEO at that price point.

Any web developer worth the money isn't going to even consider a job under $2000. It just isn't worth the effort.

JacksWastedLife on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's a one page site with text and a background image and no content management whatsoever. If it wasn't for the fact that we want the site to scale to whatever resolution/browser you're using, I could do this myself. There's no way it's a 2000 dollar job.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You already have the images and design etc right? If so, I can take a crack at it. Let me see what you want to do, and I can estimate how long it would take for me to do it. Give me some contact info or something, and we can talk (I don't think these forums have PMs or anything).

Tejs on