As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Really need life advice

zktzkt Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I graduated with my 4 year degree two years ago and finally got my first job a few months ago. Im doing really boring repetitive dataentry work and cant stand it, especially since it wasn't the job I applied to (long story short I was offered a position this time last year at this organization that would start later that year and required training. when the time came they weren't able to hire me and offered me this job instead so i took it). Im still being told the original job will start hiring more in a few weeks but Im not sure I even want it. My current job or the original job have nothing to do with my degree or what I'd like to do for a living. My major was computer networking and I really didn't like it (another long story short, i started in HS, finished early and much less tuition) so would like to get my masters in another field, but would first like the experience of living on my own. My current job pays too low to afford to live anywhere decent on my own. Also because of my disability i can't drive which has impacted my jobsearch, as well as where I could relocate to (i need reliable public transit). I have a thousand and a half saved up so could relocate (and would love to).

zkt on

• FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So your primary issue is still having to live at home?

Where do you live now? Reliable public transit is scarce but existent (in the US I'm assuming), you'd probably have to move to New York or Chicago or something.

Establish a list of cities that you would feel comfortable living in, hunt through job listings in those areas, and apply, apply, apply.

If you want to work rather than go back to school for now, then you'd probably have to suck it up and stick to jobs in IT, or maybe retail / waiting tables.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My best piece of professional advice is: use carriage returns. Did you stay at home
    In college??

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • zktzkt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So your primary issue is still having to live at home?

Where do you live now? Reliable public transit is scarce but existent (in the US I'm assuming), you'd probably have to move to New York or Chicago or something.

Establish a list of cities that you would feel comfortable living in, hunt through job listings in those areas, and apply, apply, apply.

If you want to work rather than go back to school for now, then you'd probably have to suck it up and stick to jobs in IT, or maybe retail / waiting tables.

Yea, my primary issue is still living at home. Im in chicago and I really dislike living here for a variety of reasons, and have no friends or family keeping me here. Ive been pretty much unable to find jobs in IT it seems. I was sending out upwards of 50 resumes a week at one point, for IT, Admin assistant, and everything in between. For now I'd rather find a decent job and go to grad school in the next few years.

zkt on
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you got your 4-year degree and are looking to get away from home, I would look into teaching English in China. You get paid more than enough there (in Chinese standards. You also typically get a free apartment), the job is easy (at least at the University level, where I am) and you get a ton of traveling and real-life experience that will make you that much more competitive when you return to the US to go to grad school.

Its basically what I'm doing. Living in China is...well, its kind of rough sometimes, but its definitely a great experience.

An-D on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    $1500 isn't enough to relocate

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

You're going to want at least 5 to 6 months worth of living expenses saved up before you move without a job somewhere.

Esh on
  • BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    An-D wrote: »
    If you got your 4-year degree and are looking to get away from home, I would look into teaching English in China. You get paid more than enough there (in Chinese standards. You also typically get a free apartment), the job is easy (at least at the University level, where I am) and you get a ton of traveling and real-life experience that will make you that much more competitive when you return to the US to go to grad school.

Its basically what I'm doing. Living in China is...well, its kind of rough sometimes, but its definitely a great experience.

I agree with this man.

As a young man trying to find work in Canada and live a decent life in Vancouver I was having a very hard time finding a good job, affordable place to stay, and not be scrounging for change to pay my internet bill.

China however, due to the relatively puny cost of living and good wages even at entry level English teaching makes life very easy. Not a problem at all to do some regular English gigs and save up some solid cash.

Bloodfart on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

This. So very very much this.

Remember that most apartments will want you to pay first and last month's rent and a security deposit upfront. You're probably looking at over $1500 right there.

Some advice, without knowing much about your specific situation:
    1. Start saving. If your goal is truly to get another Master's, relocate and change careers, you need money. Cut back on everything you can. Eliminate nonessentials (or at least severely restrict). Things like cable, eating out, Internet if you can so without it. You'll get to know your librarian very well.

2. Talk to the college where you got your degree. Ask about job placement services, internships, things like that. Also see if there's someone there who can work with you on your resume.

3. Do you have good credit? Check your credit report, for both your score and to see if there's anything outstanding. If you are currently behind on any debts, talk to the creditor immediately and try to work something out. Poor credit makes it harder and more expensive to get an apartment.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A lot of graduate schools offer TA'ships that will waive tuition and give you enough money to pay off rent each month. You may need to dip into student loans depending on your own financial needs, but if you can't find a job you are satisfied with, a TA'ship in a master's program may be a satisfactory alternative for the time being.

I was working a crappy job (jeweler's apprentice) after my undergrad and had nothing to do with my major (English). It was pretty horrible but I decided to apply to grad schools and stick it out. Luckily, I got into a grad program that offere'd me the TA'ship and came out broke instead of in debt. Now I'm doing something with my degree that doesn't want to make me hang myself everytime I wake up. However, it took me 4 years after applying to grad school to get to this point. It won't happen overnight.

Lilnoobs on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't want to sound insensitive, but what's the scope of your disability? Would you be able to live alone? Could you walk to work rather than use transit?

Chicago's a big place, and even if you don't like the people you're around now, it isn't that hard to start a new life in the same city.

Don't stop applying to jobs, even if you've already sent out hundreds of resumes, the market is just that competitive.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • zktzkt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the advice so far everyone. First off, I know 1500 is not enough to relocate with, I thought I'd just state it anyway, its how much money ive saved since I started working a few months ago. I don't think financing grad school would be too big of an issue. Im making regular payments on my loans now (i think i have $10000 left) and have good credit. My disability pretty much prevents me from driving, I have no problem walking to answer First ComradeStalins question. Starting a new life in this city is something I could do, but its the things I cant change here that I want to move away from (weather, crime, insane taxes).

How is teaching English in China? I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but Im a bit ignorant on how things are over there in terms of quality of life. I should probably PM you An-D go get more details. I'd really like to teach English in Seoul or Tokyo as Ive had classmates who have lived there for months at a time.

zkt on
    edited February 2011
    I'll post what I sent you, in case other people are interested/have stuff to add:

zkt wrote:
    Hey, I just wanted to get some more info on teaching english over in china. Is this through a program or organization and do they have a website? Where specifically in china is it, and do you like it? Is not knowing chineese an issue? And would you happen to know of any other ways to do this in other countries?

There are two ways to get into it. One, you can simply google 'Teach English in China' and search for an agency that'll set you up there (what I did). You often have to pay a fair amount of money, but they handle your Visa, contract with the school, airplane tickets and are always there to support you if an issue comes up. I used Journey East ( http://journeyeast.org/ ). Be careful if you try to find your own agency. Cheaper ones are very likely scams.

If you rather do it on your own, another way to find a school (and much cheaper) is to find a city you want to teach in (bigger cities = much more competition) and find the expat community online (they typically have a forum or something) and simply ask if there are openings. Schools often have standard contracts for new teachers, where you get an apartment, standard pay (probably somewhere around 5000 yuan a month, which is a lot more than most other teachers get), vacation time and fairly often, plane tickets in and out of China. This is more difficult, but much cheaper.

I teach in Changchun, China at a university (but they take teachers pretty much everywhere). The only qualification you need really is the ability to speak really good English and not looking at all Asian really helps. The job itself has good and bad days - mostly depending on how reception my students are being. Even at its worst, its a really easy job and I only work maybe 15-20 hours a week (including making lesson plans), so I have plenty of free time to do whatever I want. I just got 3 months off paid vacation.

Knowing Chinese really isn't that much of an issue. In the classroom, they really only want you speaking English (immersion) and outside people are friendly enough and will try to help you. Get use to pointing a lot and ordering food that you aren't 100% on. You'll be pretty amazed at how much Chinese you learn within the first few weeks. Its not that much of an issue, I think, but the more you learn, the better your life will be.

I'm not sure how to get into other countries besides China, but I imagine its a similar system. I know getting a job in Korea really isn't that difficult, but Japan is insanely competitive.

An-D on
  • BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll post what I sent you, in case other people are interested/have stuff to add:

zkt wrote:
    Hey, I just wanted to get some more info on teaching english over in china. Is this through a program or organization and do they have a website? Where specifically in china is it, and do you like it? Is not knowing chineese an issue? And would you happen to know of any other ways to do this in other countries?

There are two ways to get into it. One, you can simply google 'Teach English in China' and search for an agency that'll set you up there (what I did). You often have to pay a fair amount of money, but they handle your Visa, contract with the school, airplane tickets and are always there to support you if an issue comes up. I used Journey East ( http://journeyeast.org/ ). Be careful if you try to find your own agency. Cheaper ones are very likely scams.

If you rather do it on your own, another way to find a school (and much cheaper) is to find a city you want to teach in (bigger cities = much more competition) and find the expat community online (they typically have a forum or something) and simply ask if there are openings. Schools often have standard contracts for new teachers, where you get an apartment, standard pay (probably somewhere around 5000 yuan a month, which is a lot more than most other teachers get), vacation time and fairly often, plane tickets in and out of China. This is more difficult, but much cheaper.

I teach in Changchun, China at a university (but they take teachers pretty much everywhere). The only qualification you need really is the ability to speak really good English and not looking at all Asian really helps. The job itself has good and bad days - mostly depending on how reception my students are being. Even at its worst, its a really easy job and I only work maybe 15-20 hours a week (including making lesson plans), so I have plenty of free time to do whatever I want. I just got 3 months off paid vacation.

Knowing Chinese really isn't that much of an issue. In the classroom, they really only want you speaking English (immersion) and outside people are friendly enough and will try to help you. Get use to pointing a lot and ordering food that you aren't 100% on. You'll be pretty amazed at how much Chinese you learn within the first few weeks. Its not that much of an issue, I think, but the more you learn, the better your life will be.

I'm not sure how to get into other countries besides China, but I imagine its a similar system. I know getting a job in Korea really isn't that difficult, but Japan is insanely competitive.

Woah woah. 5000rmb a month? thats below minimum wage for westerners. Why would you want to make below min in a foreign country? Any school can pay much more than that. If they say they can't they're lying. English schools make bank here. Especially kindergartens make obscene profits.

You can easily get a job paying much more. Especially if you are ok with running a schedule of a few part-time classes or tutoring.

I came over to China with about $1500 CDN in my pocket but a school waiting to hire me at 9000rmb a month with a pay increase of 1,000 every 3 months to a total of 12,000, but not including an apartment rental or visa paid for.

Both the apartment rentals and visas you can do cheaper yourself so fuck having a school do it for you. They will also likely get you a bad apartment with terribad furniture and not in a location good for a foreigner.

What you want to do is live with foreign room-mates in a cool part of town with plenty to eat, places to hang out, and easily accessible transportation. Sharing the cost of a big, well furnished apartment (and 99% of chinese apartments come furnished), with people that you can communicate with and will help show you the ropes is invaluable.

I live in Beijing and as far as i can tell there's no shortage of work for foreign english speakers. Common side jobs include tutoring, voice recording, and paper editing.

Bloodfart on
    edited February 2011
    I was told that 5000rmb is pretty standard for someone straight out of college without a TEFL certificate. I'm pretty okay with it. 5000rmb is plenty for living in Changchun. I have 2000-3000 leftover at the end of every month, and thats with eating out every day and partying every weekend.

I love Beijing, man, but it gets pricey.

I blow most of my savings travelling though, so I guess I kind of break even. I should probably start saving before I head back Stateside.

An-D on
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Unless I read incorrectly I'm still amazed at the fact that you don't need some sort of degree.

*Welp, nevermind. I guess I did lol I'm a dumb dumb

BradicusMaximus on
    edited February 2011
    Unless I read incorrectly I'm still amazed at the fact that you don't need some sort of degree.

In all honesty, you don't. I know a woman here that had the college she works for give her a degree (in economics) so she could legally teach for them. China is a funny place.

An-D on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While I was mulling over the possibility of going to Korean for the whole English teaching thing, I found that reading blogs from people who had been there was very helpful. It gave me a lot of info on the actual lifestyle there so you have a better idea of what to expect. Stupidly I deleted all the bookmarks for those blogs recently but you shouldn't have too much trouble pulling them up with keywords.

Underdog on
    edited February 2011

In all honesty, you don't. I know a woman here that had the college she works for give her a degree (in economics) so she could legally teach for them. China is a funny place.

Wow, thats amazing to say the least. I don't think I could ever see myself being a teacher, although the prospect of teaching someone a language who is COMPLETELY new to it does sound like a satisfying experience. The whole immersion in a foreign country part is really what catches my attention.

BradicusMaximus on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Wow, thats amazing to say the least. I don't think I could ever see myself being a teacher, although the prospect of teaching someone a language who is COMPLETELY new to it does sound like a satisfying experience. The whole immersion in a foreign country part is really what catches my attention.

I've followed An-D's posts before and I'm always intrigued. Man. It's like reading about a really good meal. You just get hungry.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

I've followed An-D's posts before and I'm always intrigued. Man. It's like reading about a really good meal. You just get hungry.

Yup. Thats pretty much the feeling I get lol.

BradicusMaximus on