As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Penny Arcade Expo International Food Exchange - PAX East 2011

• Options
    TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was actually just reading that thread. I love the idea of swapping snacks, but I also like helping people... I'm torn. Maybe I'll do both.

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I secured 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies.

2x Lemon Chalet Cremes
    2x Do-si-dos
    2x Trefoils

Each box has 2 sleeves so 12 people will get some.

jrMfm.jpg

Rdr on
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just realized how amazing it would be to be a girl scout ~selling~ cookies at pax. Can you imagine how many boxes she would sell? Enough to take her troupe to Disney World or something. lol.

cynthetic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    cynthetic wrote: »
    I just realized how amazing it would be to be a girl scout ~selling~ cookies at pax. Can you imagine how many boxes she would sell? Enough to take her troupe to Disney World or something. lol.

I can't think of another form of solicitation that is universally acceptable in the US. These cookies sell themselves. Thin Mints are definitely the #1 cookie. They have to sell 5:1.

Rdr on
  • Options
    LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Unless anyone has any specific requests, I think I'll just bring a variety of snack-sized bars to distribute. I'll use them to get my bags upto the 23kg limit, and handing them all out will give me space to take all my swag home! Genius!

Oh, and I'll definately be bringing some chocolate Hob-nobs! How does plain chocolate go down in the States?
    chocolate-hobnobs.jpg

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    The Smartest Man?The Smartest Man? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only treats that I can think that would be unique from my area would be pralines, jellies, like pepper and mayhaw, and Zapps potato chips. It's usually hard to find quality candied pecans that don't taste stale =(. There might be some other snacks around the southeast, but I just can't think of them atm.

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    o man, there is this great marshmallow thing my friend in worcester sent me once - i feel like it was called whoomp or woomps or something. it's like a candy bar made of marshmallow strands. that is the best i can explain it, but it was DELICIOUS. anyone looking to bring unique things from the UK might consider bringing those.

Do you perhaps mean Flumps? They do indeed rock, and weigh next to nothing too!

So far as requests from the UK go, so far I've seen:

emf715 - Flakes

MTSonic11 - Pot Noodle - you got any particular flavour in mind? I reckon I can squeeze a couple in as they don't weigh much. And Double Deckers and Drifters are two of my favourite sweets too, you have impeccable taste!

kitty_on_acid - Jelly Babies

Landerolin on
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    UK PAXers:

If any of you can bring a ton of these I will love you forever
    jelly_babies_bag.jpg

It may seems silly, but I have never found anything equally as tasty and simple (ingredients) in the US. I got addicted to them when I went to Ireland, and should have bought a ton home with me.

I will pay in USD, or trade for anything specific you want from NJ (Salt Water Taffy and Pork Roll are our most prized food exports)

I'll pay for up to $25 USD, which seems to be about 18 euro or 15 pounds.

EDIT: Awesome kitties_on_acid! Glad I'm not the only one

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    UK PAXers:

EDIT: Awesome kitties_on_acid! Glad I'm not the only one

Gotta represent for Gallifrey, ya know. ;-)

kitties_on_acid on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    cynthetic wrote: »

I can't think of another form of solicitation that is universally acceptable in the US. These cookies sell themselves. Thin Mints are definitely the #1 cookie. They have to sell 5:1.

Funny you should say that. I got ambushed at the grocery store yesterday. First words out of my mouth "how many boxes of thin mints do you have?"

I walked out of there with four boxes of thin mints and no more money in my pocket.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Landerolin wrote: »
    MTSonic11 - Pot Noodle - you got any particular flavour in mind? I reckon I can squeeze a couple in as they don't weigh much. And Double Deckers and Drifters are two of my favourite sweets too, you have impeccable taste!

Chicken & Mushroom or Beef & Tomato were my two faves. I know they don't weight much, but they're so chunky and take up valuable space, so I greatly appreciate anything. Thanks for the taste compliment :wink: Those two in particular are really different than anything we have over in the states, so I always miss them.

Is there anything you're craving from the states that I can bring for you? You'll obviously be here, but who knows how far you'll want to wander from PAX. I'm still trying to think of neat things to bring, but if nothing else, I have no problem paying cash for it (and your trouble).

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Funny you should say that. I got ambushed at the grocery store yesterday. First words out of my mouth "how many boxes of thin mints do you have?"

I walked out of there with four boxes of thin mints and no more money in my pocket.

I bought some at work and thought I was good.

Had to go to Wal-Mart and return something and had $21 and change. Go out the front door and there's about 15 people surrounding a table and it was just chaos. Boxes of cookies flying everywhere.

I got up there to get some and my first question since I didn't see any Thin Mints on the table was, "Do you have any Thin Mints?" then just picked random ones. Funny that it cost me $21 so I walked away with some change. :(

Rdr on
  • Options
    Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm willing to pick up any kind of candy bar from Canada and bring it down (I'm driving so I have room). I'm going to the pre-pax dinner so I can give them out there if anyone else is going! Let me know what you want!

Kiki_lou on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Aero Caramel is a variant I'm not familiar with, but it looks nice:
    CIMG3249.jpg

I can grab some if anyone wants.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    kropotkin wrote: »
    CIMG3249.jpg

Yes please. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rdr did you also want a Aero Mint? Can't remember. If you did I have good news.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    kropotkin wrote: »
    CIMG3249.jpg

Got Aero Caramel, will trade for awesome cookies.

TheRobotGuy on
  • Options
    KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @test_subject23 Mead has been acquired, you're in luck.

Kevralyn on
    Dominic
    sig.gif
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kevralyn wrote: »
    @test_subject23 Mead has been acquired, you're in luck.

Hooray! I will bring you whiskey, sir!

I'll be doing a bulk grocery run this weekend, too, if anyone else would like any Canadian candy or snacks. I'll likely come down with a box of Mr. Big bars, some Hawkins cheezies, and whatever else comes to hand.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just an FYI to out-of-state visitors since it may come up, Massachusetts is kind of screwy when it comes to retail alcohol sales. For the most part you can only buy it in liquor stores, not in grocery stores or convenience stores or anywhere else, though some specialty grocery stores bypass the rule. Also, on Sunday no alcohol sales before noon.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Decius wrote: »

That's actually the main kind I wanted! Thanks :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I was already working on setting you up. Expect to be flodded I guess 8D

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You know, it really sucks having six Aero Mint just sitting here. So tempting to eat one.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Frugus wrote: »

I was already working on setting you up. Expect to be flodded I guess 8D

Damn! Was hoping no one would say anything lol.
    You know, it really sucks having six Aero Mint just sitting here. So tempting to eat one.

You should eat one..or two. :) But I feel you. I have two boxes of Trefoils and I haven't touched them and they're my fave.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You should eat one..or two. :) But I feel you. I have two boxes of Trefoils and I haven't touched them and they're my fave.

I can't. They're all spoken for :(:lol:

And to add insult to injury I'm picking up some Coffee Crisp bars this evening.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was unaware that so many things were not available outside of Canada... I`m just going to cram as much stuff as I can without it being a burden and will distribute during games.

I should be easy to spot, check my picture in the Mugshots thread (page 4 I think) and will have a black tote bag with a red NERV logo on it (slightly washed off). Just walk up to me if you are hungry or want to trade.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On the topic of Kinder Surprise, I just ran across this story from a couple months ago.

Kinder Surprise egg seized at U.S. border

O_o

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    MTSonic11 wrote: »
    Chicken & Mushroom or Beef & Tomato were my two faves.
    Shazaam! T'is done. Plus a bonus... :wink:
    MTSonic11 wrote: »
    Is there anything you're craving from the states that I can bring for you?
    Having had fairly decent access to AAFES stores for a number of years I've been good on my American candies - your chocolates just taste so strange to my palate and some of the others are just plain weird. One thing it has already been stated as one of my aims while over though is to try some Bawls. I heard about it during late-night sessions on a NwN server and curiosity demands!

I also have a few bags of Jelly Babies ready to distribute.

Landerolin on
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I also have a few bags of Jelly Babies ready to distribute.

w000t1xm.gif

The only thing I could offer in trade in maple creme cookies. Otherwise, we have access to the same things.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ZOMG!!! :D

Our chocolate is pretty horrible for the most part, I agree. We have a few large supermarkets that carry the biggest UK/Canadian imports though (Maltesers/Aero's/Bounty/etc). I never can find my favorites there though.

I will totally look for some Bawls for you tomorrow. I found some near my work at a 7/11 a few months ago. They had the big blue glass bottles (it comes in cans too). I'll go back and see if they have any and grab a few. If I can find them once I land in RI (no weight restriction after I'm on the ground!), I will totally grab more than a few though.

I actually really enjoy the flavor of original Bawls (they have other flavors that I've never tried like cherry or root beer). They have less caffeine than some of my other go-to drinks, but the taste is great.

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    Cliffs of SanityCliffs of Sanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rdr, it sounds like you now have all the mint Aero you can eat during PAX, but if by any chance you're from the midwest (or get here occasionally), Meijer stores carry both original and mint Aero in their international foods aisle. For those of you who don't know Meijer, it's kind of like Wal-Mart, but less evil and annoying.

Cliffs of Sanity on
  • Options
    willowtasticwillowtastic NL, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, this is my first PAX and I'm comming from Newfoudland, Canada. We don't have much here that I can think of, but if there's anything that anybody wants brought from here, I have a pretty big suitcase! :) I can also do any Canadian things like Smarties, Coffee Crisp, Aero.... Just let me know! :)

willowtastic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bring Screech!
    You don't actually have to. I can get it locally. We have lots of Newfies in Alberta.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bring Screech!
    You don't actually have to. I can get it locally. We have lots of Newfies in Alberta.

Dude... what the fuck is wrong with you?!?

fuck you and fuck screech.

oh god. the memories... (or lack there of)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Bring Screech!

Dude... what the fuck is wrong with you?!?

fuck you and fuck screech.

oh god. the memories... (or lack there of)

Hey if we're going to have Baijiu we might as well have a Screech chaser.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to try to hit the Asian supermarket this weekend and pick up some random snacks for when I run out of cookies.

TheRobotGuy on
  • Options
    willowtasticwillowtastic NL, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My brother will be bringing a small quantity of screech for the daring and bold (his words). He's also bringing some sweet bread. I'll be bringing some Jam Jams and Carmel Logs, and some small bags of All Dressed chips. My twitter account is Willowtastic, and I'll be updating it during PAX if you want to find us.

willowtastic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I guess I should share my Twitter account also. I'll be up in BYOC if someone wants a sample of the things I've brought.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    One thing it has already been stated as one of my aims while over though is to try some Bawls. I heard about it during late-night sessions on a NwN server and curiosity demands!

Achievement: Acquired 1 case of blue Bawls (50G)!

I Google'd for a place to find bulk Bawls and found a Bawls distributor fairly quickly (one of the few in the state) that sells it by the case. I called them this morning and they told me they would indeed sell to the public and I could come by.

Best part? They're literally right around the corner from my office. I've been craving some, so a whole case was a good idea. I will be bringing as much as possible with me. They only had the glass ones, which look cooler, but are smaller and of course heavier.

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last call if anyone wants something from canada! I'm going shopping this week-end for PAX! I'm attending the pre-pax dinner so that would be the ideal place to hand it off :) Send me a personal message if you want something (ie: chocolate!).

Kiki_lou on