As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    MastaP wrote:
    The Avengers also don't know his identity I think.

As for my theory:
    I really don't think it can be Ben. Jackal implicitly says that the person does not have Parker's DNA, and that the subject was the real firstborn of this era

Just read ish666. This part confused me until I'd re-read it a couple times.
    When Jackal says 'That isn't Parker', he's referring to Tarantula/Kaine. The guy in the tube is the 'Prime Specimen,' the firstborn, and Jackal mentions his obsession with Pete's DNA while looking at him.

So it's almost certainly Ben - either him, or that crazy super-clone Spidercide, but I doubt it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Gank wrote:
    And only the old new avengers. During Dark Reign right? Cos there'es the whole plot point that he won't tell Hand who he is and thus doesn't get paid.

And didn't they mention in Fantastic Four that it undid the devil-memory wipe? Like telling the FF made them remember all the times the times Peter did spider-crap in the past.

Correct me if Im wrong but the Mephisto thing only undid the marriage right?

Wasnt the memory wipe thing Reed and Dr. Strange redoing the thing they used for Sentry to wipe memories out?

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    I have a question about Spider Island: I picked up #666 on Comixology last night, and then I saw the massive event checklist and basically thought "oh fuck no." The thing is, I really like Dan Slott and would like to keep getting Amazing, but not if I'm only getting a fraction of the intended story.

Granted, you all haven't read the issues to come, of course, but does anyone have thoughts as to whether or not Amazing Spider-Man will be self-contained enough during this event to enjoy it?

pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Seems pretty self-contained to me. It's a Spider-Man story, so any tie-ins starring people who aren't Spider-Man are going to be incidental.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Good to hear. I was curious because of the "Part" numbering on each cover -- you probably wouldn't have wanted to read the Sinestro Corps War event JUST in Green Lantern, for example, as Green Lantern Corps was just as important to the overall story.

Edit: Ah, maybe the numbering is just on the Amazing covers after all, since I don't see it on Cloak and Dagger...

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The tie-ins are just that, tie-ins. The cloak and dagger mini is a cloak and dagger story set during SI, I'm sure the same is true of the venom and Shang chi and Black Panther tie ins.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you look at the checklist it makes it pretty clear that asm 667 is part 1, 668 is part 2, 669 is part 3, etc

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    Cloak and Dagger is really good (from the 1st issue anyways).

ultimates-1.png
    Yeah I read Cloak and Dagger, and while I liked it a lot I feel pretty confident saying it's not essential to what's going on in ASM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm actually glad that Nick Spencer seems to be using Spider Island, as an excuse to tell a Cloak and Dagger story, that's basically unrelated to anything going on in Spider-Man.

It's kind of funny. I don't give a shit about Spider-Man anymore, but I'm buying a few of the Spider-Island tie-ins, just because of the creators and characters involved.

Lookin' at you, Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu.

Well it does look like they are going up against a big time spidey villain

In any case I really enjoyed the first part of spider-island, the spider Carlie stuff was really cute

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    CBR has an 8 page preview of the Venom Spider-Island tie in here. And this issue actually has anything to do with Spider Island.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I've been loving Spider-island, the first issue was good, if kind of dragging because it's been two solid issues of set up.

And Yak,
    That's not the line I meant. I got that. I was referring to
    For all my years of obsessing over Parker's DNA... I have to admit I'd always dreamed of studying this prime specimen
    Which means that the "specimen" does not have Parker DNA like Ben and Kaine do.

MastaP on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    new_spider_man_redesign_by_jsmnox-d46nevd.jpg

Just wanted to share this Spider-Man redesign. I don't like the look against a white background, but I love how it looks against the black backdrop. If you did something to the mouthpiece (mandibles, maybe?), I think it'd be perfect.

Robos A Go Go on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    That's a pretty neat design

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    give it mandibles and it'd be perfect

the red/black combo's always been one of my favorites

I do not think I would like a spider-man costume with mandibles

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I say keep the eyes white, the yellow makes it more menacing than spidey should be.

Zeromus wrote:
    Good to hear. I was curious because of the "Part" numbering on each cover -- you probably wouldn't have wanted to read the Sinestro Corps War event JUST in Green Lantern, for example, as Green Lantern Corps was just as important to the overall story.

Edit: Ah, maybe the numbering is just on the Amazing covers after all, since I don't see it on Cloak and Dagger...

If you'll notice. Each number adds another leg onto the spider logo. Which means there will be only 8 "main" parts (aka ASM will contain the main story)

MastaP wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:

If you'll notice. Each number adds another leg onto the spider logo. Which means there will be only 8 "main" parts (aka ASM will contain the main story)

Huh, nifty. Didn't even notice that. Although including the prelude in the countdown, thus making "Part 1" have 2 legs, is a wee bit confusing.

galactussig-1.jpg
    Venom #6 had a pretty big plot point, that I don't think was mentioned in ASM
    those big tarantula spider-people things that follows the Jackal? One of them is Steve Rogers.

Also, Venom Dog

edited August 2011
    TexiKen wrote:
    Venom #6 had a pretty big plot point, that I don't think was mentioned in ASM
    those big tarantula spider-people things that follows the Jackal? One of them is Steve Rogers.

Also, Venom Dog

Yeah that issue was bad ass. Hell, all of Venom has been really good so far.

And the aforementioned plot point,
    this means Rogers was the prime specimen from 666, no? Makes sense seeing as how the super soldier serum is like the Holy Grail in the Marvel Universe, but how the fuck does someone get away with kidnapping Cap for the god damn Jackal?

Edit:
    In fact, upon rereading, the Jackal does mention that the guy in the tube in 666 is the "true first born of this era", so they kind of super-vaguely hinted at it.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    I wonder if this'll be presented as a big reveal in ASM now, since his set up was done in such a deliberately mysterious way.

I assume this measns that the secret lady is
    The Queen

ultimates-1.png
    That's a fair Guess. Not sure yet though.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    That was huge. Did not see that coming, or the reveal coming out in a spin-off of the main story.

re.: the other 'tarantula guy'
    Deadly Foes revealed he was the resurrected and mutated Kaine. An unlikely match-up, to say the least...

@ Robobs - cool design and great cover. I like how the design makes him look when he's crawling across a dark surface.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote:
    That was huge. Did not see that coming, or the reveal coming out in a spin-off of the main story.

re.: the other 'tarantula guy'
    Deadly Foes revealed he was the resurrected and mutated Kaine. An unlikely match-up, to say the least...

@ Robobs - cool design and great cover. I like how the design makes him look when he's crawling across a dark surface.

um
    That was in Prelude to Spider-Island, even.

edited August 2011
    I read Deadly-Foes first cuz it had Hobgolin in it. Made me go back and get the other stuff.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited August 2011
    SpiderIslandTeaser.jpg
    It’s the Spider-Man event of the year, and with so many twists and turns – there’s no telling what will happen next! But there’s one thing we can tell you, fans can get excited for the return of someone very important to the life of Peter Parker. Except where will he show up? With Spider-Island selling out across the board, it’s obvious that fans can’t get enough of the Wall-crawler, all 8 million of them!
    hmmmmmmmmmm

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    So that's basically a yes, Ben is coming back

He could be the last member of that team at New Horizon, but it'd be pretty silly for no one to comment that Peter's looks alot like their "mysterious" member.

ultimates-1.png
    Ben Reilly was the Jackal all along dun dun dunnnn. It's going to be Peter's dad, that seems like something Slott would do.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    He could be the last member of that team at New Horizon, but it'd be pretty silly for no one to comment that Peter's looks alot like their "mysterious" member.

I thought of this too. Especially after they had the preview image with him saying, "It's you?!".

He could look differently now perhaps. Who knows?

10ymog5.jpg

Sold.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    YES

Is that the same guy who was the child abuser from Bendis' DD run?

Nah. That's Frog-Man/Leap-Frog; either the original, or his son, who later took up the costume.

They're probably best known from this Tangled Web story.

edited August 2011
    TexiKen wrote:
    Is that the same guy who was the child abuser from Bendis' DD run?

D:What?!? They made Frog Man a sex offender? (Edited)

Man, I remember him mostly from a 70's team up book I picked up with Speed Demon in it. Didn't know they'd had a tangled web story though. The "Flowers for Rhino" story in that was amazing.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    that DD story wasn't about sexual abuse, just physical abuse.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011
    Actually, that sounds very familiar now. I think the Team Up issue I had was Eugene putting on his father's costume to undo some of the wrong he'd done with a couple of flashback panels showing his abusive dad.

But it's been the better part of a decade since I read it. I'll have to dig out my copy when I get home from work.

Edit: Yeah, it was Marvel Team-Up #121 and Eugene donned the costume to gain his fathers respect... after he'd beat him. Of course.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg