As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fixing/disabling the ignition security in a Buick

corky842corky842 Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's the deal. My 1996 Buick Regal has one of those ignition security things (resistor or something embedded in the key, if it's the wrong value the car won't start). The problem is, when it's fairly cold outside it will sometimes not start immediately, but when I try again (SECURITY light on the instrument panel turns off, about 2 minutes after I first try starting), it starts right up. Any ideas how to fix it or remove it?

corky842 on

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some Googling turned up this:

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3436915-98_buick_regal_start_will_let_set_few
    There are several solutions at different cost levels. The best (and most expensive) is to replace the ignition switch and keys. Second is to have a VATS bypass installed. If you are reasonably mechanical you can pull the bottom steering wheel cover, locate the 2 leads from the key reader and disconnect them from the switch switch and put resistors in line so the VATS reads the proper resistance. Or you can wait 3 minutes each time it does it. That of course gets old in a hurry. If this doesn't fit your situation please post a new question with a little more info.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Take your VIN and registration to the local Buick dealer and have a new key cut

80% of the time, this issue is caused by a worn key, not pressing the contacts properly. If this doesn't do it, it's either bypass VATS or replace the worn ignition tumbler

Rule #1 of owning a VATS-equipped GM vehicle: Do not have ANYTHING unnecessary on your keyring as added weight destroys the ignition tumblers

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot