As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do I do with all this bread?

Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs awayBrooklynRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So loaves of bread went on sale for something like 2 for 2.50 at my local keyfood, and it appears that I and all of my roommates bought bread this week. Now I have like six loaves of bread at my house and none of us eat bread fast enough to get rid of a loaf before it goes moldy.

I've had french toast for breakfast for the past two days and that's about all I want of that. I like bread pudding but I've never made it myself. I was thinking I might make a meatloaf but alas, ground beef is distinctly not on sale this week and I am opposed to paying full price unless I have to cuz I'm kinda poor this month.

Any tricks or recipes out there? I know you got knowledge, H/A!

Aurora Borealis on

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Slice it and freeze it.

If not, when it goes a little stale, make bread & butter pudding.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/brdpudd.htm

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Take the crust off and break it up and use it as crumbs for frying/baking chicken and the like?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Make some croutons

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    croutons are always a good option.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just put it in your freezer. It'll be fine for a while.

Esh on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Freeze it and use it whenever.

Alternately your local soup kitchen/food pantry can generally always use some plain sliced bread.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I fridge up my bread and it lasts me months before there's mold. I imagine in the freezer it'd last even longer.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We regularly buy loads of bread and freeze it. It's fine. Just make sure people have the wherewithal to take one out to thaw when you're getting low on the current one.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Feed some birds at the park.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I disagree with the freezer thing only because I think it affects the breads taste and texture - maybe its a thawing problem...just not my thing.

The Fridge on the other hand is an awesome place - and it keeps the mold away.

The biggest thing is to not store it in your cupboards. Darkness = Molds happy place.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I don't really like the texture of defrosted bread either -- although it may be worth noting that I'm the only person I know who can tell the difference aside from WildEEP up there. Unless you want to give it away, though, it sounds like your best option.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    I don't really like the texture of defrosted bread either -- although it may be worth noting that I'm the only person I know who can tell the difference aside from WildEEP up there. Unless you want to give it away, though, it sounds like your best option.

Oh, it definitely changes the texture. It's best used for grilled sandwiches after being frozen.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's usually not a big enough difference unless you eat PB&J sandwiches every day or so. I can't really tell the difference in more substantial things like toast, grilled cheese, or larger sandwiches with more stuff.

bowen on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    freeze some of it and when you defrost it, defrost it in the fridge. defrosted bread tastes better when you reheat it. My mum used to wrap a few slices in an aluminum foil packet and drop it in the broiler for a few minutes and it was fabulous, tasted better than that spongy white bread has any right to taste. My mum also made our own breadcrumbs for breading cutlets and those keep for week/months if stored in a closed paper bag so even if ground chuck isn't on sale this week, you can use them later. Bake the moisture out of a few slices at a time on a baking sheet (150-200F ought to do it, light browning is ok but the goal is just to get the wetness out). Put the pieces in a brown paper bag and crush with a rolling pin. It doesn't make very much, so I would say you could use up half a loaf or more just prepping breadcrumbs. (maybe even more, if meatloaf is the goal.)

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Donate the excess to your local food bank.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gosh, thanks guys!

I too do not like the texture of unfrozen bread, but the suggestions for combating this are fabulous.

I bread my chicken with flour but crumbs for meatloaf is a good idea.

Ooh, and CBadger, that bread pudding recipe looks amazing. And aside from the cream I have all of that at home already. :)

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ooh, and CBadger, that bread pudding recipe looks amazing. And aside from the cream I have all of that at home already. :)

You can substitute milk :)

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gosh, thanks guys!

I too do not like the texture of unfrozen bread, but the suggestions for combating this are fabulous.

I bread my chicken with flour but crumbs for meatloaf is a good idea.

Don't bread the chicken, stuff it! And stuff pock chops too while you're at it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Grilled Cheese Sandwich Party

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I invite you to consider all the possibilities of the strata. While I've only dabbled in the French-ish toast variety, I understand that you can do just about anything in terms of layered bread and stuff in a casserole dish.

Entriech on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    I invite you to consider all the possibilities of the strata. While I've only dabbled in the French-ish toast variety, I understand that you can do just about anything in terms of layered bread and stuff in a casserole dish.

After looking at some of the breakfast ones I now kind of wish I had some old bread.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Donate the excess to your local food bank.

Food banks typically only take non-perishables.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bread Soup
    Home Made Stuffing

You can also use the bread to make breadcrumbed stuff.

Breadcrumb Chicken

I know my mom used to bake something like that. Anyways, those are ideas and unfortunately, I haven't tried any personally, but I'm sure you're capable of searching for recipes you may like better or use those as a springboard for you own designs.

I'll also second French Toast and or Cinnamon Toast.

If you're not a cook, then cinnamon Toast is really the easiest way to use it. Slap some butter on, add sugar and cinnamon and then put in a toaster. I don't think it's even possible to make bad Cinnamon toast with the possible exception of not enough butter.

Niceguy Myeye on