As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sapphire HD 6870 crashes when catalyst drivers are installed

IsoldaeIsoldae Hats OffTo JigglypuffRegistered User regular
Whenever I install graphics card drivers onto my newly built computer I get a black screen and then a blue screen. I have tried installing older versions of catalyst, I have tried installing the drivers from my cd, from ati, and from amd, nothing seems to fix this issue. All that I have currently installed on my computer is windows7 and it's updates and my ASUS mobo drivers, everything stays stable with these things installed until I install the catalyst drivers.

My build is:
AMD Phenom II 970 Black Edition
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W

xet8c.gif
Isoldae on

• Options
    EasilyAmusedEasilyAmused Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had a similar situation once where the card was just DOA. Tried everything under the sun, but as soon as I installed drivers it would crash, worked "fine" without drivers at 640x480. Convinced I was doing something wrong, but exchanged it and the replacement worked fine right away. So if it seems like you are doing everything right, could just be a bad card.

EasilyAmused on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Which card do you have? There are two sku's for the Sapphire Radeon 6870. There's the 11179-00-40R1 -

11179-00-40R%201.jpg

And the 21179-00-40R1 -

Sapphire_HD_6870_1GB.jpg

I don't really know if this means anything but if you know which card is in your system, you might search for people having similar problems with the same card.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had the bottom card.

When I searched around for other people having the same issue the only solution they found was to RMA the card.

Which is what I did, so in a week or so I will know if that fixes the issue.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had an issue a while ago with a bad RMA card that would give me blue screens and generally go apeshit whenever It was using the proper nvidia drivers. I could only boot it into safe mode successfully because windows defaults to standard VGA drivers there. Some part of the card had failed, such that it was not totally fried, but when it had those drivers and was able to attempt more specific operations it made the whole thing fail.

This is all to say, it sounds like your card was DOA and the new one will probably be fine.

Scosglen on