Hey guys I am hoping you can give me some clues here because I am perplexed as to what is up.
First Specs I guess
OS: Windows XP Service Pack 3
MB: S775 Gigabyte 965PDS3
GFX: Zotac 260GTX 896MB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700/2,67GHz
RAM: DDR2 PC2-5300 2x1024MB CL5 (KVRD2N5K2/2G)
SC: Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio
Main HDD : Hitachi DeskstarT7K500 320GB S
Secondary HDD : WD Cavair WD7500AACS 750GB
Thirtiary HDD : 1.5 TB Samsung SpinPoint F2EG HD154UI
PSU: Ace Raw Deal 620W
Today I wanted to order some more RAM for my computer so I looked inside to check what RAM I already had, pulled a stick out to read the stickers on it and such so I could get more of the same type (hear mixing is bad).
I put it back again after noting down the information and reconnected the computer, tried to boot but it instantly shut down again, which I ofc instantly knew it was because the RAM was plugged in wrong, disconnected computer again, put the RAM in right (wasn't fully in) and reconnected it again.
Computer booted fine, no issues at first, played some Red Alert 3 (Steam game installed on Secondary HDD, the Western Digital), browsed the web a bit and chatted with some friends, then went to boot Oblivion which is installed on the same drive as RA3, it had stutters and a lot of scratchy sound while loading and a bit of it in game so quit to find out what the problem was.
I ofc at first think the RAM might be the culprit seeing as how I just fiddled with it maybe an hour earlier and turn off the computer so I can make sure the RAM is in totally right, which it is.
I boot the comp again, try Oblivion and it's running even slower than before (computer in general feels slow now), hanging while loading and even more sound issues, so I leave the game. Get Memtest and run that, run two instances of it both checking 754 MB RAM which it says is the max the free version can do, have it run for I dunno how long but enough to read 125% coverage on both programs, it finds nothing wrong.
At this point I decide it might be Sound card issues if the memory appears okay and I try uninstalling the drivers and software and reinstalling from my old CD's (the drivers I had were downloaded a few days ago from their site since I did a clean install due to AVG fucking up my system files when trying to uninstall it).
The sound issues persists even with new drivers and I try running another game from the WD drive, Borderlands. It has sound issues and poor performance as well.
I also try running Oblivion, but I usually boot that through Wrye Bash which runs on python, python is installed on the main drive (Hitachi) but Wrye Bash is installed on the WD, it pops up the load window that usually comes up while it compiles and runs the python but it almost instantly shut down again.
I reboot again and this time when I enter windows I also have sound problems on the windows login sound and on simple things like the clicking sound when opening folders. When I open the WD Drive it suddenly only says it contains one file even though the drive says only 5GB free out of just under 700GB. The rest of the files just dont show up.
At this point I think the entire thing might have been caused by the HDD and pull that out of the computer.
I reconnect the computer and at first there is no issue, I try morrowind which I had an install of on the Samsung HDD, run it through Wrye Mash, no sound issues or anything. Leave Morrowind again and click around some more, return to Morrowind and run it again but this time I get the scratchy sound issues again telling me the problem likely isnt over with the WD deciding to die on me.
This is roughly where I am now. I am not sure what is causing my issues, all my hardware has been running in this computer for atleast a year (computer is almost 4 years old but the Graphics card, 2 of the HDD's (WD and Samsung) and the PSU are newer), the RAM which indeed fiddled with seems fine, the soundcard itself I dunno, my suspicion is that its getting problems due to general system issues, but I can't pinpoint where they are coming from.
Atm my computer is disconnected, the WD drive is disconnected from the computer and I am using my laptop in case the problem was not the HDD that damaged the HDD, I don't want to lose the 1,5TB drive to this problem if I can help it.
Anyone got any ideas?
Put WD back in (didn't put RAM back in), still has the problem from before, responds very slowly, only 1 file showing, that file works though.
Tried Morrowind again, this time it loads super super slow and gets sound scratching and stuttering again.
Also AVG only fucked up my TCPIP files and such from what I could see, I just didnt want to deal with that at the time and decided to clean install (since I got my installs set up so C: can be wiped at any time for easy formats).
My guess as to the issue would be that the bad RAM caused corrupt data to be written to the secondary disk which made it corrupt and not working and had it start to interfere with general functions. It seems like the RAM itself alone does not cause serious slowdown or anything noticeable except slight sound corruption.
I think I will disconnect my 1,5TB disk, connect the WD and see if I can get some error detection running on the WD in the hope that I can fix it.