As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Orcs must Die!] Are you killing orcs? You should be killing orcs.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    DLC is out.

But..

I can't figure out how to unlock the new traps. They're not on my DLC list (the artifacts are), and they're not on the list of equipment pre-mission or during the mission.

Are they something that need to be manually unlocked? Yeah yeah, the DLC went live like 20 minutes ago but wtf :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Verified the cache and got them working.

The new traps are really good. Dunno about the artifacts.

The poison one is only one attack really. you toss out bombs then the alt attack detonates them. with the base mana you can only toss out two bombs and your mana is gone. So that one seems meh unless it does a ton of damage. but the poison doesn't linger long, it is damn near only an instant attack. The health leech artifact doesn't really appeal to me much at all.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Sounds good. I'll prob grab it this weekend once I get paid... unless I cave. After all it is only $2.

Decoy on
  • Options
    What worked really well for me with the new traps was to drop two rows of slow traps in front of the fire ones and by the time anything gets over the slow's the traps have reset. Pretty much nothing "small" could get past the row of fire traps.

The lighting traps work kind of like a combination of the swinging mace and grinders. They work better than other ceiling traps because they have multiple charges before needing to be reset, so they can clear out lines of enemies, and they work like grinders in that they attack individual enemies per charge and can "catch" things before they go through.

Plus they seem to do a shitload of damage. I had some kobolds tailing me and I ran them through some lightning generators with some slow patches and it just murdered them to death. They're better than the swinging trap in this regard as they decimate single targets, but they are more expensive to fill 3 slots with and they do need to recharge which isn't true for the hammer. However they seem to have quite a few charges and lasted quite awhile.

Incidentally the "upgrade" for the swinging hammer is broken and supposed to be fixed this week; which should make it even more powerful than it already is.

The only thing about the lightning generators I didn't check was their range. I don't know how high up they can be and still hit. This will matter a lot in some stages that can't really use the hammer/stomper.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, kobolds were always the bane of my existence when I started playing. Not so much these days.

I actually am wondering how good those vampiric guantlets are. They sound interesting to me, but if they are channeled and work slowly... well... I don't know if they're worth a slot on my bar.

Are they effected by any of the talents in the weaver trees?

Decoy on
  • Options
    No clue. Haven't tried them out as I rarely use equipment other than the lightning bracer and I rarely use anything but the trap/guardian weaver.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Salty about this not being on 360(DLC).

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    blame consoles for not letting developers put their stuff on there easily or quickly

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Maaaaaaan some of the par times on the later maps are way way way too tight. I just did the...I think 3rd to last stage and don't think I could have possibly murdered everything faster and was still 7 seconds off par time.

• Options
    Col_VolkovCol_Volkov Registered User new member
    Greatest video game of 2011, easily. I love it. New traps are awesome... Damn I'd die from teh_happy if a level editor came out.

Anyone know any other plans for DLCs?

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten to play this much yet, but I do love it. I just unlocked the Trees. One thing I have yet to really find a use for is hte Vents that shoot people into the air. What are those good for? I feel like there are much better options out there.

Still loving the hell out of this game!

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Finally 5-skulled War Mage. The guide had a good strategy for Finale that works pretty well using nothing but brimstone, paladins, and magic. I threw in some upgraded pounders for a little extra breathing room on the last couple waves, but when the last Ogre fell and the victory dance started I was pumped.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote:
    I haven't gotten to play this much yet, but I do love it. I just unlocked the Trees. One thing I have yet to really find a use for is hte Vents that shoot people into the air. What are those good for? I feel like there are much better options out there.

I haven't really found a use for them either, but I would guess that they would work well in conjunction with Ceiling traps (to push enemies up to ceiling traps that normally wouldn't reach them) and wall traps (put a wall trap 1 level high and then use the vents to push enemies up to where the trap will hit them).

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote:
    DrunkMc wrote:

I haven't really found a use for them either, but I would guess that they would work well in conjunction with Ceiling traps (to push enemies up to ceiling traps that normally wouldn't reach them) and wall traps (put a wall trap 1 level high and then use the vents to push enemies up to where the trap will hit them).

Ah, I got ya. I guess all traps can't be gems. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something! I have such an urge to go home and kill some orcs!

• Options
    I've always been curious about the vent trap too. Just by its description I never thought I'd find a use for it. I should load up one of the early stages and just see what the hell it actually does and then see if there are any real applications for it that couldn't be accomplished easier through other means.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I've always been curious about the vent trap too. Just by its description I never thought I'd find a use for it. I should load up one of the early stages and just see what the hell it actually does and then see if there are any real applications for it that couldn't be accomplished easier through other means.

Maybe if there are times when pits have ledges on them and you normal push traps cant get mobs over it. Couldn't you in theory vent them up and push them out that way? Seems awful elaborate though considering you could, I dont know, use any of trap that is just as deadly for cheaper.

Decoy on
  • Options
    maybe to push enemies up to the arrow traps you have placed high up to get flying guys? only thing I can think of. I mean its meant to slow down guys, but so is the tar trap and that has no reset timer

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    CorsethCorseth Registered User new member
    Steam traps are score-multipliers only, really. I certainly can't think of a way to use them that's easier or more cost effective than other traps, so when you're going for 5 skulls, leave them at home.

They seem mostly for building combos. When an orc is 'touched' by a trap, they start building combo, which lasts a brief time. I don't know the duration, but let's say an orc walks over a tar pit trap, then onto a lava floor, then onto a spike trap, and dies; you get a 3 combo (combos smaller than 3 aren't counted) even though the traps didn't hit him at the same time. As long as its in close sequence.

The trick is of course the common orc tends to, well, die pretty well to most traps. Steam traps give you a non-damage trap you can add to a combo chain... ie tarpit, to steam, to pushtrap is 3 combo points right there that deal no damage, so you could knock him onto a lava floor, arrow trap, and spike floor (if he can make it to the spikes before dying to arrows and fire), for a 6 combo, which is worth way more points than the super cost effective but 1-hit KO swinging hammer (hard to get more than the basic 3 combo because of the damage that does).

Granted, that setup is gonna be so cost-ineffective you'd probably be only able to work it on the easiest levels and still hope to full-clear ;)

• Options
    edited October 2011
    So another question, I just got to the level where you get the spiked pendulum. And there are 2 gates, so I walled one off with barricades so I know they'll all come to a choke point. This has worked on every stage up until now. But now, all enemies are targeting the barricades even though they have a path to the other gate. Is this supposed to happen? Seems odd they change it up like that mid game. Do I need a bigger choke point? Instead of one Square, maybe two?

EDIT:

I tried making the other route as wide as possible, no go. I think they want u to have to defend both gates. That level was hard as hell!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    If there are more than 1 Rift, you need to have a clear path to all of the Rifts. If there is a guardian behind the barricade, orcs will break down the barricade to get to them.

• Options
    Ah, I see now. Very cool.

This game is just pure fun. I spent 30mins last night on the first board just playing with different set ups. The fire artifiact is crazy powerful. Stand at the door, hit the ALT Fire and you burn pretty much the entire first wave of every board. Good times!

• Options
    that strategy doesn't work quite as well when you start getting orcs with shields though

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, then it won't kill the first wave, but it thins the herd, a lot. Especially with the multi-entrance, what I do is start at one door. Do the alt fire, then RUN to the other door and man that door. The fire culls it enough for whatever traps I set to take care of it, especially mixed with tar.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Hey.

New DLC Tuesday.

Four new Maps, Tower "reverse" map, two new enemies and a new "trap".

$2.99 at launch.

Yeah, so that's pretty awesome.

Apparently a lot of people were pissy about the first DLC, but I actually liked the new stuff personally, but this DLC should make people happier with a lot more interesting content.

Anyway, youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts862FTzW9g

EDIT: Fixed the incorrect information about what is included. 5 maps, 4 are new and 1 is reverse Tower. The Trap is a mana well you can put on walls to refill your mana. That's going to be overpowered as shit I'm thinking. We'll see.

EDIT2: Might as well link the release:
    Return through the rifts in “lost adventures” dlc pack for orcs must die!™

Robot Entertainment announces two new enemies and five new levels for PC players

PLANO, Texas – November 3, 2011 – Robot Entertainment has announced Lost Adventures, the second DLC pack for their critically acclaimed action strategy game Orcs Must Die!™ Return to the dead world beyond the rifts and conquer a new series of five challenging fortresses. In Lost Adventures you’ll travel from the depths of the Pit to the narrow passages high over the Great Gorge. The Lost Adventures are five of the most deadly rift assaults the War Mage has ever faced and will be available on Steam for a special introductory price of $2.99 on Tuesday, November 8th, 2011.

· Five New Fortresses – Repel the orc onslaught in four completely new fortresses plus a reverse version of The Tower where your enemies have the high ground! Each fortress can be played on Apprentice, War Mage, or Nightmare difficulty.

Two New Enemies – Fear the icy breath of the Frost Bat, and beware the draining magical attack of the Cyclops Mage!
    New Leaderboards – Challenge your friends for the highest score on leaderboards for each of the five new levels.
    New skull rewards – Earn up to fifty additional skulls to further upgrade your arsenal of traps!
    A New Bonus Defense! – Place the Mana Well in strategic locations around a fortress for a burst of magical energy at just the right moment.

Orcs Must Die! is an action-strategy game that challenges players to defend fortresses under siege. With a wide variety of traps and weapons to choose from, Orcs Must Die! dares players to find the best ways to hack, launch, flatten, gibletize, and incinerate an endless army of filthy orcs and their vile allies. Orcs Must Die! features a vibrant look, addictive gameplay, and a blatant disregard for the welfare of orcs. Orcs Must Die! is rated T by the ESRB, and will be available exclusively as a digital download. For more information about Orcs Must Die!, please visit http://www.OrcsMustDie.com.

And a final note: man, I feel sorry for folks who bought this on consoles. Getting shafted out of DLC's is pretty weak and I hope they eventually do release them because...not cool.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, it does suck that consoles are being shafted on DLC. On the flip side (and not to start anything, I swear), there have been plenty of console exclusives, both full games and XBox Live/PSN indie titles, that I wish I could have gotten on the PC. Sadly, the way MS and Sony regulate what goes on their services, I'm not sure when it'll change.

Regardless, I'll be picking this up on release (along with the first), even though I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to put into it til later. Still, I'd like to at least reward them for continuing to support the game (on PC at least) rather than hold off for a small discount on something already half the cost of a fast food lunch.

Also, those freezing flying enemies already scare me. My awareness is going to have to improve with those things coming. Hah.

Decoy on
  • Options
    I have a feeling they were made explicitly to counter absurdly powerful archers. Which makes me a sad panda as I love my archers. :(

• Options
    Neat! I'll have to grab this. I really do enjoy this game. I am up to hte last board and getting my ass kicked handily, so I'm trying to go back and get 5 Skulls on everything up to it. Some levels there's 1 thing that sneaks in and I'm not sure what it is. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Is there anyway to get the CTS skin? Anyone get one at PAX and not use it?

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Just an update about the level of salt I'm at. It's a medium size pile at this point.

• Options
    DrunkMc wrote:
    Neat! I'll have to grab this. I really do enjoy this game. I am up to hte last board and getting my ass kicked handily, so I'm trying to go back and get 5 Skulls on everything up to it. Some levels there's 1 thing that sneaks in and I'm not sure what it is. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Is there anyway to get the CTS skin? Anyone get one at PAX and not use it?

I have no idea. I would like one as well. It annoys me that it is listed in my DLC box on steam but I don't have it. However, I didn't go to PAX so I shouldn't have it. But why is it here?

Anyway, I'm am a sad panda. For some reason when I woke up today I was thinking it was Tuesday and was all looking forward to playing the new DLC. Bleh.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    DLC is up on steam. There's also an associated patch, probably just for the DLC.

EDIT: Oh, no seems like the patch is different, the DLC is like 600mb.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DLC is up on steam. There's also an associated patch, probably just for the DLC.

EDIT: Oh, no seems like the patch is different, the DLC is like 600mb.

Sweet. Just picked it up. Now the hard part... finding time to play it.

• Options
    The first map of the bunch feels unusually difficult. I haven't tried all of them but the next two aren't too bad. Reverse Tower is actually pretty easy overall, but just like normal Tower has an (imo) unreasonable par time).

The mana font is pretty nice, but pretty expensive (1500).

• Options
    The first map of the bunch feels unusually difficult. I haven't tried all of them but the next two aren't too bad. Reverse Tower is actually pretty easy overall, but just like normal Tower has an (imo) unreasonable par time).

The mana font is pretty nice, but pretty expensive (1500).

Wow. That is expensive. Things upwards of a grand I generally leave out of my strategies. My problem is I'm never great at getting the cash rolling early, so by the time I can afford those pieces my stuff is setup and working.

• Options
    I like to keep them in my loadout just so when the last-ish break rolls around I can setup the "perfect" defense.

Of course seeing as afaik there are no breaks in nightmare I probably shouldn't play that way. I have no clue how that first mission of the DLC is going to be doable on nightmare and get 5 skulls.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    On a couple of maps I took advantage of a break to completely teardown my setup and rebuild it in a different location in order to get 5 stars. I have no clue how I'm going to get 5 stars on those maps in nightmare.

Does anyone have a good method for dealing with the groups of hunters on nightmare? I'm about to give decoys a try out of desperation.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    So I saw this on their facebook page.

http://www.robotentertainment.com/forum/topic/Modding-Creating-Custom-Onslaughts-Orcs-Must-Die
    CREATING CUSTOM ONSLAUGHTS FOR ORCS MUST DIE!

We have created a path that allows users to modify Onslaught files for Orcs Must Die! Onslaught files are the files that control the enemies, timing, and various other details of the waves in Orcs Must Die!

DOWNLOAD DEFAULT ONSLAUGHT FILES
    Before getting started, you can download a zip file with all of the default Onslaught and Timing files at this link. Use these files as your base templates to create custom waves.

Link: http://assets.robotentertainment.com/Orcs-Must-Die/modding/Onslaughts.zip

HOW IT WORKS
    Create your custom Onslaughts from the default files and add them to this directory: ##WhereEverSteamIsInstalled##\steamapps\common\orcs must die!\data\mod\onslaughts\

The game will only load a modified version of an onslaught or timing file that is referenced by the core game. This means that you are limited to modifying the contents of existing files (download from the link above). You can’t create entirely new onslaughts.

If the folder above containsa file with the same name as an existing default Onslaught, the game will load the custom files to the exclusion of the base game Onslaught. This means that you can edit the contents of the default files, but you shouldn't change their file names.

If there is any modified Onslaught or Timing file located in the folder above, then the game will disable posting leaderboard scores and stats for ALL LEVELS in the game, modified or not.

​There is no messaging or notification for errors in the files or to indicate that you are locked out from leaderboards due to modification. Use at your own risk.

To return the game to its default state simple delete the contents of the onslaughts directory, and you will be back to playing the default version of the game.

Decoy on
  • Options
    That's pretty awesome. I hope folks use it to make some interesting stuff.

I doubt we'll ever see an actual map maker for the game, but this should keep it fresh. They need to something in-game to support it though..let you browse peoples onslaught files or something.

• Options
    I don't feel like finding the article but just wanted to pop in and say that the devs indicated in an interview today(?) that the DLC will be coming to consoles soon(tm)

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So I got this in the Steam sale recently. My god is it fun. I kept saying to myself, just one more level last night, next thing I know the sun is coming up.

Something so satisfying to watch an orc walk into the wall blade trap. I hope there are more levels where that trap is useful.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote:
    So I got this in the Steam sale recently. My god is it fun. I kept saying to myself, just one more level last night, next thing I know the sun is coming up.

Something so satisfying to watch an orc walk into the wall blade trap. I hope there are more levels where that trap is useful.

I also cracked out on this after picking it up on sale. Had to drop down to easy for the last few main campaign levels. Want to try finale on warmage though. Once I had everything blockaded off except one path, nothing got near the stairs. The hallway right before had a tar traps and crushers aplently buffeted with grinder/axe combos at the entrances.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek