As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 6 - Which version should I get?

MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I want to revisit my youth and go through FF6 again. It's been about 12 years. My question is simple, what's the best version to play? I remember awhile back there was a PSX version released. There are also release for the PSP, yes? Is there an enhanced version?

Thanks.

MindLib on

• Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FFVI was released on the SNES, the PSX, and the GBA in the U.S. Out of those, the GBA version is probably the best by the thinnest of margins, then the SNES version. The PSX version, because of atrocious load times, shouldn't be played unless it's the only option.

The GBA version sports some cleaner and brighter graphics and there is some extra optional stuff. Other than that, same ole same ole.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Much appreciated. Found a copy for the GBA (plays in the DS fine, right?) for $15!

EDIT: Oh snap, they were out of stock. Cheapest price I see is $35.00 Used. :(

MindLib on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The GBA version also sports a more faithful translation versus the SNES/PSX releases and fixes up some bugs and glitches (the infamous and ultra-cheesy Vanish/Doom trick no longer works, for instance).

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not only is the Vanish/Doom bug fixed (which, to be honest, never really seemed like a bug rather than a clever use of mechanics... but still overpowered), but the Mdefense bug, in which defense rating was completely useless and everything was determined by magic defense. You could put Ceres out with high Mdefense gear and effectively solo the game due to nigh invincibility.

Additionally, the new translation is much clearer and closer to the original characters. And the GBA version has a quicksave function that let's you stop and restart anywhere at the same place. Sheeit, I don't know why you haven't bought it already--I may be biased, but $35 is worth the price of admission and then some.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Very nitpicky here, bhe vanish/doom thing was a bug, not just a use of game mechanic. It said "Miss" when you cast doom on a boss normally, but what was actually happening was they were immune to it. When you put vanish on them, the game would skip the immunity check - you could do all kinds of things you weren't supposed to be able to do to a boss with it, though once you've got vanish up, why lower their level or slow them when you can just kill them outright.

Anyway, $35 sounds steep. I'd shop around, but I did pay $25 for it used and feel it was a decent deal. It's a good game.

They also added a couple extra side dungeons. One of them, Dragon's Den, is pretty cool - lots of new stuff to be had in there, plus extras of some of the unique items, hard bosses without being the patent bullshit some of Square's optional bosses are (Looking at you Iseria Queen). Lets you save and continue after beating the final boss, too, so you don't have to put off finishing the game to get the optional challenges down.

Hevach on
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The GBA is definitely the best to play through, but they made some compromises with the music since the GBA has nothing on the SNES audio chip. I got it at launch and it's not grating but you can definitely notice it.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was pleasantly surprised by how much better the GBA's dialogue was than the SNES version (what I remember of the original, anyway.) I didn't really notice the sound difference.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FFVI was released on the SNES, the PSX, and the GBA in the U.S. Out of those, the GBA version is probably the best by the thinnest of margins, then the SNES version. The PSX version, because of atrocious load times, shouldn't be played unless it's the only option.

The GBA version sports some cleaner and brighter graphics and there is some extra optional stuff. Other than that, same ole same ole.

this right here is gospel

though I'll throw out that the BEST way to play it would be to use a Gamecube + gameboy player and do the GBA version on the big screen. :)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Totally agree with everyone recommending the GBA version. It's hard to go back to the SNES version.

And yes, if you can play it on the Gameboy player.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    it's not hard to go back at all. The GBA just has a couple extras and better translation, so you might as well do that.

HOWEVER, I forgot something else entirely - the PSX version has 3 FMVs you'll want to absolutely see.

An Intro, an Ending (both super badass), and an arranged thing that is just clips of the latter, I think.

So watch the intro somehow before the GBA game on GBP, then play the game, then watch the ending FMV

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    MorinokoMorinoko Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I`m currently playing the GBA version and love it. Go get it.

Morinoko on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Deusfaux wrote: »

this right here is gospel

though I'll throw out that the BEST way to play it would be to use a Gamecube + gameboy player and do the GBA version on the big screen. :)

I too thought this once, but reality dashed my dreams. GBA games aren't made with 5.1 surround sound in mind, so for whatever reason when it's playing through your GB Player there's only sound on the right side, everything else is really faint, and not much in the way of surround sound at all. So I would say the following: the most complete game is the GBA version (translation, bonus dungeons, bug fixes, etc) but the most operatic version would be the SNES with surround sound (assuming you have a surround sound setup and don't mind shelling out for a SNES and the game).

HeraldS on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I honestly can't play the GBA version. The sound is really terrible, some tracks are just ruined for me. The visuals have taken a substantial hit as well in that they've been brightened into some garish hue.

The translation and bonus areas just don't override these flaws to me.

Lucid on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucid wrote: »
    I honestly can't play the GBA version. The sound is really terrible, some tracks are just ruined for me. The visuals have taken a substantial hit as well in that they've been brightened into some garish hue.

The translation and bonus areas just don't override these flaws to me.

Yeah, it's bad. But it's not garrishly-ruins-the-experience bad. Example of the same fight (boss) music in both SNES and GBA versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHFwPKSPAs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmmX_GmHl4

You lose a lot of the lows and it sounds 'tinny', but it isn't that bad.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man, the difference is pretty noticeable side by side

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The difference is noticeable, in that the GBA version sounds lower in tone, but to it sounds primarily different, as opposed to worse.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Listening to them side by side, I think it's a lot worse.

On the other hand, I don't remember ever noticing a difference when I was actually playing the GBA version.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Listening to them side by side, I think it's a lot worse.

On the other hand, I don't remember ever noticing a difference when I was actually playing the GBA version.

Playing it side by side with my DS, it sounds better from those tiny little speakers than it does from the video. I'm not sure if that's just because I generally expect a lot from my computer speakers and not much from the DS speakers or if it's just the sound emulation in the video or what.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It could be that the GBA's little speakers just make everything sound tinny and flat anyway, and you get to expect it. It's pretty easy for me to believe my memory just filled in the gaps, since I already knew all the tunes from long hours playing the snes version.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg