As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some job search advice

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
In my tenure here, this is far from the first one of these threads I've made. I think I'm going to go about it a little differently.

My skills: Fuck all. I can type 80WPM, I can use any office program, etc, but so can everyone else. Soooo. Hm.

I'm learning programming, but it'll be years before I can do anything with that.

I can do really basic PC troubleshooting and build systems/swap out parts, etc. At one point I was pursuing an A+ cert, but I ended up not taking the test. I think I could take the test now if I had about two weeks to freshen up on it (and like $350 for the test fee)

Work Experience: I have about a year of retail experience (cashier) and another 6 months of kitchen work. Also a few months here and there of factory/warehouse type work - usually in the form of two week long temp jobs (One at Monsanto, and some at Wells Fargo computer distribution facilities - I wasn't fired or even let go or anything. We just finished the work each time. Or, in the case of Wells Fargo, they had hired us to play catch up. When we caught up, we were done)

And that's about it.

My situation right now is that I'm really, really lucky (living with my mother, which almost merits a thread by itself). But I need to move on with my life, and there are a few factors that are prohibiting me from doing so.

#1. I have no driver's license. While being perfectly capable of driving, I owe money to Progressive insurance company. They'll give me my license back if I put down about 20% on the money I owe them (~$3000), but I'm having a hard time coming up with this cash. And if I'm having a hard time coming up with $600...well, I'm gonna have a fucked up time coming up with a car payment, insurance, and gas, and continued payment on that debt each month.

#2. Because of #1, I'm limited to public transit. This would be fine in a bigger city, but here, it's pretty lame. The buses here are so unreliable that many employers in the area specifically reject them as a form of transportation.

#3. I am limited to the money I have at my own disposal. I do not have parents or friends that will lend me money. I only bring this up because I know somebody is going to say "Can't you borrow some money from your parents?" The answer is no. Flat out. No. My mother is a complicated situation and my dad/stepmom (my real parents whom I'm talking about when I say "my parents") just seem adamantly opposed to the idea.

Here's the big one:

#4. I'm a M->F trans person (which, here in the heartland, carries a lot more negative weight in the job market than I had hoped). I'm in the middle of losing a lot of weight, but I'm also starting to grow my hair out and stuff. I could go and work security in a heartbeat. I mean...I know like three places that I could walk into TODAY and get a job, if I were to do so. Trouble is, security (and many other jobs near here) seem to have this "professional appearance" clause in their ads and such. For you trans forumers, will my carry letter help with this at all? Do I have any options with this whatsoever?

I'm looking for suggestions here. My immediate thought was that I need to find a bike. But it looks like the money I was saving for that (once again) has to go towards other things.

At this moment, I have $70 to my name. Help.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If something's preventing you from presenting a professional appearance, that's the first thing that needs to be addressed. There's nothing about being a transperson that should prevent you from being able to dress and act professionally.

If there are three places you think you could walk into tomorrow and do the work/get hired, man, walk in! The worst they can do is not hire you.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, how is it that an insurance company is holding your license? That seems really odd. Can you expand on that a bit?

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The state I'm in (Iowa) apparently has shared liability for owners and operators of vehicles. I was doing a favor for my aunt. She neglected to mention that her car was uninsured. I got in a minor wreck with a very shiny new truck, and I was fined ~$700 for the lack of insurance and another $3200 for the damages to the truck. How it came to be $3200 is way beyond me, since I was doing 15MPH at best and the only visible damage to the truck was some major scuffing on the back end and a missing piece of fiberglass no bigger than my hand.

Anyway, I can't remember what they called it, but the insurance company decided that, to recoup their losses, they'd just charge me the money for the repairs. So they assessed a $3200 debt and, when I failed to make regular payments on it, they had my license suspended.

On the subject of "professional appearance and behavior," yeah. I can behave professionally. I have a certain code of conduct I follow at work, and it serves me well. BUT (around here at least) "professional appearance" means proper dress PLUS short hair on men, whatever for women.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Much as it sucks, it sounds like you need to go grind out some hours in a kitchen again, save as much money as you can, and get your car issue sorted out so you can be more mobile and open up some new opportunities.

spool32 on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    if you can type that fast you should look into 911 call takers. Generally 911 centers are located near public transportation.

CooterTKE on