As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Just FYI

nobody over here gives a shit about MBEs or OBEs or whatever

there is a list every year and plenty of people get the

Civil Servants get them after a designated amount of time just for doing their job

it is no big deal

• Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    That looks really damn good. So Image is publishing it?

Yup, monthly ongoing series starting in September from Image Shadowline.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Just FYI

Civil Servants get them after a designated amount of time just for doing their job

it is no big deal

I missed a post I think, cause I dunno what this means! which post is this referencing!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Just FYI

it is no big deal

I missed a post I think, cause I dunno what this means! which post is this referencing!

Mark Millar is receiving an MBE.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    ICv2: Comic Sales in 2012 Best of the Millennium
    The North American market for comics, including periodical comics, graphic novels, and digital, totaled $750 million in 2012, up from $665 million in 2011, a 13% increase.

There were dramatic changes in sales of every format. Digital sales nearly tripled, to around $70 million, or around 9% of the total market, from $25 million in 2011. This growth appears to be helping, rather than hurting, the growth in print, as we have been predicting for years (see "Why Digital Comics Are Different?").

Print sales, at $680 million, were back to 2009 levels, recovering from a tough couple of years after the crash of the world economy in 2008 and the collapse of the Borders bookstore chain in 2011. Unless things change dramatically in the second half of the year, 2013 will see the full recovery of the print market to levels above 2007 and 2008, the top years since 2000.

Sales of comic periodicals boomed, increasing 15% behind DC's "New 52" and the beginning of the Marvel NOW! initiative, as well as strong sales from Image Comics and IDW Publishing, to around $345 million. There was also strength among smaller comic companies.

• Options
    Oh, and check this out:

ICv2: Top 10 Superhero Properties--Spring 2013
    This chart of the ICv2 "Top 10 Superhero Properties" reflects sales in all channels for Spring 2013. The "Top 10" chart is based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers.

1 - Batman - DC Comics
    2 - X-Men - Marvel Comics
    3 - Superman - DC Comics
    4 - The Avengers - Marvel Comics
    5 - Justice League - DC Comics
    6 - Iron Man - Marvel Comics
    7 - Hawkeye - Marvel Comics
    8 - Spider-Man - Marvel Comics
    9 - Green Lantern - DC Comics
    10 - Kick-Ass - Marvel Comics

Hawkeye beat Spider-Man.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    A first I was all Joey Lawrence whoa, but then I realized Spring 2013, that's pretty finite. So you have Hawkeye's trades coming out and possibly very strong online sales, and Spider-Man is firmly in the ock stuff without the boost from the 700 issue and relaunch.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A first I was all Joey Lawrence whoa, but then I realized Spring 2013, that's pretty finite. So you have Hawkeye's trades coming out and possibly very strong online sales, and Spider-Man is firmly in the ock stuff without the boost from the 700 issue and relaunch.

Spider-man needs to rely on anniversary issues and relaunches to beat Hawkeye now? o_O

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yes he does; the revolution is upon us, etc.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Oh, and check this out:

ICv2: Top 10 Superhero Properties--Spring 2013
    This chart of the ICv2 "Top 10 Superhero Properties" reflects sales in all channels for Spring 2013. The "Top 10" chart is based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers.

1 - Batman - DC Comics
    2 - X-Men - Marvel Comics
    3 - Superman - DC Comics
    4 - The Avengers - Marvel Comics
    5 - Justice League - DC Comics
    6 - Iron Man - Marvel Comics
    7 - Hawkeye - Marvel Comics
    8 - Spider-Man - Marvel Comics
    9 - Green Lantern - DC Comics
    10 - Kick-Ass - Marvel Comics

Hawkeye beat Spider-Man.

As great as Hawkeye's spot at #7 is, it's sad that Kick-Ass' ranking doesn't have another 0 behind it.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Well, it can't be denied that Mark Millar knows how to make things that get sold.

And Kick-Ass, for all its...qualities...certainly did get garner a great deal of media attention as being a new 'thing' in the medium, or something.

Although I still place most of Kick-Ass's success at the feet of John Romita Jr.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Well, it can't be denied that Mark Millar knows how to make things that get sold.

And Kick-Ass, for all its...qualities...certainly did get garner a great deal of media attention as being a new 'thing' in the medium, or something.

Although I still place most of Kick-Ass's success at the feet of John Romita Jr.

The movie probably helped.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    OH MAN

wpM1s6O.jpg

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    yes i am down.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Spider-man needs to rely on anniversary issues and relaunches to beat Hawkeye now? o_O

also Hawkeye has one title

Spider-Man has Superior and Avenging if you only count his books, and Scarlet and Venom on top of that if they're counting Spider-family

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Some art from Samurai Jack #1, coming in October.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I feel like the plot of that comic is kind of a waste. Ill buy it anyway on the off chance they want to give the show a proper ending.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    It's supposed to be a continuation from where it left off, so it might?
    Samurai Jack #1 (of 5) — GEM OF THE MONTH (OCT)
    Jim Zub (w) • Andy Suriano (a & c)

Cartoon Network’s hit animated series is back at IDW! The legendary samurai known only as ‘Jack’ is stranded in a strange future ruled by the demonic wizard, Aku. His quest to return back to the past has tested him many times, but now the stakes are higher than ever. Can an ancient relic known as the Rope of Eons finally take him home? Writer Jim Zub (Skullkickers, Street Fighter) and artist Andy Suriano (Character Designer on the original Samurai Jack TV series) begin a new era of samurai adventure!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points
    • JACK IS BACK! Returning to the comic book pages in a new series that picks off where things left off!
    • Subscription variant covers by show creator Genndy Tartakovsky!
    • Variant Rob Guillory cover!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nah the plot is another Jack fights for a time travel Macguffin. From a fans perspective its kind of pointless. The show states how he gets home its how he gets to that point that should be explored

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I just want to reiterate that everyone should read that.

• Options
    Dennis Culver has posted his earlier tweetings about artist pay rates and turnaround in a properly readable format.

http://dennisculver.tumblr.com/post/56936843972/mouthing-off-on-twitter-again

• Options
    With a little extrapolation , that also concludes that Greg Land owes Google Image search half his pay.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dennis Culver has posted his earlier tweetings about artist pay rates and turnaround in a properly readable format.

http://dennisculver.tumblr.com/post/56936843972/mouthing-off-on-twitter-again

Man, is there any industry that doesn't treat their employees like shit?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    No.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Haha agreed.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Matt Fraction is doing an AMA (starting now-ish, because he's stuck on an outline): http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/1jsrze/i_am_matt_fraction_i_write_comic_books_ama/

He's also trying to get his collaborators to pop in! Matt Hollingsworth is answering questions, and both Chip Zdarsky and Annie Wu are dropping by sometime. Allred/Aja still unconfirmed.

K16IBt7.png

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    That's much improved by having read a week or two of Wil Wheaton and Warren Ellis' Tumblr faux-feud.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    That pixel Blue Beetle is awesome though.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    That's much improved by having read a week or two of Wil Wheaton and Warren Ellis' Tumblr faux-feud.
    i honestly didnt think that there would be a part two

glorious

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    bRDLDor.png

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    n9O0Fvk.png

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    bRDLDor.png

I tried googling Sexual Gary

I don't know what I was expecting

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That was certainly not what I was expecting.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    bRDLDor.png

I tried googling Sexual Gary

I don't know what I was expecting

This photo will haunt my dreams.
    tumblr_meblyszqj71rj7j8qo1_1280.png

• Options
    I asked Matt what was up with Iron Fist, but he didn't answer :(

• Options
    I knew from following Kate Leth on twitter that she'd organized some secret society of women who work in comic shops but that was all I knew about it because I am neither a woman nor do I work in a comic shop.

Apparently they call themselves The Valkyries and they have decided to emerge from the shadows to show off how much they all love Saga (the answer is "a lot").

http://bewarethevalkyries.tumblr.com/post/57669356309/the-valkyries-have-one-thing-in-common-and-that
    https://www.imagecomics.com/content/view/thousands-of-saga-fans-cant-be-wrong
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/08/lying-2/

• Options
    And his and McFarlane’s arguments, of course, ignore that superheroes don’t actually exist, and that the production of superhero comics is not actually a biological function determined by whatever bodies we’re born with. A lack of equality in the nobility’s ranks in the medieval military hasn’t kept Tamora Pierce from writing dozens of fantasy novels involving female knights, because that is a thing that you can do in fiction. If superheroes actually existed, and their ranks were exclusively male, writing fantastical fiction to consider how women might handle that sort of power, and how the world might react to their use of it would be a perfectly legitimate subject for superhero fiction to explore. And having two X chromosomes hasn’t actually kept women like Gail Simone from writing wonderful characters of both sexes for decades–nor has possession of a Y chromosome kept men like Dan Slott and Jeff Parker from doing well by characters like She-Hulk and Red She-Hulk. The decision to stay within the narrow lanes of your own fantasies is a choice, not biological determinism.

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2013/08/08/2433121/legendary-superhero-creators-the-comics-follow-society-they-dont-lead-suggest-women-look-elsewhere/

• Options
    I thought this was interesting: Newsarama reports that DC returned to the top of the Market Share chart for July, with Superman Unchained the top-selling title, Batman: Zero Year at number two, and DC had 6 of the 7 bestselling titles for the month.

However, they barely beat Marvel for Retail Market Share (32.50 % to 32.34 %) and lost on Unit Market Share (Marvel had 36.47 % to DCs 34.07%)

To me that seems like Marvel has got a lot more depth to their library, with their average sales per title better than DC's once you get beyond the handful of big names.

http://www.newsarama.com/18633-dc-returns-to-top-of-july-2013-comics-sales-charts-in-strong-month-overall.html

• Options
    Heck, even the we make comics for 45 year olds thing wouldn't be so bad, it's just that their idea of adult, is what a teenager thinks is adult.

This discussion has been closed.