As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resistance 3 -- Gabe: "One of the best shooters I've played"

2»

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm getting Space Marine today, so I won't be doing a day 1 purchase of Resistance. But I'm definitely interested in the game. I love the first one. (Hated the second since they removed campaign co-op. And their halo style weapon swapping was retarded too. And a bunch of other complaints. Basically lets just pretend Resistance 2 never happened).

I'll probably wait for some reviews on this before picking it up.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    I picked up R1 before being assimilated by the FPS crowd (curse you MAG!) because of my love for R&C. Never played coop or the online (was way late to the party anyway) and found the experience to be pretty meh inducing. Because of this I skipped on R2 but I have put in a few hours into the R3 beta.

I like the bullet damage in that it's not nearly the twitch reflex hell that BLOPs is but the guns didn't feel balanced. I found the shotgun spread to be far too random and in close range it could take anywhere from 1-4 shots to bring down my target. Of course lag could have been a factor (my victim wasn't as close as I had thought.) The carbine seemed to be my most comfortable weapon (even thought the bayonet sucked) but my only top of the board ribbons came from the fareye, which is surprising because normally I'm an awful sniper. Basically if I'm good with it, I assume that means it's overpowered :P. I didn't get a chance to use the atomizer but the wielders were always the bane of my existence. They were also the people with higher levels / more hours logged so can't really say if it's a balance problem or just lack of experience.

I much prefer class-based, objective gameplay so I'll be giving this a pass especially since I've already been blackmailed into pre-ordering BF3. I do have high hopes for Overstrike but that's a fair bit away.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    IGN's review is up, for whatever that's worth.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    The second one was pretty fun in SP, except for those damned nano-locusts. I'm interested in this one too.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I'm not really a fan of shooters, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit (in the 3 hours I played last night.) The enemies come in just the right amount without being totally overwhelming, you can kill them all (which made me drop CoD games) and I really like how the weapons are different enough that you HAVE to switch between them, sometimes multiple times a fight, to get the most bang for your buck. In most other shooters I just find the one gun I like and stick with it all the way through. Hard to do that here.

The story is alright, but I think they did a great job of conveying a mood in Haven without being totally condescending. I don't multiplayer, so I can't speak to that.

Over all, I think this is a game I will finish and that is not something I do very often anymore.

• Options
    evilive72evilive72 TexasRegistered User regular
    Im really enjoying it so far. The encounters seem pretty balanced without being too easy and the story does a good job of drawing you in a bit at the beginning. I still cant tell if the graphics are actually quite a bit better from R2 or if I just hated the environments in R2 so much that anything is a step up.

Nintendo Network ID: Strummer72
    XBL Gamertag: evilive7
    Playstation ID: evilive7
    3DS: 4699-7349-0534
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    The graphics are significantly more polished. Animations especially.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i picked this up too, but its currently downloading a 650mb patch so... impressions to come i guess. if anyone wants to do some multiplayer later we should get a group going.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Hey, could someone please tell me how good the audio quality of this game is? I need a PS3 game with good accustic quality to test my new 5.1 surround speakers and I heard that Resistance 2 was good in that regard. Is Resistance 3 good as well? If not other suggestions are welcome, of course.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    anyone who wants to shoot mans message me tonight!

• Options
    doesnt seem to be much interest round here, but for what its worth im really enjoying this so far. the single player is quite nice and atmospheric, and the multi is a lot of fun.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I found Resistance 1 to be about as fun as filling out an excel spreadsheet. Needless to say I never finished it. Also, I never played Resistance 2. Any chance I would like Resistance 3? Or is it basically more of the same repetitive, tedious crap from the first game? I'd really like a good new shooter to play.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BebopSamuraiBebopSamurai Registered User regular
    Finished this last night.

Lemme start off by saying I have never really gotten into the Resistance games. R1 bored me to tears, R2 was... okay and while it basically just straight-up adopted the Halo design formula, I liked its refreshingly broad color palatte (and the rather ballsy ending). Resistance 3... well, I only meant to play for a couple hours when I bought it tuesday... and ended up marathoning the whole thing in about 2 nights.

Honestly? I really liked it-- way more than I thought I could like a Resistance game.
    PROS

- An actual sense of atmosphere! Despite all the bad stuff a-goin' down in R1, it all just felt too plastic to care about. But this... this has a real, weighty sense of mood and place, and it's remarkably well-thought out, even in little details. This might be the best-realized vision of a post-alien occupation Earth I personally have seen in a game since "Half-Life 2." It's clear they've taken some cues from "Metro 2033" as well, which is alright with me.

- Has a great sense of balance between modern and old-school FPS design! By which i mean there's plenty of on-the-rails, setpiece heavy guided sequences, but the actual gameplay feels closer to... not quite Serious Sam, but something a tad closer to Painkiller maybe. No auto-aim, limited health, the ability to hold more than two weapons, a wide range of enemy types... firefights are often really tense but varied and quite satisfying, especially when you're down to a few ticks of health and need to rush some Chimera with a random Health Pack on it.

- All the weapons matter! There were some I favored more than others, but I ended up switching between the majority of them regularly-- the game does a good job encouraging you to experiment because A) clips are kinda small, B) ammo is kinda scarce and C) some clearly work better on certain enemy types, but none are 'immune' to any kind of weapon. All of them are interesting, and all of them have their reasonable pluses and minuses.

- A good progression system! You don't level up yourself, but your guns get XP based on how often you use them! It's actually really satsifying when you're taking out a bunch of enemies with your weapon of choice, and suddenly BAM! It gets better!

- Some suprisingly effective, emotional moments!

- Joe >>> Hale! Okay this is more personal than anything, but GOD I did not give ONE WHIT about Nathan Hale. Not that Joe is incredibly deep or anything like that, but he at least has a PERSONAL motivation and people he cares about and has actual HAIR. I got invested in his story a bit, which is more than I can say for his predecessor.

CONS

- Brown again! Though at least this time it feels more like the palatte is deliberately chosen to reinforce the mood, and it's at least not like the unholy earth-tone mess that was Killzone 2, where everything blends together in such a grimy mess that you can't see what the hell you're supposed to be shooting at.

- Putting important plot/world info on collectables! The Giantbomb review covered this, but it's still an obnoxious design choice.

- No two-player online! Okay it's not like you see this often, but it woulda been nice. R2's co-op not being here is kinda lame too, but not really a deal-breaker for me.

So yeah, overall pretty good, or at least better than it had any right to be. Really hoping they find the happy medium between this and R&C for Overstrike.

Gamertag: DrinksYurMlkshk
    PSN ID: suzukaGongen
  • Options

- No two-player online! Okay it's not like you see this often, but it woulda been nice. R2's co-op not being here is kinda lame too, but not really a deal-breaker for me

wait there is two player online... you can play the entire story co-op. unless you mean something else?

• Options
    BebopSamuraiBebopSamurai Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote:

- No two-player online! Okay it's not like you see this often, but it woulda been nice. R2's co-op not being here is kinda lame too, but not really a deal-breaker for me

wait there is two player online... you can play the entire story co-op. unless you mean something else?

Oh, I meant regular splitscreen MP online. Figured the co-op also had an online function but never checked, so that's good to know!

Gamertag: DrinksYurMlkshk
    PSN ID: suzukaGongen
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I enjoyed both R1 and R2 so I'll definitely pick this up sometime. But I'm waiting till its $45 or less due to my massive backlog. (The disappointing multi-player changes means this is no longer a day one)

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Still waiting for it to be released in local shops (I no longer live in the city). It seems to be gaining quite good reviews, hell even penny arcade has implied that it is a bit of all right. More guns, less set pieces/more sandbox shooting.
    Should be a good one.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    jumping on, if anyone wants to co-op or multiplayer this thing

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finished this last night.

Lemme start off by saying I have never really gotten into the Resistance games. R1 bored me to tears, R2 was... okay and while it basically just straight-up adopted the Halo design formula, I liked its refreshingly broad color palatte (and the rather ballsy ending). Resistance 3... well, I only meant to play for a couple hours when I bought it tuesday... and ended up marathoning the whole thing in about 2 nights.

Honestly? I really liked it-- way more than I thought I could like a Resistance game.
    PROS

- An actual sense of atmosphere! Despite all the bad stuff a-goin' down in R1, it all just felt too plastic to care about. But this... this has a real, weighty sense of mood and place, and it's remarkably well-thought out, even in little details. This might be the best-realized vision of a post-alien occupation Earth I personally have seen in a game since "Half-Life 2." It's clear they've taken some cues from "Metro 2033" as well, which is alright with me.

- Has a great sense of balance between modern and old-school FPS design! By which i mean there's plenty of on-the-rails, setpiece heavy guided sequences, but the actual gameplay feels closer to... not quite Serious Sam, but something a tad closer to Painkiller maybe. No auto-aim, limited health, the ability to hold more than two weapons, a wide range of enemy types... firefights are often really tense but varied and quite satisfying, especially when you're down to a few ticks of health and need to rush some Chimera with a random Health Pack on it.

- All the weapons matter! There were some I favored more than others, but I ended up switching between the majority of them regularly-- the game does a good job encouraging you to experiment because A) clips are kinda small, B) ammo is kinda scarce and C) some clearly work better on certain enemy types, but none are 'immune' to any kind of weapon. All of them are interesting, and all of them have their reasonable pluses and minuses.

- A good progression system! You don't level up yourself, but your guns get XP based on how often you use them! It's actually really satsifying when you're taking out a bunch of enemies with your weapon of choice, and suddenly BAM! It gets better!

- Some suprisingly effective, emotional moments!

- Joe >>> Hale! Okay this is more personal than anything, but GOD I did not give ONE WHIT about Nathan Hale. Not that Joe is incredibly deep or anything like that, but he at least has a PERSONAL motivation and people he cares about and has actual HAIR. I got invested in his story a bit, which is more than I can say for his predecessor.

CONS

- Brown again! Though at least this time it feels more like the palatte is deliberately chosen to reinforce the mood, and it's at least not like the unholy earth-tone mess that was Killzone 2, where everything blends together in such a grimy mess that you can't see what the hell you're supposed to be shooting at.

- Putting important plot/world info on collectables! The Giantbomb review covered this, but it's still an obnoxious design choice.

- No two-player online! Okay it's not like you see this often, but it woulda been nice. R2's co-op not being here is kinda lame too, but not really a deal-breaker for me.

So yeah, overall pretty good, or at least better than it had any right to be. Really hoping they find the happy medium between this and R&C for Overstrike.

Would I need to have played through R1 and R2 before I play R3? Or can I skip those two and go straight to R3 and understand what is going on?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I had played barely any of R1 and R2 ( the first couple of levels) but I just went straight into R3 after reading the wikipedia plot summaries of the other two games. There's a cut scene at the beginning that kind of explains most of what happened, but I would read the wikis to get a little more on the characters.

R3 is a blast, the story seems really good so far, and I know the point has been repeated, but the guns are really good fun, everything feels useful. Lately I've been suprised by a lot of games in a very good way. Killzone 3 looked amazing and was fun and varied for its campaign, Dead Island is great fun co-op, and Resistance 3 is a fun thinking-mans shooter. I hope this good streak of games carries on to Christmas.

• Options
    Looks like patch 1.03 (fixing framerate/lag online) was a bit delayed

• Options
    1.03 is out now, i do believe

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    My friend bought this and I've been watching him play through it. I like that they brought back the health pack system from 1. and the first area of the game has that brown that resistance 1 had.

He hasn't gotten into the mp stuff yet, hes kinda trophy tracking in single player still after beating it.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    when did gaben endorse the game?

corio2.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I want this very badly but so many games out right now, something had to give. I'll pick this up later on sale. Hey at least the very nice lady at the local GameStop just handed me the pre-order bonus unprompted when I went in to pick up my 35 dollar copy of Space Marine.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Halfhand wrote:
    when did gaben Gabe of Gabe and Tycho endorse the game?
    Week ago on his twitter.

JAEF on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    For those of you that have been using Global Resistance you can now link your PSN account.

It is a bit wonky though. The Bloody Hell cheat didn't unlock for me but all the multiplayer skins and titles (including Rachel Parker whom I don't remember getting) are there.

• Options
    ive been playing through this again on the hardest difficulty and for the entire second half of the game ive been completely invisible to all the enemies. no one attacks me, even if i get right in their face and shoot at them and such. its bizarre, but i guess its making getting the last couple trophies easier. its a shame, because up until now i was highly enjoying this game. the multiplayer is pretty broken though, so i guess once i finish out the single player stuff im done.

anyway, pretty good game overall.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Resistance 3 is an immense amount of fun. I'm sure others have commented on it but the levels are sand-boxy with a couple of paths through them. You tend to have a wide range of weapons that like ratchet and clank are fir for different purposes. In many ways it is similar to halo 1 single player except the levels are 3 dimensional and include elevations and buildings to fight from/assault.

It's pretty fricking cool Sandbox arenas (even literally an arena) with multiple guns requiring different tactics. The single health bar adds a element of having to move to get the health pickups, I'd forgotten what this simple mechanic does. There is no more hiding to reload and recover your health ala gears of war or killzone 3.

I'm amazed at how nuanced the single player combat is, although some of the later levels in NY (yet not in the chimera faculty) tend to place one shot rocket luncher or sniper chimera against you.

And really resistance 3 does people eking out an existence under the boot of an invader better than Homefront. All in all a pretty bloody good show by insomniac after the cinematic railroad resistance 2 was. They actually made a game this time while including a cinematic aspirations.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I finally grabbed a copy of this. I'm surprised there's so little talk, as the game has been nothing short of fantastic so far.

BebopSamurai has it spot on that they've taken cues from Half Life 2 and Metro 2033. The atmosphere is phenomenal. And they managed to fit some gameplay in their cinematic moments. The run to safety with a Widowmaker fighting above you was tense.

I'm really glad they went back to using monochrome artwork for some cutscenes as well as mixing in in engine scenes like from Resistance 2. The extra year of development time really paid off.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Thread.... Rise from the grave!

I finally got around to playing this game after Platinuming Batman and Dark Souls. Its very fun, (the weapons are great, especially when you level them up) I've already beaten the single player on normal and dabbled in the online. I'm going back now and beating the game on Superhuman. I just wish I had someone to play coop with, its a shame this game seems to have received so little attention.

Only real negatives for me is that co-op doesn't have a matchmaking service, can only play with online friends or split screen and mutiplayer games often have imbalanced teams, needs (better?) auto balancing.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Resistance 3 is $30 at amazon now, so I finally ordered it yesterday. Looking forward to playing through it, I enjoyed 1 and 2 - particularly the variety of weapons.

• Options
    Heh in order to get the two coop trophies I'm considering trying to teach my 8 or 6 year old to use the move controller to shoot baddies on easy mode. (Does this make me a bad Dad?) I've heard good things about the move controls in this game, but I have yet to try since I usually prefer controllers.

• Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    If it wasn't for KZ3, I would rate this the top FPS on PS3 for 2011. The Move controls work really well and the environments have a great amount of variety. It's nice to play a modern FPS with multiple weapons again, too.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace