As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thread: Now with the Great Penny Arcade Build Gallery Project!

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    460 SE are not worth it. Get a regular 460 1GB model like this.

Hm, ordered that one I linked yesterday - not sure what the difference is though, except that it looks like the MSI one has been factory overclocked and that it'd also be about 30-40ish dollars more. Is the SE way different or something?

48 fewer CUDA cores. This comparison has it benched against the GTX 460.

Djeet on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    460 SE are not worth it. Get a regular 460 1GB model like this.

Hm, ordered that one I linked yesterday - not sure what the difference is though, except that it looks like the MSI one has been factory overclocked and that it'd also be about 30-40ish dollars more. Is the SE way different or something?

48 fewer CUDA cores. This comparison has it benched against the GTX 460.

Oh snaps my cores D:. Thanks for the link, I had no idea. Gonna read that and see what's up. Bloody graphics cards! What's the long and the short of it, if you don't mind?

Edit - nevermind...
    ...Significantly lower performance than GTX 460 768 MB...
    Oh well, we'll see what's up when it gets here.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's not necessarily a bad video card, it could be perfectly adequate for your needs and a significant upgrade from what you had, it's just that most people who buy the 460 "SE" don't realize what it is.

"What have we here? It's cheaper than a regular 460 1GB, and it has SE in the name. That must stand for Special Edition or something. What a find!"

And then you discover that the "Special" part is as in "Special Olympics."

I almost did this myself until someone in the last build thread warned me off.

But again, for what you want out of a card it could be a perfectly fine buy. Assess it once it arrived and see if its performance meets your needs, and if it does don't worry about it being a "gimped" card or anything like that.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Gaslight. I'm of two minds really. I'll most likely toss it in to see what it ends up doing - which I assume should be a good deal coming from my 8800GT.

But I just got my refund check, and the temptation to blow it on a new rig entirely is pretty strong. I know I should be sensible and invest it in expensive whisky and cheap women, but maybe I'll treat myself just this once...

firewaterword on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I posted a thread earlier today determining that my old GPU is indeed fried so right now im looking to build a new PC for around $600 while still keeping the old one running.

Here are the old specs:
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R Mobo
    Corsair G Skill 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM
    Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU
    EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb GPU
    WD 250Gb HDD 7200RPM
    WD 500Gb HDD 5400RPM
    WD 1Tb HDD 5400RPM
    XCLIO Stablepower 500W PSU

So first, to keep the old computer running: can I use any sort cheap ($40) GPU to have it run normally minus games? Perhaps this card?

Can I reuse my old PSU in a new machine if I plan on running something like an HD 6870, including the possibility of eventually picking up another card to run in tandem? If so, what kind of basic PSU should I throw in the old box?

Should I look into a small SSD to run my OS on in the new PC, or will the old 250gb at 7200rpm be suitable?

Next, for building the new PC: If I pick up an HD 6870, what sort of processor will suit it well? In my old box I often found the CPU throttled gameplay and normal use much more than the GPU ever did. I know I want to get a quad core, but I have no sense of the naming system they use anymore of what will suit my needs.

Also re: RAM: is 6gb DDR3 too much? Will 4gb still be sufficient?

Also @Hardtarget the wire-free case youre using is incredibly enticing, I'm very stongly considering dropping the extra cash for something so nice.

Sorry about all the questions, I've been out of the market for so long I don't recognize anything anymore.

Squall on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    4GB of RAM is all you'll need for any of the current generation of games, more than enough really. There's nothing wrong with having more but you won't really make use of it unless you're into doing a lot of high-quality image or video editing and stuff like that.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    dexterdexter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    dexter, you might want to look a couple pages back at Alecthar's take on the Antec 300 and his choices for cost comparable alternatives.

Thanks dude, I had a look. The place I'm buying from don't have that model... Could you recommended anything else from here

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25_547

for around the same price? ~$65. Should I just go for another Coolermaster?

Something like the CoolerMaster Elite 370 with window look alright.

dexter on
    3694663-1.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ormuss wrote: »
    My online store of choice (NCIX) finally has the LGA1155 motherboards back in stock.

NCIX has been claiming to have P67/1155 motherboards in before they actually have the stock so I wouldn't assume this is the case. They're still giving me the run around even though I ordered the P8P67 Pro and was charged last Thursday and the forums indicate I'm far from the only one.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Throwing out a random question here: is it feasible to build an ITX rig without an internal DVD drive, then install Windows by either a USB flash drive or an external DVD drive? I want to build a new ITX rig and I honestly don't need a DVD drive at all times.

Ive already Googled some info on copying the Win7 install DVD to a flash drive (USB) or booting to BIOS, changing drive boot order, then restarting (DVD) but am not 100% confident in this path and am interested in anecdotal evidence in either direction.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It was goddamn expensive, but I upgraded my PSU and from a pair of 8800GT to a pair of GTX 470. It's a big fucking step, to put it mildly.

And, as everyone else said, Crysis on Ultra High is a bizarre, eye-widening experience.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hey guys, I'm relatively new to the whole "picking all the parts and then assembling them" thing, I was wondering what you all thought of this build(that has been heavily influenced by this thread!)

CASE:Corsair Graphite Series 600T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case-$145

CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K-$220

MOBO:ASUS P8P67-M PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2200 Micro ATX Motherboard-[STRIKE]$172(it was only $150 on newegg but they're out of stock >:|)[/STRIKE] oh shit never mind a different seller had it for $150

PSU:CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply-$65

RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL-$55

GPU:EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card-$260

BD:LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Reader Model iHOS104-06 - OEM-$50

DISPLAY:ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1-$190(yes I know snake-oil snake-oil blah blah)

HD:SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive-$65

MOUSE:Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse-$70

KEYBOARD:Steelseries 6Gv2 Gaming Keyboard-$100(same as with the mobo, newegg was sold out)

I thiiink that's everything but am I missing anything or are there any problems with this?

it's got to be everything, I don't have anything I can use here, not even speakers.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hey guys, I'm relatively new to the whole "picking all the parts and then assembling them" thing, I was wondering what you all thought of this build(that has been heavily influenced by this thread!)
    it's got to be everything, I don't have anything I can use here, not even speakers.

I'd say the only snake oil stuff here is the Keyboard and Mouse; I think mine combined were $50 or so and serve me well. Since I'm not as abreast of those items as I am the rig itself

INCOMPLETE, will finish tonight, sorry valvejunkie

Cutting costs: Case, Keyboard, Mouse
    Other changes: GPU (GTX 470 -> 560/6870/6950; mATX motherboard -> ATX)

$242 - Intel i5-2500k + Cooler Master Hyper 212+

$150 - Corsair TX650 V2 80-Bronze PSU + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD [$20 MIR]

Zoelef on
  • Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PantsB wrote: »
    Ormuss wrote: »
    My online store of choice (NCIX) finally has the LGA1155 motherboards back in stock.

NCIX has been claiming to have P67/1155 motherboards in before they actually have the stock so I wouldn't assume this is the case. They're still giving me the run around even though I ordered the P8P67 Pro and was charged last Thursday and the forums indicate I'm far from the only one.

Sonnuva...

Maybe I'll wait a few more days then. See if they change their stock listing at the very least.

Nobody commented on my build, so I assume it's 100% perfect and will do everything I ever wanted! ;-)
    No, but seriously, if anyone thinks of anything to comment on, feel free to hit me with it. :)

Ormuss on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pulled the trigger on the following last night (a few beers helped simplify the deliberation process...):

- Corsair 600T
    - HIS HD6590 2GB GPU
    - Antec 650W PSU

I'd planned to get a HAF-912 case, but it wasn't going to ship from amazon until next week, and I want all this junk by friday, since I'm outro on business for a while come Wednesday. And I'd like to obliterate the weekend in a Shogun 2 haze.

I'm going to see what kind of performance I get with the E8500, then go from there. I've read conflicting things, but it looks like it won't bottleneck things toooo much at 1680x1050. I've got a +212 cooler on it, but haven't messed around with OC'ing yet. I hear the E8500 is a good chip for that, so I might give it a shot. The internet says my Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L mobo should be cool with it.

I'll probably snag a 1920x1200 monitor, ram, mobo, and cpu (and maybe a new PSU, depending. I can always put the 650w in what's going to turn into my HTPC) at a later date, depending on how things perform.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    :D thanks so much zoelef! that puts me under budget!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I think every board maker but mine has gotten their p67s back out to retail. bastards

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Guys. Wanted to let everyone know that Microcenter.com is having a deal. When you buy a certain processor you get a select motherboard for free.

Linkage

battledrill on

edited March 2011

It is also much better cooling. The stock heatsink for the 2500K was pitiful. At stock settings I was getting up to 65c at load. With a custom heatsink/fan I never go above 53c at load OC'd at 4.4GHZ currently.

Shens on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Guys. Wanted to let everyone know that Microcenter.com is having a deal. When you buy a certain processor you get a select motherboard for free.

Linkage
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=18671738#post18671738

It's been posted, but thanks for the reminder :^: Still a great deal for those looking for a cheap but capable upgrade.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Shens wrote: »

It is also much better cooling. The stock heatsink for the 2500K was pitiful. At stock settings I was getting up to 65c at load. With a custom heatsink/fan I never go above 53c at load OC'd at 4.4GHZ currently.

yeah, I was going to wait to overclock until I got a different heatsink and look! a different heatsink!
    he said to get a full ATX motherboard, so what do you guys think of this one?

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part of me wants to hit up that microcenter deal. But the smart part of me knows that I'll probably burn more gas in the 2-3 hour drive than I'll "save" so.... Also traffic.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shens wrote: »

yeah, I was going to wait to overclock until I got a different heatsink and look! a different heatsink!
    he said to get a full ATX motherboard, so what do you guys think of this one?

I have a standard P8P67 and it works great. I had issues when it was first released because it shipped with a version of the BIOS that didn't exist on their website. It wouldn't keep memory speeds and would constantly double POST. I updated the BIOS and it was fine. The new B3 revisions all ship with the most recent version.

I recently RMA'd my release board and picked up the B3 revision. It works great right out of the box.

I think the LE will not do SLI (It should do crossfire just fine). The onboard NIC is a Realtek instead of an Intel (PRO uses Intel). I had a few issues with the Realtek NIC disconnecting randomly, but after updating the drivers (with the latest from Realtek's site) it has been working great.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    alright, I'll grab the PRO then. thanks!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part of me wants to hit up that microcenter deal. But the smart part of me knows that I'll probably burn more gas in the 2-3 hour drive than I'll "save" so.... Also traffic.

2-3 hours?!?? Yeah, you'd be much better off buying stuff off amazon with free shipping and no tax. Heck even Newegg would probably be at least a comparable deal.

At $4.00 a gallon, you'd need to be really close to make that deal worth it.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Where was I? Ah yes. Ch-ch-ch-changes I'd make:

$250 - MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr
    $155 - Cooler Master HAF912 + Win7 Home Premium OEM
    $150 - Corsair TX650 V2 80-Bronze PSU + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD [$20 MIR][/QUOTE]
    $150 - Asus P8P67-PRO
    $43* - 4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 (no real-world boost from > 1333 on 2500k chip)

Other notes:
    • A 650W PSU should be enough for dual 560s if you go down that path, but I wouldn't dare go lower.
    • dexter, on second thought you could probably go for an Antec Neo ECO 520W over a 620W since you're not overclocking the i5-2500.
    • Don't spend $170 on your KB + Mouse. At least, not right away.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

2-3 hours?!?? Yeah, you'd be much better off buying stuff off amazon with free shipping and no tax. Heck even Newegg would probably be at least a comparable deal.

At $4.00 a gallon, you'd need to be really close to make that deal worth it.

And I totally drive like an asshole, in the bay area, and use expensive gas!

But yeah, pretty much. Grabbed a free month trial of prime, so anything more I'm buying is coming from amazon. Per usual, really.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Zoelef wrote: »

I'd say the only snake oil stuff here is the Keyboard and Mouse; I think mine combined were $50 or so and serve me well. Since I'm not as abreast of those items as I am the rig itself

INCOMPLETE, will finish tonight, sorry valvejunkie

Cutting costs: Case, Keyboard, Mouse
    Other changes: GPU (GTX 470 -> 560/6870/6950; mATX motherboard -> ATX)

Where was I?

Ah yes.

[/QUOTE]

man, on the one hand this has me down to around $1100 total, but on the other hand the antec 600T looks so nice. ahh what to do D:

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

$150 - Asus P8P67-PRO

Other notes:
    • A 650W PSU should be enough for dual 560s if you go down that path, but I wouldn't dare go lower.
    • dexter, on second thought you could probably go for an Antec Neo ECO 520W over a 620W since you're not overclocking the i5-2500.

man, on the one hand this has me down to around $1100 total, but on the other hand the antec 600T looks so nice. ahh what to do D:

When my computer is turned on I primarily look at:
    (a) my case
    (b) my monitor

Seriously, I own an Antec 1200 and it's not in my line of sight when I'm using it.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man, that Antec 600T is a pretty nice case for that price. For my money the P180 series is still tops, but finding a good deal on one seems like a daunting proposition these days. It's nice having a case where I don't have to worry about graphics cards getting too big :)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have a little bit of an upgrade itch and thinking about jumping to DX 11. Any GPUs (ATI or nVidia) around $150 worth grabbing to replace a 4870 1GB?

edit: SLI or Crossfire support doesn't matter to me, I'll never use it

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Just for kicks this is what I keep staring at and wondering if now's a good time to pull the trigger:

Superbiiz:
    $445 - Crucial C300 256GB SSD (no tax or s/h)

Amazon:
    $138 - Silverstone SG06BB-450 ITX Case w/450W 80-Bronze PSU (no tax or s/h)

Newegg:
    $295 - i5-2500 CPU + ASRock H67 ITX motherboard
    $185 - XFX 6850 ZDFC model [$20 MIR]
    $100 - Win7 Home Premium OEM
    $40 - Wintec 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM (single-stick)
    $37 - Rosewill External DVD Drive
    $33 - Scythe SCSK-1100 Shuriken Cooler

Totals out to the $1300-$1350 range and lets me replace my monolithic Antec 1200 with something less than one-fourth the volume. My trigger finger itches...
    ===
    tofu, right now no. The 550Ti just debuted at the $150 mark and it's underwhelming. Your video card is reasonably strong for the time being, mostly due to the 1GB of VRAM.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have an Antec P180 case, it's nice, but it's old and outdated. I could have gone for a P182 in my new build but the Corsair 600T is just a much more advanced case.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    dexterdexter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

$150 - Asus P8P67-PRO

Other notes:

Thanks, dude, i'll check it out when I get home from uni and get back to you!

EDIT: Actually I can do it now. Thanks for the tip, Zoelef, but would 520W be okay? I'm happy to spend the extra $20 since I understand the PSU is important. But I'll beleive you if you say it's okay!

dexter on
    3694663-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

With i5-2500 + GTX 560 Ti + the rest it recommends a 356 PSU minimum. Double checked the stock version and it recommends 500W minimum, so yeah don't OC too crazily and the 520W should be fine.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    Have a little bit of an upgrade itch and thinking about jumping to DX 11. Any GPUs (ATI or nVidia) around $150 worth grabbing to replace a 4870 1GB?

the 560 ti nvidia card just came out around that price and everyone seems to be supportive of it. I'm not sure exactly how it fares though

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

the 560 ti nvidia card just came out around that price and everyone seems to be supportive of it. I'm not sure exactly how it fares though

560 ti will run almost $100 more than that. And you'll need to spend at least that much to really get much of a boost above your 4870, unless your only concern is DX11. I'd probably hold off on upgrading, at least from my understanding of the GPU landscape and where you sit on it.

EDIT: Aw shit, you probably meant the 550 Ti, which did indeed just come out. Still holds, though...you're going to be looking at a minimal performance upgrade at best, other than DX11 support. Save up another $100, or wait for another price drop, and make the upgrade worth it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh my bad didn't know they had two levels of Ti cards.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    man when the hell are asus going to ship more motherboards? everywhere I go the p8p67 in all its variations is out of stock!

even at amazon

E: never mind I'm a big dummy head

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »

560 ti will run almost $100 more than that. And you'll need to spend at least that much to really get much of a boost above your 4870, unless your only concern is DX11. I'd probably hold off on upgrading, at least from my understanding of the GPU landscape and where you sit on it.

EDIT: Aw shit, you probably meant the 550 Ti, which did indeed just come out. Still holds, though...you're going to be looking at a minimal performance upgrade at best, other than DX11 support. Save up another $100, or wait for another price drop, and make the upgrade worth it.

It's not a big deal right now, very few games support DX11 yet so there's no rush. My system still handles the newest games at medium to high settings perfectly fine so I don't mind waiting another generation to pick up cards on the cheap

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah the only reason I made the jump to a 460 was because I had been using an 8800gts. I think I only have a handful of games that give a damn about me having dx11

initiatefailure on
This discussion has been closed.