As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Duke Nukem Forever: The Duke Says "Whatta Mess."

donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology

• MannyTheManateeMannyTheManatee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Groovy!

MannyTheManatee on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This reminds me, I need to stock up on bubble gum. And I really wish I knew how large the actual Duke bust was.

Decoy on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It looks like the Balls of Steel edition is back in stock across all platforms. I wonder if these are canceled pre-orders or Gearbox decided to make more.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    It looks like the Balls of Steel edition is back in stock across all platforms. I wonder if these are canceled pre-orders or Gearbox decided to make more.

Hopefully the later, more people need Duke.

Bolthorn on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ALmost everyone I know who is preordering is getting the balls of steel edition, so probably they made more.

LockeCole on
    edited March 2011
    LockeCole wrote: »
    ALmost everyone I know who is preordering is getting the balls of steel edition, so probably they made more.

Yeah, but after 12 fuckin' years, they should be.

Decoy on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The prodigal game returns, the second coming is at hand, truly these are the end of days

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited March 2011
    I want this DNF t-shirt, but I'm afraid it's one of those things that are only available to Gearbox employees or people who go to conventions. Does anyone know anything about it?

dnftshirt.jpg

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know anything about it?

It is red and a man with a beard is wearing it.

Metalbourne on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want this DNF t-shirt, but I'm afraid it's one of those things that are only available to Gearbox employees or people who go to conventions. Does anyone know anything about it?

dnftshirt.jpg

I actually do know something about it.

There is an eBay acution for one up right now. If you want to shell out the cash, it could be on your naked body right now.

It was given to those at PAX.

donhonk on
    edited March 2011
    $150? Yikes. I don't like it that much. Thanks for pointing out the source of it, though.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still can't believe this is coming out.

Sweeney Tom on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thread is not complete without the trilogy trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K00DCK1l98

Pemulis on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone else ever think beyong DNF?

Like, what will gearbox do with Duke?

I like to think about what game they would make when they weren't polishing up and finishing a previous build.

I'm super glad DNF is coming out, but I think what's next for Duke is equally exciting.

The next Duke game in my head is to DN3D what MK9 is to MK1.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My hope is that further Duke Nukem games stay consistently "retro", and nothing is ever lost to whatever new gimmicks or mechanics are hot for FPS. By the same right, I hope it doesn't shy away from making use of positive advances in FPS mechanics.

Also, hoping for new baddies. This is our second outing with this particular brand of bad guy, and I'd hate for them to be the funny version of the Covenant. I hope they get completely and utterly demolished in DNF, to the point where the only presence they have in the Duke-verse is a reference and a joke (like Dr. Proton).

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone else ever think beyong DNF?

I like to think about what game they would make when they weren't polishing up and finishing a previous build.

I'm super glad DNF is coming out, but I think what's next for Duke is equally exciting.

The next Duke game in my head is to DN3D what MK9 is to MK1.

I was curious about all that myself. I really hope that this is the start of another Duke era. Considering how gung-ho the Gearbox guys seemed to be on the character, all signs point to this.

SmokeScreen on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am sure this will lead into another game that will flesh out the Dukeverse even more. What they need to do is take him off world.

Krathoon on
    edited March 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am sure this will lead into another game that will flesh out the Dukeverse even more. What they need to do is take him off world.

I'd like to see more location hopping too. The first three games send him to some interesting places, so I'll be a little surprised if he stays on Earth the whole time in DNF. DN1 had the moon and the future, DN2 had the Rigelatin home planet, and DN3D had the moon again.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Duke Tactics is next.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have the deepest, darkest, uneasiest feeling that DNF might turn out to be shockingly mediocre :/

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If DNF is widely successful, announcing a sequel and take 20 years to develop it? ;-)

Dratatoo on
    edited March 2011
    Seanron wrote: »
    I have the deepest, darkest, uneasiest feeling that DNF might turn out to be shockingly mediocre :/

I am almost certain this is going to be the case.

But it doesn't make me any less glad it's coming out.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dratatoo wrote: »

If DNF is widely successful, announcing a sequel and take 20 years to develop it? ;-)

Didn't 3D realms actually say they were working on a DNF2 at one point?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited March 2011
    Seanron wrote: »

I am almost certain this is going to be the case.

But it doesn't make me any less glad it's coming out.

While I wouldn't say I expect it to blow my fucking mind, I will say the same thing as Bacon. I'm glad it's finally coming out. And while I also doubt it'll do anything revolutionary, I do think I'll enjoy the hell out of it. As much love as Randy Pitchford has for Duke, I trust him to do right by the game.

If they can maintain a good sense of humor throughout the game, that'll go a long way with me. I'm a sucker for generic games that don't take themselves too seriously (see DeathSpank).

Decoy on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is it wrong that I dreamt I played DNF last night?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2011

Only if you woke up with morning wood.

Edit: ... or would it be "if you didn't"?

Decoy on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

Only if you woke up with morning wood.

Edit: ... or would it be "if you didn't"?

Nope, just balls of steel.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2011
    I ended up with a spare First Access Club code for pre-ordering the game (already had one from Borderlands). I'll PM it to the first person who claims it in the thread.

Edit: Claimed.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Dibs?

(For the first access club code)

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Aaand.. sent. I'm not sure if there's much info up on the site yet since most of the announcements and such come via e-mail.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Awesome, thanks dude. :)

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So tempting. So very tempting.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's possible the game will be mediocre--that doesn't bother me, as at the same time, I'm pretty confident that it'll be the only first person shooter of its kind to come out this year (and perhaps for some time to come). The sheer level of interactivity with the environment comes to mind--it's a sad state of affairs when a game like Half-Life 2 (which is still excellent, let me finish) is considered an example of an environment with a high level of interactivity, what with it's amazing breaking bottles and doors that you can open and shit you can kind of half-handedly throw at people (not including the gravity gun).

I miss games that blew that level of detail out of the water.

Synthesis on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's possible the game will be mediocre--that doesn't bother me, as at the same time, I'm pretty confident that it'll be the only first person shooter of its kind to come out this year (and perhaps for some time to come). The sheer level of interactivity with the environment comes to mind--it's a sad state of affairs when a game like Half-Life 2 (which is still excellent, let me finish) is considered an example of an environment with a high level of interactivity, what with it's amazing breaking bottles and doors that you can open and shit you can kind of half-handedly throw at people (not including the gravity gun).

Everytime I play a Call of Duty game and I hide behind a barrel and its completely indestructible and it doesnt react when shot, I die a little inside.

donhonk on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    donhonk wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Everytime I play a Call of Duty game and I hide behind a barrel and its completely indestructible and it doesnt react when shot, I die a little inside.
    Actually, you don't die. Not at all. Because you have indestructible cover and the bullets are all somehow absorbed by a rusty barrel that cannot move.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone have links to those awesome new Duke art pieces? You know, the ones with him as an Astronaut, MMA fighter etc.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm surprised this wasnt posted yet. Multiplayer info. Standard fare with deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF, and king of the hill.

Capture the (flag) Babe has a spank button.

http://kotaku.com/#!5784253/duke-nukem-forevers-capture-the-babe-mode-has-a-spank-button

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-21-duke-nukem-multiplayer-modes-revealed
    "There's no aim with a multiplayer game like Duke to try to be the next competitive platform – it's about entertainment, it's about fun, it's about getting together with your buddies to talk shit, and using these unique tools to be the best on the battlefield."

Damn straight.

Edit: also, we get a Dukeburger map.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I read it in a GameInformer article a few days ago, but didn't really think it was too exciting. Given the retro nature of the game, I guess I really shouldn't have expected anything more from the MP. Sadly, other than a slight diversion at lan parties, I'm not sure I see a huge MP following for this.

Don't get me wrong, if there are laser trip mines and pipe bombs in MP with the same mechanics as in D3D, I'll play just for them. I just think retro deathmatch games are kind of a smaller niche today.

Decoy on
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I guess it's now Duke's 20th anniversary. That means I have been playing for 20 years. Oh dear.

Also, why the hell does every trailer use Invaders Must Die

hyperpower on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nope. Still don't believe it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.