As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nasty eye twitch

ninjaininjai Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP!?!?

I have a nasty eye twitch that started this week. All day every day. I can't make it stop :(

ninjai on

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Like, constant non-stop literally, or just recurring throughout the day?

I get it fairly frequently but it's for a handful of minutes at a time multiple times a day for however long. Supposedly stress/tiredness causes it but I don't know, seems pretty random to me.

No way to magically make it stop that I know of but on the bright side you get used to it. When it first started happening to me it really bothered me but now I hardly notice it.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    recurring. Its annoying as bawls.

ninjai on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've had eye twitches before, and yea, they definitely suck. Since you said it started this week - has anything new/ stressful happened to you starting this week? What helped at least lessen the frequency of the twitching when it did happen for me was taking a warm washcloth and putting it over my eyes, then laying down for a while with the washcloth on. Just try and relax your mind. If you can figure out what the new stress may have been and try not to worry about it then that can help. Also, have you been looking at a screen more than usual this week? Eye strain may also cause the twitches. Good luck getting rid of them!

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've found that I get eye twitches when I'm getting dehydrated.
    How's your water/potassium/electrolyte intake?

chromdom on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drink water, eat some bananas. It will go away.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had the same thing for 2 weeks about a month ago, it got to the point where my eye was twitching so frequently the left eye muscle felt tired all the time. Turns out I was working to hard as i'd had two weeks of hell at work. I got some sleep (lots of sleep) one weekend and by Monday it had gone. Plenty of water cant hurt either

Prime on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I get this kind of thing when i'm super-stressed out, and I'm either ignoring it, or not dealing with it in some way, etc.
    Sort out anything in your life that's running you down if you can, get some extra sleep, eat a little better for a while, and get some exercise.
    Also, to be on the safe side, see your doctor, there are specific physical maladies that can cause this kind of thing, so your doc will probably check various reflexes, but I doubt there's anything to worry about. Not many people mention it, but I suspect this kind of thing occurs to a lot more people than anyone realizes.

ashridah on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This happens to me when I haven't been getting enough sleep.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Only time I ever get an eye twitch is due to stress. If it is stress related, there is no easy fix to get rid of the stress (well, none I've found).

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    McVikingMcViking Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Assuming we're talking about your eyelid, what you have is a Blepharospasm. So, yeah: get more sleep, cut back on the caffeine, and use eye drops as needed. For more serious spasms, they can actually Botox you, but you probably don't need that.

McViking on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had to be botox'd because of eye twitches. They stuck me three years ago and it hasn't been back since.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ICEFIR3ICEFIR3 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I get em in one eye and I find it's usually due to neck/posture issues. If I rest my neck and/or sit straight for a while it stops.

Good luck!

ICEFIR3 on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I made a thread about this awhile ago. I had an eyelid twitch and had done everything - I ate more potassium (bananas), got a lot of sleep, massaged it, took extra supplements, drank so much water I was peeing every hour, etc. Nothing helped. In the end, it went away after a few months. However, I think the important part is it started right after I had a nasty breakup with my boyfriend at the time, and continued over the next few months as we hooked back up, had drama, got together and broke up... on and on. It didn't end until I finally kicked him to the curb and got the drama out of my life. So my advice is: Do a little soul searching and see if there's something in your life really, really stressing you out. Get rid of it.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Only time I ever get an eye twitch is due to stress. If it is stress related, there is no easy fix to get rid of the stress (well, none I've found).

Same here. Always get the twitches during times of high stress, and they'll only stop when I'm able to take a couple days to just relax and do nothing.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I started taking a gummy multi-vitamin (Kirkland brand) and after a few months I developed an eye twitch. I cut back on my intake of the gummy for another reason (I was also taking a vitamin D supplement, since I live in Alaska and don't get that much sun, and realized I may be getting TOO much vitamin D) and the twich happened less frequently. I quit taking it entirely and bam, the problem went away.

One of my coworkers thinks it was the B12 but who knows.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cut down on coffee, red bull. ect

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    willywonkawillywonka Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Both my wife and I have eliminated these by reducing coffee caffeine. We did this fairly painlessly by limiting ourselves to two cups a day made with half caffeinated and half decaffeinated coffee. The twitches were gone in a week and no coffee withdrawal headaches.

willywonka on