As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stopping cat toys from going under the couch

OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Title is pretty self-explanatory. Is there anything I can buy to block off the gaps at the bottoms of my couches to prevent my cats from knocking their cat toys underneath all the time?

The goods:
Xandra.jpg

Leo.jpg

Orogogus on

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You...could buy bigger cat toys? Other than that I guess you could buy some blocks of wood and close off all the gaps yourself. I've never come across anything that's marketed specifically for stopping things from going under the couch.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is something called Toy Goalie that I've seen used to good effect.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is that Toy Goalie something actually being sold? The first few links off of Google suggest that they were looking into manufacturing opportunities in 2009, but I can't find anywhere selling them.

Wood blocks don't seem ideal, as they'd just get knocked under the couch as well. A secondary concern was that I was hoping for something that wouldn't be so much of an eyesore. I mean, I could wrap duct tape around the feet of the couches, too, but I'd rather it didn't come to that. It's not life or death, I was just hoping there would be an elegant solution.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It strikes me that using those cloth tubes generally for shoring up a drafty door could work. As long as they were held firmly under the couch, they'd be both out of sight and would make for a nice little bounce when the cat whips a toy under there.

Edit: There's even an eHow article.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It may be a situation where you find spending 75¢ on a yardstick (so you can fish the toys out whenever you want) is going to be easier and cheaper than spending a fair amount on a net, cardboard, or wood solution that permanently alters your couch.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If it's really an issue for you, I think your best option would be to fill the space under the couch so there's nowhere for cat toys to roll out of reach. Even something as simple as a sheet of plywood, cut to fit, would work. If you left it a couple of inches in from the edge of the couch, it wouldn't be visible, and even if a toy did get batted up against it, the toy would still be within easy paw range of your cats.

Really, though, why not just use the couch as a way to rotate toys? Keep a dozen different ones on hand: whenever one gets lost under the couch, throw a fresh one down, then when you run out of fresh ones, lift up the couch, scoop them all up, and suddenly your kitties are super-happy because they haven't seen that one mouse for so long, they forgot they even had it, and it's like a brand-new toy to them.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The problem is that the couches take up most of my living room space, so the cat toys get lost under there in a matter of minutes. I don't mind fishing them out, but it occurred to me that if this was preventable then my cats might be more active for the other 8 hours and 50 minutes of the day when I'm not home but the toys are all already under the couch again. They don't play with each other, but they love their toys.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Orogogus wrote: »
    The problem is that the couches take up most of my living room space, so the cat toys get lost under there in a matter of minutes. I don't mind fishing them out, but it occurred to me that if this was preventable then my cats might be more active for the other 8 hours and 50 minutes of the day when I'm not home but the toys are all already under the couch again. They don't play with each other, but they love their toys.

I'm fairly certain cats are designed by evolution to be mega lazy. Even if the toys were out they would probably just tire of them.

I'd suggest some heavy cloth, pit it to the hemming of the couch.

Or get taller couches.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Some wooden blocks or bricks, raise the couches? :P

Or duct tape and some cardboard.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cardboard tubes from paper towels worked for us. We wedged them under the couch and it stopped stuff from going under. Unfortunately our diabolical cats decided that this act ruined their fun so they moved on to shoving their toys under the oven : (

Darksier on
  • Options
    LeafgreenLeafgreen Registered User new member
    edited January 2013
    see below. Double post mistake.

Leafgreen on
  • Options
    LeafgreenLeafgreen Registered User new member
    edited January 2013
    I had the same problem. Stuffing wood blocks or other items seems very unwieldy, inconvenient or unattractive. I ended buying a netting that prevents stuff from getting under the couch. Looks fine, works perfectly, cheap.

Leafgreen on