As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Dear lord, I just realized how far behind I am. Still out in Dunland around level 67.

Also love that my bars for my Champ have been cleaned up by around 50%. The new talent system is pretty dang hot.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It's growing on me.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    My main beef with the talent system is that there's way too much "+5/10/15/20/25% to blahrdy damage", and skills that of course you're going to take. (I mean, really, a Warstrel isn't going to take Call of Orome?) So there's a lot of falseness to the choices you're making.

Not to mention the fact that this is an issue that other MMOs, WoW most notably, have been dealing with and trying to solve for years, and Turbine of course decided to go with the 5-years-ago model.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You know...

This may sound crazy, but I don't really mind talents working that way. I just want a sense of progression, I don't need every single piece of minutae and decision making inside the tree.

Now, if they'd done a better job making it useful to cross spec in multiple trees, that'd be alright. As it is, it's stuff like: Am I main heals, support heals or soloing?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You know...

This may sound crazy, but I don't really mind talents working that way. I just want a sense of progression, I don't need every single piece of minutae and decision making inside the tree.

Now, if they'd done a better job making it useful to cross spec in multiple trees, that'd be alright. As it is, it's stuff like: Am I main heals, support heals or soloing?

The idea (which blizzard realized like, back in Wrath) is that if a talent is just something like +5% damage to <important attack skill you use constantly> then it is: a) boring, and b) mandatory

So why is that a talent and not just a passive class attribute that is gained automatically at a given level or rolled into the class to begin with?

• Options
    I *am* kind of curious to how blue-line Champion tanking works nowadays. Since Martial Champ was always the Vanilla WoW Ret Paladin of specs, and Champs only had the choice of "killing everything in front of you" and "killing everything in a five-mile radius around you" as spec choices.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I want to get back into this game but I am so far behind. I think my rogue is level 30, minstrel about the same. It just seems like it would take too long to get to the new stuff. Is there some kind of power up option, to just buy my way to near peak level?

• Options
    Why? Not many groups really raid. You'd just be buying your way to not playing the game.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I want to get back into this game but I am so far behind. I think my rogue is level 30, minstrel about the same. It just seems like it would take too long to get to the new stuff. Is there some kind of power up option, to just buy my way to near peak level?
    There +100% exp buffs you can buy, but the leveling content is considered the best experience by everyone.

• Options
    Martial Champ thoughts:

Holy freaking hell, Riposte hits like a truck. Fervour, what's that? Oh, those red dots that I put into Second Wind so I can Riposte more?

Doesn't really feel like a tank spec, but I havn't really tried anything involving grouping with it yet.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    So yesterday i found out i never did book 10, even though i did do the whole of Wildermore... i never thought of going back to that tiny guard post that devides the Mets until i needed to be there for the expansion.
    Whoops

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Still no fix on my RK. this is getting frustrating and dampening my recent enthusiasm to play the game again.

Edit: in other news my captain still rocks the house.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Finals has stopped me from playing this after my awesome skirm run with Phenny. Sad.

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    So I submit a ticket ont he fact that my Rune-Keeper is missing a skill he should have after the HD update and they close it telling me they don't provide help with quests. . .

Right. . .

Edit: I resubmitted a ticket. They're looking into it the second time.

Also how did they make captain tanks even more viable than before you might ask? They gave them a passive proc auto-heal on damage. . . This is both awe inspiring and scary. There is no way this does not get nerfed into oblivion.

What are you missing on your RK?

• Options
    Rayze wrote: »
    So I submit a ticket ont he fact that my Rune-Keeper is missing a skill he should have after the HD update and they close it telling me they don't provide help with quests. . .

Right. . .

Edit: I resubmitted a ticket. They're looking into it the second time.

Also how did they make captain tanks even more viable than before you might ask? They gave them a passive proc auto-heal on damage. . . This is both awe inspiring and scary. There is no way this does not get nerfed into oblivion.

What are you missing on your RK?

Self-motivation. The Level 14 skill.

• Options
    @Entaru

You now get it at 36. I don't know what level your character is but if it's below 36, there's your answer

• Options
    edited December 2013
    @Entaru

You now get it at 36. I don't know what level your character is but if it's below 36, there's your answer

You rock. Thanks.

Everything online was pointing towards 14 still and I checked all of the release notes and didn't see it. He's 31 so it makes perfect sense he'd no longer have it.

The support team should have been able to just tell me this instead of just closing the ticket and being unhelpful but whatever.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Glad to hear it was just that.

None of the wikis are updated yet, last I checked. There just isn't a massive community crawling everything and carefully documenting it anymore.

• Options
    @Entaru

You rock. Thanks.

Everything online was pointing towards 14 still and I checked all of the release notes and didn't see it.

Yeah, the Lotro wiki will probably be out of date for a while since a lot of changes were made. As for release notes, they don't tell you everything. Unfortunately, you have to go hunting for some things

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I even searched the LOTRO class forums but that's an exercise in futility.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    LOTRO's community is too small and most knowledge that hardcore raiders have, never leaves the forums of their guilds or is only shared on their TS server. There is no active Reddit and no site like Dulfy.net. :(

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wife and I got back into this, as lifetime subscribers we keep feeling the need to play this after a LOTR movie or a marathon of LOTR.

I do have to say I really like the most recent changes. We're both going champions I'm martial she's the red one, it really works. It seems with the talent changes they reduced enemy hps and upped player health/power regain out of combat, and thank fucking christ for that.

North downs still sucks, and hilariously it seems like the book there got level boosted while the content remains around level 30. We finished the book stuff at level 32, but didn't get the "go to rivendell" part until 34.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wife and I got back into this, as lifetime subscribers we keep feeling the need to play this after a LOTR movie or a marathon of LOTR.

I do have to say I really like the most recent changes. We're both going champions I'm martial she's the red one, it really works. It seems with the talent changes they reduced enemy hps and upped player health/power regain out of combat, and thank fucking christ for that.

North downs still sucks, and hilariously it seems like the book there got level boosted while the content remains around level 30. We finished the book stuff at level 32, but didn't get the "go to rivendell" part until 34.

They never revamped North Downs, check out Evendim and Trollshawls if you want a smoother leveling experience.

• Options
    Yeah I know that, we skipped North downs went straight to Evendim (aside from oatbarton because fuck you hobbits I'm not doing your damned chores). Still makes me sad because Northdowns in theory could be better but isn't.

It was nice to see trollshaws looks like it got a level boost, even if some rivendell quests appear to be at the old level.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man. I haven't done any book stuff in like thirty levels. I never find it.

• Options
    Well for the old 1-13 volume 1 books its really easy to lose the chain, especially post northdowns. For Moria you can't really miss the books because they are right there, though I think post moria/mirkwood its easy to lose the chain again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Though I have to say of the books my favorite ones were in moria, even if some of the quests are pain in the ass.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Howdy, guys! I've been trying to get interested in coming back to LOTRO, but all I can manage is once every couple of months to pay my house upkeep. I didn't even fall for any of the pre-release bonus packs this time, and haven't been on since the new expansion. I've even been playing *gasp* WoW some recently, somewhat excited by being able to have a goblin toon, and a Horde pally that's not a belf. I hope to generate the interest to check it out sometime over the Christmas-New Year days; just wish I was able to take some vacation time, but too many projects on a short deadline right now. I think I'll go over to my gaming box and at least update the game now. Hope to see some of y'all there in the near future.

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Though I have to say of the books my favorite ones were in moria, even if some of the quests are pain in the ass.

I think somewhere in Moria is where I gave up.

My computer pooped itself, which is rather frustrating. I've been having a lot of fun playing lately. I really like the new traits.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Have you guys played Moria since the revamp? If I recall, they really streamlined the stuff there quite a bit. There's a lot less travel back and forth, more centralized quest hubs, and pretty much all the story stuff can be solo'd now.

Cobell on
  • Options
    Yeah the new Moria is pretty great.

• Options
    Next year: quarterly content updates, more revamps of older content and an overhaul of the inventory. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?535422-A-letter-from-Executive-Producer-Kate-Paiz-Looking-Ahead-to-2014

• Options
    edited December 2013
    This is a great direction to be going in.

I'm incredibly happy about the Inventory revamp though it'll probably cost tp to buy the new wizard backpack, enchanted by Gandalf, to keep your items manageable.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Cobell wrote: »
    Have you guys played Moria since the revamp? If I recall, they really streamlined the stuff there quite a bit. There's a lot less travel back and forth, more centralized quest hubs, and pretty much all the story stuff can be solo'd now.

Yeah the moria revamp was really nice, turning 5.5 into skirmish's was genius, only issue I had was I wish once played they were just regular skirmishes you could select!

Moria before was actually pretty decent content wise, but the changes cleaned up some of the more annoying aspects of it. Lothlorien and mirkwood could also really benefit from some changes as well, but I'm sure they'll get there in time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I have 11k turbine points and an extreme case of purchase paralysis.

I have no idea what I should get.

Excluding content and xpacs, what would you guys buy if you were VIP's and had a ton of play money?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I have 11k turbine points and an extreme case of purchase paralysis.

I have no idea what I should get.

Excluding content and xpacs, what would you guys buy if you were VIP's and had a ton of play money?

Buy the mount speed increase for your whole account? I think it's 2995Tp and makes all mounts go 78%.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    relic removal scrolls, scrolls of delving, stat tomes, expand vault storage, 6th inventory bag, warsteed cosmetics (color packs). If you have characters on different servers: get them moved to the right one (you have to do this via a support website of Turbine).

• Options
    You can buy crafting tiers completely out, which is a god send for some of the more annoying ones.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Or if you really don't know what to do, buy character slots and instant level new classes to fifty just so you have one of each.

• Options
    No one should have a high level mini. NO ONE!

pleasepaypreacher.net