As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Women in the parts of town I've been too seemed okay, though I wasn't actually in the JBLM area on those adventures (closer to Seattle). Women around my area in the greater Lakewood, Lower Tacoma, and University Place areas are pretty obese and trashy. Ohhh Fort Benning (#memories)

I saw that I have a Bikini Espresso down the street (lady bug) and was curious to what that was and whether women actually wore bikinis. Did a google search and dukes... Scrolled down a bit and found out a few of them are fronts for prostitution. Double dukes! Strippers serving you caffeinated beverages? What's there not to like (Minus the whole prostitution part)

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Waffen wrote: »
    Women in the parts of town I've been too seemed okay, though I wasn't actually in the JBLM area on those adventures (closer to Seattle). Women around my area in the greater Lakewood, Lower Tacoma, and University Place areas are pretty obese and trashy. Ohhh Fort Benning (#memories)

I saw that I have a Bikini Espresso down the street (lady bug) and was curious to what that was and whether women actually wore bikinis. Did a google search and dukes... Scrolled down a bit and found out a few of them are fronts for prostitution. Double dukes! Strippers serving you caffeinated beverages? What's there not to like (Minus the whole prostitution part)

Oh man let's see what I can remember...

First off Tactical Tailor is pretty great. They sell decent pouches and can make custom ones per your specifications. They'll even modify your TA-50 if you want (though whether or not you can get away with that depends on your unit). Custom gear greatly improves quality of life in the field and on deployment.

Pho Tai is pretty decent and a good place for lunch.

There's a heavy metal venue somewhere in Tacoma. Not sure what it's called but they had some decent shows if you're into metal.

Avoid Schooner like the plague. Fights always break out there and when I was at Lewis there were a few shootings there. You aren't missing anything anyway.

There's a restaurant somewhere in Lakewood, though I can't remember its name. It's the RAM. It's just past the mall I think. It has its own microbrews that are pretty good and the food is good too.

Should you want to take your woman out on the town, or if you find yourself single, The Swiss is pretty cool. It's bar/club that often has live music, but it can get packed and usually has a line out front with a cover on the weekend. There's also a few other bars and a pool hall down the street.

Oh and I'd recommend checking out Lewis' blacklisted stores/restaurants before checking out Dukes. I don't remember it from six years ago, but obviously don't go if it's black listed. Hit up Fox's for strippers instead. It's much better than Deja Vu.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Sounds like tactical tailor is the JBLM version of Benning's Commandos and Ranger Joes. I gotta check that place out then.

I discovered a place called Steph's Pizza that has amazing pizza. I've already ordered from them twice. I found the Tacoma Mall, but I haven't actually checked it out yet. I'll probably go there when Christmas comes closer for all my Christmas Shopping needs. I5 hasn't been the nightmare that people told me that it is. Yeah, I mean, its congested, but its just like back home where I grew up on. If I take get on at Exit 130 I make it to the base in about 20-25 minutes which isn't bad at all. Getting back I get off on exit 125 and it I get back even quicker.

I checked out the black list. The current black list has mostly cigarrette and alcohol shops that are banned. No strip clubs or anything. I'll take the GF or if I become single out here out to some of those bar places. I don't really drink anymore (haven't had a drink since March) and figured I might as well continue sobriety.

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    Sounds like tactical tailor is the JBLM version of Benning's Commandos and Ranger Joes. I gotta check that place out then.

I discovered a place called Steph's Pizza that has amazing pizza. I've already ordered from them twice. I found the Tacoma Mall, but I haven't actually checked it out yet. I'll probably go there when Christmas comes closer for all my Christmas Shopping needs. I5 hasn't been the nightmare that people told me that it is. Yeah, I mean, its congested, but its just like back home where I grew up on. If I take get on at Exit 130 I make it to the base in about 20-25 minutes which isn't bad at all. Getting back I get off on exit 125 and it I get back even quicker.

I checked out the black list. The current black list has mostly cigarrette and alcohol shops that are banned. No strip clubs or anything. I'll take the GF or if I become single out here out to some of those bar places. I don't really drink anymore (haven't had a drink since March) and figured I might as well continue sobriety.

It is a lot worse around Seattle, especially between 1600 and 2000ish. Forget about it if there is a game going on, just find a park and ride near a rail station and ride in on the light rail (it will cost less than parking downtown, and possibly is faster). Granted, this only applies to ventures into Seattle.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    It's not so much the congestion, it's the inability for people to drive. I will list a few of the qualities of the greater Puget Sound drivers.

-No idea that the far left lane is for passing and not just cruising at 2 miles over the speed limit in.
    -Will ride your ass for no reason other than they want to.
    -There is at least 1 accident in the North and Southbound lanes between exit 118 and exit 135 every day. (Back to the tail gaiting)
    -No idea what a yield sign actually means. This in reference to an on ramp getting onto one of the highways. They will just cut onto i5 no matter if you are currently occupying the space that they need. (Semi's are the absolute worst at this)
    -Passing on your right. All I need to say about that.

@H3ndu let me know if you need contacts there for places to live/eat. I have a few buddies down there that are always willing to show people around.

@Waffen how are you settling in to the unit?

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    It's not so much the congestion, it's the inability for people to drive. I will list a few of the qualities of the greater Puget Sound drivers.

-No idea that the far left lane is for passing and not just cruising at 2 miles over the speed limit in.
    -There is at least 1 accident in the North and Southbound lanes between exit 118 and exit 135 every day. (Back to the tail gaiting)
    -No idea what a yield sign actually means. This in reference to an on ramp getting onto one of the highways. They will just cut onto i5 no matter if you are currently occupying the space that they need. (Semi's are the absolute worst at this)

This sounds suspiciously like DC...

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    to live/eat. I have a few buddies down there that are always willing to show people around.

I'm still on 10 days permissive TDY. I told the guys at inprocessing that I didn't have an apartment or a house so they gave me my free 10 day vacation. All I've done in the last week was settle in, find out where everything is, put together my furniture (fuuu ikea!), work out, and relax. I report back on Friday to avoid getting charged 3 days of leave and start inprocessing next Monday. Apparently I get another five days to inprocess but inprocessing only takes 2 days total so I'll get one more week of bsing around.

All I know about my unit is that they're at Yakima Training Center right now and won't get back till October. A company already selected to go on Pacific Pathways and we just got back from NTC so I figure I'll be chilling as Assistant S3 once I do get to my unit.

Edit: Question. I don't really wanna be "that LT", but I've seen a lot of junior enlisted guys running around hanging out at stores like a local Games Workshop Store and shooting the shit at a custom decal car store in the area in uniform. Would I be out of place to spot correct them on regulation about wearing the uniform out in public?

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    to live/eat. I have a few buddies down there that are always willing to show people around.

I'm still on 10 days permissive TDY. I told the guys at inprocessing that I didn't have an apartment or a house so they gave me my free 10 day vacation. All I've done in the last week was settle in, find out where everything is, put together my furniture (fuuu ikea!), work out, and relax. I report back on Friday to avoid getting charged 3 days of leave and start inprocessing next Monday. Apparently I get another five days to inprocess but inprocessing only takes 2 days total so I'll get one more week of bsing around.

All I know about my unit is that they're at Yakima Training Center right now and won't get back till October. A company already selected to go on Pacific Pathways and we just got back from NTC so I figure I'll be chilling as Assistant S3 once I do get to my unit.

Edit: Question. I don't really wanna be "that LT", but I've seen a lot of junior enlisted guys running around hanging out at stores like a local Games Workshop Store and shooting the shit at a custom decal car store in the area in uniform. Would I be out of place to spot correct them on regulation about wearing the uniform out in public?

If they're within your unit, do the correction yourself. It's better to have it come from within than it is the outside. Someone's going to correct them, so you might as well nip it in the bud.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Evigilant wrote: »

If they're within your unit, do the correction yourself. It's better to have it come from within than it is the outside. Someone's going to correct them, so you might as well nip it in the bud.

Determining who's in his unit might be difficult with three brigades wearing 2nd ID patches and an absence of berets.

Though if it's during the duty day or just after COB it shouldn't matter too much, unless I Corps/Fort Lewis culture has changed. However if someone's drinking, you should unsheathe that knife-hand on sight, Waffen.

Did you get a small booklet with post/corps policies on it while in processing? I'd refer to that. Those rules are generally held in higher regard than AR 670-1.

Be confident, but tread lightly. Some of those junior enlisted might know the rules and regs better than you, for now.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Be confident, but tread lightly. Some of those junior enlisted might know the rules and regs better than you, for now.

That's exactly why I've kept my mouth shut. I don't really plan on saying anything until I've been here for a few months. I'm in observation and listening mode trying to gather as much information as I can about how things work here.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    edited September 2014

That's exactly why I've kept my mouth shut. I don't really plan on saying anything until I've been here for a few months. I'm in observation and listening mode trying to gather as much information as I can about how things work here.

...What the fuck?
    You haven't gone to the CC with ideas on how to improve the unit? Told stories to the young ones of how it was "back in my day"? Instructed the SGM with "in my experience"?

I think you are doing LT wrong.

Radiation on
  • Options
    Also when you meet your SGM's in your BN for the first time. Make sure they know who's in charge, they love it when LT's do that! :)

Welcome to the area, I've got 4-5 more months here then I'm off to an instructor gig.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Also when you meet your SGM's in your BN for the first time. Make sure they know who's in charge, they love it when LT's do that! :)

Welcome to the area, I've got 4-5 more months here then I'm off to an instructor gig.

How about I just put him in the front leaning rest instead and tell him how my experience at BOLC outweighs his 20+ years of service?

Also, the McVeigh Gym thingy on exit 120 is pretty kickass. I love how its almost never crowded even at peak hours.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Well, it is off-limits during PT hours. That kinda helps with the whole not being crowded in the morning thing.

I go to the pool there and at Soldier's Field house during lunch for a little extra PT.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Taranis wrote: »
    h3ndu wrote: »
    Third week of PCS leave. Starting to forget what work is like. It's a good feeling.

Thinking I should show up to 7th Group with a full blown beard. It's a good idea, right?

right?

Oh shit did you go to Selection?

Can't yet - not an O1P; but I did land a nice job down in florida. Had some good recommendations from a few CSMs, a sterling OER, the stars aligned in perfect geometry, and they had an open position - bam.

Only weird part is that I'm not going to have any peers. There is one other LT that I know of there, and he seems to indicate there aren't many more.

@Bloodycow‌ - thanks brother; not quite down there yet, but I wouldn't mind a PM with some info.

h3ndu on
    Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @‌Waffen all in fun!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoUkh1wpxxg

Stupid government computers and not being able to post links!

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    @‌Waffen all in fun!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoUkh1wpxxg

Stupid government computers and not being able to post links!

Reminded me of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbvK2jNlZhQ

• Options
    Got my back pay. Six years TIS finally stamped into my AD Pay. Oh my, that back pay is delicious. (Minus the tax, FICA, Medicare, etc part.. That gutted 40% of it)

• Options
    Got my back pay. Six years TIS finally stamped into my AD Pay. Oh my, that back pay is delicious. (Minus the tax, FICA, Medicare, etc part.. That gutted 40% of it)

If you haven't heard: WA residents don't pay state tax if they're in the military. Something to consider if you aren't overly fond of your home state.

Though I do think changing your residency does mean you have to change your home of record (I might be wrong though), but that only matters if you aren't a lifer I guess.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

A symptom of left hand on and off ramps I think.

A nationwide thing, everyone has to be first at that finish line.

Again, having driven coast to coast and spent several years driving on the east coast, none of that is specific to Tacoma or Washington sadly. But all of it irritates me as much as it does you. Especially tailgating and passing on the right, neither are necessary and both are unsafe.

@Taranis Changing it is a good idea since all military correspondence when you leave the military will be sent to that address. It is not used for any sort of tax purposes though.

• Options

If you haven't heard: WA residents don't pay state tax if they're in the military. Something to consider if you aren't overly fond of your home state.

Though I do think changing your residency does mean you have to change your home of record (I might be wrong though), but that only matters if you aren't a lifer I guess.

Is that confirmed? I'll google when I get home, but when I checked prior to coming here I saw that WA Residents have the sixth highest income tax rate in the nation. Illinois is no better, but I'd rather pay less than more.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Is that confirmed? I'll google when I get home, but when I checked prior to coming here I saw that WA Residents have the sixth highest income tax rate in the nation. Illinois is no better, but I'd rather pay less than more.

It was true when I was up there. Several of my friends changed their residence for that reason.

Edit: Actually it looks like Washington state has no income tax in general according to a quick google search.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    I did not pay state income tax at all while I was stationed in Georgia since I was a WA state resident. In fact, didn't pay anything while in Oklahoma for basic and AIT either.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

As a Washington resident in the military:

Zero income tax, bro. They don't have one.

Quid on
  • Options
    Sounds like I need to update my Home of Record then.

• Options

Just be aware that changing your home of record changes where the Army pays you to return to upon ETSing.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

Just be aware that changing your home of record changes where the Army pays you to return to upon ETSing.

I don't entirely recall accurately, but I think I was given the option of changing it before ETSing.
    Though I moved it from California to Maryland while in Germany, so it may not have been because it would've been cheaper.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    You can always change wherever you're going to when separating. If it's cheaper then the military is happy to pay for it and if not you pay out of pocket for extra or admin just denies it because they're jerks.

• Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    I am in my own personal hell at OTC Newport

Avoid coming here

beware

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    I am in my own personal hell at OTC Newport

Avoid coming here

be advised

FTFY

And uh.. you going to elaborate on that? Seems kind of vaguely threatening.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Finding part time work before I get orders has been excruciatingly difficult. Can't even get retail to work. Jesus.

• Options
    So I also post on Terminal Lance and this Soldier got posted in their "Hot Soldiers" thread.
    EF312833-3B9D-4A05-8E84-A1AE68F62451_zps7recfpl6.jpg
    55BCF194-38ED-419B-A450-83A596D54A39_zpskwwbgqzh.jpg

Recognized her today at Waller Hall outprocessing. I knew this SSG looked familiar. Small world.

• Options
    They need to hurry up and let female soldiers choose combat arms MOSes.

I saw Edge of Tomorrow recently. A female soldier who goes on raids and runs towards small arms fire while carrying over 100 lbs of gear?

oh man

lets get coffee

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I saw Edge of Tomorrow recently. A female soldier who goes on raids and runs towards small arms fire while carrying over 100 lbs of gear?

oh man

lets get coffee

In her defense, she was wearing power armor. I wish I had power armor. :(

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options

oh man

lets get coffee

In her defense, she was wearing power armor.

I meant in general. Full battle rattle is pretty heavy. I carried close to twice that when I was an AG without an AB.

Any woman who does that sort of thing in combat and enjoys it is immensely attractive. Makes me kind of wish I was 10 years younger and enlisting all over again.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    So uh, stupid question. Where exactly is 2-2 and how do I report there tomorrow? Finished inprocessing a half hour ago and they basically said, "You're done sir. We don't know what you do next so GL!"

• Options
    edited October 2014
    So uh, stupid question. Where exactly is 2-2 and how do I report there tomorrow? Finished inprocessing a half hour ago and they basically said, "You're done sir. We don't know what you do next so GL!"

Ask someone in Waller Hall.

I have no idea, since 2-2 was in Carson when I was in the Army.

Edit: It's probably somewhere around the airfield though. It will have a big sign out front saying 2nd BDE 2nd ID.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

Edit: It's probably somewhere around the airfield though. It will have a big sign out front saying 2nd BDE 2nd ID.

I did the asking part originally. They said, "I dunno. GL!"

• Options

Call their BDE staff duty

http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/7id/2sbct.html

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular

You have no idea how much I hate this attitude.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
This discussion has been closed.