As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homefront] - 2 reasons to quit COD and counting

mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic.MDRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQliK9ZHvdrBR8_09gw1v8_bt3JhS0hNQPZveTtdcJQ4EWgh_jdZwb26ab7adafefront.jpg.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTC3HSglmbxR8aolh7D7RC_Hl0qowO6opI6kRRe4YqYYqU77VbFKA

I looked but couldn't find a thread for this, am I missing it?

Is anyone else giving Homefront a chance just because they're tired of Blops/Battlefield? Here's some details:

Single Player
-Written by John Milius, who cowrote Red Dawn and Apocalypse Now
-Focuses on near-future timeline where North Korea "unifies" the peninsula/East Asia and invades a crumbled America
-You take the role of an American resistance fighter amidst suburbs and American countryside
-Less emphasis on COD-style "action film" sequences, more on mood and character development

Multi Player
-Large maps support up to 16v16 gameplay
-Dedicated servers on all platforms
-No killstreaks. Players are rewarded with in-game battlepoints for kills, assists, and capturing objectives
-Battlepoints can be spent on-the-fly for new equipment, vehicles, etc
-Games start as infantry vs. infantry and ramp up to drone and vehicle warfare
-Going on a killstreak will give you a "wanted" rating, giving enemy players intel regarding your position and battle point bounties for killing you
-Recon air drone takes pictures to "paint" enemies and make them visible to ground players, giving you assists when they're killed

mr_mich on

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guess nobody's interested? I'll let you guys know how it is.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It looks so terribly mediocre, but they're doing a huge marketing push. We'll see, I guess.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still undecided on Homefront. It looks kind of interesting, but on the other hand it's very reminiscent of Battlefield and I already have BC2.
    Plus Kaos doesn't have the best track record. And they've been hesitant to release gameplay footage and screenshots, not to mention high def PC footage. Which makes me wonder if they aren't as confident in their game as they would like to be.
    There's also some odd stuff going on with the weapons, where's CoD and BF try to be sort of authentic, Homefront seems to have invented a bunch of red dot sights and scopes that look like toys. And they added a few non-existing "future" weapons, just like they did with Frontlines. And those looked even more like toys.
    I'm wondering, is this game a few years too late to be successful?

I've been contemplating preordering it on steam because of the extra bonusses (free Metro 2033 and TF2 item), but why would I continue to play this game once Crysis 2 and Brink are released? As those look a lot more interesting.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brink is top of my list, and frankly I think this might be taking things a bit too seriously.

That said, it might end up being totally sweet, it's certainly being marketed like mad. Dedicated servers are nice too.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Joril wrote: »
    I'm still undecided on Homefront. It looks kind of interesting, but on the other hand it's very reminiscent of Battlefield and I already have BC2.
    Plus Kaos doesn't have the best track record. And they've been hesitant to release gameplay footage and screenshots, not to mention high def PC footage. Which makes me wonder if they aren't as confident in their game as they would like to be.
    There's also some odd stuff going on with the weapons, where's CoD and BF try to be sort of authentic, Homefront seems to have invented a bunch of red dot sights and scopes that look like toys. And they added a few non-existing "future" weapons, just like they did with Frontlines. And those looked even more like toys.

I've been contemplating preordering it on steam because of the extra bonusses (free Metro 2033 and TF2 item), but why would I continue to play this game once Crysis 2 and Brink are released? As those look a lot more interesting.

Agreed, the mixed themes is sort of confusing. Watching their gameplay videos on gametrailers, I was sort of offput by the fact that a lot of it seems so derivative of Call of Duty. Did you know that they have a perk named "Ghost"? They also have "Steady Aim." I mean, if you're going to have perks, and have the same exact perks, shouldn't you at least pick different names?

Still, I'm getting really fed up with Blops. And I've vowed to avoid giving EA a dime of my money for as long as I can hold out.

Did you ever play Frontlines? I was under the impression it was a decent game, just horribly timed against COD4.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From the footage I've seen, it looks like an exact clone of COD, down to the texturing, the guns and the sound effects and font. They even used the retarded knife-under-gun-hand thing from COD. The animations look like they're from about 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQRv0dCOWbk

In short, I'm not impressed.

Warcry on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks like the pistol shoots smoke instead of bullets in that clip.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm slightly interested in this. Also there's a typo in the title "2 reaons".

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Agreed, the mixed themes is sort of confusing. Watching their gameplay videos on gametrailers, I was sort of offput by the fact that a lot of it seems so derivative of Call of Duty. Did you know that they have a perk named "Ghost"? They also have "Steady Aim." I mean, if you're going to have perks, and have the same exact perks, shouldn't you at least pick different names?

Still, I'm getting really fed up with Blops. And I've vowed to avoid giving EA a dime of my money for as long as I can hold out.

Did you ever play Frontlines? I was under the impression it was a decent game, just horribly timed against COD4.

They are trying to find a medium between the fast pace of CoD and the vast scope of Battlefield. And they might nail it too, if only the game didn't seem so "limited". There's no killcam and I have no idea of how many maps it has but there doesn't seem to be a big selection of guns. the M9 is the only side arm etc. Anyway, I hate bringing the guns because it might not matter all that much if the ones there are good.
    I didn't even know about the perk names. Where did you read that? I've been piecing together most of the info about this game from low quality youtube clips and what's being posted on forums. Kaos is not very open about any of it.
    In contrast, the media released about both Crysis 2 and Brink has been top-notch.

Yes, I have played Frontlines but not much. It was one of the first Unreal Engine 3 games but in stead of blowing my mind with stunning visuals, it blew my mind how a game with so many bugs got released. It didn't hold my interest for long, even though I thought it had some cool ideas.

I'm also getting fed up with CoD and I'm guessing it won't be as big in the future, that modified Quake3 engine it uses is so, so dated. And I'm feeling likewise about Unreal engine 3. Without the special treatment it gets like it did in Bulletstorm or GoW it just doesn't stand out. And I haven't seen anything to the contrary yet with Homefront.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah i'm interested too. PC only.

Hawk on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Full length match

Doesn't really tell us much. Maps seem comparable to BC2 size and the weapon accuracy and strength reminds me of MW1. I'm looking for more full length match videos like this.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They are trying to find a medium between the fast pace of CoD and the vast scope of Battlefield. And they might nail it too, if only the game didn't seem so "limited". There's no killcam and I have no idea of how many maps it has but there doesn't seem to be a big selection of guns. the M9 is the only side arm etc. Anyway, I hate bringing the guns because it might not matter all that much if the ones there are good.
    I didn't even know about the perk names. Where did you read that? I've been piecing together most of the info about this game from low quality youtube clips and what's being posted on forums. Kaos is not very open about any of it.
    In contrast, the media released about both Crysis 2 and Brink has been top-notch.

Yes, I have played Frontlines but not much. It was one of the first Unreal Engine 3 games but in stead of blowing my mind with stunning visuals, it blew my mind how a game with so many bugs got released. It didn't hold my interest for long, even though I thought it had some cool ideas.

I'm also getting fed up with CoD and I'm guessing it won't be as big in the future, that modified Quake3 engine it uses is so, so dated. And I'm feeling likewise about Unreal engine 3. Without the special treatment it gets like it did in Bulletstorm or GoW it just doesn't stand out. And I haven't seen anything to the contrary yet with Homefront.

I too have had a hard time finding info, so I went to their forums and looked through their FAQ.

The gun thing is kind of a moot point. Blops has dozens of guns, but most of them are either nearly-identical (AK vs Commando) or some are just straight up worse, so you never use them. On that point, I have a hard time passing judgment on Homefront.

I'm not really feeling Brink or Bulletstorm or Crysis for whatever reason, so Homefront seems like something to take a look at for me. If you haven't already checked out the multiplayer interviews on Gametrailers, I'd advise you do it, they explain quite a bit and show a good bit of actual gameplay.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did enjoy their previous game, Frontlines, but my concern is that Homefront's multiplayer community will drop off and dry up as quickly as Frontlines did.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

What you said.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Full length match

Doesn't really tell us much. Maps seem comparable to BC2 size and the weapon accuracy and strength reminds me of MW1. I'm looking for more full length match videos like this.

Good find! I can't say it particularly turns me off from the game, although 1 match video's hardly enough to tell.

To those that played Frontlines, how well-maintained was it? Were bugs fixed quickly? Were there balance issues that never got addressed?

mr_mich on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I pre ordered this from best buy since two of my regular crew from Blops are insisting we move to this when it comes out. I figure I would rather play this with people than try and go Blops alone in the pubs <shudder>

It comes with some sweet looking headphones, that will probably be cheap and fall apart...but hey I am still using the ones that came with my 360 so...thats nice

From everything I can scrape together about it, it looks a great deal like COD with maybe a splash of GRAW but with vehicles and bigger maps. I think it will be a blast if there is a large enough following to actually fill said maps, but I worry there wont be.

The developer pedigree was something I wasnt familiar with, now I am a little concerned about glitches and all that. I am still not worried about game balance and hacking, because lets face it COD has all but ignored those and we still play those to death.

I guess worst case scenario in a couple of months it will be 15-20 bucks towards our next attempt to replace Blops.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only thing that grabbed about this game is the premise. I love the fictional idea of war on continental USA rather then US soldiers going to some other country to do battle. I just think its fair in a comeuppance sort of way.

This game though isn't looking so hot but thankfully THQ is good friends with Steam sales so I expect this to be super cheap come Holiday time.

Also I don't care about multiplayer so that doesn't ever factor in my interests.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuadQuad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The shooting looks a hell of a lot better than the shit I put up with in Bad Company 2, so that's a plus.

I'm interested. But the map count is disappointingly low and, more importantly, they pushed the PC port onto Digital Extremes. So I'm waiting to hear back how well that version pans out.

Quad on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Quad wrote: »
    The shooting looks a hell of a lot better than the shit I put up with in Bad Company 2, so that's a plus.

I'm interested. But the map count is disappointingly low and, more importantly, they pushed the PC port onto Digital Extremes. So I'm waiting to hear back how well that version pans out.

To be fair though, they seem to be courting PC players quite a bit. Which is also a reason why it caught my attention. I just wish they'd release some high def PC footage.
    More here and here

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first time I heard and read about Homefront I was very interested, but then I saw the animations and well, they're really bad. BC2 has amazing animation so that's spoiled me.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

How many maps are there?

I'm kinda sorta interested but still just not quite sold on the game.

iRevert on
  • Options
    QuadQuad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    7 maps at launch. 360 gets a timed exclusive map for like a month or something so that pushes it to 8.

Quad on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    7 maps at launch. 360 gets a timed exclusive map for like a month or something so that pushes it to 8.

Interesting but I'm still thinking this is going to be a rental, to many red flags that I'm seeing to justify it being a buy.

iRevert on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm interested in it for 2 reasons: I really like the premise, and it is physically impossible to be as much of a disappointment to me as BLOPS and BFBC2 were.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm interested in it for 2 reasons: I really like the premise, and it is physically impossible to be as much of a disappointment to me as BLOPS and BFBC2 were.

There must be something wrong with you. BLOPS I can sorta understand, but BFBC2? Come on.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm getting this game for the single player story, but with SOCOM 4 around the corner, I'm not going to play Multiplayer a shit ton like I did with MW2. I'd turn BLOPS back in if I didn't love zombie mode so fucking much.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just watched like 45 minutes of Brink video.

I'm out from Homefront, lmk how it goes.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Lol, so you just made this thread and now you're all "peace"

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Woody's not feeling the game.
    If you're a CoD player and watch youtube commentaries you might know him.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    NeuralFizz wrote: »

Lol, so you just made this thread and now you're all "peace"

Yuppppppp.

I'm interested to see how Homefront turns out, in fact it'll be out months before Brink. Still, I'm not going to preorder it or anything cause I think Brink will fill that hole.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My first thought was: "BF2 on consoles? Counterstrike-esque shop system? Cool" than I kept looking at it, finally saw some solid MP vids, and thought "Looks too generic, gunplay looks weak, no thankyou."

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Some PC multiplayer footage is finally up. It does seem to look a lot better than on the consoles. Lighting and textures in particular. In the clip you even get to see some cocpit view of the vehicles and helis.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm hearing something about a
    korean robot dinosaur endboss?

I'm completely serious.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm hearing something about a
    korean robot dinosaur endboss?

I'm completely serious.

That would still make more sense than Modern Warfare 2's plot did.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Korean
    MechaGodzilla
    ? Huh.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well,
    Kim-Jong does have a thing for monster movies. Maybe he's having one built right now.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Truckasaurus Rex?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finkerton T. Parryricker?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've followed it pretty closely and from everything I've seen it looks good. I haven't seen a full length multiplayer game match though (youtube video was gone before I found the thread). But I think the story looks good, I don't really see the problem with graphics that everyone else has seen. All the negative responses in this thread do have me a bit nervous but since it launches tomorrow and I've already payed it off I might as well roll with it.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys

The campaign is balls

But the multi is rocking

This may or may not be an authoritative opinion

Jintor on