Options

[Homefront] - 2 reasons to quit COD and counting

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I play this one it'll be a rental for the multiplayer. I'm not even sure if I could stomach the Kaos Studio's plots anymore. They're just so absurd because they always deal with Peak Oil and Failing World Economy.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Waffen wrote: »
    If I play this one it'll be a rental for the multiplayer. I'm not even sure if I could stomach the Kaos Studio's plots anymore. They're just so absurd because they always deal with Peak Oil and Failing World Economy.

Don't bother then, you have to buy it new or pay for a pass to go past level 5 in multi. And from what I could tell, nothing interesting opens up until level 10.

I guess the whole online pass thing is easier to stomach in games like dead space. It seems a bit overboard in an online shooter. Especially if the story is as short as I've heard.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    god damn it. I swear to god the delivery driver at Purolator hates me. It's like he parks around the corner, fills out the packing slip with bullshit data and waits for me to leave, then speeds up, sprints to the door, sticks the little sticker thing on my door, sprints back to his truck and makes a mad fucking getaway, tires squealing and other packages flying out the back cackling all the while over how efficiently he avoided the work of bringing the package to me and letting me sign for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTlLOF2moxY

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trying to get into a multiplayer game (360 version) is completely borked. However in the few games I managed to get into it was a ton of fun. It's a bit more slow paced then Battle Field but still very very enjoyable. The guns and Grenade take awhile to get used to, and the animations for Grenade throwing and knifing are awkward. But if they get their online game system fixed I would heartily recommend the game.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nickle wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »

Don't bother then, you have to buy it new or pay for a pass to go past level 5 in multi. And from what I could tell, nothing interesting opens up until level 10.

I guess the whole online pass thing is easier to stomach in games like dead space. It seems a bit overboard in an online shooter. Especially if the story is as short as I've heard.

Really? Wow that sucks.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So how exactly does this wanted system work?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    NatelysOldManNatelysOldMan Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I was seriously considering Homefront, but then realized that I've sunk enough time into Black Ops online (more to come, for sure) and that I'm looking for something with a decent campaign for offline play when I feel like chilling alone, at my own pace.

Four hours? I'm not one to complain about a game's length, but four hours is really pushing it for me. Campaigns make me buy a game, multiplayer keeps me playing. It just doesn't seem that the multiplayer is really an improvement on Black Ops, just different.

NatelysOldMan on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    someone bottomline this is it good y or n?

jonny439 on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Opinions appear to be split pretty evenly down the middle. I'd say though that more people who have played mp like it than do not, so if you are buying it for mp ...

Bamelin on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, general consensus is the single player is extremely short, buggy, and of questionable writing quality.

Multiplayer opinions vary.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nickle wrote: »
    I'll have to try playing again later, but I wasn't exactly impressed. Game froze the fist time I tried playing single player, then I ran into quite a few glitches just playing through the first part (AI companions not opening doors when they should, forcing me to restart). All kinds of problems traversing the environment, getting stuck on stuff, or just getting stuck on flat ground like you're walking through molasses.

I only played a few matches of multi, and I probably won't play too much more because of their silly online pass type shenanigans. The rounds I did play weren't all that fun, since it was basically me and a bunch of other new guys getting spawn camped by an entire team of snipers. Who then got helicopters. That went on for a few rounds on a few different maps. It wasn't pretty.

Basically they took the worst part of battlefield (huge open maps for snipers) and the worst part of CoD (giving the winning team all kinds of goodies so they can uh..win harder, I guess?) and put them in a mixer, then made the controls and graphics worse. Then they decided it'd be a good idea to give each team only two spawn points out in the open. I've been getting back into BC2 lately, and that game looks and sounds so much better. The grenade throwing animation is particularly laughable (and you can't see where the hell you threw it), and the rest of the animations aren't much better. If you think BC2's controls are sluggish, just walk away now.

I'll give it another shot at some point, since I have the game for a bit, maybe I just got in a bad match, I don't know. I haven't tried all of the maps yet, maybe there are some decent ones. All I know is that what I've played so far has been pretty bad. Reminds me of blacklight tango down, which is not a good thing.

You didn't unlock Battle Commander game mode which deals with the worst part of camping snipers. I think it was a mistake of the devs not to have BC available from rank 1.

ALso I've noticed not very many people are using sentry drones yet. Sentry drones ruin snipers day ... once folks realize how much bps they can get spotting, I think that you'll see a lot of snipers finding themselves painted permanently red.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You have to unlock game modes now? What.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

It opens up early ... Can't remember if it was lvl 5 or 8. Don't know why they chose to do that although I suspect it was to lock out players who don't have an online pass.

Still a bad decision in my eyes as battle commander deals effectively with camping snipers.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think there's a good bit of bias in this stuff against fairly Standard practices for all games. You had to rank up a little to unlock modes in Call of Duty as well so don't act like it's a big new thing.

As for how the Battle Commander work's, is that after you kill so many people the commander will tell someone on the other team to come kill you and they mark you. The longer you go alive and kill more the More people the battle commander tells where you are and to kill you.

This can go for Sentry drones for marking, drones for killing, and just players themselves. It rewards the person who kills you more for however many people that are after you.

Also Multiplayer in this game is great, it's possibly the best balanced FPS I've played. If you are on a losing streak (was on a few myself after it got going) the game will give you a couple hundred battle points to get you off on the right foot. This allows you to (If you are horrendous) at least get to see some of the cool toys, and if you are just having a rough match lets you unlock a flack jacket or some such to start getting into drones, and vehicles that you are good in. It's a great system.

Personally I would say if you are getting a little tired of Battlefield/CoD:Blops, pick it up. It's great fun I played for hours on multiplayer alone despite it having some bad server issues tonight. It takes about an hour to get used to as you seem to run kinda slow, and the weapons feel weird, and Grenades throw real weird. But I wouldn't call the way the running, grenades, and weapons handle as bad it just takes getting used too. Once you are used to them though it's no problem and feels great.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    So how exactly does this wanted system work?

Awesomely.

The higher you killstreak, the higher your 'wanted level'. As you rank up your wanted level, you get little buffs related to what you've been doing - extra vehicle armour, slightly faster move speed, etc. In return increasing numbers of enemy combatants are notified of your 'general area' (a big circle on the radar that continually updates) where you might be around. They get extra cash benefits for offing you.

Multi is grand, but I don't think it's $89 Steam sale price grand. I'll grab it for PC when Steam Sales kick in.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    I think there's a good bit of bias in this stuff against fairly Standard practices for all games. You had to rank up a little to unlock modes in Call of Duty as well so don't act like it's a big new thing.

As for how the Battle Commander work's, is that after you kill so many people the commander will tell someone on the other team to come kill you and they mark you. The longer you go alive and kill more the More people the battle commander tells where you are and to kill you.

This can go for Sentry drones for marking, drones for killing, and just players themselves. It rewards the person who kills you more for however many people that are after you.

Also Multiplayer in this game is great, it's possibly the best balanced FPS I've played. If you are on a losing streak (was on a few myself after it got going) the game will give you a couple hundred battle points to get you off on the right foot. This allows you to (If you are horrendous) at least get to see some of the cool toys, and if you are just having a rough match lets you unlock a flack jacket or some such to start getting into drones, and vehicles that you are good in. It's a great system.

Personally I would say if you are getting a little tired of Battlefield/CoD:Blops, pick it up. It's great fun I played for hours on multiplayer alone despite it having some bad server issues tonight. It takes about an hour to get used to as you seem to run kinda slow, and the weapons feel weird, and Grenades throw real weird. But I
    wouldn't call the way the running, grenades, and weapons handle as bad it just takes getting used too. Once you are used to them though it's no problem and feels great.

I agree with you re mp. It's great. The reason I think though that they should have opened up battle commander from the very start is that there are alot of the people rushing to forums complaining of snipers without actually
    having tried the mode that neuters campers.

Also with so many low level people on the first day you've got very few people sentry spotting, very few people with effective anti air, and very few people who have unlocked battle commander ... All of which make a huge difference against campers, snipers and choppers

So keep in mind many of the negative impressions coming out are completely inaccurate of how the game will flow even 2 days from now.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In my mind BC is the only mode

Jintor on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bamelin wrote: »
    ALso I've noticed not very many people are using sentry drones yet. Sentry drones ruin snipers day ... once folks realize how much bps they can get spotting, I think that you'll see a lot of snipers finding themselves painted permanently red.

I tried to use the sentry. But all it seemed to be good for was buzzing a lot and getting shot. The screen told me to hold lmb to mark someone and I did that (a lot) and it just did nothing. The only thing it would actually mark was a bradley, any human target I tried it did nothing. I tried from every range too, as far as flying so low I almost literally hitting the dudes in the face and nothing.

Is there some secret to using them?

Sniping seems to be waaaaaay too effective. I was getting murdalized as a new recruit until I started just picking up the sniping (my team had a few competent guys that could assault zones so I could lay back and reap rewards and keep heat off of them). Then I was going 15-1, 20-1 and it seems if you are far enough away there's not a whole lot people can do about it, even if you get the 5 star 'wanted list' or whatever, which I did quite a few times and still never died. Though I think that was because they didn't have one of those predators up with the stupid missile, man I hate that thing. Keep in mind, I have never played a 'sniper' class in a game. I think if I combined my total amount of time between mw, mw2, blops, bf, bf2 and bfbc2 as a sniper it would be less than 2 hours total.

Also, what is up with the performance of the game? It seems the graphic engine swings wildly between really smooth (~62 fps) and then drops to 10-20 fps just randomly for extended times. Seems like it's related to the net code or something.

I really like the maps though. Just wish there were more of them. I played for a few hours and I think I only saw like 4 maps in the GC mode. Some of them are really large, which is great for all the [snp]_shadowninja_sniprz type kids.

I did have fun with the multi though. I really can't figure out what people dislike so much about it, other than it's not cod or bf.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Boogdud wrote: »

I tried to use the sentry. But all it seemed to be good for was buzzing a lot and getting shot. The screen told me to hold lmb to mark someone and I did that (a lot) and it just did nothing. The only thing it would actually mark was a bradley, any human target I tried it did nothing. I tried from every range too, as far as flying so low I almost literally hitting the dudes in the face and nothing.

Marking dudes pops them up on the UI and on the radar of allied combatants, so they can easily track 'em. Gets you kill assists as well. But, you know, you need allies who are competant. You get points for tracking dudes btw

Jintor on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    question: sniper rifles: if the crosshair is on the (for this example, completely stationary) enemy when you pull the trigger, does it hit the enemy unlike in call of duty? follow up: if the crosshair isn't on the enemy does it still hit just like in call of duty?

also, is quickscoping possible?

oh yeah, and shotguns? instant kill at 3 feet, pellets disappear at 3.5 feet? or viable non-retarded weapons?

oh oh oh, is there an instant kill bullshit magical teleport 30 feet knife while getting shot in the face but ignoring it because of PCP button?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

Marking dudes pops them up on the UI and on the radar of allied combatants, so they can easily track 'em. Gets you kill assists as well. But, you know, you need allies who are competant. You get points for tracking dudes btw

It's also pretty awesome if you are sniping on certain maps, I get into a high kinda covered area and will lay down. Throw up the recon drone and mark somebody that I know I can see from my spot. Pop Up cap him get the points for the drone assist, and the killing a drone target lay back down rinse, and repeat.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Sniping seems to be waaaaaay too effective. I was getting murdalized as a new recruit until I started just picking up the sniping (my team had a few competent guys that could assault zones so I could lay back and reap rewards and keep heat off of them). Then I was going 15-1, 20-1 and it seems if you are far enough away there's not a whole lot people can do about it, even if you get the 5 star 'wanted list' or whatever, which I did quite a few times and still never died. Though I think that was because they didn't have one of those predators up with the stupid missile, man I hate that thing. Keep in mind, I have never played a 'sniper' class in a game. I think if I combined my total amount of time between mw, mw2, blops, bf, bf2 and bfbc2 as a sniper it would be less than 2 hours total.

Also, what is up with the performance of the game? It seems the graphic engine swings wildly between really smooth (~62 fps) and then drops to 10-20 fps just randomly for extended times. Seems like it's related to the net code or something.

I really like the maps though. Just wish there were more of them. I played for a few hours and I think I only saw like 4 maps in the GC mode. Some of them are really large, which is great for all the [snp]_shadowninja_sniprz type kids.

I did have fun with the multi though. I really can't figure out what people dislike so much about it, other than it's not cod or bf.

I actually find sniping harder in this then it ever was in Bf or CoD. But then again I played hardcore modes in those so it was almost always hit them anywhere they die. In this it's two hits to kill unles you headshot.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

Yeah I got the point of it, but for whatever reason when I tried it last night the drone would never "lock on" to a target, it wouldn't even start with the 'white delta' marks that initially come before a lock on. It just did nothing, no matter how long I focused on an enemy.

I tried it again this morning and it worked correctly. So evidently it was bugged for me last night.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You have to do that in CoD as well so....why so surprised here?

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Because I quit caring about what CoD does a while ago. So excuse me if I'm surprised by this apparently common thing among CoD wannabes.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Because I quit caring about what CoD does a while ago. So excuse me if I'm surprised by this apparently common thing among CoD wannabes.

I would say this game falls way closer to Battlefield than it does to CoD.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I took a risk on this for PC and am regretting it thus far. The MP is great and runs well, except for when a bug cuts my FPS by 60% to <20. It happens intermittently and I have no clue what causes it. Its almost certainly graphics related, but I'm running the latest drivers and have tried tuning the ini a tiny bit so far but no dice.

If it gets patched, it will be worth it, but just a heads up it is a bit buggy in general.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Saw some MP videos last night and does give the Battlefield (wish that game series had a better name) vibe. But like all the other BC2 guys, the lack of destructive walls would become a big drawback in feel.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Saw some MP videos last night and does give the Battlefield (wish that game series had a better name) vibe. But like all the other BC2 guys, the lack of destructive walls would become a big drawback in feel.

It really is, my biggest complaint with the game is the Lack of bullet penetration and destructible environments. It's just so hard to get used to cover being invincible again.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am enjoying the hell out of this game. Online is fun but I only got one game in because of the server issues which is about the same as every other new game that comes out, "There, our servers are ready to go, wait, we have how many people playing? Crap, well, I am going to go get some more servers." I even really enjoyed the SP. It was, of course, short, but it had a good storyline, fun last level, and was entertaining (because of the back story that was put in, it made sense). Now if you are a SP only person, no, this game is not for you but it is great if you are either MP only and better yet if you are both.

Lt Muffin360 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm really enjoying MP, except for the performance issues everyone has noted.

I finally just lowered everything to "High" and unchecked the five boxes of "extras".

I also attempted to disable Physx in the ini file in My Games. Not sure if that helped.

When the weird performance dips come now at least it stays above 40 FPS. The mouse still feels inconsistent, really tight at the start of a round, and then more jittery towards the end.

I'm hoping THQ has some revelations about PC performance and issues a quick patch cause I really am enjoying the Multiplayer.

(i7 + 5870 + 4gigs)

no worries on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    on 360 how's the game populated so far?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lots of people on 360

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah just got into one of the full Battle Commander Ground Control Matches and it was awesome. Servers seem to be a lot better today than they were yesterday. My only complaint about Ground Control is it doesn't last long enough.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Yeah just got into one of the full Battle Commander Ground Control Matches and it was awesome. Servers seem to be a lot better today than they were yesterday. My only complaint about Ground Control is it doesn't last long enough.

1 minute into the game (still running to the landmarks): "Come on guys, we're losing this!" :shock:

Boogdud on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wasn't interested in this until I kept hearing how fun the multiplayer is from various people. Are most of you playing this on the PC or 360? It's even more tempting a purchase because the price is now only 41.96 instead of 59.99, but Shogun 2 just came out, too. The dilemma of choice!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    I wasn't interested in this until I kept hearing how fun the multiplayer is from various people. Are most of you playing this on the PC or 360? It's even more tempting a purchase because the price is now only 41.96 instead of 59.99, but Shogun 2 just came out, too. The dilemma of choice!

I would have felt that Dilema as well. If my computer could run Shogun :(

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So the only shotgun in the game is the pre-order one? That seems kinda weird.
    Of course, shotguns dont really work on a lot of maps, but still.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was hoping this game was gonna have an added dimension of base or resource management like Freedom Force ( or whatever the name of that OXB 3rd person game was where you fought off Russian invaders). I recall reading a preview that implied something along those lines.

Yall on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How are the sniper rifles? Are there chest 1-hit kills? Is there a clearly better one between the bolt-action and semi-auto?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.