As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E OOC] The Residuum Revolution Arcane and Strange

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i think only Ladej is suited to strength based anything

king could only help if somehow he could bluff the wall into thinking it's a window

i mean... at epic tier maybe

hmm

could run interference, yell at the other side of the door, confuse them

yes, i think, king will do exactly that

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That is a helluva bluff roll.

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Bluff DC 30 : people think you are gotdamn samuel l. jackson

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Strange:

A strength roll of 10 or higher will give Ladej a +2 to one of his rolls, allowing him to smash a hole in the wall. You might want to at least try it out.

daniant on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    daniant wrote: »
    Can I confess something?

I hate dwarves. I just hate them. I know some of you hate gnomes, half-orcs, etc.

But dwarves? A race of miners? I mean I love beer as much as the rest of them, but dwarves are boring. They don't even have an interesting religion. Bleah, dwarves.

Well this doesn't bode well!

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    daniant wrote: »
    Can I confess something?

I hate dwarves. I just hate them. I know some of you hate gnomes, half-orcs, etc.

But dwarves? A race of miners? I mean I love beer as much as the rest of them, but dwarves are boring. They don't even have an interesting religion. Bleah, dwarves.

Well this doesn't bode well!

I should have said that I hate playing as dwarves.

daniant on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know, but now I have some damning evidence if you murder Tordain in cold blood!

Also, actual game thing - can we start busting on the wall with some weapons if we're not able to bash it down? I know this huge hammer might have a little more to say than my straight strength check, even if I was able to assist twice.

Scratch that, just saw the update!

So Strange crew, think we should just rush south past the guard for the horses, or try to sneak around some other way?

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are there any other options? Go beg a favor from the temple of Erathis, maybe? Try to get over the wall and across the river? Actually that'd be pretty funny, probably. Let's do that.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Strange:

Well, if the guards inside are not completely dead, we could patch them up and actually use them as hostages to negotiate our escape.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if trying to swim a river while people who probably have access to bows are staring straight at us is a great idea. I kind of like the hostage idea but have you ever heard of a hostage taker who actually got what they wanted? We could definitely use them as a distraction to make it into the temple or another building, start dodging between buildings and then either get to the stables or at least have some confusion in our favour if we have to swim for it.

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of creating confusion, does anyone have good ways to do so without burning down the town or endangering the townsfolk?

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Turanos wrote: »
    I kind of like the hostage idea but have you ever heard of a hostage taker who actually got what they wanted?

you are half right

because the thing is we don't ask for what we want

we ask for something else and get what we want anyway
    Speaking of creating confusion, does anyone have good ways to do so without burning down the town or endangering the townsfolk?

confusion is one of King's specialties. he'll be able to think of something when the need arises.

what is it with adventurers and burning down towns?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We could combine the ideas. Ask for Erathis priests to come "negotiate" with Tordain the release of the "hostages", and then go there or try to make it out of town.

I'm not sure we have a lot of options other than run past them, fight them, or negotiate/bluff/intimidate them without another exit in the building.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    King could disguise himself as one of the hostages.

Commandeer some horses, with the instruction not to be followed and to wait exactly one hour for further instructions.

While he's doing that, skip off to wherever you're going to meet him.

This is the most hare-brained idea I can come up with before having my morning coffee, which is why I like it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have another possible idea along those lines:

1. Have Slip take the form of the Captain.
    2. The King tells the following tall tale: "The Captain" is alive and well, but our pal, the changeling, perished in the fight. He retained the form of the last person he shapeshifted into, i.e. the Captain. We require horses for ourselves and our hostage. After one hour, we will send "the Captain" back with money to raise our dead compatriot. After the Erathites do that, our man will take the horse and leave town, unmolested or something something will be bad and stuff.
    3. ???
    4. Profit.

It has hilariously odds for failure, but it...just...might...work.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Strange: any number of these options have the opportunity for fun and profit. For me.

Go fer it!

Arcane: ready when you are. If someones untying the elf, depositing the elf with the camp, ect, please state that. Otherwise, I'm posting the next leg of your trip.

Everyone: I'm going to tell you when you level up based on what level I think you should be at. An encounter is over when I post without mentioning an initiative order.

Transitions from combat to rp can be difficult in pbp, so if I'm waiting around for a few days and noone has made a decision for the group I will post the next phase in the action/adventure.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just wanted to let you all know that I'm leaving the country today, for a little over a week. I'm hoping to have regular enough Internet to continue to post at least once every day or two, but I won't know if that'll be the case until I'm there. If you're all waiting on me for longer than that span feel free to assume I go along with whatever the party is doing at the time/just roll things for me.

I'll try to let you know once I'm there what the situation will be.

Turanos on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ARCANE

I have no Nature bonus' to speak of so I'm all for following the river east. I have a high Bluff mod, so I can talk my way out of most situations should we encounter trouble (I promise I won't go murdering every Nk'bara we pass).

Also daniant, how much XP did we generate for this encounter?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dani, sounds good too me. Less book-keeping.

I made a nature roll (might as well)--but am happy just following the river or taking the side path.

streever on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would prefer taking a side path, but if the less squishy people are leading then the river's fine =P.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure Dani has something [strike]horrible[/strike]wonderful planned regardless of the path we choose, but Riishi would also stay off the river path (if our nature rolls permit it).

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Strange

I should indeed be able to post once every day or two, so I'll be able to participate when necessary. I am working on a laptop that is not my own, though, and a very dodgy internet connection, so I'm not going to be writing War and Peace or anything. For now assume Mnemo continues to follow the group silently.

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fyden has Knack for Success--half-elf racial encounter power that lets me give a free shift (2 squares), a saving throw, a +2 to your next attack, or a +4 to your next skill check. I assume I can use it out of combat occasionally, as long as a short rest has elapsed? so keep that in mind when rolling skills/navigating in the wilderness.

As long as Daniant is cool with it, I'll give Dietrich a +4 on his next perception roll to peer about the clearing.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Strange

I would suggest mingling into the revelers, if we didn't have crystal golem with us.

On the other hand, let's get krunked up, people.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    streever wrote: »
    Fyden has Knack for Success--half-elf racial encounter power that lets me give a free shift (2 squares), a saving throw, a +2 to your next attack, or a +4 to your next skill check. I assume I can use it out of combat occasionally, as long as a short rest has elapsed? so keep that in mind when rolling skills/navigating in the wilderness.

As long as Daniant is cool with it, I'll give Dietrich a +4 on his next perception roll to peer about the clearing.

Good/done.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fyden is !ready to walk into that clearing like a sucker.

streever on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why does the image of an anglerfish come to mind?

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Strange

Come along, people! There's distractions to be made! :)

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i am very good at making/causing distractions

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Strange:

I can't wait to see what you'll think up next!

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well the Circus King has failed by being too scary

but maybe the rest of the group could try to go for the circus angle

i mean we have The Amazing Man Who Is Constantly On Fire...

the Bearded Lady Who Looks Like A Dwarf...

the Iron Maiden... :P

the Magical Fantastical Rock

and The Incredible Escape Artist

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I sure wish I could retrain something to Bluff.

Oh, well, hopefully, that roll will help a little bit.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ARCANE

Well, that was a particularly terrible perception roll.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    FinkleFinkle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arcane

Meant to post this a few days ago, but kudos to Fyden for setting up some nice RP opportunities around the campfire - always appreciated!

Finkle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No problem :) I thought that would be good. Get some of our characters story out there.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Strange
    So ... we run for it? Any other ideas?

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Our Hexblade has a 10 in Bluff; I think he should give it a go before we bolt.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay, otherwise Tordain may have to Thomas Paine this up and start calling for a revolution against the corruption of the government in this area. Might be effective if I can use religion to give a good ol' fire and brimstone speech.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Arcane:

Tordain can totally use religion. I'm not a skill challenge nazi, so if you can use the skills you have and justify using them via your words/actions, please go for it. I approve of thinking outside the box and want to reward you for cool and interesting ideas...that make sense.

Also, are we waiting on our Hexblade here?

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    did that little kid call us weird

how dare she

if we blow this skill challenge we shall leave in such a huff

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg