As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Having trouble running BG2 with Wine

Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy, folks.

I am running the most basic 13" Macbook Pro from Feb '11--definitely a machine that is capable of running BGII (it runs League of Legends and TF2 without a hiccup), although I know there are some complications with older games.

Earlier today I decided to try to get BGII going on my machine. I downloaded it from gog.com and set about making Wine work--first the old-fashioned way, with MacPorts, but MacPorts kept insisting Xcode wasn't installed when it was, so I gave up.

Then I downloaded Winebottler and tried running that, and yada yada. After some work, I can get Throne of Bhaal running--technically. The start goes up, and it tells me that because this is my first time playing, I need to configure things.

This is where things get tricky. All the resolutions options are greyed out, and it's stuck on the lowest. On any settings but the absolute lowest the game immediately crashes--on the lowest, it (very haltingly) makes it to the start screen, but my computer is clearly having some issues with it. Most of the time, though, I get a pretty generic error code saying something like "these settings don't work with this computer."

Any thoughts on what I might try?

Thank you.

Charles Kinbote on

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    if you go to the install folder location, can you run the bgconfig separately? i don't have anything useful to help getting run on the macbook but i know that even on my newer pc i have to play with the display settings quite a bit to not have crashes.

Pailryder on