Options

PAX East 2012/Anime Boston overlap

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying - even if it does still suck royally for those of us with family.

Maybe I'll have to bring the boy in for Sunday. Have a swag hunt instead of an Easter Egg hunt :)

Can I officially request an Easter Egg hunt in some form for the kids?

i would guess no on the easter egg hunt, being a religious holiday and all. but a secular swag hunt seems like a neat idea.

I was thinking Easter Egg was a gaming term so it works in two ways :)

ha! totally missed that. you win.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When are people planning to book hotels? I want to try to get a room at the Westin for next year. Should I book now or wait until the discounts are negotiated? How much are the discounts and how fast do they fill up? Sorry for all the questions. This year was my first PAX and I'm hooked. I really want to do it right next year.

LordGimmik on
  • Options
    kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for jumping in with the info. I hope that puts to rest any thoughts of PAX being bullies trying to harass the little guy. (Like PAXers don't know what it feels like to be bullied... yeesh!)

I think you have some great proactive ideas to make the best of a not-ideal situation.

LordGimmik wrote: »
    When are people planning to book hotels? I want to try to get a room at the Westin for next year. Should I book now or wait until the discounts are negotiated? How much are the discounts and how fast do they fill up? Sorry for all the questions. This year was my first PAX and I'm hooked. I really want to do it right next year.

I would like some insight into this as well. I was thinking of getting my room as soon as the date was announced... but then someone at PAX said its actually better to wait and book with the PAX group because they are less likely to bump people from the group rate. So maybe get the hotel room right after PAX announces the hotel booking URL?

kitties_on_acid on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for clarifying - even if it does still suck royally for those of us with family.

Maybe I'll have to bring the boy in for Sunday. Have a swag hunt instead of an Easter Egg hunt :)

Can I officially request an Easter Egg hunt in some form for the kids?

i would guess no on the easter egg hunt, being a religious holiday and all. but a secular swag hunt seems like a neat idea.

I was thinking Easter Egg was a gaming term so it works in two ways :)

ha! totally missed that. you win.

was thinking the same thing about the easter egg/gaming term thing, hell the PAX Exp hunt was basically an Easter Egg hunt(find the hidden extra in the main event). while i guess i can imagine a few people taking offence(but only cause i find it easier to expect the worst and hope for the best), i doubt it would be cause any major problems. certainly nothing as big as the booth babe or dickwolf issues did this year.

as for the main issue, i have to admit that reading the thread at first i thought more on the lines that everyone at Penny Arcade and those who help organize PAX on their behalf where more concerned with getting their own house in order to take the time to consider any kind of overlap. to hear that not only is it something they've taking into consideration but they are also trying to work out as best fitting a compromise on their own behalf now it has happened just makes me respect all those involved even more.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Robert, can you tell us if OnPeak is already talking with the Westin about pulling rooms for the convention block? Since the dates have gone public I'd be worried about reservations. :\ (Especially since I'm tapped out and won't be able to go make a reservation for a month or two!)

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    cryptoengineercryptoengineer Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Well, my daughter and I went to our first PAX this weekend, and had a great time.

But we won't be there next year, because of the conflict.

So, that's at least two people who given the choice, will go to AB.

ce

cryptoengineer on
  • Options
    ROFLROFL Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for jumping in, Khoo. As I was saying, it's not something that you guys would do (purposely going at another convention? don't think so)

On the other subject, Easter Eggs are in no way religious :3 so maybe an easter egg hunt could be done (all video game jokes included, of course)
    Maybe we an age cap? so it could be done for kids or something. that way families who are going would have something fun for the kids that relates to the holiday. That and free candy/fun is always good for kids. There's possibilities at a con like this that is so friendly and is so open to all ages. It's something to look into!

ROFL on
  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll likely go to both, especially if there is a free shuttle set up between the two. PAX during the day and AB in the evening. Probably staying at a hotel near AB because I'll be cosplaying there.

I think if the two events work together, this could be a good experience for attendees who want to experience both.

stardust462 on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's already showing as "Not available" for the entire weekend, so I'm guessing they already did pull the rooms.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    It's already showing as "Not available" for the entire weekend, so I'm guessing they already did pull the rooms.
    Awesome, that's good to hear.

Themiscyra on
  • Options
    LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well - I just made all my calls. The vast majority of my group won't be going next year due to the conflict with Easter. They have family obligations that they are (rightfully) unwilling to miss. I don't know if I'll be attending either. My family will most likely disown me if I skip Easter to go to a gaming convention. Taking my family isn't an option. Why in the World would the powers that be book PAX on a weekend that coincides with a major religious holiday? I don't see how this won't completely kill attendance.

Is there any chance (at all) that this date will change?

LordGimmik on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What'd be awesome, is if PAX and AB create a combo-badge for both. Let's say for example, a PAX and AB 3 day badge are each $50. For say, $80, you get both and PAX and AB split the cash. Even though each side makes a little less, attendees can attend both and not be heavily penalized for it.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    KiarrensKiarrens Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    DragonPup wrote: »
    What'd be awesome, is if PAX and AB create a combo-badge for both. Let's say for example, a PAX and AB 3 day badge are each $50. For say, $80, you get both and PAX and AB split the cash. Even though each side makes a little less, attendees can attend both and not be heavily penalized for it.

Sadly, this just isn't possible. AnimeBoston is a non-profit organization whereas PAX is for-profit. There really isn't any way the two events can coincide in this manner. (Post linked below isn't 100% for this situation, but close.)

http://forums.animeboston.com/showpost.php?post/194310/

Kiarrens on
  • Options
    StraderStrader Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why in the World would the powers that be book PAX on a weekend that coincides with a major religious holiday? I don't see how this won't completely kill attendance.

Personally im not a religous person so it dosen't bother me at all and i seriously doubt that penny arcade readers are very religious also. Just my 2 cents

Strader on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Strader wrote: »
    Why in the World would the powers that be book PAX on a weekend that coincides with a major religious holiday? I don't see how this won't completely kill attendance.

Personally im not a religous person so it dosen't bother me at all and i seriously doubt that penny arcade readers are very religious also. Just my 2 cents

Easter, despite it's origins, isn't necessarily a religious thing. I'm not religious but I certainly have the Easter bunny visit, and I know there are a lot of PA parents out there. Also, you might not be religious but there may be an expectation that your family eat Easter dinner together.

I'm really disappointed in the decision but my wife's comment was simply "maybe we'll all go" which is awesome.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    poisonxpoisonx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Same here i'm not spending Easter at Pax, if it does fall of Easter Weekend i'll go friday, saturday and leave saturday night like I did this year.

poisonx on
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's pretty sad, but inevitable. I'm not a huge anime person but I've attended AB every since 2005 and will, last-minute, probably attend this year too. I'm a practicing Catholic and have attended cons on Easter weekend. It can be done, depending on your casual-level and comfort-level.

In 2007, the same Easter-will-impact attendance argument came up for AB in regards to AB 2008. AB 2008, however, was the historical "line-con", with the venue not having access to the Sheraton that year and the staff and convention staff not being able to keep up with the badge demand, having attendees wait upwards to 10 hours in line to get a badge. I think an Easter weekend 2012 PAX East may prevent it from breaking the PAX East 2011 attendance record, but it won't be such a *big* deal considering people will come no matter what (or just skip out on Sunday).

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    RappakRappak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At AB, some people do skip out on Sunday or go to a church around there. You maybe able to find a group to go to a church around there as to not be alone on the holiday mass. There was few groups last year and I'm sure there will be groups this year at AB and people wanting to do that at next years PAX.

Rappak on
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's a shame both cons will coincide the same weekend but at least it won't affect me. I went to one anime convention in the past (Otakon) and felt out of place since I was surrounded by bigger anime fans than myself. I only really enjoyed a viewing of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and looking at the cosplayers. I ended up leaving early to see an Orioles game anyway

And, well, I'm Jewish (albeit unreligious) so that covers Easter

Rayze on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm more upset that it would be Easter weekend. Mike and Jerry both have families and should maybe respect that Easter is a time that most of us spend with our kids. I'll take the Easter Bunny and an egg hunt with my kid during the few years that he'll believe in that over PAX without even thinking.

Agreed. I won't be able to go Sunday now. Also, my friend who GOT me into PAX is uber-Christian (in a good way) and won't be able to go now because Easter is a big deal with his family...

I've already pretty much given up on AB. Been going for five years to that gig, and I've outgrown it. The only reason why I'd go now would be to meet up with PAX peeps.

I wouldn't dramatize things because we don't REALLY know what other people's motives are. Finger pointing isn't productive either, so I'm just going to accept what's been decided and hope that I can at least have a happy PAX, even if a slightly shorter one.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To put things in perspective: PAX Prime tends to happen on the same weekend as a large Washington state music festival called bumbershoot. I'd love to check out bumbershoot some year but I don't because I'd rather go to pax. I don't think it has anything do with pax throwing its weight around, more that scheduling events of this size is hard and you're bound to be stepping on somebody's toes.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

this past new york comic con was split with the ny anime festival. same building, same weekend, one pass for both.

apparently, there was a lot of stress between the comic kids and the anime kids. a lot of people posted on the nycc facebook that it was a horrible idea to put both cons together because, not only did some people not get along, but both con's became smaller since they were both trying to share the same space.

and also, i agree with everyone that putting paxE on easter weekend was a bad idea. personally, i haven't celebrated easter in years, so it doesn't bother me. but it's sad to read that people are already stressing about if they can make their beloved convention next year.
    perhaps the people of paxE can make a two day friday/sat badge, and a three day all weekend badge?

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was a little concerned at first, but now I'm really excited... I already have my game plan all set up... lol

friday:
    8-12 pax 12-6 AB 6-2 pax

saturday
    same as friday

sunday
    go see some family have dinner, go to pax for the remainder of the day!

I think that sounds like a pretty sweet plan myself, and maybe get a group together to go with...

Korvas on
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I can't really complain. PAX Prime took place last year over Labor Day weekend (also a fairly important end-of-summer holiday for a lot of families). I am generally more busy/committed to things then than I am over Easter.

It really comes down to PAX needing the space a week before and several days after to setup/teardown, and needing the city to be relatively empty at the time (no marathon, etc). Yes PAX is one of the largest events Boston has ever seen, but it is barely 2 years old now. A lot of the other conferences have previously signed multi-year deals, taking a lot of dates off the table for now. Other events around Boston and the country also affect things, as Khoo mentioned. The marathon is a Boston institution, and always occurs the third week of April. GDC 2012 is March 5-9th next year, which takes out another week or two from the running.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    PAX CreeperPAX Creeper Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I highly doubt they would schedule PAX the same weekend to bully and steal people from the anime convention. And if you people have an issue with PAX being a profit con, then dont go and stop the complaining. simple as that.

PAX Creeper on
  • Options
    frostboltfrostbolt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I personally love the idea that AB and PAX will overlap next year. I wanted to get to both this year, but taking two long weekends with admission, hotels, food and travel was way out of my budget. Having both the same weekend is a great opportunity to check out AB since I'll be going to PAX next year anyways.

This is a win-win situation. If you're interested in both cons you have the opportunity to get to both without traveling twice, and if you are only interested in one, then it's a non-issue for you.

frostbolt on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kid_nyc wrote: »

this past new york comic con was split with the ny anime festival. same building, same weekend, one pass for both.

apparently, there was a lot of stress between the comic kids and the anime kids. a lot of people posted on the nycc facebook that it was a horrible idea to put both cons together because, not only did some people not get along, but both con's became smaller since they were both trying to share the same space.

I'm going to confirm this (I was at NYCC/NYAF). Anime culture - especially convention culture - is actually very, very different from comic book/game culture. Comic nerds and gamers are a generally older, more mature crowd; anime kids are a bit loud and somewhat boisterous. NYCC had a whole lot of resentment on both sides - comic fans wanted the anime fans out of their way and to stop taking up space in the halls, anime fans... pretty much felt the same way. It'd be a disaster.

I'm 99.9% certain that this is just an unlucky coincidence. I Suggest You Come To Terms With It.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Since people seem to still be speculating one mere page after this was posted, I'll quote it for ... let's say ... emphasis.
    Whoa whoa whoa, everyone. There's a lot of mud being thrown around here, and i want to clarify some things:

A. The only people to blame for this is us. Obviously Anime Boston has nothing to do with it, and neither does the MCCA/Boston/Reed. There are a number of factors playing into the decision to choose Easter Weekend, including:

1. Actually having dates where the entirety of the convention center is open, and that's not just for show days. It takes us five full days to setup and two full days to strike.
    2. Not overlapping the Boston Marathon
    3. Not being close to any large event/conferences within boston that would hurt our ability to negotiate for lower hotel room rates for attendees.
    4. Not overlapping with GDC (since many developers and publishers go to both)
    5. Not overlapping with Anime Boston
    6. Not overlapping with SXSW
    7. As far away from PAX Prime the previous year (so not too early) so we can plan the show.
    8. As far away from PAX Prime, E3 and SDCC the next year (so not too late).

So, that said, when looking at that list, I came to the realization a long time ago fulfilling all of those is an impossibility. One of two of those gives every year. (same with prime, only with different criteria/shows) For instance, this year we needed to overlap with SXSW, and tons of speakers and guests couldn't make it because they were booked for that. It's just a reality of the show.

That list is pretty much in order of importance. Tough decisions need to get made because of it, and to get #s 1-3 in alignment, #s 4, 5 or 6 had be compromised. It's unfortunate, but it had to happen.

B. It is in NO ONE'S best interest that we overlap with each other. IT ONLY HURTS BOTH SHOWS. I have no desire to "crush" another show or anything like that - the dates fell as the dates fell.

C. I spoke with Nick Amento over at A/B last week about it, and I'll tell you the same thing I told him. We'll do whatever we can to help support their show. A free booth selling A/B badges, letting them run shuttles from here to their show - I'm down with whatever helps them succeed.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some insight into our thought process and that it's not some sort of flippant decision. Thanks everyone.

-robert

zerzhul on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The driving force behind the move, I believe, is cash.

AB has always made it well known that it's a lot cheaper for them (and the attendees) if the convention runs on Easter.
    I have no reason not to believe that Pax would not have gotten a similiar deal if they moved to Easter weekend.

The problem with this is that the AB crowd now has to choose. Yes, AB is an anime con, but it's no secret that adults are outnumbered by teens 5 - 1 at AB, and the younger crowd, needless to say, are rabid video game players.
    Which will they choose?

I do have to agree with a previous poster, though, for events running in the evening, AB wins (they aren't all kid friendly).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Probably not as a whole, but some of us are, and for the rest, especially us older gamers its still a day of the year traditionally spent with family and doing activities with young children. Even people who don't believe in Jesus still do the whole Easter bunny thing. Might be why AB gets such an less mature crowd, when I was younger skipping Easter was not as big a deal. I'm a little surprised Mike and Jerry are getting away with it or okay with it having kids of their own they would at the very least understand the obligation. For many of my friends PAX was a weekend we could get away with being away from the wife or family and kids and get back to being a bunch of guys, but I would choose to stay home at Easter, and not because I fear being disowned by my wife or religious guilt, its just the responsible thing to do.

terrix on
  • Options
    TweekinatorTweekinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    terrix wrote: »
    Probably not as a whole, but some of us are, and for the rest, especially us older gamers its still a day of the year traditionally spent with family and doing activities with young children. Even people who don't believe in Jesus still do the whole Easter bunny thing. Might be why AB gets such an less mature crowd, when I was younger skipping Easter was not as big a deal. I'm a little surprised Mike and Jerry are getting away with it or okay with it having kids of their own they would at the very least understand the obligation. For many of my friends PAX was a weekend we could get away with being away from the wife or family and kids and get back to being a bunch of guys, but I would choose to stay home at Easter, and not because I fear being disowned by my wife or religious guilt, its just the responsible thing to do.

Exactly; why would PAX scramble to avoid everything but a major holiday? Is the date so inflexible that it can't be shifted a month in either direction?

Tweekinator on
  • Options
    ExplosionExplosion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm a little surprised Mike and Jerry are getting away with it or okay with it having kids of their own they would at the very least understand the obligation. For many of my friends PAX was a weekend we could get away with being away from the wife or family and kids and get back to being a bunch of guys, but I would choose to stay home at Easter, and not because I fear being disowned by my wife or religious guilt, its just the responsible thing to do.

It sounds like your priorities are just different from a lot of people. For me (and a lot of geek couples I know) PAX is a thing I do with my wife, not to get away from her.

I don't really know how to say it without being inflammatory, but there are a lot of religious holidays scattered throughout the year. Your holiday is no more important than any other; Jews might have to choose if it fell on Passover, for instance. PAX is secular, and a large portion of the nerd crowd is atheist or agnostic.

Explosion on
  • Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Having been to Anime Boston and to PAX I feel I can say that I would gladly put Anime Boston on the sacrificial alter to have PAX on Easter weekend. It would mean we use 1 less vacation day from work (those of us who have jobs) and I can enjoy PAX in April and the city of Boston in warmer weather (see data below).

There are a thousand anime cons in any given year ... there are only 2 PAXes. If for the good of the many (pax has 60+k attendees) one of the few must suffer then I can live with it.

Ricin

Relevant weather data @: http://www.cityrating.com/cityweather.asp?city=Boston

Ricin on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm going to confirm this (I was at NYCC/NYAF). Anime culture - especially convention culture - is actually very, very different from comic book/game culture. Comic nerds and gamers are a generally older, more mature crowd; anime kids are a bit loud and somewhat boisterous. NYCC had a whole lot of resentment on both sides - comic fans wanted the anime fans out of their way and to stop taking up space in the halls, anime fans... pretty much felt the same way. It'd be a disaster.

I have pretty much decided to completely stop going to NYCC because they merged. I was already sick of how much anime was at NYCC and combining them put me over the edge. I know why they did it, but I still don't think it's a good decision.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    StraderStrader Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I can understant the family argument but to me what difference does the date make? You could have an easter dinner with your family the week before or after ? But again its hard for me to relate to that since im an atheist and my family never really celebrated easter.

Strader on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Explosion wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised Mike and Jerry are getting away with it or okay with it having kids of their own they would at the very least understand the obligation. For many of my friends PAX was a weekend we could get away with being away from the wife or family and kids and get back to being a bunch of guys, but I would choose to stay home at Easter, and not because I fear being disowned by my wife or religious guilt, its just the responsible thing to do.

It sounds like your priorities are just different from a lot of people. For me (and a lot of geek couples I know) PAX is a thing I do with my wife, not to get away from her.

I don't really know how to say it without being inflammatory, but there are a lot of religious holidays scattered throughout the year. Your holiday is no more important than any other; Jews might have to choose if it fell on Passover, for instance. PAX is secular, and a large portion of the nerd crowd is atheist or agnostic.

My wife loves games and computers - but my son has been too young to go. Therefore PAX has been my vacation for myself, just like she enjoys her New Kids on the Block concerts without me. We've actually liked having it this way - it creates "men's weekend" for me and my son when she's drooling over NKOTB and "date weekend" for her and him when I'm gone.

It's not that Easter is a religious holiday - it's a family holiday. There are always easter egg hunts and activities that have nothing to do with church. We don't get many years when kids buy into the Easter Bunny so it's hard to give up if they're at that age.

With that said I'm changing my approach to PAX next year - I think I'll go Friday/Saturday and have them join me on Sunday, or we'll make a family weekend of it and figure out what to do about concerts somehow. It would be great if they could do something a little special for the kids on Sunday - a mini scavenger hunt would be really neat.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    apologies already for this being off-topic.
    I have pretty much decided to completely stop going to NYCC because they merged. I was already sick of how much anime was at NYCC and combining them put me over the edge. I know why they did it, but I still don't think it's a good decision.

that's a shame. i read similar things on the nycc facebook/message board and thought it was too bad. i think you should give it another go. maybe i was just to ubber excited about being there that i didn't pay attention to the anime vs comic nonsense, but i don't think you should give up the con all together. for me, this was my 2 nycc, and i really didn't feel that the anime part intruded on the comic book part. it seems that any comic con would have something involving anime/manga anyway, and what i saw seemed ok.

i mean, this past year was the first time the two cons were put together. maybe they can get all the quirks out for this upcomming year. i think the nycc heard all the complaints loud and clear.

but anyway.......

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    OcTavius12OcTavius12 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PAX wins

OcTavius12 on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    apologies already for this being off-topic.

that's a shame. i read similar things on the nycc facebook/message board and thought it was too bad. i think you should give it another go. maybe i was just to ubber excited about being there that i didn't pay attention to the anime vs comic nonsense, but i don't think you should give up the con all together. for me, this was my 2 nycc, and i really didn't feel that the anime part intruded on the comic book part. it seems that any comic con would have something involving anime/manga anyway, and what i saw seemed ok.

i mean, this past year was the first time the two cons were put together. maybe they can get all the quirks out for this upcomming year. i think the nycc heard all the complaints loud and clear.

but anyway.......

There was already a ton of anime at NYCC the year before they merged and I really didn't have any faith in them being able to have the same amount of floor space and panels dedicated to comics after merging. If I wanted to go to an anime con I would, but I don't and I don't want to go to a watered down comic con either.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Exactly; why would PAX scramble to avoid everything but a major holiday? Is the date so inflexible that it can't be shifted a month in either direction?
    Bluntly, it probably is. I think a lot of people are underestimating how much demand there is for convention space in Boston -- industry shows, flower and garden events, wedding expos, professional conferences, you name it. And PAX signed a multi-year contract. I sincerely doubt the dates can be changed at this point.

I'm sorry for those of you who feel you can't make it because of AnimeBoston or Easter, but I don't think there's anything that can be done at this time.

Themiscyra on
This discussion has been closed.