As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] ME FIVE!

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Someone tried to bully me once.

I punched them in the face, took my suspension like a champ, and was never bothered again.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The most biblical thing about that abortion thread is the strength of the shit storm its gonna cause.

You know what? I hope Shanadeus sticks around. I think he's probably in that age range where debate is scintillating and exciting and he thinks he knows so much, so he keeps making really inflammatory and tiresome topics, but he argues in good faith and sticks around to tend his shitstorms.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woo, time for lunch.

Be good to each other, [chat].

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Monday morning, Vari. Pretty sure the Continental Congresses didn't convene on Sunday.

Also,
    "I'm to be congratulated."
    "You?"
    "For making him write it."
    "Oh, I see."
    :whistle:
    It's a masterpiece I say,
    they will cheer every word, every letter.
    I wish I felt that way.
    I believe I can put it better.

I have the original, non-Nixon-edited version on DVD. :twisted:

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    I have never experienced and can't comprehend a teacher saying 'there's nothing I can do'

I actually can't even properly emotionally respond to it in a story because it makes absolutely no sense and I have no point of reference.

Find a school administrator who's at the 20 year mark and hit the realization that every damn strategy they've tried to stop and prevent bullying has been a failure short of getting the fucker into counseling which most likely they don't have the resources or parental support for. And they will give that answer.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Is abortion is biblical."

Christ.

Take that thing out and shoot it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In biblical times they thought babies were grown from seeds or something. Why do we trust biblical authority on biological matters?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Monday morning, Vari. Pretty sure the Continental Congresses didn't convene on Sunday.

Also,
    "I'm to be congratulated."
    "You?"
    "For making him write it."
    "Oh, I see."
    It's a masterpiece I say,
    they will cheer every word, every letter.
    I wish I felt that way.
    I believe I can put it better.

I have the original, non-Nixon-edited version on DVD. :twisted:

hmmm, I have the 'director's cut' dvd

peter
    pin
    peter
    pin
    peter
    pin
    peter

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I have never experienced and can't comprehend a teacher saying 'there's nothing I can do'

I actually can't even properly emotionally respond to it in a story because it makes absolutely no sense and I have no point of reference.

Find a school administrator who's at the 20 year mark and hit the realization that every damn strategy they've tried to stop and prevent bullying has been a failure short of getting the fucker into counseling which most likely they don't have the resources or parental support for. And they will give that answer.

I don't doubt it

Variable on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Is abortion is biblical."

Christ.

Take that thing out and shoot it.

Did you read the first two posts or are you just shitting on the thread because of the title? He makes an interesting (though misguided) point.

And it brings up the very, very important issue of where the dogmas of various modern Christian religions actually come from. The answer is very rarely in scripture.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The most biblical thing about that abortion thread is the strength of the shit storm its gonna cause.

You know what? I hope Shanadeus sticks around. I think he's probably in that age range where debate is scintillating and exciting and he thinks he knows so much, so he keeps making really inflammatory and tiresome topics, but he argues in good faith and sticks around to tend his shitstorms.

He is basically what every jaded regular was eight or so years ago.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

That's like, everyone here that's still in college or below.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Being ineffective, while creating rules that prevent kids from defending themselves, is sick and wrong.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Being ineffective, while creating rules that prevent kids from defending themselves, is sick and wrong.

well

I don't think there's an answer to stopping kids from being bullies

and, you can't just let kids hit other kids

so I'm not gonna pretend they aren't in a really really hard spot.

that being said, it bothers me that the principle wouldn't at least try disciplinary actions

Variable on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't draw. This annoys me.

There's so many things I want to create, but i just can't draw them out.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »

That didn't stop Picasso.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bullying is a fucking pain in the ass to stop. Usually if the kid is known to be a bully most schools and teachers I know and have worked with will give the kid who fought back a break. Maybe just a scolding or something.

But really if you try to intervene as a teacher sometimes it gets better. Most of the time it just happens when you are not around and gets worse.

Really the kids usually need counseling and a lot more than just punishment to stop the bullying. Its not an easy problem to fix/end no matter what one thinks.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

That pretty much describes my entire grade school experience.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

This happens to me all the time, really frustrating.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's self-defense on their part. Bullying doesn't show up directly on statistics. And schools and school funding is driven on statistics. Violence in schools does show up on statistics and is tracked. So you take a problem that is both difficult and resource intensive to stop but doesn't affect the budget directly and it tends to get ignored. But the kid who is being picked on creates a problem that is solvable and does impact the budget and parent reaction. So rules get tightened for one, but not the other.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

This happens to me all the time, really frustrating.

I want to create an epic sci fi scene with a carrier next to a massive station with a planet in the background, AND I CAN'T FUCKING WELL DRAW IT AND ARRRHAGOIHSD;AGHAR'[IHG\I

Ahem.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

well

that being said, it bothers me that the principle wouldn't at least try disciplinary actions

She was resigned to bullies keeping on bullying. Like, she could talk to him, but that probably wouldn't do anything, so good luck. I don't really care about how hard a spot she was in. At least give students leave to solve their own problems without recourse.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    So far he seems really hung up on things that didn't bother me at all. I don't wanna read too far yet, because I still need to do the very end of the game.

o yeah i thought you'd finished. i'd not read too far until you are done

i didn't think about any of this stuff while i was playing, but afterwards it felt like most of the plot threads never really came together

Yeah for now I'll just leave it at the first page

unlike previous spoilers these are slightly bigger, so Aldo don't click!
    So far his complaints about the reboot and Cerberus are too nitpicky to me. The reboot, while maybe not the most artful way to handle things, serves an important purpose. It gives us passage of time and a solid reason for the current team to disband. Then you have a reason to grab the new characters (which the guy obviously is all about, which makes me chuckle) and bring back whoever else they wanted to keep, complete with new and awesome character plotpoints (garrus and tali). He then apparently has a huge issue with the doc (who is barely a character so why he questions her motivation, I have no idea) and Joker (alliance grounds him, cerberus says hey we'll let you fly, seems pretty reasonable) joining Cerberus. The reasoning on both of them joining works fine for me.

As for his general hatred of Cerberus, to my mind, I don't see the horrific plot-hole filled rewrite that he sees. Cerberus definitely has a questionable past since every encounter you have with them in the first game is negative, and this fact is acknowledged constantly at many points in the game, including the beginning. But suggesting that we know everything about Cerberus because of a few encounters with them in the first game is silly. Suggesting that they've ruined their plot or overall story by not seeding the dual nature of Cerberus in the first game is such a lame point of contention, and he pushes it sooo hard.

He also complains about them intoducing the collectors when there's already a galactic threat. It's completely obvious that that they are part of the same threat. To my mind, having the collectors be the immediate threat in 2 does ALL of the important things right: The Reapers, being locked out of our dimension, are keeping with their MO of using outside agents to get things done; It gives us things to fight that aren't Reapers, because just being able to throw down with them after seeing what they did to the Citadel would be ridiculous at this point in what is supposed to be a trilogy; and finally, it leaves the overarching bad to be fought in the final game like they should be.

So basically, unless I finish the game and then read the rest of the article and we agree eye to eye on the ending, I am going to tentatively stick with "He should shut his mouth before someone pees in it."

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited March 2011

well

She was resigned to bullies keeping on bullying. Like, she could talk to him, but that probably wouldn't do anything, so good luck. I don't really care about how hard a spot she was in. At least give students leave to solve their own problems without recourse.

I can't agree with you on that at all

she was resigned, I wish she wasn't. I don't wish she decided to allow kids to fight out their issues.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Engineers are boring people with boring software.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Back in grade 7 there was this little shit and his two friends who decided to bully me. Boggled my mind at the time, because being one of the biggest dude's in our year, this shit did not happen. When he started going through stuff in my desk and defacing it, I went to the Principal who basically told me "welp, nothing I can do derp derp." So I told her that if he did anything else, if the school didn't get him to back off, I was going to violently assault him. "Welp, we can't stop you, but if you do that we'll suspend you derp derp".

Like, what are the options in that situation? There are no options. I ended up pushing the kid around a bit and making threats, turned out the school was too lazy to stop me too.

I kicked my bully in the nuts when he tried to cut me with scissors. Like literally sever my arm with giant teacher's scissors. It was pretty terrifying to have someone come at you with scissors. I don't think he was expecting to get nut sacked and shoved on the floor.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fluffy by allowing a student, even one being bullied to commit a violent act could cause a lot of problems for the teacher. From disciplinary actions to maybe even being canned. If you took it on your own to fight back, not say anything and maybe do it out of sight of the teacher or if you were caught you probably would have a lighter sentence or disciplinary action.

I can say this from experience. I decked a bully in front of a vice principal in middle school. I was an honor student and had no history of problems. I got let off the hook. The bully ended up getting a suspension. But a teacher cannot come straight out and say sure, go fight the bully so it stops.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    But really if you try to intervene as a teacher sometimes it gets better. Most of the time it just happens when you are not around and gets worse.

Depends on the situation. It only gets worse overall because of institutional apathy towards bullying. If schools introduce comprehensive anti-bullying policies, even though some instances of bullying will continue to occur, there's no reason to believe that bullying would increase in frequency or severity.
    It's self-defense on their part. Bullying doesn't show up directly on statistics. And schools and school funding is driven on statistics. Violence in schools does show up on statistics and is tracked. So you take a problem that is both difficult and resource intensive to stop but doesn't affect the budget directly and it tends to get ignored. But the kid who is being picked on creates a problem that is solvable and does impact the budget and parent reaction. So rules get tightened for one, but not the other.

Yep, exactly this.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When I was in highschool there was a kid a lot of people picked on. We'll call him Greg. So one spring my friend and I were eating lunch out on one of the fields watching the advanced PE class play lacrosse.

Greg was in that class, and everyone, even his own team, were picking on him. Hitting him with the ball, tripping him, etc. The teacher didn't seem to see but then again he was the baseball coach and most of these kids were on his team.

So eventually after an hour of this Greg loses his shit and beats the every loving shit out of one of the kids with his stick.

All the kids who beat on him for years got nothing, he got put into mandatory psychological screening and fell behind a year.

In at least one twist of justice he now makes 6 figures a year.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Back in grade 7 there was this little shit and his two friends who decided to bully me. Boggled my mind at the time, because being one of the biggest dude's in our year, this shit did not happen. When he started going through stuff in my desk and defacing it, I went to the Principal who basically told me "welp, nothing I can do derp derp." So I told her that if he did anything else, if the school didn't get him to back off, I was going to violently assault him. "Welp, we can't stop you, but if you do that we'll suspend you derp derp".

Like, what are the options in that situation? There are no options. I ended up pushing the kid around a bit and making threats, turned out the school was too lazy to stop me too.

Back at my school you just ... "handled" situations like that outside of the school grounds.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011

well

she was resigned, I wish she wasn't. I don't wish she decided to allow kids to fight out their issues.

Zero tolerance policies 'cause more problems than they're worth. Suspending a kid for self-defense is abhorrent, and I find it difficult to respect its supporters. Harassment or punishment -- a kid should never be in that position.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Encouraging kids to fight out their issues causes escalation far more than disciplinary action does.

Feral on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I think about the bullying issue a lot. Some LGBT groups recently lobbied our state government because they were trying to shoot down an anti-bullying bill because it including definitive language protecting sexual orientation. Representatives actually pretended that no one ever said the word faggot in school, and "when I was in school, we called people who were weird like, smarty, or something." It was a hilarious exercise in denial.

That sort of denial is intrinsic to our educational system in the U.S., which is part of the problem. I don't think you can even legislate protection against bullies effectively, but there needs to be a support program for dealing with it, other than zero tolerance, which puts blame on the victim, since any kind of report gets the bully permabanned from the normal school system.

I'd argue for a counseling system, but there is no funding, and the people teaching and managing our schools are getting educational Ph. D.s in banality, process management, and teaching methods from the early 1900s. They are effectively the HR version of what an educator should be.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    If you really want to see how our educators are being taught, sit in on some education courses at your university. If we want to improve our teachers, we need to start from the top down, and stop allowing kindergarten metrics of intelligence to be applied to undergraduates in education classes.

This is anecdotal, but some of the essays I've seen read like they came from fifth-graders, not juniors in college. Things like "Bullying is bad because it hurts people. I do not like bullying. More should be done about bullying in our school systems."

):

• Options
    edited March 2011

Back at my school you just ... "handled" situations like that outside of the school grounds.

We handled it at school and just took the suspension. I loved it when I got an out of school suspension for fighting back. "So you mean officially you're punishing me but what you're really saying is that if I break a bullies nose then I get a day or three off?" They wised up when I was in seventh grade and started doing in school suspensions for fighting. Hated those.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Feral bullying exist. And yes a comprehensive policy can help limit it. But it doesn't get rid of it. It can even push some bullies to be even more vicious in areas where a teacher or administrator cannot see it. And a lot of times it comes down to a "he said, she said" thing. Where you either make the decision on punishment based on the bullied's word or not. And that can have consequences as well.

Not saying that having a comprehensive policy isn't good. It is. I have worked in schools where bullying is a sever problem. I have had students who for a time stopped going to school because of it in Japan. And it isn't an easy, simple or really black and white problem to solve. And this is just talking about bullying between students, not even bullying done by teachers, administrators and staff.

Maybe just working a few years in public schools in Japan and subbing here in the states has already made me jaded but I don't think there is an easy answer for the teacher and how they should react.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

We handled it at school and just took the suspension. I loved it when I got an out of school suspension for fighting back. "So you mean officially you're punishing me but what you're really saying is that if I break a bullies nose then I get a day or three off?" They wised up when I was in seventh grade and started doing in school suspensions for fighting. Hated those.

Yeah, I got one of those once. Sucked.

Kitsap was odd as its a rural out-in-the-woods kind of place that has several reservations (the elementary school I went to was on a res). Other than Tribal cops there wasn't exactly a lot of law and order around.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow.

Someone on facebook just posted an image that says "Obama spends, Jesus saves."

:x

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I did not want to eat a suspension when I was a kid. My folks would have flipped their shit in a bad way, and I was still under the impression that a permanent record was a real thing.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Find a Jesus was a hippie picture to counter them.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.